Talismans

Comments

• Sarapis said:
    Penwize said:
    Skye said:
    This can only end awesomely >_>
    Fixed that for you!  It's like a shout, only it costs the shouter their life, looks cooler, and can be heard by people who are deaf and don't have aural earrings.
    No, not like a shout. The custom stuff is only witnessed by the people in the room with you.
    Aww, sounded very much like it would be a deathsight message.
  • Can you explain what the orb thing does?  @Sarapis
  • Sounds like it lets you walk a few rooms on ocean tiles in the wilderness map as if they were regular water
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Sarapis said:
    Dunn said:
    Reasoning being that the atlatl is going to be fairly rarely used.
    Why do you say that?  People will stockpile these things for raid defense and possibly icon fights.
  • Achilles said:

Why do you say that?  People will stockpile these things for raid defense and possibly icon fights.
    If the drop rate I've been getting is any indication ... just one is going to take quiiiite some time to get.
  • edited November 2013
    I think it's a bit short-sighted to say the spears are going to be rarely used, but whatevs. I like the sound of all of these new talismans, though it's pretty likely some will be off-limits to Targ.

Or, wait, do the mobs on those islands have a chance to drop any of those talisman pieces?

• Triak said:
    Can you explain what the orb thing does?  @Sarapis
    Lets fliers fly over deep ocean for X number of squares (500 I think right now, but we may adjust that downwards). 
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Not sure what I think about the orbs. Lessening sailing etc.

Not that I think I'll be able to use it ICly, anyway, but what happens if you run out of tiles in the middle of the ocean? If you're just a few steps away from losing it and can't make land, is there some means of escape? Can ships run into you and instantly kill you out on the ocean?

Will withhold judgments on spear for now, though worried somewhat.

Knife seems interesting. Any idea what the deathsight will be?
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited November 2013
    Most of the things seem reasonable for the new talismans. I probably won't be bothering to gather them for a while because of the "mad rush" to get them, though. It doesn't seem like any of the things there are "must have", but they do seem like neat additions.

The only thing that really perplexes me, like others, is the catapult thing. In order the items were something like: mildly useful, mildly useful, kind of cool, MASSIVE DAMAGE AREA ATTACK, neat little flavour thing x 3.  Don't know what the atlatl thing does in specific though, obviously.

• Melodie said:
    Not sure what I think about the orbs. Lessening sailing etc. Not that I think I'll be able to use it ICly, anyway, but what happens if you run out of tiles in the middle of the ocean? If you're just a few steps away from losing it and can't make land, is there some means of escape? Can ships run into you and instantly kill you out on the ocean? Will withhold judgments on spear for now, though worried somewhat. Knife seems interesting. Any idea what the deathsight will be?

If you run out, you die a horrible watery death. Don't run out. The knife deathsight will include whatever custom message you chose to martyr yourself with.
  • edited November 2013
    Santar said:
    Most of the things seem reasonable for the new talismans. I probably won't be bothering to gather them for a while because of the "mad rush" to get them, though. It doesn't seem like any of the things there are "must have", but they do seem like neat additions.

The only thing that really perplexes me, like others, is the catapult thing. In order the items were something like: mildly useful, mildly useful, kind of cool, MASSIVE DAMAGE AREA ATTACK, neat little flavour thing x 3.  Don't know what the atlatl thing does in specific though, obviously.
    The 'rush' for them will be a bit different than Dragon Talismans I suspect, as three of them are single-use. Dragon Talismans (which I regret making tradeable, frankly), never go away, so eventually there won't be that much demand for the pieces. I'm hoping the demand may stay a little more level for these, because of the single-use ones.

The atlatl is like a meteor tarot in the sense that you toss it and the target gets some warning (though less than meteor) to gtfo. If the target doesn't move, the spear hits and it does a lot of damage. A LOT of damage. Not enough to one-shot a dragon, but a lot. 

Realistically, while people may very occasionally get ganked by a couple of these, my suspicion is that instead people will hoard them and be very reluctant to use them. We'll see! Altering the drop rates to increase or decrease rarity is easily done though.

