Talismans

Comments

• If you're going that route, rather than just on catching fish or just on killing fish while diving, I'd consider putting the talisman rewards on deckhand's cooking ability instead.  Finding a talisman when you cut the fish open could be neat. 

Plenty of opportunity everywhere though, I really hope this system catches on more.  Very eager to see the next set of talismans!
  • Talismans for killing sea monsters too. Might need to make sea monsters more common, not sure how rare they are now.

Ideas for effects: Cosmetic changes to the ship (the ship appearance, the rooms outside of the cabin/housing, stuff that can't normally be changed), cosmetic changes to the crew/shipmates/swashbucklers, reduced crew endurance drain or faster recovery, unique seaspells that are either purely for flavour or only give a slight advantage.
  • @sarapis Have you considered letting people level up their talismans to learn new talismoves and battle them against other people's talismans.

And you could breed talismans. Red talisman + black talisman = blood talisman. It's the natural progression.

Or maybe you could build a deck out of talismans and battle them on some sort of game board.
  • I thought they were already levelling up.

O.o
  • Yeah, I will say, ship activities are the perfect kind of thing for Talisman production insofar as ships don't affect PvP but do involve a lot of very repeatable activities (realistically, repeatable/grindy activities is how Talismans need to be generated for the most part, barring perhaps first time quest completions).
  • @sarapis Have you considered letting people level up their talismans to learn new talismoves and battle them against other people's talismans.

And you could breed talismans. Red talisman + black talisman = blood talisman. It's the natural progression.

Or maybe you could build a deck out of talismans and battle them on some sort of game board.

Pink polo talisman + popped collar talisman = douchebag talisman? That kind of thing?
  • Is there a possibility for talismans to allow for unusual races? So there would be no stat changes, but you could appear as say, a pixie, or an imp, (as two easily identifiable examples.) That would be a cosmetic change with not actual effect.
  • There are no particular restrictions on what Talismans could possibly do. Just a matter of making them do what it is we wish. 

As tempting as it is to let people go to town though, there are RP consequences to letting people become some races. I guess the restrictions can't be that iron-clad though, given things like gem of transmutation, which I regret ever putting into the game.
  • Alynna said:
    Would be neat if there were perhaps factional races, such as dryads for Eleusis, daemonic for Mhaldor, perhaps some sort of chaos-people for Ashtan, dusty twilight/ourania/night stuff for Hashan, angelic people for Targossas, and strudel-people for Cyrene.

Sorry, couldn't think of a good factional race for Cyrene.
    Brb reincarnating arachnoi.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Alynna, gingerbread men.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• ... How do you not go straight to Carebear for Cyrene?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Because My Little Pony would be next on the evolutionary chain.

Oh, oh.. Pastel pony mounts ridden by Carebears is the most ridiculously cute, vomit inducing mental image ever.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I would definitely evolve from Tsol'aa to Sidhe if I could. Or transmute. Or anything. I even have a Sidhe halberd!

Just take my money already!

• I'm glad I'm not the only one to ever buy an artefact halberd.
  • Sasiya said:
    I would definitely evolve from Tsol'aa to Sidhe if I could. Or transmute. Or anything. I even have a Sidhe halberd!

I'd love to take your money, but there are bigger issues too! For instance, why is one of the Sidhe suddenly hanging around with players, in player cities? It's not as easy as just enabling the option on a technical level.
  • Kyrra said:
    Because My Little Pony would be next on the evolutionary chain.
    I'd defect to Cyrene, not even going to lie. 

• I will pay you FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS, if you let me be a magical orca that can fly around on land.

• Oooh, so close, but the magical flying orca has already been claimed by a player who wishes to remain anonymous. You will know her because you will suddenly find yourself sliding down her gullet, in pieces.
  • Santar said:
    I will pay you FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS, if you let me be a magical orca that can fly around on land.
    Thought you wanted to be a unicorn :( If not you lied to me!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    What is this Cyrenian blasmephy. @Phaestus, help me out here!

Cyrene is so diverse, ugh. Tritons would fit in perfectly to the lore/culture, but no everyone would go for that. But I'd live it.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Sarapis said:
    Sasiya said:
    I would definitely evolve from Tsol'aa to Sidhe if I could. Or transmute. Or anything. I even have a Sidhe halberd!

I'd love to take your money, but there are bigger issues too! For instance, why is one of the Sidhe suddenly hanging around with players, in player cities? It's not as easy as just enabling the option on a technical level.
    I can think of lots of reasons. Why would the Sidhe not ever want to want to explore the world, ever? What if a Sidhe committed a crime and became an outcast? Or it could be a changeling (this would fit in with the fae sort of thing going on with Annwyn). And so on and so forth. I used to play a mud where players could actually submit an application to have their race changed on a cosmetic level (stats, etc, would remain as their old race) but they had to submit a valid application and roleplay accordingly.

It's a bit unrelated to the topic of the conversation, but I think it's more of how you chose approach the situation (players are not mature enough to handle this vs players can do really exciting things with this). Overall, I've found that a lof of the things I think would be neat that is relating to roleplay (new crafts, features for crafts, sylvan/chaos lord descriptions, races, etc) gets met with scepticism on the basis that 'this would not work in Achaea because players can't handle it'. At least that's the experience I've had when talking to other players about features that I enjoy in other more rp-driven muds. And I think that is a shame.

Sorry for derailing!
  • Phaestus said:
    Melodie said:
    What is this Cyrenian blasmephy. @Phaestus, help me out here! Cyrene is so diverse, ugh. Tritons would fit in perfectly to the lore/culture, but no everyone would go for that. But I'd live it.

Who can guess why I am not helping here?

And why my forehead hurts.

Beceause the seas are a filthy place filled with filthy filthy beasts?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I tried. :(
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Will there be any artifacts sold that help with gathering talismans (increased drop rate, higher chance of rare pieces, etcetera)?
  • Sasiya said:
    Will there be any artifacts sold that help with gathering talismans (increased drop rate, higher chance of rare pieces, etcetera)?
    Can't imagine doing so, no.