Memorable quotes

Comments

• edited February 2017
    I dunno

I personally find that if something has associations OOC but is covered up well enough IC, then it is okay. Mostly it is a bonus if it is comical.

Example of someone singing the aladdin song but with an achaean twist? Hilarious. Not to your character but it hilarious to you, the player. That is what this is about. It targets you the player but with the veil of IC. I tend to enjoy them..so long as they remember not to go too far.

So to wrap it up, if they arent breaking the barrier but merely cozing up to it for comical relief, then I dont see the issue
  • Klendathu said:
    I do wonder if it had been someone else who posted it, and Jinsun wasn't involved, whether the torches would have been lit and the pitchforks sharpened with quite such enthusiasm...

As it was, it was a minute where people in the city united, sharing a joke. No regrets.
    It has nothing to do with Jinsun at all.

I hate all Monty Python references pretty much equally. They're overdone, overplayed, and they stopped being funny 15 years ago.
  • Asmodron said:
    I dunno

I personally find that if something has associations OOC but is covered up well enough IC, then it is okay. Mostly it is a bonus if it is comical.

Example of someone singing the aladdin song but with an achaean twist? Hilarious. Not to your character but it hilarious to you, the player. That is what this is about. It targets you the player but with the veil of IC. I tend to enjoy them..so long as they remember not to go too far.

So to wrap it up, if they arent breaking the barrier but merely cozing up to it for comical relief, then I dont see the issue
    A million times this. I innately think of books like the Discworld Series that consistently reference "OOC" events, technologies, ideas but wrap them up in the lore of the world (note, I'm not just talking about big things like the plot to Raising Steam but smaller mundane comments by characters to one another). It has "IC" meaning to the characters involved but we as the reader also get the "OOC" connection and humor.
  • edited February 2017
    Rangor said:
    I still don't know what OOC thing was being referenced, and therefore didn't understand anything from the log. :(
    I don't have the slightest clue either and I am American.

The only thing I recognized was the Aladdin song in Lukan's post. That shit was hilarious.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited February 2017
    Ashtan CT is fine 95% of the time these days. 

• Nazihk said:
    Klendathu said:
    I do wonder if it had been someone else who posted it, and Jinsun wasn't involved, whether the torches would have been lit and the pitchforks sharpened with quite such enthusiasm...

As it was, it was a minute where people in the city united, sharing a joke. No regrets.
    It has nothing to do with Jinsun at all.

I hate all Monty Python references pretty much equally. They're overdone, overplayed, and they stopped being funny 15 years ago.
    Bring this man a SHRUBBERY!!!

(ok, not the greatest reference ever, but it's early and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so there)

• Liyane said:
    Asmodron said:
    I dunno

A million times this. I innately think of books like the Discworld Series that consistently reference "OOC" events, technologies, ideas but wrap them up in the lore of the world (note, I'm not just talking about big things like the plot to Raising Steam but smaller mundane comments by characters to one another). It has "IC" meaning to the characters involved but we as the reader also get the "OOC" connection and humor.
    I've never read Discworld, but I suspect that it's handled considerably better than it generally is in Achaea. I've not seen an example of it being done in Achaea that wasn't painfully obvious and didn't feel lazy as a result.
  • And let's not forget Sartan the evil god is one letter away from Satan and being evil and worshipping sartan isn't actually about being bad it's about amassing power just like satanism. I'm just laughing now that I think about it
  • Antonius said:
    Liyane said:
    Asmodron said:
    I dunno

I've never read Discworld, but I suspect that it's handled considerably better than it generally is in Achaea. I've not seen an example of it being done in Achaea that wasn't painfully obvious and didn't feel lazy as a result.
    Sometimes it is but it's frequently just as obvious as it is in Achaea.

I'd just point to Jinsun's list of parts of the game that are innately OOC references but add to the list that the game's name itself is a reference to a region in Greece and many of the gods are either direct references to "OOC" gods (Demeter, Artemis, even Sarapis) or just Latin words (Lupus, Aegis). Do these references diminish people's immersion into the game at all? I doubt it.

