House Renaissance

Comments

• Nim said:
    I agree with @Sena. Give Cyrene magi and Hashan alchemists. :3

Everyone will hate the idea now, but once the trade skill split happens, it'll be fine again. :3

Magi have always been inherently 'good', in my opinion. 

I suppose they're arguably a neutral good, given their focus on harmony, balance, and aesthetically pleasing crystals.

Kind of like Cyrene (if you ignore the crystal part). :3

• MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Daklore said:

I mean, some of Ty Beirdd's practices should definitely change...(like, your stance on combat, come on guys, we need bards that can hit things in a raid. I'm looking at you @madelyne :P)

Yeah. Every time the house tried to encourage combat, it failed -- with the exception of about three people. Plus, we're bards. We drink, write poems, and do things like this:

You squish the clay between your fingers, the natural warmth from your palms turning it pink. Manipulating a lump of pink modelling clay with your fingers, you deftly mould it into a striking image of a miniature runeblade. Manipulating a pink clay runeblade with your fingers, you deftly mould it into a striking image of a miniature sword. Manipulating a pink clay sword with your fingers, you deftly mould it into a striking image of a miniature rapier. Manipulating a pink clay rapier with your fingers, you deftly mould it into a striking image of a miniature dagger. (Hey @daklore look, I'm a forger! Haha.)

On a more serious note.

When I first started playing Achaea in 2005, Madelyne whined to Juliet that, "I probably won't ever find a guild because I hate combat." Juliet pointed her to Ty Beirdd, a guild that was newly converted into a house. The rest is history.

And while IRL I know it's history, and that in the end having Madelyne pushed from her comfort zone probably won't be a bad thing, getting her to realise it won't be easy. I don't -want- to do what someone else suggested, and throw OOC leeway into how she'll react. She's heartbroken, and feels like she's losing her family.

A lot of people in the house feel this way. Just a few minutes ago, this happened:

(Dilettantes): Alynne says, "I'm saying that from the perspective of someone joining the house for the short time, I at least still find it worth it."

That's because for those who -get- it, and understand what it means to belong to the house, any amount of time spent there is a privilege. And more than worth it. Our group of rag-tag poets, dancers, painters, and such will split apart, move on, and never be the same, because once Ty Beirdd ceases to exist as a house, a little piece of each of its members will cease to exist, as well.

• edited May 2014
    Silas said:

I'm not sure why there's such reluctance about using this as a platform to firm up the factionalisation of the factional classes. Nature is the only faction with complete control over its factional classes. Other factions are expected to just make do with the status quo, with weak assertions of "history" to back it up.

This is the perfect opportunity to remove Devotion from Cyrene's future, Occultism (and Necromancy?) from Hashan's, and to give those factions their own factional classes to build their identity around.

Factional classes are more than just PK perks, they can be used by leaders to create the core identity of a faction. It's easy to identify Targossas's factional ideals when it has (allegedly) exclusive access to the Paladin and Priest classes, and the same is true of Occultists in Ashtan, Necromancers in Mhaldor and the forestal classes in Eleusis. Give Cyrene Runies and Bards, and allow them a theme of the arts backed by earth magic (mountains, etc.) and give Hashan Shaman to tie them more firmly into Darkness.

Seems like such a no-brainer to me, but the admins seem reluctant to pull the gun, and I don't understand why. Removing Priest/Paladin from the list of accepted classes in Cyrene's new Houses, and doing the same for the rest of the factional classes that have similar crossovers, costs nobody and benefits everybody.

While the idea in theory seems interesting, there are several blockades that would never let it come to fruitation. This being aside from Tecton just a few posts ago saying "We arent planning on this".

