Multiclassing

Comments

• And I'll be bathing in the tears of the poor suckers that choose Forging.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Arador said:
    And I'll be bathing in the tears of the poor suckers that choose Forging.
    Remember there is a weapon overhaul coming too. So, perhaps, just perhaps, the choice won't be as horribly terrible as it is now. One can dream, at least

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Arador said:
    I take it you'll choose milking then?
  • At least with milking you know that what you made can be used afterwards.

• Arador said:
    At least with milking you know that what you made can be used afterwards.
    But I only milk oleander!
  • I buy that. It makes my venom counter look complete our my OCD flares up.

• edited December 2013

I am pretty amazing, yes.

Edit: Why did I pick priest, of all things? I wanna be magi. :(

• Shirszae said:
    Arador said:
    Remember there is a weapon overhaul coming too. So, perhaps, just perhaps, the choice won't be as horribly terrible as it is now. One can dream, at least
    Was this stated somewhere? Can't find the link to it, derp.  

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • EldEld
    edited December 2013
    Shirszae said:
    Arador said:
    Was this stated somewhere? Can't find the link to it, derp.  
    Many places, yes. Here's one. http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/1286/terraforming-updates-june-2013/p1
    First mention from admin may have been in a classlead report from last year, don't recall exactly.
  • How many classes will we be able to keep one Multiclassing is in?

• We haven't released any info on multiclassing yet I'm afraid, @Borran!

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen

Damnit. I came here cause I saw @Sarapis posted, got excited.... Then remembered this is ships all over again. :( Why you tease me so?

• @Trey: They're also one of the things that will (probably) be required before multiclass, so you all better hope not.

• edited July 2014

DEVELOPER! DEVELOPER! DEVELOPER!

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Borran said:
    How many classes will we be able to keep *once Multiclassing is in?

So I've been dormant for months, have no idea what's happened with houses or anything. I do recall seeing that there would be a limit on the number of classes (alignments aside). Anyone happen to know what the approximate limit was going to be? Or did I make that up?

I thought I heard someone float a number like 4 or 5 back then. Can the Garden confirm or deny a minimum of 5? :P 
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Counting down the days until Palamaster or Palagi is an option.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Sarapis said:

It's not ships all over. There is a -lot- of work to be done before we can release multiclass, including the House conversions. 

Does that mean ships weren't a lot of work and simply took a lot of time because you guys were lazy?
  • edited September 2014
    No idea how much professional coding people have done, but a project as big as the Ships probably could have taken that much time, full-time. Depending on the coding requirements. And they probably had a whole lot of other stuff to work on that was more important.

A huge feature like ships, multiclassing, etc, usually isn't just a quick one or two month job. Especially depending on the underlying engine and how much needs to be done and changed for it to work. And then there's debugging. My goodness, debugging.
  • edited September 2014
    If I remember right (based on old forum posts by, I think, Clementius), ships were scrapped and started over at some point, or at least not actively worked on for a couple years, so it wasn't that long from the "most recent start" to release.
  • Omg I didn't resurrect this dead thread so everyone could talk about ships.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Sena said:
    If I remember right (based on old forum posts by, I think, Clementius), ships were scrapped and started over at some point, or at least not actively worked on for a couple years, so it wasn't that long from the "most recent start" to release.
    Indeed, they weren't worked on for probably 4.5 of those 6 years, and when it was picked up again, most of it was rewritten.
  • The fun part of this is gambling on whether @Tecton and @Sarapis can code multiclassing before it evolves into the same forum meme that ships did.  @Santar has fired the first shot.  TYPE FASTER, TECTON, TYPE FASTER*.  My money is on the forums.  Never bet against the forum-snark.

* I have no idea what is involved in actual coding, my multiclass script would read:

10 Print "You are now multiclass, yay!"
    20 GOTO 10
  • I don't understand why anyone thinks that adding multiclassing would require an immense coding effort.
  • Why would it not? Apart from the DB structure of the character itself you have to take into account that the House changes have to happen first, trade skills have to be split away and replaced with something if needed. All of this is a massive amount of work and only then do you start looking at Multiclass itself.

Sure I think it would be simpler than how it would have been in the days before Dragon became a class on its own, but I do not think Multiclass itself is the holdup, it is all the other work needed for it to happen.