I think the important thing is how we react to these (do we just roll with it in character and laugh behind the scenes a bit? or do we call out insanity, which as mentioned previously could prove to be equally insane) and that we're not going around saying "Hey, just like that scene in Transformers!"
  • Aegis is a shield that Zeus and Athena use
  • Jinsun said:
    Aegis is a shield that Zeus and Athena use

That too, I was just saying that aegis literally means shields but I'm sure the meanings are connected.
    Jinsun said:
    And let's not forget Sartan the evil god is one letter away from Satan and being evil and worshipping sartan isn't actually about being bad it's about amassing power just like satanism. I'm just laughing now that I think about it
    http://img.pandawhale.com/post-28231-wreck-it-Ralph-thanks-satan-uh-YgH5.gif 
  • Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:
    Has nothing to do with Jinsun at all. Trying to pass off blatantly OOC things as IC by changing a word or two is just incredibly stupid. I don't know if people think they're being clever when they do it, but they're not. Definitely not limited to Ashtan though, I see people do it in Targ all the time.

Worst part is you can't call them out for it ICly because they're not technically being OOC, even if everybody knows they're referencing something that is.
    What he said. Also, the Aladdin bullshit in Mhaldor referenced wasn't over CT, it was in a room just off the main thoroughfare. It's equally retarded, but semi-private. Would equally call it out if it had been on CT. The only thing that I am likely to call @Jinsun out for over other people, considering he hasn't done anything directly to me that I can recollect, is whining about the treatment he gets because he does so repeatedly. It's not even NEW content, it's the same tired checklist every time.

That said, Jin, you actually look like you're finally taking my advice. People like funny idiots more than they like shit-talking pirates and thieves.

• Trey said:
    Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:
    Has nothing to do with Jinsun at all. Trying to pass off blatantly OOC things as IC by changing a word or two is just incredibly stupid. I don't know if people think they're being clever when they do it, but they're not. Definitely not limited to Ashtan though, I see people do it in Targ all the time.

Worst part is you can't call them out for it ICly because they're not technically being OOC, even if everybody knows they're referencing something that is.
    What he said. Also, the Aladdin bullshit in Mhaldor referenced wasn't over CT, it was in a room just off the main thoroughfare. It's equally retarded, but semi-private. Would equally call it out if it had been on CT. The only thing that I am likely to call @Jinsun out for over other people, considering he hasn't done anything directly to me that I can recollect, is whining about the treatment he gets because he does so repeatedly. It's not even NEW content, it's the same tired checklist every time.

That said, Jin, you actually look like you're finally taking my advice. People like funny idiots more than they like shit-talking pirates and thieves.
    Could you just like find a new hobby? This is kind of old hat. "Everyone hates Jinsun" *cue laugh track.* it's not even new content it's just "insult jinsun over really anything he says" "jinsun calls you a dick." "You call jinsun a whiny asshole who deserves to be treated like shit because everyone hates him." People get out their pitch forks yad yada. God forbid anyone find enjoyment in this game without your approval. Gatekeeping Assclown
  • Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:

Could you just like find a new hobby? This is kind of old hat. "Everyone hates Jinsun" *cue laugh track.* it's not even new content it's just "insult jinsun over really anything he says" "jinsun calls you a dick." "You call jinsun a whiny asshole who deserves to be treated like shit because everyone hates him." People get out their pitch forks yad yada. God forbid anyone find enjoyment in this game without your approval. Gatekeeping Assclown

But I *LIKE* the "What's a Hashan?" and, "Oh, Jinsun!" jokes!
  • Isn't there an Archon with a wet snowflake accent. I'm trying to stay out of this because I'm a filthy RP elitist and this stuff puts me on supertilt, but pls. It's all bad, and all detracts from the game world. That doesn't mean it can't be funny too, in the same way offensive jokes are also often hilarious.
  • edited February 2017
    Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:

>cries about the same thing over and over while doing nothing of substance to change it

>calls something else "old hat"

• Trey said:
    Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:

>cries about the same thing over and over while doing nothing of substance to change it

Admits to having little to no interaction with me.

Constant and one of the most vocal about my "behavior"

Guys can we start a gofundme to buy Trey a fucking life?
  • Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:

• Trey said:
    Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:

How is bleaching your asshole gonna stop you from starting fights over ic credibility in memorable quotes like it's an important thing? All I can see is it may sting Antonious Pepe a little if you don't rinse first.
  • Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Jinsun said:
    Trey said:
    Antonius said:
    Klendathu said:

How is bleaching your asshole gonna stop you from starting fights over ic credibility in memorable quotes like it's an important thing? All I can see is it may sting Antonious Pepe a little if you don't rinse first.

•              
  • But it's delicious-looking soup :(

• I feel bad that I didnt get the last picture :(

Looks like an interesting meal though
  • Asmodron said:
    I feel bad that I didnt get the last picture :(

Looks like an interesting meal though
    Oh it didn't mean anything, I was browsing Imgur and it looked so good I wanted to share it with everyone.