Multiclassing

Comments

• @Sarapis (Not quoting cause idk how to do the hide thingy)

For the record, I said this a few posts ago.

"Again, this was not a call out of staff for being lazy, I'm perfectly aware there are plenty of things to be done and decisions to be made before they actually implement this."

I feel like everyone is taking what I'm saying as an insult when it isn't meant to be one at all...
  • "I'm perfectly aware there are plenty of things to be done and decisions to be made before they actually implement this."

and

"I don't understand why anyone thinks that adding multiclassing would require an immense coding effort."

plus

"I feel like everyone is taking what I'm saying as an insult when it isn't mean to be one at all..."

and

"But the code can't be that bad...Can it?"

Kind of contradict what you're saying.

• Cooper said:
    "I'm perfectly aware there are plenty of things to be done and decisions to be made before they actually implement this."

and

"I don't understand why anyone thinks that adding multiclassing would require an immense coding effort."

plus

"I feel like everyone is taking what I'm saying as an insult when it isn't mean to be one at all..."

and

"But the code can't be that bad...Can it?"

Kind of contradict what you're saying.

House redesign/Tradeskill split/New skills have nothing to do with the coding effort I was referring to, so it's not really a contradiction.

And the the second part is so out of context, it was in reply to a joke about the weather system.
  • Hod = Troll.
    Flag me.
    I'm done trying to reason.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • @Hod I didn't take what you said as an insult, per se. More that I thought your comment (see my previous post here) was out of place as you haven't seen the code behind Achaea. We can assume how it's coded, but that's it. I would think it wouldn't be hard to do either, but I'm not going to assume as much.

As it stands, it was complex to do, yes. But most of that was not on the coding, if I'm reading Sarapis right. It was more in the development of what it is and how it will be done.

Now less of the personal attacks and back to discussing Multiclass. :open_mouth: 

Curious as to how stuff like my Necklace of Purity will work in regards to swapping class. And armour. I should multiclass as a Knight, make the best fullplate ever, wear it, swap to Magi, and put up all my Magi defences. And be one of the tankiest people in the game.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Sarapis said:
    I should multiclass as a Knight, make the best fullplate ever, wear it, swap to Magi, and put up all my Magi defences. And be one of the tankiest people in the game.
    That definitely will not work. All class-specific defenses and equipment will be removed on switching to a class that doesn't allow them.  

On that thought What about runes, Since you can currently rune your self and switch to dragon are you guys going to do anything to stop someone from runeing as runewarden (especially with the 6 hour runes) and then switch to Monk for instance?
    And on that note would the 6 hour runes still hold up if you switch over to a different class and if so . would the damage resistance in pvp hold up as well since you -had- runelore when you switched?

Also the questions im asking right now is likely why this is taking so long, get it all coded be like sweet let's let them test it to make sure it works and then you have lil ol' Caladbolg figuring out ways around this stuff so they can say GOD WE HAVE TO REWRITE ALL THIS SHIT OVER NOW. THANKS ASSHOLE.

• Caladbolg said:
    Sarapis said:
    I should multiclass as a Knight, make the best fullplate ever, wear it, swap to Magi, and put up all my Magi defences. And be one of the tankiest people in the game.
    That definitely will not work. All class-specific defenses and equipment will be removed on switching to a class that doesn't allow them.  

On that thought What about runes, Since you can currently rune your self and switch to dragon are you guys going to do anything to stop someone from runeing as runewarden (especially with the 6 hour runes) and then switch to Monk for instance?
    And on that note would the 6 hour runes still hold up if you switch over to a different class and if so . would the damage resistance in pvp hold up as well since you -had- runelore when you switched?

