Quick Questions

Comments

• Do people see when you begin ignoring them like they did for snub? 
  • No, but there's still IGNORE LIST.
  • p pattern386381
    This delicate paper pattern has measurements and specifications necessary to manufacture an article
    of clothing.
    Item type: shirt  Components: cloth 2
    Appearance:
    a plain grey shirt
    Dropped:
    A plain grey shirt has been left here.
    Examined:
    This is a plain grey shirt.
    It has 63 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs 1 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of The Delosian Crafting Council (a denizen).

sew pattern386381
    Pattern386381 is not a valid design.

I have the components required, but I can't sew this shirt. Am I missing something? Bugged? Derping hard enough to crash a lesser game?
  • You can't sew or craft from a pattern. You have to have the design number.
  • edited February 2013
    Edit: Nevermind, problem solved IG. :)
  • Is it possible to clot yourself to death while corrupted by an alchemist? If so, is there a special deathsight message for this occurrence?
  • I don't remember the deathsight, but it's definitely possible. Many people actually did that when alchemists were still new and their systems not perfectly attuned to them.

It may be just a common "misadventure" deathsight.
  • Aina said:
    Is it possible to clot yourself to death while corrupted by an alchemist? If so, is there a special deathsight message for this occurrence?
    If anyone wants to test this, I can help. I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work in the arena, so it probably wouldn't require an actual death.
  • I just got a message from Achaea regarding my mount saying:
    " A stubborn mule has escaped your clutches!"

But earlier I got a message also saying that my mule was also killed by some -douchebag- person in the city, so... what exactly happened? I'm quite confused.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

Alcinae said:
    I just got a message from Achaea regarding my mount saying:
    " A stubborn mule has escaped your clutches!"

But earlier I got a message also saying that my mule was also killed by some -douchebag- person in the city, so... what exactly happened? I'm quite confused.
    It obviously escaped your clutches in death.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• What are the limitations on veildeliver? Can it deliver items across planes? Between different continents/islands/ships? Into/out of arenas?
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    No has to ne same plane. Also cant send things to veiled people if you arent veiled.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Eld said:

Tirac said:
    Eld said:
    I think that which it does first is determined by which direction you're turning from. I want to say it's the farthest direction from the one you turned from first, so if you turn from N to NNW you'll go NW and then alternate, and if you turn from NW to NNW you'll go N and then alternate; not sure about that part, though.
    Thanks, but I just tested this last part and didn't find it to be true. I moved N, then turned NNW. Then separately moved W, then turned NNW. And I started going NW both times. Let me know if I'm missing something.
    Like I said, wasn't sure about that part. Hopefully someone else will chime in, I'm pretty sure I've seen forum posts on the topic that sounded like the person knew what they were talking about.

Edit:
    Here's the thread I was remembering (incorrectly, as it happens). http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/comment/23524/#Comment_23524
    @Jonathin's reply has an explanation, but I can't say I entirely understand what he's describing.
    Basically, it remembers, at least, it always has for me and that's how I navigate chops with so much ease. Let's say your course is set NNW. You alternate between NW and NNW when you move. If you move NW and then change course to N before you move again, you'll be moving north. When you switch back to NNW, it'll move north again before moving NW. If you move NW (while your course is set NNW) and change to north before you move, you'll move north. When you change your course back to NNW, you'll move N first because your last (Ordinal, Cardinal? I don't know what the NNW directions are called on a compass) move was NW.

It works the same way when going to different directions as well (NNW to ESE or something).

Granted, it may work some other way for someone else and I could just be a bug. I also hope that makes sense.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.

• Jonathin said:
    Eld said:

Tirac said:
    Eld said:
    I think that which it does first is determined by which direction you're turning from. I want to say it's the farthest direction from the one you turned from first, so if you turn from N to NNW you'll go NW and then alternate, and if you turn from NW to NNW you'll go N and then alternate; not sure about that part, though.
    Thanks, but I just tested this last part and didn't find it to be true. I moved N, then turned NNW. Then separately moved W, then turned NNW. And I started going NW both times. Let me know if I'm missing something.
    Like I said, wasn't sure about that part. Hopefully someone else will chime in, I'm pretty sure I've seen forum posts on the topic that sounded like the person knew what they were talking about.

Edit:
    Here's the thread I was remembering (incorrectly, as it happens). http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/comment/23524/#Comment_23524
    @Jonathin's reply has an explanation, but I can't say I entirely understand what he's describing.
    Basically, it remembers, at least, it always has for me and that's how I navigate chops with so much ease. Let's say your course is set NNW. You alternate between NW and NNW when you move. If you move NW and then change course to N before you move again, you'll be moving north. When you switch back to NNW, it'll move north again before moving NW. If you move NW (while your course is set NNW) and change to north before you move, you'll move north. When you change your course back to NNW, you'll move N first because your last (Ordinal, Cardinal? I don't know what the NNW directions are called on a compass) move was NW.