- Firstly, Shaman is an extremely lackluster class. Yes I know some few of you out there are of the Shaman fan-club, but the fact is it doesn't have the flavor nor the means to be a leading class of a faction. For example, Shamans are 'apparently' connected to the spirit realm, as seen through the Spirit Walkers guild, yet exactly how many events or associations have we been shown in the game via the spirit realm? Rare, -extremely rare- and far between. Additionally, the Shamans skills do not even significantly demonstrate such a concept nor connection. Yes Runelore and Vodun is 'spiritual' in nature, but simply something being 'spiritual in nature' and not actually drawing the eye of people to say "ooh..look at all that spirit" is a big difference in attraction.

- Secondly, certain classes are simply a necessity in all orgs simply from their kit. In time, Concoctions and transmutations is going to become a trade skill which would remove the necessity of those classes, however that still retains the need of Totems in runelore for example. Additionally, the concept of a Knight is a universal one for all players, and to attempt to limit that to just 3 orgs would be a big mistake.

Edit: Frankly if ever Shamans were to receive a remake to bring them more in line with factions, I would vote towards removing the entire 'spirit plane' concept and attempting to instill a more 'powers gifted by Darkness' theme. That would help along the lines of giving shamans a stronger identity and flavor in game.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    One, how does the triumvirate that started the Chaos Wars and teamed with Pazuzu being related to a class make that class "good." (Musta been some serious crack pipe hits going on in this discussion {let's face it you all spend too much on credits for a coke habit})

Two, stop trying to make Shamans a popular class that's just never gonna be a thing. While factionalising it does sound like cool RP, what like three people would be forced to move to Hashan.

Three magi being only living in Cyrene just sounds like a clusterfuck. Where would anyone get enchantments? Also, do we really want them laying retardation before they call for guards?

Last while we're at it, let's factionalise races:

Humans and atavians only in Ashtan (chaos/abstar)

Dwarves only in Cyrene

Xorans I'm mhaldor ( where would we put them)

Mhuns in Targ just cause and

Hashan gets all the others Siren, Raja, and satyr(hope I don't have to explain that one)
  • TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    Jinsun said:
    One, how does the triumvirate that started the Chaos Wars and teamed with Pazuzu being related to a class make that class "good." (Musta been some serious crack pipe hits going on in this discussion {let's face it you all spend too much on credits for a coke habit})

Two, stop trying to make Shamans a popular class that's just never gonna be a thing. While factionalising it does sound like cool RP, what like three people would be forced to move to Hashan.

Three magi being only living in Cyrene just sounds like a clusterfuck. Where would anyone get enchantments? Also, do we really want them laying retardation before they call for guards?

Last while we're at it, let's factionalise races:

Humans and atavians only in Ashtan (chaos/abstar)

Dwarves only in Cyrene

Xorans I'm mhaldor ( where would we put them)

Mhuns in Targ just cause and

Hashan gets all the others Siren, Raja, and satyr(hope I don't have to explain that one)

You forgot Eleusis. What do we get?

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Tohran said:

Jinsun said:

All I want with the Renaissance is Babel Eris back. :(

Fixed that for ya!

Oh, meant to say, Tsol'aa duh.

• Asmodron said:
    Silas said:

I'm not sure why there's such reluctance about using this as a platform to firm up the factionalisation of the factional classes. Nature is the only faction with complete control over its factional classes. Other factions are expected to just make do with the status quo, with weak assertions of "history" to back it up.

This is the perfect opportunity to remove Devotion from Cyrene's future, Occultism (and Necromancy?) from Hashan's, and to give those factions their own factional classes to build their identity around.

Factional classes are more than just PK perks, they can be used by leaders to create the core identity of a faction. It's easy to identify Targossas's factional ideals when it has (allegedly) exclusive access to the Paladin and Priest classes, and the same is true of Occultists in Ashtan, Necromancers in Mhaldor and the forestal classes in Eleusis. Give Cyrene Runies and Bards, and allow them a theme of the arts backed by earth magic (mountains, etc.) and give Hashan Shaman to tie them more firmly into Darkness.

