No more credits?

Comments

• Which means it must be impossible.
  • edited March 2013
    Xith said:
    Sena's 220 years old.
    Tri-trans at 67 years old. That was after buying 100 credits, but also after changing class twice (a loss of far more than 100 credits). Quad-trans with an artefact halberd and two room house by 80, total credits purchased up to 225 (less than the value of the halberd).

Edit: Missed a credit purchase, it was actually 475 total by 80 years old. But that's still 900+ credits earned IG.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    I've had 2 characters tritrans within an RL year, and Shera's 9 trans right now. That's without spending RL cash. 

But yeah, I think it's just up to the admin to see if giving more free credits would help retention, since they are the ones who can really check. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• And you guys are how asian? :P
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Trevize changed classes (at least!) seven times, tri-transed each time, only bought credits for one of those. Didn't really grind anything, either.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited March 2013
    There are three choices: work hard, work smart, pay and skip working.

You don't want to do the first, I gather from the fact you don't believe that we managed it easily that you haven't done the second, and you don't want to do the third.

Your solution: handouts.

No thanks. :(

Slight edit: There are actually lots of times credits/artefacts/etc are given out that must be earned (games), or are just randomly given out (events like logosmas). Some are admin-run, some are player-run. Also, many orgs sell credits much cheaper than market. I'm not opposed to those. Just this "I want free stuff now." attitude I dislike.
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I've spent a fair chunk of money on Achaea, but I've gained way more credits IG than I have with a credit card.  My 15k wings were largely an IG purchase, minus the accumulation of credits from the Iron Elite.  I bash a hell of a lot, and I bash smartly when I do.  I realize I'm an outlier, but 15k is also kind of an outlier number too.  Pulling those back into normal numbers, I still say it's plenty possible to get whatever you like IG.  I've already mentioned here in this thread exactly how I do it.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited March 2013
    Sylvance said:
    @Sarapis - would it be out of the question to create a one-time-only-per-character lesson package at a very favourable rate, based on the number of lessons needed to make up the shortfall between credits gained from levelling/newbie tasks, and the lessons needed to dual-Trans? I'm talking a package that a teenager could save up for after flipping burgers for a month.
    @Sylvance: I see this as being perhaps the most sensible comment in the entire thread.

Basic Achaean economics: lessons for gold (which someone mentioned) will create a sizable and permanent gold sink, as new characters and alts are constantly created. This, in turn, will lower the price of credits, making them more accessible, and reducing the value of OOC-ly purchased credits. Bad for business; bad for IRE employees; bad for time spent developing; bad for players. No one wants this.

Extra-market direct purchases of lessons must be done via out-of-character methods. It makes excellent business sense for IRE to offer packages of lessons for the purpose of transing class skills, at a greatly discounted rate, to retain characters, for USD.

Rather than "once-per-character", however, I would recommend the following setup:

Tier One: 1738 lessons, trans one skill. Cost: $50. (~50% of 300 credit package, or some other multiplier chosen by IRE)
    Tier Two: Trans two skills. Cost: $95
    Tier Three: Trans three skills. Cost: $140.
    Tier Four: Trans four skills (three class + survival). Cost: $185.

Per character, one may not purchase more than a total of four tiers. Thus, one could twice purchase tier two, or once tier three and once tier one, etc. From a business perspective, IRE should structure lesson tiers such that Tier Four costs less than combining their component tiers one-by-one, and same with Tiers Two and Three (some money now is better than the "promise" of more money later).

As an added benefit, make these lessons "special" in their name. They still work like lessons: they still have to be learned to be useful, but make the time that it takes to use them much shorter. Also, perhaps take the opportunity to hard code their use for only major class skills and survival (hesitant on hard coding, because some investment in class skills already means that you lose a portion of your lesson investment. Maybe allow conversion to regular lessons with an AGREE? Or scrap hard coded restriction all together.).

This suggestion would allow IRE to profit directly from lesson sales, not affect the average price of the credit market (at least, directly), and (hopefully) provide a strong incentive for players to continue playing the game. Given @Sarapis' indication that he is tracking things at several "steps" of the process, I would of course highly recommend using test markets for this, first.

