Combat Logs

Comments

• Just to verify, it is 100% not legal to kill someone for being a soldier under any circumstance outside of war conditions. Outside of war they are a standard defender and you're entitled to attack them as if they were any normal person: once they give you a reason. If you get issued and that is your justification (and they've been minding their own business and completely not involved themself in the raid), you're going to lose that issue nine times out of ten.

Pretty much the golden rule applies there: apply common sense.

• I thought the golden rule was to grief others as you would like to be griefed.

• #ThePKRulesBehindTheVeil

• I thought we just needed RP justification and that we didn't have PK rules anymore. :(
  • Rangor said:
    I thought we just needed RP justification and that we didn't have PK rules anymore. :(
    he's basically just saying not to answer the issue:  "He's a soldier so I can kill him in his city".

If you wrote: "His city raided my city yesterday so I returned in kind by targetting the soldiers of this city."  You would probably be ok.  (Assuming it wasn't something you did constantly and just hid behind that reasoning to grief someone)
  • edited August 2014
    Killing random people for "RP" isn't a thing. The rule isn't literally RP-PK. It's "kill people that you have a reasonable justification to kill." 

I'll pull some excerpts from the help file:

- This does not mean you can attack other players repeatedly just for being a member of an opposing organisation. 

- A player must have done something serious to you to warrant an attack, and they must be aware of the conflict before you attack them.
     This one is pretty clear. You can't attack someone unless you directly have a reason to do so. Thus, no attacking random members of enemy organizations, unless they've done some legitimate action to provoke an attack from your character.

Jhui said:
    Rangor said:
    I thought we just needed RP justification and that we didn't have PK rules anymore. :(
    he's basically just saying not to answer the issue:  "He's a soldier so I can kill him in his city".

If you wrote: "His city raided my city yesterday so I returned in kind by targetting the soldiers of this city."  You would probably be ok.  (Assuming it wasn't something you did constantly and just hid behind that reasoning to grief someone)

This type of logic is dumb. Everyone should just act according to the appropriate rules at all times.  This logic just leads to pointless circular conflicts where each side is behaving stupidly. Killing unrelated city soldiers because your city got raided in the past isn't good justification. That issue should be ruled against you.

• edited August 2014
    Santar said:

- A player must have done something serious to you to warrant an attack, and they must be aware of the conflict before you attack them.
    I agree the way I stated it was dumb.  I guess adding the bold is essentially what I meant to tack on to the reasoning as well.

If they are aware you are there to raid and start a sanction in response to something, it seems perfectly RP justified and legit under the PK rules to me.
  • edited August 2014
    I agree with that general sentiment as well. I posted similarly yesterday. 

It's always much more justified to PK someone if they know you're about to PK them. Appearing in someone's room and shanking them without their knowledge is different than showing up in a city, hanging around for 5 mins, then attacking people. Basically, the less reason you have to PK someone, the more you should make your intent clear. If you're a raiding party that's been in a city for a few minutes and has very obviously been spotted, then at that point I don't see a problem with considering the soldiers fair game.

I use this same philosophy in my solo-PKs. If a situation isn't totally clear, or I think someone might throw a fit, I'll make it abundantly clear that they're about to get attacked for whatever reason. It's a lot harder to blame the PKer for something if they make their intent clear, as long as their intent is somewhat reasonable.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp

Who needs common sense when all I need is this here victim card? Yuuuuuuuuup.

• How are you not a shrub?  Seriously.
  • He doesn't really complain about people or call people out really. He just comments from a general attitude of "this shit is lame".

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Alrena gloriously eye sigils Akia (Serpent) in Annwyn. Great job Alrena
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/9ee8eed7
  • Embarrassing coz of dat deafness prio against occie?

• edited August 2014
    Daeir said:
    Makarios said:
    Every attempt I've heard of to get a sanction in the past 6 months has been technically illegal then.

Damn.

That's definitely not true.  There is a huge difference between attacking people who are obviously grouped up for city defense (what usually occurs) and ganking random afk people, fishing for a sanction/farming deathsights.  What's worse is 5v1 ganking people you don't like, then playing it off after the fact like you wanted to raid.
  • Hey @Makarios, while you're making combat rulings can you finally formally clarify this business?

