Quick Questions

Comments

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Right. Knights deal limb damage according to their weapon damage, so we get to factor in both the target's health and our own weapons' damage. Monks and Blademasters just have to deal with target health, though actually keeping count with their "kicks do more than punches," and "legslash dealing more to the first than the second leg" issues is harder than keeping count with double slashes.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Tesha said:
    And also, does anyone have any mathy stuff on augmenting like success rates? Shunsui mentioned having two really good full plates augmented in an alternating pattern until one blew up, so I was wondering about doing that with the extra 231 speeds I have but I was not sure if it would be worth it or not (I still do not know who helped me with weapons D: thank you <3 I would ask you what you thought if I knew who you were but I have no idea =x)

The alternating patern on full plates is probably the one that takes most advantage of augment, I do have a more recent equation that the one in the thread @Sidonia referred to, albeit is on a old computer with a few issues.
  • Aerek said:
    Right. Knights deal limb damage according to their weapon damage, so we get to factor in both the target's health and our own weapons' damage. Monks and Blademasters just have to deal with target health, though actually keeping count with their "kicks do more than punches," and "legslash dealing more to the first than the second leg" issues is harder than keeping count with double slashes.
    Monks also have to account for different stances affecting damage output as well.

• Yeah, I'd say knights have it easiest when it comes to limb counting (well, other than dragons! I guess sylvans have it easy too). They just have to re-establish their numbers when they get new weapons.
  • @Iocun Don't forget the magi.

• Honestly, Monk was the easiest for me when it came to limb counting because in all practicality, you have two stances that you actually use.  And normally only one.  You don't have to worry about your weapons or anything like that.  But, to each their own I guess.
  • edited January 2013
    You don't really have to worry about your weapons as a knight either if you have the same set in a bag of stasis and are using it for a very long time (or even have artie weapons).

As for stances: you'll also want numbers for unstanced, in case you need to go for jumpkicks.
  • In my opinion, of the classes that prep limbs without 4 attacks to break, knight is the easiest. Way fewer modifiers to knight damage than monk and bm. Bm have it the hardest, because of unequal limb damage. Monk is easy enough if you're trans weaponry or your opponents not mounted, but its slow.

I have and need limb counters on my monk and bm. I haven't bothered with one for my knight, other than to track damage.
  • What does Reave look like?
  • What does Reave look like?
    Don't know about first or third person perspective, but here's what you see when somebody reaves you:

Start:
    A sudden nausea and lightheadedness takes hold of your body, and you struggle to hold on to consciousness under <Alchemist>'s assault.

Death:

Blinding pain seizes your body as <Alchemist>'s assault causes your organs to simultaneously fail. A sickening gurgle sounds from your abdomen as blood, phlegm, and bile begin to ooze from your pores and orifices in a repulsive goo. Before long, everything goes dark and you sink to the ground, dead.

• edited January 2013
    That's impressively gross, thanks! I didn't know it was a timed finisher... So, it's a timed finisher that requires all four humours to be tempered?
  • Only requires two I believe, having four tempered just makes it faster.

• When it comes to learning combat, are classes that focus on breaking limbs easier than affliction-based classes?
  • @Wilhelmina That depends on who you ask.  To me, limb breaks are several times easier.  To others, it's the opposite.  You'll have to learn the afflictions one day regardless, so having an affliction based class helps a great deal in that.  But, ultimately, choose what you want.  Monk and Blademaster have some of the easiest in the game with the lowest lesson requirements to be able to kill.
  • BM is considered among the easiest? I feel dumb now.
  • Everyone will have their own opinion, but it's difficult to get a truly correct answer unless you have someone like Mizik or Jarrel et al explain it to you in detail :) In my own personal opinion, the easiest to get into is Monk especially with the low lesson requirement to actually begin fighting. Then as you transcend Kaido and then Telepathy and eventually Weaponry, you can add more things into your offence. What class you choose shouldn't hamper how much you learn as you fight, though! You should pick a class that you like moreso than one that others tell you is good or easy in combat, and then you can learn that class from there.

As long as you don't pick Druid. :) 
    "Easy" can be a misnomer. When experienced combatants say a class is "easy" to fight as, they generally mean that it is difficult for a skilled opponent to avoid dying to an equally skilled member of that class, not that the class is "easy" to learn to fight as.

