Quick Questions

Comments

• Actually, after learning the IRL equivalent of Kamahameha and Hadoken, IG monks actually seem a little lackluster.

Disclaimer: Both techniques were described as such, but bare little to no relation to the aforementioned abilities.
  • Genuinely confused here. After learning a real-life martial art... what were you expecting from a fantasy one?  I don't get it.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • IDK if Xith would make the same point, but IRL martial arts are *awesome* in a way that IG martial arts can't hope to capture. It's no fault of the game's - I imagine every game has the same problem. That is to say, if you've done something in real life, doing the same thing in a game is inherently less fun. Even if it has magic tacked onto it.

Plus, 'mastering' kata (which is it's own can of worms) *would* give you some benefit IRL, so there's something of a disconnect there.

Side note: Would actually like for kata to give some small bonus, but require you to practice regularly. If you didn't, the bonus reduces, eventually vanishing, and using associated abilities suffer as a result. Enough non-practice, and you might forget the kata entirely.

I'm rambling. Nevermind.
  • Okay, now I'm with you. I guess my only comment would be that you shouldn't really be surprised by that.
  • Who was I side kicking at?
  • edited March 2013
    Q: Which god, if any, would be most likely associated with stirring orations? Preferably a 'good' or 'neutral' god?

ETA: This includes the recently fallen.
  • Scarlatti?
  • Thanks, @Nellaundra. Not... really sure why that didn't occur to me.
  • A few questions.

1. What is the value of mounts and riding? I see a few extra combat abilities but are they often used or crucial to combat success? Do flying mounts allow one to reach areas they otherwise couldn't?

2. Do I need to join a city to learn combat?

3. Do permissions work such that they exclude anyone not included? For instance, if I create a permission that allows myself, does that automatically exclude all things not myself?

Thanks gang!
  • Flying mounts allow you to fly in any outside room, but doesn't really allow you to reach anywhere you couldn't otherwise (as far as I know). Flying can be safer, though, since you avoid most aggressive denizens (certain city guards being an exception) and other hinderances in the room below.

Combat advantages depend on your class. For those that can use a mount without sacrificing important class abilities it provides added avoidance (helps you to dodge attacks). It's also the only access to Blocking for many people, and that's an important ability in group combat. Trample can also be useful in group fights, and in one on one combat for certain classes.

Mountjump is useful for bypassing things that slow down or prevent movement, such as rubble (delays movement between rooms) or icewalls (prevents regular movement entirely).
  • Things I learned today: You can mount-jump rubble!
  • Kendus said:
    1. What is the value of mounts and riding? I see a few extra combat abilities but are they often used or crucial to combat success? Do flying mounts allow one to reach areas they otherwise couldn't?
    Being mounted gives a large bonus to dodging. It makes a big difference against certain classes, notably monk. Trample is also a very useful ability, letting you potentially cripple all four limbs of a large number of people at once. Blocking and mountjump are also useful. Flying lets you travel more safely (most of the time), avoiding aggressive denizens and some other dangers. It also lets you travel through the wilderness far more quickly, by avoiding the movement delays in difficult terrain.

Many of the abilities (gallop, block, mountjump, flying) can be gained without riding though.
    Kendus said:
    2. Do I need to join a city to learn combat?
    You don't, but it will help a lot to have more friends and allies willing to help you. Being a member of a city will also give you more reasons/chances to participate in combat.
    Kendus said:
    3. Do permissions work such that they exclude anyone not included? For instance, if I create a permission that allows myself, does that automatically exclude all things not myself?
    If there are no permissions set, anyone is allowed. If there are any permissions set, only those covered by the permissions are allowed. So yes, if the only permission set is for yourself, then anyone but you is excluded.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Is @Ruth ever Ruthless?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited March 2013
    I'm a fluffy rajamala. I do hiss and bite though, when I'm angered. <3 Edit: Almost forgot to say. Saaaailing!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Chryenth said:
    Who was I side kicking at?

(Also, it was supposed to be scripted as you trying to hit me with a side kick, but I fell asleep after I wrote that post)

• Synbios said:
    (Also, it was supposed to be scripted 
    Are you saying MMA fights are scripted?
  • Chryenth said:
    Synbios said:
    (Also, it was supposed to be scripted 
    Are you saying MMA fights are scripted?

When you have triggers implemented, yes. Unless you're manualing your way through an MMA duel.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    @synbios - you seem to have MMA and Professional Wrestling confused
  • Achilles said:
    @synbios - you seem to have MMA and Professional Wrestling confused

Yeah, I sometimes can't tell the difference between an armbar and a tombstone piledriver, except for some reason it makes the crowds go wild.

• I lost my last kumite match because my reflexes were turned off. :/

Manualing IRL combat is hard.
  • Chryenth said:
    I lost my last kumite match because my reflexes were turned off. :/

Manualing IRL combat is hard.

Just illusion a superman punch. Watch them disconnect as their system crashes trying to apply upperblock to head.

• Pssh. IRL Illusions are for people who don't have IRL Hadoken.

Side note, I used that in a kumite match and got disqualified. If the wall hadn't been in the way it would have been fine. :(
  • Chryenth said:
    Pssh. IRL Illusions are for people who don't have IRL Hadoken.

Side note, I used that in a kumite match and got disqualified. If the wall hadn't been in the way it would have been fine. :(

Always bring a firelash ring. Or a dragon buddy.

• Have 1000-ish credits, what do?

I have: eagle wings, buckawns amulet, level 2 sip ring, level 2 bracelet, level 2 girdle, level 1 gauntlets, level 1 regeneration ring, level 2 bow, SoA, 4 artie pipes and collar.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    upgrade to lupine, ring of flying
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Achilles nailed it.

Honorable mention: Diadem.