What's cooking?

Comments

• I got a tiny tin of matcha powder from a trendy tea shop a year ago, to make green tea ice cream. Very expensive. Then just before Christmas I was looking in an asian grocery and found a container twice as big, for about 1/5 the price. Crazy. I have been making matcha lattes. They make me feel sophisticated.
  • JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    I might go home and do that myself.
     yes, sir.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    we need a "drool" button, just for @Blujixapug's cookies
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Update on the chicken: I didn't cut the orange thin enough, so it was bitter at points, but I couldn't find my grater. I know what I'm doing next time!
  • All right, I didn't wanna do this to you guys but you leave me no choice.

The Oreo Ice Cream Pie.

The first photo is what you need. Pretty simple, medium sized bowl, whisk, Oreo pudding mix, 1-3/4 cup whole milk (or fat free), chocolate crust, and some ice cream. My favorite is the vanilla bean, but I imagine chocolate, mint, or even strawberry might work.

The second photo is the amount of ice cream - I use roughly half a pint in the mixture. I feel it gives it the best consistency and keeps the whole pie pretty moist when it has to sit in the fridge.

Mix it for like 2 minutes, or just until the ice cream is fully melted (please do use a whisk or fork, using a spoon makes it flat), then pour into the crust and place in the fridge for 45 minutes to an hour. Voila, delicious pie.

I make this for my husband who obsesses it over it (people in the UK can order ingredients online), and will occasionally make it for work. People love it. Top some whipped cream on it and it's a pretty dashing dessert. If you want to make your own whipped cream, would suggest making it hard rather than soft... from personal experience... yeah... enjoy!
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy

my son's birthday cake. Top layer's red velvet, bottom is strawberry... both box cake. The frosting is strawberry cream cheese frosting that I made. So much sugar.
    meh

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Want.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Mannimar said:
    This:

turned into this:

and it's taaasty.
    Hellll yes. I honestly just use one thing of chocolate frosting, and one of peanut butter, though. Easiest no-bake fudge ever.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited January 2014
    Goat chess ~= dairy free, but that looks taaasty.

Something I see done a lot is people put the cheese down first before sauce. Apparently that prevents soggy pizza, and is the "Italian way".

Am so going to make something like this this weekend. Damn you, Kyrra. Getting me into the kitchen like this 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I wasn't sure how melty the cheese was going to be because I normally only eat it in salad type dishes. I didn't want to risk a soggy base, and I can't put down normal Parmesan to bind the toppings together. I have heard that buffalo cheese mozzarella is pretty fantastic for pizzas but it's a similar consistency to goat's cheese. It's very moist and full of whey. It's also really hard to track down for some reason.

Who knew that cooking could be so exciting? :D
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• @Yang that looks quite tasty!!

Also sort of unrelated, but I really want to get into sushi-rolling. I've tried looking up some beginner's kits online, they aren't particularly expensive but a lot of the comments are, 'You don't need x, y, or z, just the mat and a good knife, you can watch everything else on youtube!'

I die for sushi almost every night and eating raw salmon smeared with avocado just isn't cuttin' it for me. Suggestions? How-tos? Recommendations on food/how to obtain the right stuff? On the cheaper side, preferably.
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy

• Dinner tonight:

Poached salmon with dried fruit and nut cous cous.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Home made affogato. om nom nom

• Skye said:
    Lol, nice!
  • Skye said:
    It's currently 2:20AM for me and I'm not craving a shot of espresso with ice cream/gelato. I'm not sure if I'm in love or being purely filled with hatred :D
  • KyrraKyrra Australia

My first attempt at pancakes because I've never actually made pancakes before!

On my quest to find buffalo cheese mozzarella, I came across this coconut pancake mix that is gluten free, dairy free, wheat free, soy free, and corn free. It's made by a company that designs food to cater for people with most allergens. Figuring out the consistency of the batter kind of sucked and I'm not sure I got it right because how it was cooking in the pan is not how it's supposed to cook according to the instructions. I also had the afterthought that made I should have just dug out my waffle maker and poured the batter into that, because I really love waffles.

They turned out pretty good. I also found my buffalo cheese mozzarella! I intended to have pizzas for dinner tonight so I could try some, since I bought it especially for use on pizzas but alas, no pizza bases in stock when I went food shopping. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:

My first attempt at pancakes because I've never actually made pancakes before!

On my quest to find buffalo cheese mozzarella, I came across this coconut pancake mix that is gluten free, dairy free, wheat free, soy free, and corn free. It's made by a company that designs food to cater for people with most allergens. Figuring out the consistency of the batter kind of sucked and I'm not sure I got it right because how it was cooking in the pan is not how it's supposed to cook according to the instructions. I also had the afterthought that made I should have just dug out my waffle maker and poured the batter into that, because I really love waffles.

They turned out pretty good. I also found my buffalo cheese mozzarella! I intended to have pizzas for dinner tonight so I could try some, since I bought it especially for use on pizzas but alas, no pizza bases in stock when I went food shopping. 
    I was hunting for that buffalo cheese mozzarella a couple of weeks back to make a pasta salad I saw on Everyday Gourmet.  Used bocconcini instead, was still pretty good.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Berenene, the only place I found it here was an imported food shop, and even then, I had to ask if they had any in stock. They kept it in a tub and would make a ball or two for you on request. I assume the cheese stays fresher that way or something. It's either goat cheese or buffalo cheese for me, and either appears to be very melty like normal parmesan/mozzarella. 

• OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    It's really bazaar to me that you can't find buffalo mozzarella in the US, as it is found in local supermarkets here (UK). I even have access to two buffalo farms. Buffalo mozzarella is the same as normal processed mozzarella bar it isn't processed and a much higher quality. When it is made, it is kept usually in slightly salted water to maintain freshness. We buy it in bags of water here, which you drain off. Depending where you are, search your local delicatessens for it.

• I see @Kyrra's pancakes as crepes, but semantics. For waffles, though, you'd need baking powder for it to rise, right? I made waffles last night though.... with Peanut Butter and syrup. I need to make more bagels. >.>
    meh

• Kyrra said:

@Berenene, the only place I found it here was an imported food shop, and even then, I had to ask if they had any in stock. They kept it in a tub and would make a ball or two for you on request. I assume the cheese stays fresher that way or something. It's either goat cheese or buffalo cheese for me, and either appears to be very melty like normal parmesan/mozzarella. 

Yeah, I only really tried at my small woolies. I have a great Mediterranean deli at my local shopping center that would have had it but I didn't have time to try there. Also, love a great Mediterranean deli, all the Italian stuff they sell reminds me of nonna.
This discussion has been closed.