Cheers!
    Two further thoughts:

(1) I think that the above proposal would definitely benefit alt retention. I am uncertain about how it would benefit newbie player retention.

(2) True test of this system would be how well it converts its participants into Iron Elite members. I think that Iron Elite does an excellent job of converting its members into standard credit purchasers, considering the amount of time required to wait between months to build up credits substantial enough to purchase more useful artefacts. To this end, I think that once one purchases a total of four tiers, some sort of deal ought to be given on an Iron Elite membership. Perhaps a free month?
  • edited March 2013
    Not a bad proposal. I'm uncertain how much it would help with new players, though. $50/$95/$140, for many, will seem like a lot for a new game you're uncertain about. Even with a free month of Iron Elite.

Still, I like it. Direct lesson sale, specifically designed to help trans class skills.
    edited March 2013
    Trevize said:
    Not a bad proposal. I'm uncertain how much it would help with new players, though. $50/$95/$140, for many, will seem like a lot for a new game you're uncertain about. Even with a free month of Iron Elite.

Still, I like it. Direct lesson sale, specifically designed to help trans class skills.
    Agreed on the new players bit, hence my addendum, and for precisely the reason you mentioned. I can imagine that it will help some, of course. The question is, how much? At this point, I am inclined to think that some is better than none. It's not like IRE is taking that much of a bath on the deal. It seems to me like they would likely be gaining more money from alts, even if nothing else.
  • edited March 2013
    Nizaris said:

I am inclined to think that some is better than none.

Agreed.

edit: I'm not opposed to making it easier for people to get started. Quite the opposite. I just dislike the notion that it is not possible with the current state of affairs!
  • NimNim
    edited March 2013

@Nizaris: Probably not a bad idea objectively, but if I pretend I am a new player, and I pretend I'm reading into Achaea, and I pretend that they have those packages and that I've found them, I just decided to stop playing the game where a single skill (out of like, how many? I don't even know, I'm new and most skill-based games have dozens of skills!) costs $50 as a deal. That's more than I usually spend on entire games! Actually, the average game I get now is about $5 to $10, so that's about 5-10 times more!

ETA: oh no @Trevize ninja'd me because I'm really slow at foruming. I still think my point's different though, because my point is that, while it might potentially be beneficial, it might also be harmful.

ETA 2: The Return of the Editing: I should add that it's harmful because Achaea is a free game, and thus attracts a demographic of people who like free games. Telling them they have to pay up front is like, not good. You wanna be respectful and discrete about it, make them want to pay you, preferably without ever asking them to. That's likely how and why most of Achaea's current player-base supports it in the first place; I'm sure most people justify their payments with "it keeps a great game that I love alive." 

Nim said:

@Nizaris: Probably not a bad idea objectively, but if I pretend I am a new player, and I pretend I'm reading into Achaea, and I pretend that they have those packages and that I've found them, I just decided to stop playing the game where a single skill (out of like, how many? I don't even know, I'm new and most skill-based games have dozens of skills!) costs $50 as a deal. That's more than I usually spend on entire games! Actually, the average game I get now is about $5 to $10, so that's about 5-10 times more!

Agreed. However, I think that IRE does a pretty decent job of "hiding" the need for credits. For example, mentors are prohibited from broaching the topic, until after their protege has brought the topic up of "hey, how do I advance more quickly". Most of my true-newbie proteges actually have no idea of credits, either. So, that's testament to IRE's success, in that regard.

Then again, Achaea has always faced the problem where it really has to front load value (what I get), before discussion of cost (what I pay). Unlike buying a car, for example, where what you get and what you pay are more or less advertised at the same time, right there on the windshield. That's all freemium games, too: get them hooked, then offer them an opportunity to pay for perks.

True newbies aren't going to have any idea of what "transcending a skill" means, either. That definition should be made in-game, and once they're a bit more established.

