What's cooking?

Comments

• Kyrra said:
    I thought eggnog was amazing to until I woke up the next morning wanting to die.
    How much did you drink? This one has about... actually 10% brandy + rum by volume, which is quite a bit. But I feel like I would be sick from drinking eggy custard before I drank enough to get seriously horkered by the alcohol.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Kyrra said:
    I thought eggnog was amazing to until I woke up the next morning wanting to die.
    How much did you drink? This one has about... actually 10% brandy + rum by volume, which is quite a bit. But I feel like I would be sick from drinking eggy custard before I drank enough to get seriously horkered by the alcohol.
    Severe lactose intolerance killed me before anything else did. To be fair, it was delicious, but my body disagreed with my taste buds.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• @Teghaine re the cob loaf. It is more similar to what @Ourania had posted.

example from internet:

"Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    @Wysteria
    Hmm...
    Definitely not the same, but worth a try, at least
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Suddenly, homesick. :(

Those look delicious, though!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • TrayuTrayu New Zealand
    I should take more pictures of the things I make to show. I feel like just explaining them isn't sufficient.

This week I'm (hopefully) going to be making some Turrón which is just a nougat (egg white, honey and almonds) but it's just so good. Whee for holiday fatness!
  • I want to make macarons but I'm intimidated D:
    meh

• That cornbread-topped casserole looks brilliant. Might have to try an oven-based version of something similar.
  • Trilliana said:
    I want to make macarons but I'm intimidated D:
    They aren't super complicated. I think it's more that they're fiddly, and there are a lot of little techniques you have to get right for a perfect result. Getting the batter to the right consistency, not too thick or runny. Letting them rest to form a skin before baking so they rise properly. Sacrificing a goat to the rain gods so the ambient humidity doesn't mess things up. If you expect your first couple of batches to fail before you perfect them, it will be less distressing when it happens.

Although, I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about. I made some a couple of months ago. The first lot, green tea with coconut buttercream, were fine. The next two lots - passionfruit with chocolate ganache, and chocolate with chocolate ganache - actually turned out worse and worse, they were flat and all cracked on top, and I honestly don't understand why. Stupid macarons.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    It's the only thing that you really have to get down to exact measurements. I think if there's any item that truly demonstrates that there is a 'science' to baking, it's macarons. You have to be like, bloody Walter White to get it done perfect. >_>

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

Even when your macarons come out fucked up visually, though, they'll still be delicious!

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    omg @Kyriella made spritz.

MUST FIND COOKIE PRESS.

yours turned out great!

(how many croggled poinsettias and trees got eaten raw out of frustration during the making? Also, where are your reindeer that look vaguely like labrador retrievers? Those of you experienced in cookie presses know what I'm talking about!!)

• Eggs fresh from my son's teacher's chickens? Meringue cookies, anyone? If only I had red food dye or candy canes... still making pepperminty!
    meh

• LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    edited December 2013
    Just made my favourite leftover turkey concoction. (I did a Christmas test run this week)

To be spread on hot buttered toast, toasted bagels, in sandwiches, wherever you like really.

Leftover turkey, about a cup of shredded/pulled a bit.
    5 tablespoons of cream cheese
    a nice dollop of horseradish (more or less depending on your level of love for this)
    salt and black pepper

Puree, top with cucumber and/or chopped green onions.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • edited December 2013
    Reindeer Games?

I am starting the process of learning how to do cake decorating. This was the first time I have ever used a decorating bag for the frosting (an effin mess, if I may say so). Supplies is limited. For whatever reason, I have black sugar pearls, so I decided to make pooping reindeer and penguin.

It was fun, but next time I am going to get another thing of frosting because I started running out at the end!

I am also getting ready to attempt a fondant cake in the next couple weeks...
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy

• edited December 2013
    Jovie said:

Reindeer Games?

I am starting the process of learning how to do cake decorating. This was the first time I have ever used a decorating bag for the frosting (an effin mess, if I may say so). Supplies is limited. For whatever reason, I have black sugar pearls, so I decided to make pooping reindeer and penguin.

It was fun, but next time I am going to get another thing of frosting because I started running out at the end!

I am also getting ready to attempt a fondant cake in the next couple weeks...

Those look amazing!
    Ahh, I remember working with fondant. It was so much fun.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Yang said:

Okay... so some of this I did not make, but good golly it's so delicious.

Tasty freshly made Baklava from the pastry shop down a few blocks. I don't know how I avoid it so much :<

Fuck yeah Astoria on Monroe. Right, @Yang?

• Habinero spaghetti. For real men.

• Habinero spaghetti. For real men*.

*Just as hot coming out as it is going in!
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Nope. I'm immune to that, unless it's ghost chili.

• Can I come live in your house, @Mannimar?
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy

• Jovie said:

Can I come live in your house, @Mannimar?

I'm going to try making a twice baked chocolate cheesecake for new years... if that doesn't work, I'll go for my grandmother's normal one. If you can get here by then and promise to clean the kitchen for me, sure. :P
  • edited December 2013
    I'm late to the eggnog party, but I made this this year: eggnog fudge. http://candy.about.com/od/christmascandy/r/eggnog_fudge.htm

Very sweet. Very delicious.

Also: brining the turkey, and letting it rest for hours after cooking (wrapped in tinfoil). We let ours rest for about three hours, and that plus the brining (we're not sure which is responsible) made for a moist, juicy turkey.

ETA: the fudge netted me a declaration of love from one coworker and a marriage proposal from another. Slightly awkward, but it's that good.
  • Probably the resting.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    matcha icecream <3 Regular stuff just doesn't do it for me, gotta get a big old tub of vanilla and swirl as much powder as I dare into it so you get veins of green powder. It's like mining deliciousness.

This discussion has been closed.