Carmell and other Targossians defile a shrine to Sartan in Tir Murann, very obviously. I warn her via OOC message that according to my sensibilities (common sense) she's participating in shrine conflict - the tug of war over spots between Sartan and Aurora/Deucalion - and so I'm not going to let her run into Tir Murann unattacked the next time we're taking back the spot (to serve as an earring target for her hostile allies, witness us, lay rites nearby, scope out the situation, etc.). I tell her I'm warning her so she doesn't just run in solo against a group of 3-4 next time and get killed instantly but so she can come in with a group and have a fight about it.

Message #2425       Sent by Carmell
    8/29/23:52 // fyi you didn't show up there to witness so what proof do you have.

This is the only response. 

Does her behavior violate common sense, and would I win the issue-reply if I engaged in a skirmish and attacked a frequent defiler who engages in this sort of "gotcha" / "neener neener" behavior? I know beyond question both OOCly as a player and ICly as a character that Carmell (and this is an example, there are numerous others who do this in Targossas) is a linchpin of this shrine conflict, doesn't hesitate to attack our group members or participate in fights over shrines when she thinks the numbers are in her favor, and therefore as both a player and a character has instigated conflict that makes her a legitimate target during shrine defilement. This isn't some random semi-dormant non-com who shows up one time to witness a shrine and gets ganked. There's a clear story and pattern of behavior here.

So, yea or nay?  

For reference, see below for the only relevant official PK documentation in existence at the moment, sections bolded for my emphasis. If you're bringing back the PK rules with rulings out of left field that the vast majority of the combat-enjoying playerbase didn't see coming (i.e. that raid sanction one just now), you could at least do us the courtesy of documenting it somewhere.

Shrine war against Sartan seems to be serious. Carmell, Davio, Draqoom, et al seem to be aware we're angry/intending conflict about it. Killing them doesn't seem to be just about them being Targossian or looking at us sideways. We seem to be able to explain why. And we seem to have justification.

-----

There must be a justifiable role-play reason for every attack and death.

This does not mean you can attack other players repeatedly just for being a
    member of an opposing organisation. Neither can you justify your behaviour by
    claiming something like "my character is a psycho killer!" A player must have
    done something serious to you to warrant an attack, and they must be aware of
    the conflict before you attack them.

Those of you who go around regularly attacking players because they belong to
    an organisation you dislike, look at you sideways, or for any other weak
    reason, will incur administrative punishment.

If a situation arises where your reason(s) for attacking someone are called
    into question, you are expected to be able to explain why. If you can't
    remember why you were going to attack someone, you should probably just let the
    matter drop.

If players are repeatedly attacking others with no justification whatsoever,
    this is the point at which the administration should be involved. Carefully
    review HELP ISSUES and then submit an issue according to the procedure
    described therein.
  • I just ignore people like her. Issue me if you're so concerned.

• edited August 2014
    Call it a rant, or whatever you'd like... but being 'mind thrown' from a room that you're actively disemboweling Monk (not to mention the Torso / Double Leg Breaks) should instantly DSB them similar to tumble, at the least.

Beings that Knight is the only limbprep class without a ability parry counter (Yes, I know venoms and arm breaks work), at least throw us a bone here. Come on. The DSB prep alone took 6 minutes to get around a reasonably smart opponent that static parries.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=NEVrmgY8

You're killing me, smalls. ( @Xer )

@Makarios - make it happen. I'll love you forever.
    /rant

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• Head brrak?
  • XerXer Langley
    edited August 2014
    With a Mindprint, even without turtling up on a head break, I think it'd be possible to lock and throw before the dsb goes through. Moreso with an Intellect Crown. I've only heard about it and never tried it out until just then, but it definitely does seem like an oversight that you can throw people off like that without any repercussions. I want to suggest that Mind Throwing someone off that has you impaled gives the impaled person dsb, but that just means Knight/Monk class combinations can do that intentionally for burst dsb/bbt damage off leg breaks haha.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • @Jovolo said:
    Head break?  FTFY
    The cure balance for that is 4 seconds. My DSL is 1.8.
    By the time I broke the head, then torso (Or even torso, then head) - he still would have been able to cure. 