In short, it all comes in how you sell what's available. IRE has thusfar proven themselves to be rather discrete in these matters, so I'm inclined to see what they could do with this.
  • @Nizaris: Achaea generally does do a good job. Their one failing, I think, is ironically probably one of their biggest successes; the membership plan, which I'm sure most of their paying customers love, and I'm sure its popularity and stability are good for IRE too. However, it is a visible "you should pay $25/mo," and I wish they sold it as a premium plan, and had a $12/mo plan added to be a "typical" in-between, even if for no other reason than marketing.
  • I guess I'm not exactly the average IRE-player, but...

I never had any problem justifying buying credits. Bashing for ten hours and earning 400,000 gold at the very top end of bashing? Spending ten hours at my work and buying ~300 credits?

Yeah, whoever posted the quote that 'wealth is time' was right on the mark.

• Sasiya said:
    I guess I'm not exactly the average IRE-player, but...

I never had any problem justifying buying credits. Bashing for ten hours and earning 400,000 gold at the very top end of bashing? Spending ten hours at my work and buying ~300 credits?

Yeah, whoever posted the quote that 'wealth is time' was right on the mark.
    When I first started, I was in college, working part time, and they (work) barely wanted to give me the hours I needed to pay the bills. I had no cash for games at that time.

Now? Sure, I'll toss some to Achaea. I don't feel bad about how much more I'm spending, than I would on other games, either. It's going towards a game that I've enjoyed for ten-ish years, for more hours than I've spent in almost every other game added together.
  • edited March 2013
    Trevize said:

I actually agree with this comment, however the fact that it's true pisses me off.

Seriously, by the time a truebie is seriously considering OOC payments, they should have discovered that Achaea blows the ass off of any other game they've played.  They should also be aware that what they're being offered at these price points has been heavily subsidised just so that people like them can get a 'fair shot' at Achaea (in quotes because all of my previous comments about there being nothing wrong with the current system still stand). They've hopefully played for a couple of weeks already (and so know whether they like it or not), which is more than you'll get out of 9/10 videogames on the market right now, and, in all honesty, more than I've ever spent on any non-IRE MUD despite many, many forays into the internets looking for something better.

SPOILER: Not only is there nothing better, there's nothing close to as good.

Bottom Line: If they still don't think $50 is a freaking steal for what they're getting (minding the fact that they still do not need to buy it to enjoy Achaea) then nothing anybody can reasonably suggest is going to satisfy them.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited March 2013
    Sylvance said:

Bottom Line: If they still don't think $50 is a freaking steal for what they're getting (minding the fact that they still do not need to buy it to enjoy Achaea) then nothing anybody can reasonably suggest is going to satisfy them.

You have played for a total of 404 days, 3 hours and 13 minutes.

9699.21 hours.

Yep.

edit: almost none of that was AFK.

edit again: and that's only one character - granted, my main, but still!
  • Trevize said:
    Sylvance said:

You have played for a total of 404 days, 3 hours and 13 minutes.

9699.21 hours.

Yep.

edit: almost none of that was AFK.

edit again: and that's only one character - granted, my main, but still!

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited March 2013
    Sherazad said:
    Xith said:
    And you guys are how asian? :P
    I'm actually lazy. Also I get credits for pretending to be an azn chick IRL.
    Whhhhaaaattt?

Ok, all good now

• Heh, I love your passion, but once again you do not need Tri-Trans to enjoy Achaea. The game was awesome long before I started making OOC purchases.  The basic premise of the 'Waah, it's not free' camp seems to be that you have to pay money to play/enjoy/'win' Achaea. This is a premise that is entirely unfounded, frustratingly resilient to reasoning, and, as has been pointed out by other people, jaw-droppingly filled with entitlement.

Why is it that newbies feel that they have to spend money on Achaea in order to enjoy it?  Is it because they're being taught that it's a PvP combat game? My experience of playing alts is that every single House, including the most militant, starts right away by immersing its novices in RP.

Is it because so many other people have spent money on the game that the floor's too high? If yes, then what are we going to say?: "Well too many other people have spent cash on this game, so we'll give you what they paid for for free so you don't feel left out?"