Seems like such a no-brainer to me, but the admins seem reluctant to pull the gun, and I don't understand why. Removing Priest/Paladin from the list of accepted classes in Cyrene's new Houses, and doing the same for the rest of the factional classes that have similar crossovers, costs nobody and benefits everybody.

While the idea in theory seems interesting, there are several blockades that would never let it come to fruitation. This being aside from Tecton just a few posts ago saying "We arent planning on this".

- Firstly, Shaman is an extremely lackluster class. Yes I know some few of you out there are of the Shaman fan-club, but the fact is it doesn't have the flavor nor the means to be a leading class of a faction. For example, Shamans are 'apparently' connected to the spirit realm, as seen through the Spirit Walkers guild, yet exactly how many events or associations have we been shown in the game via the spirit realm? Rare, -extremely rare- and far between. 

(Butting in here, they are rare because SW house doesn't do event anymore, last one was done by Mannimar which made the events board and it was just a ritual to make a cloak for Ourania)

Additionally, the Shamans skills do not even significantly demonstrate such a concept nor connection. Yes Runelore and Vodun is 'spiritual' in nature, but simply something being 'spiritual in nature' and not actually drawing the eye of people to say "ooh..look at all that spirit" is a big difference in attraction.

(While I somewhat agree with you on this, if you actually play the class and look at what your doing when you USE Vodun you will see the connection. Especially when your vodun doll comes alive and opens it's eyes and it's description changes. Spirits are clearly not meant to be obvious, they are meant to be something that is subtle and all around you all the time. Also, I don't think Runelore has any real connection to spirits, it is some words carved on the World Tree that you can write on the ground and use. Not really spirit based. Curses in my view are though, as your inflicting your will on another person by pointing at them, connecting to a 'Spirit of Malady' as we call it in the Shaman RP world.)

(Also, by use Vodun that doesn't mean puppetry either. They have different reactions based on whether they are Vodun or puppetry)

- Secondly, certain classes are simply a necessity in all orgs simply from their kit. In time, Concoctions and transmutations is going to become a trade skill which would remove the necessity of those classes, however that still retains the need of Totems in runelore for example. Additionally, the concept of a Knight is a universal one for all players, and to attempt to limit that to just 3 orgs would be a big mistake.

Edit: Frankly if ever Shamans were to receive a remake to bring them more in line with factions, I would vote towards removing the entire 'spirit plane' concept and attempting to instill a more 'powers gifted by Darkness' theme. That would help along the lines of giving shamans a stronger identity and flavor in game.

(Again, we have an identity in the game, we just don't have anyone promoting it like other classes do. We don't study the elements...using the darker side of Mysticism doesn't automatically mean we worship twilight and all ill-will comes from him. Shaman point at a person and inflict their "Ill-will" upon a person to curse them. Stripping the Spirit Realm, as it isn't even a plane if you would ever get into their RP, would be very weird to me unless they did it in a very real way. Also, darkness doesn't have any themed power....if they do it's in things like Occultism and Necromancy in which you can turn the room dark. Maybe mental afflictions are Darkness' theme? I mean what is a darkness theme? Do you want shaman to shoot bolts of shadow at people?)

Just because most people here don't play/understand that Shaman have a long standing RP theme that only some people have even preserved doesn't mean it isn't there. Many people in the past when the SW house actually promoted the RP knew what it was and everyone just forgot because of they do not use it anymore. I do wish someone would fix that as the RP was great up until the Curia and SW split and they turned it into some Religious war where one side preserved all the past info and the other side keeps trying to make new info but just ends up killing their house.