Oh, and yeah, these aren't designed to be must-haves. Most Talismans will be small things just generally. They're largely intended as a way to make loot a little more interesting and give people specific reasons to bash specific areas.
  • Silas said:
    I think it's a bit short-sighted to say the spears are going to be rarely used, but whatevs. I like the sound of all of these new talismans, though it's pretty likely some will be off-limits to Targ. Or, wait, do the mobs on those islands have a chance to drop any of those talisman pieces
    Why off-limit to Targ? The mobs on those islands have a chance to drop any of those Talisman pieces.
  • edited November 2013
    Well, if all you have to do to cancel them is move, then that's kind of a waste, if it gets used up even if they avoid it.

Seems like it'd be used to defend vs sanctioning possibly, but not much else. It sounds like kind of a weird item, honestly, not sure if I like it. The user isn't encouraged to use it because it's hard to obtain, single use, and avoidable, and then on the defender's side, it just basically one shots them? That's about the opposite of "balanced". 

And on the dragon talisman thing, yeah, I figure in 6 months time, dragon talismans will basically be free. "Oh, you got dragon, here's a full set of talismans since they're so common" Oh well, though.

• Will the orbs be useable from ships. like can you climb down the rope ladder of a ship at sea if you have an orb or will they only work from walking out to sea from land?

• You will have to find out when you get one! (But they're only for flying, not walking. They are how the Atavians originally got across the ocean from Arcadia to Azatlan.)
  • Sarapis said:
    Silas said:
    I think it's a bit short-sighted to say the spears are going to be rarely used, but whatevs. I like the sound of all of these new talismans, though it's pretty likely some will be off-limits to Targ. Or, wait, do the mobs on those islands have a chance to drop any of those talisman pieces
    Why off-limit to Targ? The mobs on those islands have a chance to drop any of those Talisman pieces.
    Some (though judging from Silas's post not all) of those islands are off limits for us to hunt on, so we wouldn't be able to get certain talismans if their pieces only dropped on one of the islands. Though since that's not the case it's not an issue.
  • Talisman pieces are tradeable, so anyone can obtain one by trading. Certainly, I see Talisman Dragon pieces for sale on market all the time.
  • Sarapis said:
    Dunn said:
    Reasoning being that the atlatl is going to be fairly rarely used.
    That's what you think. I guarantee that at least one person is going to make you regret putting them in, even if the drop rate is only 1% of the time in an area that is small.

• Cooper said:
    That's what you think. I guarantee that at least one person is going to make you regret putting them in, even if the drop rate is only 1% of the time in an area that is small.
    Nawww, he's got nothing to worry about.  Bonko just quit!
  • Sarapis said:
    Talisman pieces are tradeable, so anyone can obtain one by trading. Certainly, I see Talisman Dragon pieces for sale on market all the time.
    That would presumably be a breach of roleplay as well? Paying for something that you know can only be obtained through slaughter of innocents?

On the other hand, axiom 5? Obtain overpowered meteors at all cost for the glory of Targossas.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    With the dagger, are you able to pre-empt the custom death message such as with emoting, or will it simply start with your name?

Also, this is great. I thought these were a new dragon talisman set. That these are able for anyone to gain and use, and the hint that there will be more, is fairly exciting.

• Well now I need to go cleanse all of my gold in the Chalice of Purity. Credits aren't tainted, right?
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Sarapis said:
    Hint: Some of the gold you're holding was obtained through the slaughter of innocents! There's blood all over them there gold sovereigns.
    Still a big difference from buying them directly from murderers.  

Still this is an opportunity for people to start fencing talismans.
  • Kresslack said:
    With the dagger, are you able to pre-empt the custom death message such as with emoting, or will it simply start with your name?

Also, this is great. I thought these were a new dragon talisman set. That these are able for anyone to gain and use, and the hint that there will be more, is fairly exciting.
    Think of it more like this, "Kresslack has slit his own throat and gasps out, 'Blame Canada' before expiring". That's not exactly it, but gives you the idea. The 'Blame Canada' part is the custom part you define.
  • Achilles said:
    Sarapis said:
    Hint: Some of the gold you're holding was obtained through the slaughter of innocents! There's blood all over them there gold sovereigns.
    Still a big difference from buying them directly from murderers.  

Still this is an opportunity for people to start fencing talismans.
    I buy all my blood diamonds from only the finest of fences, ensuring that I am guiltless!  [-O<