Is it that people are confusing 'Free-to-Play' with 'Free-to-access-everything'? If so, then damn, let's rename the entire FTP market.
  • Free-to-access-everything/Winning Achaea/Self-entitlement != Two trans class skills, it's not a lot to ask from a MUD that claims to be free-to-play.

Again, people do not play this game for the same reason. Yes, you don't feel it's necessary to have some of your class skills to play Achaea, but this does not mean it holds true for plenty of the potential and existing population of Achaea. Nor has anyone asked for class skills to be awarded to the player immediately. Stop making points up out of thin air. 

• edited March 2013
    Sylvance said:
    Heh, I love your passion, but once again you do not need Tri-Trans to enjoy Achaea. The game was awesome long before I started making OOC purchases.  The basic premise of the 'Waah, it's not free' camp seems to be that you have to pay money to play/enjoy/'win' Achaea. This is a premise that is entirely unfounded, frustratingly resilient to reasoning, and, as has been pointed out by other people, jaw-droppingly filled with entitlement.

Why is it that newbies feel that they have to spend money on Achaea in order to enjoy it?  Is it because they're being taught that it's a PvP combat game? My experience of playing alts is that every single House, including the most militant, starts right away by immersing its novices in RP.

Is it because so many other people have spent money on the game that the floor's too high? If yes, then what are we going to say?: "Well too many other people have spent cash on this game, so we'll give you what they paid for for free so you don't feel left out?"

Is it that people are confusing 'Free-to-Play' with 'Free-to-access-everything'? If so, then damn, let's rename the entire FTP market.
    Achaea's greatest feature in the game is its pvp mechanics. So all players should have the right to enjoy the pvp without having to pay.

And players can't really enjoy pvp fully if they can't even trans one skill.

Players who spent real money still can benefit from buying artefacts. Thats the whole point of artefacts is to give payers a huge advantage. There should be no need to even make the game pay to progress skills after you reach level 70 or bash for gold to buy credits till you you go blind staring at the computer screen.

Really. What non payer finds this enticing?

• Only ever bought a globe myself with ooc means, but is still omni trans (not counting crafting skills), I suppose I could have purchased credits, I do have the means, just to me it is more fun accomplishing things in game, which is doable, sure it takes a bit longer, is still fun enough though, besides I would rate interacting with other people over pvp any day.
  • edited March 2013
    Melodie said:
    Achaea's greatest feature in the game is its pvp mechanics.
    I think you will find many in Achaea who disagree with this opinion, so the rest of your post that is built on this foundation has a few cracks, I'm afraid.
    Okay then so what is better then the pvp? Fishing? Ratting? Hunting? Typing an essay about respect for the house? Trying to run for a political position? Trying to win an artistic contest or bard contest? Roleplaying?

People do all of those activities so they can get credits or some form of power. Nobody is just going to waste their dilly dallying doing mindless things for no reward. People fish for gold to buy credits. They hunt so they can reach level 100 to bash for better gold as dragon to eventually buy credits. People entering the artstic contest and bard contest so they can win credits. People use these credits for pvp reasons to get artefacts and tri trans.

The only people who don't do activities for some sort of credit/lesson reward are people who either trans all their skills or close to max trans.

Really. Go read the Achaea reviews. All of them give praise to Achaea's pvp mechanics.

If the pvp aspect of Achaea isn't the main core aspect, then why are so many players who still play today have such high amounts of their credits invested in artefacts and lessons?

Obviously pvp is the main source of income for this game. Since when have you heard people buying credits so they can roleplay or obtain house positions? So its clear to see that many people will pay money for transing skills and aretefacts so thus pvp is the most important thing in the game because majority of Achaea's remaining game population are willing to pay money for it. There is no other activity in the game people will pay money for.

I believe the game could be a lot better if lessons weren't so difficult to get. The developers and admins can still make money from artefacts, and the new player base would be a lot bigger and this would cause the game to grow. Its a short term loss for a long term gain.
  • edited March 2013
    I don't think I've ever before hoped that something I read was a troll post as hard as I just did. Where to even start?

ETA: The best thing that can be said about that post, @Nyboe, is that it was egocentric.
This discussion has been closed.