I agree that Blademaster is one of the scarier classes out there at the moment, but to be scary, you still have to have implicit understanding of Blademaster's wonky limb damage, knowledge of limb breaks and how they work, know how to mitigate damage since you don't have a lot of resistances, have aliases for pairing the strikes you'll need with the slashes you'll need for different situations, and a deep understanding of combat, in general, to know how to respond and react to the situations you'll face.

Some of that stuff is pretty hard, but if you get there, you can have an "easier" time killing folks that might give other classes trouble.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah, I wouldn't really call any class "easy" per se. They all have their initial hurdles. The only ways you can have it "easy" in combat without much knowledge or experience is by severely outmatching your opponent in skills/arties/level and going for the pure damage route (mostly viable for magi, runewardens, paladins, forestals, blademasters, occultists). In a similar vein, dragon is perhaps the easiest class to do combat as and win many fights at mid-tier level, but again requires a huge investment of hours spent bashing.
  • That reminds me, I need to polish up those last couple bugs in my limbcounter and post the new version. Old forums ate it, keep forgetting to replace it.

Generally speaking, on class difficulty, while there's some variance between classes (nobody's going to deny Serpents are hard to get your head around, or claim that BMs have intricate, finicky setups), the difficulty comes much more from understanding how it goes together. I myself experienced a number of 'click' moments, where things just suddenly made sense and it got a lot simpler. I've noticed this in some others, so I can't imagine it's an uncommon thing. Plus, those early struggles can make for amusing stories, looking back. "Did I really once think prepping with Compass was much faster than with Legslash? Was I high?"
  • How many credits would someone have to buy in order to tri-trans, if they bashed to lvl 60?
    Thanks!
  • edited January 2013
    I thought it was 700 credits, but I could be wrong.
  • Including the conversion from unbound to bound credits, the lessons per level, and the bound credits for level tiers, but not including the amount of lessons you start with (don't remember what this is off the top of my head) you would need to purchase ~515 unbound credits.

• What's the best way to spar people and learn combat without a city or house, other than SPARWHO?
  • Learn without city and without house.. forums is the correct answer.
  • HhaosHhaos Cortland, Ohio
    Tesha said:
    And also, does anyone have any mathy stuff on augmenting like success rates? Shunsui mentioned having two really good full plates augmented in an alternating pattern until one blew up, so I was wondering about doing that with the extra 231 speeds I have but I was not sure if it would be worth it or not (I still do not know who helped me with weapons D: thank you <3 I would ask you what you thought if I knew who you were but I have no idea =x)

And now for a completely unrelated question (editted so I do not have to make a third post in a row) is dawn at any specific time of the hour (like gmt x:30) or what would be the best way to predict that? It would be really cool to be able to line sermons up with dawn, but I am admittedly really terrible at stuff like that and would need a script if it is not something like x:30. If anyone happens to know, I would really appreciate it. :) Thank you all <3
    Aliath does a ton of enchanting and used to keep the numbers on hand, if I remember correctly the 1st almost always works but the others all have an increased chance of destroying the item in question. I also know that my fullplate have 7 on it *shrugs*
  • Aina said:

What's the best way to spar people and learn combat without a city or house, other than SPARWHO?

El learned a lot from her Mhaldorian, Hashani and Ashtani opponents, albeit with no small contribution from a housemate (@Garao). Just don't be afraid to ask questions, especially 'What did I do wrong?'

Elowin said:
    El learned a lot from her Mhaldorian, Hashani and Ashtani opponents, albeit with no small contribution from a housemate (@Garao). Just don't be afraid to ask questions, especially 'What did I do wrong?'
    Just to split hairs, I think that's an important question, but it's a scary piece of advice, just because there's so much bad information and bad advice about combat out there. I would amend it to be find a teacher you trust and ask, "What did I do wrong?"
  • Finding a teacher of sorts sounds like just what I need, though that'll be tough with the Refugees (in combination with the forums). Guess I'll have to peddle for advice by the roadside in Cyrene or Eleusis.
  • edited January 2013
    Just out of curiosity @Aina, why would that be tough to find in the Refugees? :( I thought there were a few good combatants here!