It works the same way when going to different directions as well (NNW to ESE or something).

Granted, it may work some other way for someone else and I could just be a bug. I also hope that makes sense.
    Hm, sounds like you're saying that it's alternating and accounts for previous movement in other directions in the alternation, so that if you turn NNW, you'll go N first if you've moved NW more recently than you've moved N, or NW first if you've moved N more recently. If that's the case, shouldn't it be true that if you head NW for a bit and then turn NNW, your first move after the turn will be N, and if you head N for a bit then turn NNW, your first move after the turn will be NW?
    Hm, I guess in @Tirac's case, if he turned from W to NNW fast enough that he didn't move NW in between, it wouldn't have counted and may have remembered a previous N move instead?
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    No, the count only changes when you're in a non-cardinal, non-ordinal direction. The cardinal/ordinal directions don't affect it. My disclaimer is that it may work differently, or people may see it working differently than I do, but I do spend a lot of time using those tertiary compass directions.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Quick question: are any houses using Shadow or Silhouette as novice titles right now?

(I've tried to find out IG, but it seems like, as you might expect, no individual seems to know all the current novice titles and it's a pretty inconsequential thing).
  • @Mosr @Eld

It's interesting that you mention this and I will check again, but I've found the same scheme that Mosr described but with the opposite directions.

I'll refer to NNW, NNE, ENE, ESE, SSE, SSW, WSW, WNW as "divisional" movements, N, E, S, W as "cardinal", and NE, SE, SW, NW as "ordinal".

As far as I can tell, it has a memory of your last movement while your ship was pointed in a divisional direction. It recalls whether or not this movement was in a cardinal or an ordinal direction. The other factor appears to be whether or not the last movement of any type that your ship made was cardinal/ordinal or divisional.

In the following cases, imagine your ship is pointed in a divisional direction and you want to know whether the next movement will be cardinal or ordinal.

Case 1: your last divisional movement was cardinal, and your last movement of any type was cardinal/ordinal. Your ship will move in the cardinal direction. (You were pointed NNW and moved N, you then pointed E and moved E, you then pointed NNW and will move N.)

Case 2: your last divisional movement was cardinal, and your last movement of any type was divisional. Your ship will move in the ordinal direction. (You were pointed NNW and moved N, you then stayed NNW and will move NW.)

Case 3: your last divisional movement was ordinal, and your last movement of any type was cardinal/ordinal. Your ship will move in the ordinal direction. (You were pointed NNW and moved NW, you then pointed E and moved E, you then pointed NNW and will move NW.)

Case 4: your last divisional movement was ordinal, and your last movement of any type was divisional. Your ship will move in the cardinal direction. (You were pointed NNW and moved NW, you stayed pointed NNW and will move N.)

Hope that makes sense. In the testing of my ship mapper so far, these rules seem to have held up alright.
  • @Jonathin @Tirac
    Neither of those schemes seems to work reliably for me.
  • Interestingly, it seems that if you turn to one of the intermediate directions and row a square, stop, row a square, stop, and so on without turning at all, you'll just keep moving in the same direction.
  • @Tael no, no one uses those at the moment

• Yeah didn't see a thread or news, but was there any change to Dragon stuff with this event?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • The ritual. That's it.
  • How do I forums?  My brain hurts.
    *Animated Signature*

• @Zii - My advice? Don't.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Does burrowing around count for explorer rankings?
  • CardanCardan The Garden
    From HELP EXPLORERS:
    Achaea said:

What doesn't count
    ------------------
    Certain kinds of exploration will not affect your rank:
    - Exploring while a soul
    - Exploring burrowing/buried
    - Exploring using the evade ability
    - Exploring while following someone else
    - Exploring in the wilderness (HELP WILDERNESS)
    - Exploring in any newbie area
    - Exploring in a subdivision
    - Exploring in any private home
    - Exploring on a ship
    - Exploring while deepsea diving
    - Exploring in the Soul Plane, Limbo, or the Plane of Creation
    - Exploring in the stockroom of a denizen's shop (which you should not be able to do anyway)

So, nope!
  • Iocun said:
    Zii said:
    How do I forums?  My brain hurts.
    First, find out who is ranked highly in the forum hierarchy. You can see this by their phase level. Then, start stalking these people and click "like" on their posts before anyone else does. Doing it after others have already liked it makes you look like you're just jumping on a bandwagon, so make sure you're the first one. Also memorize what they're saying and the way they're saying it, so you can later emulate them. Next, do the same with often-disliked people and further dislike any new things they post. This is your foundation.