I think that the SW house as it is should be the people who conduct Spirit based RP, the Curia Spiritus is just a clan after all. Yet, it seems to me that Hashan turned away from Spirit RP a long time ago and have since lost their identity. In my view, a lot of Hashan's faction problems is that they don't want to be Neutral which is what Spirit RP is. Although they have an opportunity to be something new and changing the RP of one class to make the theme of an entire city seems like a big mistake unless those of that class get the opportunity to continue their RP in some way. While I might be a part of the Shaman fan-club it is because I have been RPing as a shaman for about a year now and I think it is fun and enjoyable. I'm sure the Apostate fan-club loves being an apostate and loves the evil RP that comes with it, the Priest fan-club loves being a priest and the good RP that comes with it, and I am very sure the Serpent loves the sneaky back-stabby RP that comes with it. Eveyone likes the class their playing or else they would play a different one, I didn't choose Shaman RP because it was 'Darkness' and if it's going to change I should at least get the chance to change with it.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA

Geez guys, can't take a joke?

• Kuy said:
    Every time you guys mention that clan, it feels more and more about some personal slight towards the SW/Hashan than some 'noble' goal of preserving the past.

I have no opinion about it, mind you. I'm just saying the way you guys talk about everything on the forums (and the little I've heard about it in game) doesn't help whatever cause your bearing :/

Well unfortunately I don't have anything else to compare it to, I am in the clan and I was in the house. I suppose I can compare it to the Rogue Occultist clan but I never really did anything in there. I can compare it to the Institute of Alchemy, which I have, I think that Hellen has done a great job with it she has defined the Alchemist RP for the city of Hashan and it's the only place where I have seen Alchemist RP defined. Mind you I did alt for a while as an Alchemist in Targossas and in Ashtan only, so I haven't seen what Mhaldor or Cyrene does with it. 

The only real reason I mention the Curia clan is because were talking about Shaman and our entire RP in the Curia is that we are Shaman....I mean our original founding people were Shaman who broke from the SW house so...

Either way, if you have heard little about it IG it is probably because you never asked us about it, I can tell you that several people have heard about it. When they do hear about it, it is because they contact someone who is in the clan and talk to them and ask them questions about it. You don't learn about someones RP by not RPing with them :P 

Also, I don't hear much about Mhaldor Shaman RP, doesn't mean it doesn't exist but I hear nothing about it and I have never asked about it either. I also have no idea what the Ty Beirdd does, apparently they do what I consider circus acts, but I still have no idea what it is or anything about it. Because I have never RP'd with them, a lack of RP is not an excuse for a lack of understanding or a valid reason why you have never heard of them. You can always read the crap on the news boards.

• You're still doing it.

[2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • edited May 2014
    Kuy said:
    Every time you guys mention that clan, it feels more and more about some personal slight towards the SW/Hashan than some 'noble' goal of preserving the past.

I have no opinion about it, mind you. I'm just saying the way you guys talk about everything on the forums (and the little I've heard about it in game) doesn't help whatever cause your bearing :/

I humgii'd a journal (full journal, seriously) a week about/from the clan. Was rather amusing. Made me lose all respect, of course (who does anything but ignore repeated adverts?), but was a laugh. But the way all conversations they seem to join on the forums turn to the same topic... I have to agree.

On topic, I'd say do one thing at a time. House Renaissance, then Tradeskills, then Multiclass (or those last two reversed), THEN look into furthering factional identity. Considering the House Renaissance, it may sort itself out or it may not, but I say at least give it a chance to let players use it to establish stronger factional identity before trying to step in further.

Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited May 2014
    Kuy said:
    You're still doing it.

Trevize said:
    Kuy said:

I humgii'd a journal (full journal, seriously) a week about/from the clan. Was rather amusing. Made me lose all respect, of course (who does anything but ignore repeated adverts?), but was a laugh. But the way all conversations they seem to join on the forums turn to the same topic... I have to agree.

On topic, I'd say do one thing at a time. House Renaissance, then Tradeskills, then Multiclass (or those last two reversed), THEN look into furthering factional identity. Considering the House Renaissance, it may sort itself out or it may not, but I say at least give it a chance to let players use it to establish stronger factional identity before trying to step in further.

I'm sorry I have an opinion and a point of view, if it pisses you off that much don't comment?

