Quick Questions

Comments

• EldEld
    edited March 2013
    Sena said:
    Tekk said:
    Does anyone have a comparison of Horkval armor? Something like 20/20, 30/30? 
    10% damage resistance. How that compares to actual armour depends on the attack, since different attacks have different armour-reducible portions, while damage resistance applies to the full damage.
    I thought we decided it was less than 10, maybe even closer to 5. I think I got some numbers for it with backstab damage a while back, but may have forgotten to write them down. Come to think of it, assuming backstab is cutting damage, I might've gotten thrown off by toughness, anyway.
  • Just tested it again, it is 10%. Falling from the sky (which is blunt damage) as a horkval with 515 health did 332 damage. Normally it's 200 + 33% of max health. 515*0.33+200=369.95, 369*0.9=332.1.
  • Sena said:
    Just tested it again, it is 10%. Falling from the sky (which is blunt damage) as a horkval with 515 health did 332 damage. Normally it's 200 + 33% of max health. 515*0.33+200=369.95, 369*0.9=332.1.
    Based on that formula for falling damage, I get closer to 20%. 1558 out of 5287 max or 1639 out of 5596.
  • edited March 2013
    Eld said:
    Based on that formula for falling damage, I get closer to 20%. 1558 out of 5287 max or 1639 out of 5596.
    Hmm. Do you have avoidance?

And in case it matters, I was falling by flying with jackdaw/owl/eagle morph and then unmorphing.
  • Sena said:
    Eld said:
    Hmm. Do you have avoidance?

And in case it matters, I was falling by flying with jackdaw/owl/eagle morph and then unmorphing.
    Ahhh, yeah, trans avoidance. So I guess that's about 11%? How you fall doesn't seem to make a difference, or at least I got the same damage getting hoisted and dropped as I did getting spat out one of the vents in Nuskuwe.
  • I can't tell if it's worth it for me to reincarnate as a horkval or stay a satyr with 51/30 armor. 
  • Tekk said:
    I can't tell if it's worth it for me to reincarnate as a horkval or stay a satyr with 51/30 armor. 
    Play the race you want to be, and find the best armour you can for it. Or, if you're set on choosing a race purely for mechanics, try running around with an algiz rune and no armour for a while and see how cutting and blunt attacks compare to armour with no rune; just remember that algiz will reduce damage from all attacks while hork resistance is just blunt and cutting.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Eld said:
    I've heard before that icon power decays faster the more it's drawn on, i.e. it will drop faster when a large number of house members are logged in than when a fewer are. Anyone know if that's true?
    Yes. It's the cost of having a bigger, more active house.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Did forging get nerfed/changed in the last year or so?

I've done a bit since I started playing again, and the best I managed to forge in roughly 1,300 rapiers was 54-154-231 and that's a pretty bad rapier. I used to get a few 235s and 239s (or at the very least more/better 231 speed ones) in similar batches pretty much every time I forged in the past, but I figured it might just be a streak of bad luck or something. When doing fullplates, I got a 101/93 and a 93/101 in about 300 attempts. Is this consistent with peoples' expectations for fullplates, too?

Is forging only profitable when doing orders for people these days? Factoring in smelting, I've already lost ~4,800 steel doing the rapiers, which is about 450,000 gold (I typically paid a bit over 90 gold for each steel).

A bit frustrated at the moment. O well, guess there's up and downs and winning the forging lottery.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I don't believe it has. @Peak and @Trey would be good to ask though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Does anyone know how "average" activity is measured for the "you must be averaging 5 hours per week" rule for the new credit sale system?
  • I assume its a mean, but who knows.

• Antidas said:
    I assume its a mean, but who knows.
    Well, yes, but the mean of what is the question. Is it just the mean number of hours you've played in each of the last N weeks, and if so, what's N? Is it the last N weeks measured from today (so between now and 7N days ago) or measured from Sunday to Sunday? If the latter, do hours played in the current week count toward it, or do they not get included until the week ends?
  • Achaea's week begins on Sunday on Serenade.  So just sync it up to that.
  • Achaea's week begins on Sunday on Serenade.  So just sync it up to that.
    Yes, but that doesn't really provide any information about how the activity requirement is implemented.
  • edited March 2013
    Here's a question! How do INT based Monks hunt PvE? Doesn't it rely on strength? So would their bashing be awful or would it be the same if they put all their traits/specs into Intelligence?

Edit: Typos
  • XerXer Langley
    edited March 2013
    They bash people. Int Monks are generally meant more for raids, as it improves the damage of Kai Chokes, Mind Crush, etc. etc.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • So they would racial change after hitting level 80 or so, then? *Scratch* I dunno, I saw a grook monk, and was confused. Aha. ;P
  • Monk bashing is purely based on Tekura.  SDK, UCP, UCP.  That is your bashing combo, and no matter how smart you are, only your strength is going to influence it.  Int monks are at a disadvantage in that, and like Xer said, they're primarily for raids.
  • Koyuki said:
    Here's a question! How do INT based Monks hunt PvE? Doesn't it rely on strength? So would their bashing be awful or would it be the same if they put all their traits/specs into Intelligence?

Intelligence won't help with your offence while bashing, but having more mana/willpower can help a bit defensively. Intelligence is mostly just good for PvP, though.
  • edited March 2013
    Sena said:
    Koyuki said:

Intelligence won't help with your offence while bashing, but having more mana/willpower can help a bit defensively. Intelligence is mostly just good for PvP, though.
    Right, but wouldn't the lack of offense since you took the INT trait cause a significant change in how fast you kill?
    PvE wise, keep in mind.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Transmute was godly for bashing strong denizens when I was INT monk. D:
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Not that much, really.  Bashing as a Monk is mostly about not-dying.  You get three hits every combo, and that amounts to three crits at higher levels which is ridiculous.  Even as an int monk, you'll still be doing enough damage to kill a LOT of stuff.  The big thing with Monks is this: Your.  Armor.  Sucks.  So you're going to be taking a lot of damage while you bash, which in turn requires you to transmute and such a lot.
  • Koyuki said:
    Right, but wouldn't the lack of offense since you took the INT trait cause a significant change in how fast you kill?
    PvE wise, keep in mind.
    Low strength isn't crippling. A monk with 16 strength might do 50% more damage (probably less than that) than a monk with 10 strength. It is a big difference, but you'll still be doing better than most classes.
  • Do ship weapons decay? I just got a ship out of drydock, and its arm has mysteriously disappeared.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Yes, unless you get them made non-decay.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • From HELP LEARNING:

VIII. Learning From Adventurers
    -------------------------------
    The final method is learning from another adventurer. The adventurer you are learning from must have the same skill that you want to learn, and he must have
    the skill at a higher level than you.

Your tutor also benefits slightly from teaching you. This benefit to the teacher will only occur if you learn no less than 15 lessons each time.

What's the ratio of lessons taught to lessons earned?
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I want to say 1%.  Also it is capped at 10 lessons per serenade.
  • Achilles said:
    I want to say 1%.  Also it is capped at 10 lessons per serenade.
    Aha! I hit the cap then. That would explain it, thanks.
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I love teaching people but hate that lesson bonus. Doesn't seem fair to have to palm people off to others so they can benefit from the extra lessons because I don't need them :(
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."