The next step is adding some content on your own. You can go either the "insightful" route, or the "funny" route, or both. The first requires more work and thought, the second requires a basic talent. If you attempt to go for the funny route and it doesn't work, stop immediately. Once people have marked you down as unfunny, there's no way you can still get out of that, so continued attempts at being funny will only make you the target of ridicule. Instead, drop the funny route and move on to being insightful.

Being insightful is based on 1) posting on the Golden Dais and 2) making brief clever statements in reply to what other people say. Success at 1) can be achieved by lurking in non-Dais threads and trying to filter out things that people want but haven't bothered making a Dais-thread about yet. Make yourself a list of these things and post them as ideas on the Dais. Not all at once though. You need to spread them out. One ideas thread every two weeks or so should be enough. Success at 2) is harder to guarantee, but generally works by first establishing what posts of others have been liked, then summarizing what they said in a brief and poignant fashion, or pointing out the flaws in what people who have received dislikes have said.

With these techniques, you can build yourself a basic reputation, but not enough to quite win the forums yet. Once you have these things down and got yourself a reputation to work with (but not before!), you can move on to the third stage: deliberately going against the flow and setting yourself apart from others. Just liking and disliking the same things as anyone else is a good novice technique, but doesn't get you all the way up to the forums Pantheon. To get there, you now need to start making others think of you as having your own mind, while still secretly going with the common flow. Start making brief dissenting statements about common opinion and question the status quo. Do it carefully. Never go into too much detail, as that offers more opportunities to attack your argument. Instead, keep your tone slightly tongue-in-cheek, so you can always pretend to just have been trolling if someone points out the flaws in your argument.

If you did the first two stages of forum-likedness right, you will by now have some people who usually agree with you. They will also agree with your dissenting views from time to time, which is where your road to forum victory truly begins, because it gives you an aura of rebelliousness and leadership. Keep up a careful game of mild dissenting and imaginative agreeing and occasionally do something unexpected-yet-still-socially-acceptable to keep you memorable and it's only a matter of time until you can phase or doublephase.

I disagree.

Am I cool and hip and rebellious enough now?

• Iocun said:
    Zii said:
    How do I forums?  My brain hurts.
    First, find out who is ranked highly in the forum hierarchy. You can see this by their phase level. Then, start stalking these people and click "like" on their posts before anyone else does. Doing it after others have already liked it makes you look like you're just jumping on a bandwagon, so make sure you're the first one. Also memorize what they're saying and the way they're saying it, so you can later emulate them. Next, do the same with often-disliked people and further dislike any new things they post. This is your foundation.

The next step is adding some content on your own. You can go either the "insightful" route, or the "funny" route, or both. The first requires more work and thought, the second requires a basic talent. If you attempt to go for the funny route and it doesn't work, stop immediately. Once people have marked you down as unfunny, there's no way you can still get out of that, so continued attempts at being funny will only make you the target of ridicule. Instead, drop the funny route and move on to being insightful.

Being insightful is based on 1) posting on the Golden Dais and 2) making brief clever statements in reply to what other people say. Success at 1) can be achieved by lurking in non-Dais threads and trying to filter out things that people want but haven't bothered making a Dais-thread about yet. Make yourself a list of these things and post them as ideas on the Dais. Not all at once though. You need to spread them out. One ideas thread every two weeks or so should be enough. Success at 2) is harder to guarantee, but generally works by first establishing what posts of others have been liked, then summarizing what they said in a brief and poignant fashion, or pointing out the flaws in what people who have received dislikes have said.

With these techniques, you can build yourself a basic reputation, but not enough to quite win the forums yet. Once you have these things down and got yourself a reputation to work with (but not before!), you can move on to the third stage: deliberately going against the flow and setting yourself apart from others. Just liking and disliking the same things as anyone else is a good novice technique, but doesn't get you all the way up to the forums Pantheon. To get there, you now need to start making others think of you as having your own mind, while still secretly going with the common flow. Start making brief dissenting statements about common opinion and question the status quo. Do it carefully. Never go into too much detail, as that offers more opportunities to attack your argument. Instead, keep your tone slightly tongue-in-cheek, so you can always pretend to just have been trolling if someone points out the flaws in your argument.

If you did the first two stages of forum-likedness right, you will by now have some people who usually agree with you. They will also agree with your dissenting views from time to time, which is where your road to forum victory truly begins, because it gives you an aura of rebelliousness and leadership. Keep up a careful game of mild dissenting and imaginative agreeing and occasionally do something unexpected-yet-still-socially-acceptable to keep you memorable and it's only a matter of time until you can phase or doublephase.
    Again, it's sad that I can't both like and lol at this post.  Instead, I will just make sweet sweet text love to it over and over.