Torso > Head > Legs
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/7d0738e0

Head > Torso > Legs
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/043b5af1

Still not possible.

Even if you lead into it with being off salve balance off an Arm break... (haha, this is getting ridiculous) - The moment the head cures, telepathy is usable again. It doesn't break the mindlock.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• Been saying this for months.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • By running a few trials, the FASTEST I can get the legs broken with a head break still has the head recovering at 2 seconds in to the first legbreak. 

T : 00:00    DSL 1.8s | Epseth/Epteth (1s + 1s) + Armbreak
         00:05    <Mending Apply 1>
         01:05    <Mending Apply 2>
         02:05    <Restoration Apply : Arm>
         02:10    DSL 1.8s | Epteth/Epteth (1s + 1s) + Headbreak
         03:90    DSL 1.8s | Delph/Delph Leg
         05:70    DSL 1.8s | Epseth/Epteth (1s|1s) Leg2
         06:10    <Salve Balance> <If they have Equilibrium, they can now mindthrow>
         07:50    IMPALE 3.8s
         11:30    DISEMBOWEL

Using those times listed above, From 6.1 seconds to 11.3 seconds (5.2 seconds) - a monk's free to mind throw and stop the Disembowel.

-Albert Einstein

• I'm not suggesting it's even remotely balanced at the minute. Just offering an alternative. I would aim for something like arm eps/ept, head eps/ept, torso delph/delph, leg cur/pref, leg cur/pref. If you dsl at 2s or quicker, you can fit that inside rebound.
  • edited August 2014
    Jovolo said:
    I'm not suggesting it's even remotely balanced at the minute. Just offering an alternative. I would aim for something like arm eps/ept, head eps/ept, torso delph/delph, leg cur/pref, leg cur/pref. If you dsl at 2s or quicker, you can fit that inside rebound.
    Let's break it down.

As you can see, same problem. Head is cured before arms. Server side prioritizes Head, as well as svo.

T 00:00  DSL 1.8s | Arm 1 : Epseth/Epteth 
       00:05  <Mending 1 : Legs> Epseth
       01:05  <Mending 2 : Arms> Epteth

01:80  DSL 1.8s | Head : Epseth/Epteth
       02:05  <Restoration Apply - Priority : Head>   (svo & server side both Prio head by default)

03:60  DSL 1.8s | Torso : Delph/Delph
                 <Prone>

05:40  DSL 1.8s | Leg1 : Curare/Prefarar
       05:45  <Bloodroot eat> Paralysis
       06:05  Head Break           *** Same problem. 6:05s to 12.8s = mind throwable. ***
       06:05 <Restoration Apply -- Priority : Anything>  
       06:95  <Hawthorn eat> Deafness

07:20  DSL 1.8s | Leg2 : Curare/Prefarar
       08:45  <Bloodroot Eat> Paralysis

09:00  IMPALE 3.8s 
       09:95  <Kelp Eat> Sensitivity
       10:05  <Restoration Apply -- Priority : Anything>

12.80  DISEMBOWEL

-Albert Einstein

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    monks.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited August 2014

@Xer said:
    With a Mindprint, even without turtling up on a head break, I think it'd be possible to lock and throw before the dsb goes through. Moreso with an Intellect Crown. I've only heard about it and never tried it out until just then, but it definitely does seem like an oversight that you can throw people off like that without any repercussions. I want to suggest that Mind Throwing someone off that has you impaled gives the impaled person dsb, but that just means Knight/Monk class combinations can do that intentionally for burst dsb/bbt damage off leg breaks haha.
    I guess its kinda like delph/delph and BBT, I suppose...

...Oh, wait. People do that too! :smile: 

I don't think people can BBT impaled targets, can they?

-Albert Einstein

• Who the hell can mindlock that fast?
  • Jacen said:
    Who the hell can mindlock that fast?
    @Draqoom with 10% Willpower, was pulling sub-8 second mindlocks.

A lot of monks can, and most who are in it for a serious fight mindprint you at the start.

-Albert Einstein