Quick Questions

Comments

• I have some old in-game aliases like this:

iray conjure &t illusion Seven rays of different coloured light spring out from Cypra's outstretched hands, irradiating the location with blinding strobes.\nYou are hit by a blue ray.
    ibow conjure &t illusion An arrow flies in towards you.\nIt strikes you, gouging a deep and bloody wound. You feel light headed and dizzy.
    But I can't figure out how to modify the &t variable. Is this possible or are we limited to $tar?

• Just &tar, which you can set using SETTARGET. Should also be auto-set based on the last thing you attacked, but generally works best when you explicitly set it.
  • Belus said:
    But I can't figure out how to modify the &t variable. Is this possible or are we limited to $tar?
    In the past, you could set arbitrary in-game variables (so "st t <value>" would set &t to <value>), but that functionality was removed so you only have a single targeting variable now.
  • If you are a member of a house, do all of your multiclass classes have to be allowed by the house if none of the multiclasses are factional classes?  For example, could a grand merchant have say runewarden as a multiclass?
  • Arahaelon said:
    If you are a member of a house, do all of your multiclass classes have to be allowed by the house if none of the multiclasses are factional classes?  For example, could a grand merchant have say runewarden as a multiclass?
    Houses don't have class limits anymore, beyond city limits.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Valkyn said:
    Arahaelon said:
    If you are a member of a house, do all of your multiclass classes have to be allowed by the house if none of the multiclasses are factional classes?  For example, could a grand merchant have say runewarden as a multiclass?
    Houses don't have class limits anymore, beyond city limits.
    the rogue houses require the person to be in the city that the class is tied to, to hold that class or to join as that class
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Yes but he said non factional classes. 

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    oh, oops, must've missed that
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Hi, would anyone be able to tell me, for hunting post level 71, would sword and shield runewarden bashing be better than dual cutting? I'm not finding I'm -that- feeble but I wonder if it'll help as I get higher and higher compared to dual cutting. Thanks!
  • It depends. Partly on what aspect of "better" you want/need and partly on how many credits you have to spend. Sword and shield damage is worse than dual cutting at max strength; assuming they scale roughly the same then that should also be true without artefacts. The only advantage sword and shield really has is being able to use a shield of absorption, and you sacrifice a fair amount of DPS for that, so it's not worth it if you're already tanking things fine.
  • Antonius said:
    It depends. Partly on what aspect of "better" you want/need and partly on how many credits you have to spend. Sword and shield damage is worse than dual cutting at max strength; assuming they scale roughly the same then that should also be true without artefacts. The only advantage sword and shield really has is being able to use a shield of absorption, and you sacrifice a fair amount of DPS for that, so it's not worth it if you're already tanking things fine.
    Thanks! I'm currently running man-at-arms with str trait (con trait at 80) but with weathering-algiz and runeplate (16str 12dex 14con, going this way means if I find I want to invest in artifacts the 3con is cheaper than 3 str instead of going vanguard) I find no issues tanking stuff up to heavy moghedu stuff. I'm also assuming that dslashing is currently the go-to for PvP as well? 

Also is there any reason NOT to use scimitars? Is there a point where the loss of balance time is offset by the damage gained by longswords, broads or battleaxes? Sorry for the nub questions I don't know enough yet about the underlying maths to really be able to work it out myself easily.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    it's usually the other way around. The DPS is roughly the same to begin with but the harder hits are nicer when you have fewer crits. As you get more crits, your DPS grows the faster you hit, and scimitars become a lot more efficient post 80.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    it's usually the other way around. The DPS is roughly the same to begin with but the harder hits are nicer when you have fewer crits. As you get more crits, your DPS grows the faster you hit, and scimitars become a lot more efficient post 80.
    That was my assumption at first, since you'd rarely do more additional damage earlier so raw damage was better, but I thought even the speed of scims still puts it ahead at lower levels. 
  • @Sylvaria I'd pick Dual cutting Runewarden over Sword and shield Runewarden for PvP. Harder to disembowel with, on the whole, but the other options make up for it.
  • Does transcendent inkmilling produce more inks per batch on average than non-trans inkmilling? I've learned up to Mastery, but I'm trying to decide whether I should or should not trans it
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sylvaria said:

I'm currently running man-at-arms with str trait (con trait at 80) ...
    You can't take 2 stat affecting traits.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Sylvaria said:
    Mishgul said:
    That was my assumption at first, since you'd rarely do more additional damage earlier so raw damage was better, but I thought even the speed of scims still puts it ahead at lower levels. 
    It feels faster. Speed is preferable usually in all cases just due to the fact that you can escape quicker if you made a mistake.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Dairon said:
    Does transcendent inkmilling produce more inks per batch on average than non-trans inkmilling? I've learned up to Mastery, but I'm trying to decide whether I should or should not trans it
    Just need mastery, the chance doesn't increase.

• If you don't have artefact tattoos, then increased charges is essentially worth more inks, since you're going to be inking tattoos fewer times for a given number of uses. Whether that's worth the lesson cost depends on a lot of things, and obviously that value starts to disappear if you buy artefact tattoos later on.

Personally, I didn't Trans it because I already had artefact tattoos for all the ones I regularly use (cloak, mindseye, shield, etc.) Unfortunately I also made the mistake of taking Inkmilling as one of my first two tradeskills, rather than picking it up as my fifth and saving more lessons on not learning past Mythical.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Sylvaria said:
    Antonius said:
    It depends. Partly on what aspect of "better" you want/need and partly on how many credits you have to spend. Sword and shield damage is worse than dual cutting at max strength; assuming they scale roughly the same then that should also be true without artefacts. The only advantage sword and shield really has is being able to use a shield of absorption, and you sacrifice a fair amount of DPS for that, so it's not worth it if you're already tanking things fine.
    Thanks! I'm currently running man-at-arms with str trait (con trait at 80) but with weathering-algiz and runeplate (16str 12dex 14con, going this way means if I find I want to invest in artifacts the 3con is cheaper than 3 str instead of going vanguard) I find no issues tanking stuff up to heavy moghedu stuff. I'm also assuming that dslashing is currently the go-to for PvP as well? 

Also is there any reason NOT to use scimitars? Is there a point where the loss of balance time is offset by the damage gained by longswords, broads or battleaxes? Sorry for the nub questions I don't know enough yet about the underlying maths to really be able to work it out myself easily.
    Speaking as a DSL Runewarden, I would actually take S&B Runewarden over DSL for hunting. The fact that you can tank Moghedu right now at level 71 and 14 CON is a pretty big deal, and you'll feel that difference without the shield helping. In terms of pure DPS, DSL might be better at the top end (I'm only lightly artefacted, I couldn't say) but that doesn't matter if you can't tank what you're trying to hunt. Dun Fortress is another good example of something that I can hunt with difficulty as DSL, but as S&B I breeze through it. With a broadsword/longsword and tower shield, you can essentially hunt some of the same things that Dragons do.

In PVP, I find DSL and S&B to be pretty similar. They both have pros and cons compared to each other, but I'd say S&B is much easier to grasp as a new combatant and be effective at a base level, and S&B does it while having better defense than DSL. In PVP, you will use broads/axes over scims/longs for specific attacks for specific reasons (Usually faster limb prep or damage spiking) but you'll never use them as your primary weapons, no. In hunting, I did often hunt with broad/tower as S&B, since the defense was excellent and the damage was good, and before I scripted switching weapons before each attack, a scim/axe combo as DSL was an easy way to have the same DPS and also get the most out of your razeslashes.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    So I have a quick question on auto-bashing since I'm being argued with. If someone is in a hunting party and they are following someone, is it illegal for them to create a hunting system that makes them auto-attack off of the group leader's hunting attack even if the follower never leaves the computer? Based on HELP AUTO HUNTING, I think it's illegal to have the capability to walk away even if you never do, but they're arguing it's okay as long as if a Divine or someone in charge tries to contact them and they're able to respond (they're quoting @Sarapis very loosely here).
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Kayeil said:
    So I have a quick question on auto-bashing since I'm being argued with. If someone is in a hunting party and they are following someone, is it illegal for them to create a hunting system that makes them auto-attack off of the group leader's hunting attack even if the follower never leaves the computer? Based on HELP AUTO HUNTING, I think it's illegal to have the capability to walk away even if you never do, but they're arguing it's okay as long as if a Divine or someone in charge tries to contact them and they're able to respond (they're quoting @Sarapis very loosely here).
    Nevermind, ignore my question. They think I'm throwing them under the bus and will get them in trouble for asking for clarification when in fact I am trying to help them fix their error. Oh and they it fixed that they don't have a "system," but that it just uses the dor attack when I attack... but whatever. JUST IGNORE. Don't want my caring about them following the rules and fixing the issue to continue to get treated like I'm purposefully trying to get them shrubbed forever.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Eh, so long as they don't walk away and can respond in a timely fashion if approached, I don't think they have anything to worry about. From what I recall, that was always been where the line is drawn.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited November 2015
    Kayeil said:
    If someone is in a hunting party and they are following someone, is it illegal for them to create a hunting system that makes them auto-attack off of the group leader's hunting attack even if the follower never leaves the computer? Based on HELP AUTO HUNTING, I think it's illegal to have the capability to walk away even if you never do, but they're arguing it's okay as long as if a Divine or someone in charge tries to contact them and they're able to respond.
    In short, they're right.