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited May 2014
    Kuy said:

Hey there, I am not sure who you are including in "you guys" - @Achirmst

I haven't heard him say much on preserving the past. He has been vehement in his opposition to "powers of Darkness," and with good reason. The number of shamans living outside Hashan and disconnected from Darkness are far greater than those dwelling in the city. 

Maybe he does feel some personal slight toward the SW and Hashan as well but I don't think that is what ultimately fuels the majority of his counterarguments. There are concerns about the integrity of the class's roleplay history and existence being either diluted or ruined by such a change that are very real. But I'll let him speak to that.

For people who argue that Shamans aren't connected to the spirit realm - they are. Every recent change to skills has made them more so, literally making mention of "spirits" in some vodun abilities for instance. 

For people who argue that Shamans are inherently dark (apart from IC roleplay about this) - Curses may be from the darker side of mysticism, but vodun is not really. That sympathetic/empathetic magick is found in every village with shamans  - the Kamleikan spirit house (a kind of ongon with ongod within it), the Tomaculan shaman and her jaguar skull, etc. If shamans are dark, then there are quite a few cultures in the game that must cowtow to Twilight too because they have a shaman leading them. Fortunately, this doesn't really make sense and is historically inaccurate. 

Shamans don't need a stronger identity in the game. Their identity is obvious from their collective history, the various cultures that are led or include a shamanic practitioner, etc. If anyone needs additives to boost their flavor in the game as shaman, you're not half trying. 

There are examples of just about every type of OOC shaman practitioner in the game's various IC cultures -- from Korean to Native American influences all showing how being a shaman means serving your community, in particular through healing maladies of the spirit. We're given nearly free license to run with this concept. If some people aren't strong enough roleplayers to do that, then I have to question why they should be handed a ready-made faction of any kind that may negatively impact players who are stronger roleplayers.

Apart from discussions of a factional class, I do hope the House Renaissance brings some real unity and cohesion to the Spirit Walkers. The House today is neither what its founder wished, nor what any of its Council had envisioned when the House was first formed and that has been severely weakened it as a result. A fresh start apart from all these ideas - perhaps apart from the idea of itself as the original Shamans guild all together - would be better, I think, than trying to factionalize a class that has largely emancipated itself from the House.

But I've already stated that I'm Team Alchemist. :wink: 

• BluefBluef Delos
    Trevize said:
    Kuy said:

Not going to derail here too much because this can be better hashed out in messages, but since you decided to rip on the clan I'll say this much here: It wasn't an advertisement. Your House had a journal about the Curia, which contained a lot of bullshit in it. The clan wrote a corrected version and distributed it to the membership. 

Roleplaying lies tends to have that impact IC - people seek to resolve them. 

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited May 2014
    Jacen said:

Sounds like the SW went through a slump, you guys took the heart of the House and bailed, and now you just like to talk shit about the players and atmosphere that you killed by splitting it up. 

Re: factional classes, let's put in a huge effort in the Renaissance, see if we can really get Hashan turned around in all categories (RP, combat, etc), and show that we're deserving of the admin time it'll take to develop, balance, and implement a new class. A Hashan class, right now, isn't even being considered. Let's change the admin's minds on that by developing ourselves IGly into a faction that deserves a class.

I sort of agree with this, although they went a completely different direction with the RP and than they stopped doing anything. They should have all the information still. Some of the people who left went back later and wrote new books too, specifically after Apollyon wasn't patron anymore as those books reference not using this information for evil. Which is what caused the difference in the first place. 

I originally joined the Curia to get some of the information back, but Mannimar and Xadzia made it very clear they didn't want it. I also shared it with Tema and Kybrae when we were talking about peace with one another. The patron of the SW house made it clear to Kybrae that they didn't want it. Last I heard about that house was that they were building new RP, which I think is great they should. Although there is only so much building you can do with this particular RP, they wanted Hashan and the house to be evil and it didn't work out and now they want to be something comparable to evil which I just find weird and insincere. So I only have the RP that was developed to go off of an to build my character on, if they want it all they have to do is talk to me about it but that isn't something that can actually happen now.

