Quick Questions

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Cuz the app, when it's working properly, sends notifications :)
  • Rackham said:
    Cuz the app, when it's working properly, sends notifications :)
    App notifications. WutFace

• I tried the app for that reason, but it never sent me notifications. :(
  • The Android app hasn't been sending notifications for a while. They were also (sometimes very) delayed even when it was, so it wasn't that great. I've been using the website instead of the app for a while now, and haven't really had any problems. I don't care about responding to messages immediately when I'm not logged in, though (and, to be honest, rarely care about responding immediately - or at all - even when I am logged in).
  • Any chance of an update on how well the new IDEAS system is working out? Interested to see how many things have actually been implemented so far.

• I'm looking to put together novice packs for my house, and have a question. If I was to place items into a container, then into a nondecay room, would those items decay?
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Yep       
  • What is the quickest way to advance as a blacksmith? Is it just picking your favorite descriptors and forging them onto fullplate, smelting, and repeating?
  • Lances, whatever descriptor or colour and forge lances.
  • Accipiter said:
    Lances, whatever descriptor or colour and forge lances.
    If I have both skills, are they two separate set of blacksmith points?
  • No it's all blacksmithing
  • Accipiter said:
    Lances, whatever descriptor or colour and forge lances.
    Thanks!
  • Is it pretty commonplace in Achaea to not give cityfavours for defense of territories? Or for that matter, not to give them commonly at all?

The only reason I ask is that Mhaldor(ians) seem to raid Eleusis on a constant basis, and nobody who defends ever receives any sort of recognition beyond a pat on the back. 
  • Defense is usually more of an expected activity. City favours give you credits, so if they were used too frequently, cities would also go broke. It's usually for something that stands out more, rather than things most of the city does.

Though, cityfavour use seems low in general, in Targossas too, at least.
  • Pretty low in Ashtan as well since the change to them. They were used a lot more when they just granted city rank. 

• Targossas, at least, now uses a different system to reward City Defense (marks). But I think it's something unique to the city; I'm not sure if others have a similar setup.
     <3 
  • edited September 2018
    That makes sense, thank you all for the polite responses.

It's something that I've been really hesitant to bring up icly, because I'm still learning my way around. There's been a handful of people who have been super helpful (Rollanz, Colgano, Naoma, many others), and they work their rears off to both keep me alive as long as possible and attempt to repel raiders. I don't want to come across as ungrateful, nor that I'm defending just for a reward.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Dunn said:
    Pretty low in Ashtan as well since the change to them. They were used a lot more when they just granted city rank. 
    Something I'm trying to change, too. As there's no automatic promotion any more, there's no reason not to call out people who go above and beyond.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • There's some people who just get really uppity about favours. I try to make sure Insidium gives out a ton of house favours at least, but people are really stingy about city favours sometimes. I dunno why, who gives if someone's -too- encouraged lol.
  • edited September 2018
    Mathilda said:
    Targossas, at least, now uses a different system to reward City Defense (marks). But I think it's something unique to the city; I'm not sure if others have a similar setup.
    It’s entirely unique, though I think the Vanguard May have dkething similar now

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Samedi said:
    Is it pretty commonplace in Achaea to not give cityfavours for defense of territories? Or for that matter, not to give them commonly at all?

The only reason I ask is that Mhaldor(ians) seem to raid Eleusis on a constant basis, and nobody who defends ever receives any sort of recognition beyond a pat on the back. 
    Eleusis in particular does try to give out favours regularly (although it's always possible for people to go unnoticed, that's why we ask for recommendations). When it comes to defense, that is more of an expected thing, but when someone shows pronounced dedication by repeatedly defending as a young person/novice, or leading defense... That will sometimes earn a favour. (Once again though, it has to be noticed by someone, so be sure to let someone know if you see something deserving of a favour.)

Also, don't be afraid to talk to people in game! Not everyone is super talkative, but plenty are, and we do our best to help and answer questions. There is plenty more information about cityfavour in scrolls and things, if you are still curious.
  • Giving out favours, especially city ones, is delicate.

Favoritism is rampant in Achaea, and was nearly impossible to stop in my time as Tyrannus in Mhaldor. When you call it out, those people get extremely bitchy.

It is very easy to miss what some people are doing for a city/house, and to over recognize others that aren't doing as much.

I prefer the "do x, get y" that doesn't leave much wiggle room. 

• I'd rather some people get too many rewards (it's a tiny ass reward, let's be honest) than no one get any rewards except for specific contests/etc.

People end up 'favorites' with a lot of people largely because they actually do things and are competent. When it's favoritism because of ooc friendship or dating, it's really easy to spot and everyone will notice it.

Realistically, the best policy is to go through your member list every once in a while and look at people who have been active for a while. Then, think if they've been doing a lot of stuff (whether combat, rp, administrative, w/e) and ask yourself if it deserves a favor. Then give it to them if so. I've favored several people I mildly to severely dislike through that system.
  • Unfortunately, giving out "too many rewards" is a legitimate problem now especially with org credit supply being much more limited due to promotions.
     <3 
  • I agree worrying about favoritism or draining credits are both concerns that are outweighed by the more pressing concern that nobody gets noticed or rewarded at all. Creditsales are nice, but I prefer using those credits to up rewards for contests or favour more. The actual problem is that you can only see so much as one person. As a european, I won't notice the late night Americans who help novices consistently and patiently, for example. A culture where people, leadership and citizens, actively look out for each other and put them forward for Cityfavours is probably the best way to encourage a good spread of favours, along with a minimum term between favours so it doesn't get too silly.

I do know Mhaldor is more keen to favour young, new characters who often defend (or attack) on a consistent basis and show eagerness to learn and improve. But some organisations often have a stigma on favouring for combat, as there is often the prevalent 'concern' that only combat is rewarded. Often spread by those who don't do anything remotely favour-worthy at all (unless you add a dis in front of it).
  • Ask not what your city can do for you.... but what can you do for your city..... set favors to take 5 credits, and I bet no one would want them!

I do agree that the recognition is all most want though...
  • Is this horrible lag game-wide, or is it just me?
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Currently, whenever I look at a help file, I'm getting the entire thing displayed with no breaks regardless of my pagelength. Does anyone know what setting might be causing this?

I've had it suggested that Keneanung's bashing script is the culprit, from someone else who's experienced a similar problem, but it appears to now be a configuration setting, as it's happening despite clients.