What's cooking?

Comments

• Stir fry is pretty easy and can be a cheap meal. When we buy rice, we get a big bag and put it in one of those old popcorn tins (you know, the one with a ton of popcorn... cleaned, mind you) My go-to stir fry recipe is ground beef, a bag of frozen mixed veggies, and soy sauce. It's not authentic in any means, but it works. Beef flaps work well too.

Another good recipe, if you have a slow cooker, is roast beef. What I do is beef flank, soy sauce, water and dry onion soup mix (which I have been craving!) Add some potatoes and carrots (cut up) and cook all day.
    meh

• Trilliana said:

Another good recipe, if you have a slow cooker, is roast beef. What I do is beef flank, soy sauce, water and dry onion soup mix (which I have been craving!) Add some potatoes and carrots (cut up) and cook all day.
    ^This. Especially if you're going to be out of the apartment/house/whatever for most of the day, slow cooker is something you can just prep the ingredients the night before and just throw everything in (half-awake even) and just let it run all day while you're at classes/studying.  I've used slow cooker for tons of stuff from black-bean mexican chili casserole (essentially dump and pour from frozen/canned veggies), beef stroganoff (really easy!), to simple soup.

Otherwise, just start slowly working on frying some stuff up (boneless skinless chicken breast, kielbasa/chorizo/whatever, etc) and making a side (potatoes [baked, mashed, etc.], roasting veggies [sprinkle just a touch of olive oil, salt, maybe paprika at 400F for about 15-20 minutes (I love this for asparagus, broccoli, similar veggies)]. 

While it's not necessary to have a subscription, a lot of the time I just use Cooking Light (and their online recipe catalogue) to meal plan for the week. What do I want to have or what's in the my fridge that can be used/needs to be used up? From there, I'll look in the back of the magazine to see what lines up (poultry, vegetarian, etc.) and see what sounds good, the time table, and how many meals I can get out of it? This past month's issue had a whole section about making double portion sizes, one for eating one night and the next day and the rest in the freezer for easy prep to make a few weeks later.
  • @Jovolo Learn to roast meat. Cook a roast on a Sunday, keep the leftover meat for Monday - Wednesday (curry, in a simple tomato sauce on pasta, etc). That's half your week's meals sorted.
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • Boil brown rice. Brown lean beef mince. Add seasonings. Add vegetables to beef.  Mix all together. Perfect. Much healthy. Such easy. Wow.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited March 2014
    Speaking of things that are terrible for you...

Not too long ago, I decided to make cheese and garlic muffins for lunch. It's weird for me to make something that's usually sweet into savoury, but the product was absolutely delicious. Much easier and less messy than the spooned biscuit version, and brushing melted button on these was also a good deal easier.

Who needs Reb Lobster?

Edit: Forgive the crappy picture quality, apparently 3DS isn't great for pictures.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I put bacon in my pancakes... Bacon truly makes everything better.
  • breakfast cupcakes: Maple pancake batter with a maple vanilla icing. I had extra pancake batter from the other day, so I turned it into cupcakes

• @Cesarina I actually tried doing potato chips the other day. I had a lot of trouble getting them to crisp up and cook evenly. The chips themselves burn halfway, and the rest are just a soft mess. Did you follow that recipe exactly, or did you have any crisping problems that you had to account for?
  • Mannimar said:
    @Cesarina I actually tried doing potato chips the other day. I had a lot of trouble getting them to crisp up and cook evenly. The chips themselves burn halfway, and the rest are just a soft mess. Did you follow that recipe exactly, or did you have any crisping problems that you had to account for?
    My oven isn't one of the fancy perfect heat circulatey ones, I tried to do the whole "wait for the edges to fold up heaps" but by then it was starting to look a little like if I took any longer there'd be some burning action on a few. However I tend to like softer crisps anyway. I guess it depends on if your oven is all convectioney or what.
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • @jovolo you are an English student at uni ffs. Beer, coke, marijuana, MDMA, acid, beanz and fucking super noodles.
  • KelloniusKellonius Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    edited March 2014
    Not an original recipe, but one that I love. Its easy to make and very healthy:

Sweet Chili Lime Salmon

Ingredients

5- 6 (5 oz.) salmon fillets
    1/3 C sweet chili sauce
    Juice of 1 lime (about 1-2 tbsp)
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Instructions

1. Pre-heat broiler to high.
    2. Prepare salmon fillets by placing them on a lined baking sheet and seasoning front and back with salt and pepper.
    3. In a small bowl combine chili sauce, lime juice and basil.
    4. Brush sauce mixture over each piece of salmon, making sure all surfaces are covered
    5. Drizzle each piece with a little bit of olive oil.
    6. Place salmon under broiler and cook for 5 minutes and check for doneness. Continue to cook until it’s cooked to your liking, about 2 minutes more for well-done.

If you place the fish too close to the broiler or if you drizzle too much olive oil, your kitchen might get a little smokey so turn on the stove fan!
  • aww. No beer-soaked slow-cooker brisket or Baileys fudge for me this year. 

You're cramping my style, kid. :(  (37 weeks pregnant on St. Patrick's Day!)

• @Anaidiana I was that far along when I had my daughter on St Patrick's day, but she was a c-section :/

To do list for today:
    •  get green food coloring to do green shamrock cookies for son's class on Monday.
    • make Irish soda bread with Guinness (not authentic since it calls for brown sugar to get rid of bitterness
    • make cake for daughter's birthday
    • clean... I hate cleaning.

I'll post pictures of stuff as it finishes.

meh

• You guys, you have a thread about food. How did I not know this already? This is the best news of the entire day. 
  • Quisse said:
    You guys, you have a thread about food. How did I not know this already? This is the best news of the entire day. 
    Nah, best news of the day was breakfast. Food thread maybe second.
    Guinness Irish soda bread. Recipe here. It turned out flakey, but the good kind. Very moist on the inside, delicious while warm with a little butter on it, or even without the butter. I need to make this more often because we have more bottles of extra stout and none of us drink Guinness.
    meh

• Yang said:

Guinness chocolate cupcakes!

Chocolate Jameson Cream Filling!

Bailey's Buttercream Frosting and a touch of green sugar for festivity.
    OMG, a lady at work made these today too for ST Paddys day.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • YES TO ALL THINGS @YANG.
  • today I made chocolate chip cookies with sourdough... With every bite I vacillate between love and hate for these things.

These are perhaps the strangest cookies I have ever eaten. That is not a bad thing... they're good, but I am trying so hard to come to terms with the dough.
  • Just had a large tuna sub with Dave's insane sauce..... holy shit

• We went to make calzones last night, but after the dough was ready realized we were out of sausage. We ended up making breakfast calzones, stuffed with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, cheese, ham, green peppers, cheese, and cheese. It was amazing.

• I spent all winter perfecting the most awesome potato soup ever. Made it one final wintery time last night. Next Christmas the quest to replicate mom's split pea soup begins. 
  • So after five years of no stove.. I finally have one!

Tonight is the world's most unhealthy Alfredo pasta. No pics alas, but here's what you do.

Noodles (duh)

Bacon! cut it into little bits and make it nice and crispy.
        -Drain grease
    Elsewhere, we want butter and heavy whipping cream, pour those suckers together and heat it up.
    Add minced Garlic, onions, and spring onions (spring onions for color)
    Add pepper
    If you want it more salty, add garlic salt.
    add egg
    whip it all up
    add bacon

BAM! I am so fat right now
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
This discussion has been closed.