Also for the record, I personally only left the house about a year ago, so I didn't take anything with me when that happened. I tried to RP in the SW house and as I have shared before in some thread I can't find right now...and I chose to try and help the house but it ended up not working out how I wanted. I accepted the consequences and so here we are.

• BluefBluef Delos
    Jacen said:

Sounds like the SW went through a slump, you guys took the heart of the House and bailed, and now you just like to talk shit about the players and atmosphere that you killed by splitting it up. 

Re: factional classes, let's put in a huge effort in the Renaissance, see if we can really get Hashan turned around in all categories (RP, combat, etc), and show that we're deserving of the admin time it'll take to develop, balance, and implement a new class. A Hashan class, right now, isn't even being considered. Let's change the admin's minds on that by developing ourselves IGly into a faction that deserves a class.

You're quoting IC propaganda on an OOC forum. That is not what actually happened, @Jacen. The split and downfall of the House had nothing to do with Bluef, personally. Not at the start of its decline and not now, years later. Let's stick to facts and leave the forum RP out of the serious discussion here. 

Knights were supposed to be a big Hashani thing once upon the time, but the city didn't support it. This was pre-blademaster and pre-alchemist, which is already a really great fit for a Night-themed class. A new class would be neat though - I'm not against it!

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Asmodron said:

oh god. I was fearful if I mentioned the word "spirit" that the curia brigade would appear. Sigh.

Shall we move on and stop kicking that dead horse that no one even liked riding anyway?

Wanna explain their lore, too? lulz

• VayneVayne Rhode Island

While the whole Shaman argument is largely irrelevant to the Renaissance, I am going to have to admit that Bluef is being quite reasonable in her comments while it is quite apparent that Archimirst is solely speaking out of spite for Hashan and should take it elsewhere please.

• Vayne said:

While the whole Shaman argument is largely irrelevant to the Renaissance, I am going to have to admit that Bluef is being quite reasonable in her comments while it is quite apparent that Archimirst is solely speaking out of spite for Hashan and should take it elsewhere please.

I am definitely not spiteful of Hashan, I am spiteful of some of those who decide metagaming is more important than actual RP though. I do sincerely hope that Hashan gets better with this renaissance and this all stemmed out of Occultists becoming an Ashtan only conversation and than people trying to say Shaman have no RP and need to be made 'Darkness'

I honestly think that the whole shaman thing will be made irrelevant when the houses are all changed in direction and like people are saying, along with the Knight classes,  things could easily be done with clans. 

Bottom line is, what you see as spite is my complete unwillingness to RP with Metagamers. Which is why I didn't leave the Curia to be capable of joining Vastar's order, and why I didn't leave the Curia to rejoin Hashan after I was ousted. I also agreed with Deladan that this discussion is basically over so if you want to talk to me more about it we can always do it in messages.

• Every thread Bluef touches turns into something about her, and eventually devolves into Hashan. 

• edited May 2014

@Tecton , @Sarapis : I think regardless of what changes are made, the single recommendation I'd make is that the house structure not undergo total revolution again. I remember getting into the Church and seeing so much in it, and shortly after it was scrapped and replaced. Likewise with the Guilds, and the succeeding concepts of Houses. A lot of people put a ton of effort into Houses, and I think they'll be discouraged if so much they worked for gets the axe. I know a lot of present concepts are being integrated into the new system. I just think it would be better if people had a guarantee that what they join and help to build will remain, even if it takes longer to roll out the system. I understand things are always changing, but I think tradition is a vital part of Achaea, and it would be better if that developed relatively unharmed. Being a part of like a 450 year old organization is pretty special, especially if it is, in its core, the organization it was 450 years ago. Just my two cents.