Also the questions im asking right now is likely why this is taking so long, get it all coded be like sweet let's let them test it to make sure it works and then you have lil ol' Caladbolg figuring out ways around this stuff so they can say GOD WE HAVE TO REWRITE ALL THIS SHIT OVER NOW. THANKS ASSHOLE.
    I don't think hunting runes are really going to be a problem, especially since anyone can get them. The 1 vs 6 doesn't really provide any advantage besides convenience, however I can see someone empowering their runeblades and then say switching to infernal, which definitely makes a balance issue. Assuming they can still wield them, but if they can't, having to get a second set of rapiers would suck...
  • Obviously you wouldn't be able to do things like that
  • Jovolo said:
    Obviously you wouldn't be able to do things like that
    Hopefully the runeblades just don't function while infernal, otherwise it will kind of suck to have to rerune them everytime you switch.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    you can't wield your own runeblades if you aren't runewarden already.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • It's morphin' time bitches.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Shut up I want my instant Cripplesects
  • I'll be able to switch fast enough to absolve people who survive my brokenstar attempts, r-right? :3
  • Yeah, as Sarapis would lament (and has), how you'd have liked to set stuff up and how it is set up can be two different things. Occasionally they have to go through and do a structural rework with no aesthetic change just so things make more sense for them sorting through or adding new systems in a way that's efficient.

So even though the "multiclass" change itself is straightforward, the game has been structured around people and skills being a single class. In a Q&A a year or two ago, they stated that multiclass would be an easy switch to make but they first have to both move and replace skills from the tradeskill classes and change the relationship between class and house, which includes balancing any new skills.

If I were me (and I am), I'd have my coding team sandbox new changes on a dummy server to prevent bugs, but no matter how careful, the player base would inevitably use combinations of things that would tie knots in stuff in ways you couldn't possibly predict ahead of time, so there's the trial phase in every new skill introduced, another delay. Yes, it was something of a run-on sentence. Thank you for noticing. Design can take longer, and rightly should, because if you approach a function head-on to get it to do what you want and build outward from there, you can end up with a mess that you have to go back and rewrite and check and re-check to figure out why it's not working.

My primary problem with coding design is that I forget stuff after I've thought of it, pieces that I need. I do have a plastic Wal-Mart bag full of sticky notes from the office that I will someday transfer to my laptop, but sometimes (frequently) you're in the shower and don't have any sticky notes, and for some reason your ideas get lost in the steam the second you start drying off.

Kinda got sidetracked there... but I think my point was that simple ideas get complicated in implementation.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • But back to my original question, any ideas or opinions of how many classes per person? Or any other restrictions besides alignment?
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    aren't they capping it at two?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    aren't they capping it at two?
    That would... Be such a waste of coding time. Might as well encourage people to alt more instead. My money is on 3-5. 
  • Would it be limited also to one factional class? As in, you can be Paladin but not also Priest?

I saw someone mention the idea earlier, restricting to one magic and one physical-based. (even though most of them have both) Came up with this attempt at categorization, and I know new classes aren't on the agenda, but is a Chaos knight needed? And are Hashan and Cyrene doomed to neutrality?

*I did note the possibility that Sylvans are also forestal priests, and that they share something with Magi. And I suppose Monks/Blademaster have similarities and are both priestly and knightly.

"Knights" were primarily those that use physical weapons as their main tool (excluding sents).
  • Off-topic a bit, but why DID the admins block the idea of Chaos Knights? Was it just because the thought of transmog'd knights repeatedly doing chaosrays/arc is silly?
  • Could implement with chaosrays etc. being *Occultist only, so that probably isn't the issue. But now that forging isn't a knight thing it'll mean Chivalry + two skillsets. Knights with Tarot are obviously a terrible idea and falcons are already annoying enough without inserting entities. Would probably have to be abilities from scratch for the 3rd.
  • When we don't implement something, it's not "blocking" the idea. It's simply not implementing it, right along with the essentially infinite other ideas we don't implement!
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Sarapis said:
    When we don't implement something, it's not "blocking" the idea. It's simply not implementing it, right along with the essentially infinite other ideas we don't implement!
    Hence why I love admin feedback on classleads. Its nice to read "we'll investigate implementing this" or "this is something we would never consider in a million years" so you have some sort of response on your ideas.

• @Aktillum Exactly why we have the 'idea' command.