You won't (according to various admin over the years, including Tecton when the current phrasing of the rules was put in, though notably not according to a strict interpretation of the rules) get in trouble for any amount of automation as long as you're actually at the computer paying attention to the game, and can respond to things (such as an admin checking to see if you're there, though I'd also be careful of ignoring other players as well in case an admin is watching and decides you're AFK based on that) promptly. But if you have full automation (and the hunting script you described would likely fall under that, though there have been times where it's been deemed acceptable if the automation is being triggered by another player, like attacking what the leader attacks or having triggers to do what someone tells you) and you do leave the game, even if it was just this one time and it was only for a minute and it was an emergency, you'll be punished if caught.

So it's technically acceptable, but risky and not advisable. At the very least, it would be a good idea to have some kind of automated cutoff so it can't continue for very long if you're away. And on that note, preventing scripts from being "fully automated" by leaving out a crucial part, for example an autofishing script that doesn't recast for you, won't necessarily protect you from punishment. Even if the script won't go on indefinitely without you, if an admin happens to test you and you don't respond during the time before the manual part of the script comes up (you go several minutes without catching a fish and needing to recast, for example), it won't matter (or at least there have been cases in the past where it didn't matter) whether the script would have stopped later. Being mostly automated instead of fully automated like that makes you a lot safer, but the only way to be completely safe is to never be AFK while you have any kind of automated or semi-automated hunting/fishing/tradeskill/whatever running.

It should also be noted that the admin tests can come in unexpected forms. It won't always just be a tell, it could be something like a sudden leak or fire on your ship while deep-sea fishing, or something else that you need to respond to but isn't an obvious attempt at communication. So you should be ready to respond to anything that might happen in the game, not just have alerts for tells/communication.

Disclaimer: This is all based on past admin statements on the matter, issue rulings, shrubbings, etc., but I don't know the current official position, which could have changed at any time.
    Thanks for the insight. I did tell them it was risky at least. They're mainly upset with me because they think asking for clarification will get them shrubbed, when I don't think it will. If you make an honest mistake and then are told it might be wrong and then make effort to get clarification so you can fix the issue, then I don't see why you'd get in trouble. Intentionally breaking the rules or not fixing it once it's been pointed out to you, I can see why you'd get in trouble for that. I didn't even mention names, but for some reason they think I'm suddenly going to get them perma-shrubbed for asking a question. heh. I'd like to think the admins are far more reasonable than that, and after all I've been through with this individual and the support I've offered them I'm pretty hurt and insulted that they think I'm doing something that will ruin the game for them. Oh well!

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Seems like this individual should be cut loose to fend for themselves.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • once said person cuts loose they will realize that individual experience is much more glorious than leechy.
  • If they think they'll get shrubbed from you asking for clarification, chances are that they are well aware that there not supposed to be doing it and have a guilty conscience regarding it.
  • So this Ledolian surcoat from the promotion. Do the item charges replenish themselves over time? Or is it a thing where once you use a charge, it's gone for good?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Looks like it will go for good, they mention combining them to add the amount of charges together.