Mhaldor vs Targossas

Comments

• edited July 2020
    I think it’s less complete OOC and more the fact that it’s OOC and IC.

Like we all worked hard this past month. It’s been long. Mhaldor and Targossas put in work.

But the completely flippant attitude is insulting. Yes it’s a gag haha, but... That’s just straight up gagging the hard work we put in. The lightly annoying shouts (from both sides TBH shouts are always dumb) about how we can’t get past the gates or how Aegoth is fat or how we’re just still weak despite working and proving the contrary is just like.... “Damn, we did all this for 4 weeks, and only the people we fought alongside even acknowledge it”. 

I’ve been doing light RP in tells with Niraaeth and it seems like the general mindset from Targ IC is, “We didn’t lose, we saw Growth, and have truly won”. Like ok. 

Personally, I don’t want you guys to feel miserable OOC. Not at all. I just don’t see why you guys can’t just, “we lost this time... but we’ll be back for you, you and your little Ruffian, too!” I literally have not seen anyone from Targ acknowledge it as a loss IC yet and it just feels pointless in terms of cross-faction RP. 

But it’s whatever at this point. The war was ok. Some fun parts, some bad parts, overall. It was interesting and needs to be fixed
  • Tesha said:
    This thread gives me the feeling that Mhaldor's players want Targossas' players to OOCly feel humiliated about losing.
    I have a feeling this is due to some members of Targossas being dickwads before the war even started and bragging about how easy it was going to be. It feels good to win after that.

There will always be bad apples on both sides, and it is best to ignore those people even though they (we?) tend to be most vocal.

• To be fair to Atalkez and Aegoth in this argument - what's the point in doing a war if the other side is just going to do stuff to act like they never lost, when they got obliterated? It's not about embarrassing people OOC, it's about people accepting in character repercussions for something they themselves started.

It smells of a child smacking another kid then screaming to mom when they get hit back.
  • If I have to be an ass to point out how you're throwing the work of so many people away because "I don't like the color" or "It's annoying", then so be it. I just think it's insulting to everyone involved on both sides of the fight. No, I don't want anyone to wallow in losing. I don't want anyone to feel like they wasted their time, either. If you can just nope out of the very few negatives from the thing - what was the point at all? There are better ways to handle it than just gag it, that's my opinion. Astarod is well within his right to do it, and I'm well within my right to tell him I think it's bullshit that he does (Archaeon too).

As far as constructive thoughts on the war, I think Crixos summed up the majority of my thoughts just fine. The only thing I would add is that we need to finally audit Guards. They're too strong, hiring during a sanction is stupid, hire shouldn't be 1/3 of the time of station, and there should be a hard CD on hiring spam or something. When 20 artied people can't even move two rooms because of how guards work, I think that's a clear indication that they're skewed too heavily in the favor of the defense. I don't think they need to be nerfed necessarily, but the mechanics around hiring/station/retiring need to be looked at. Can we also go back to the hard cap of 10 guards per room? 15 constables responding to cfh spam is impossible.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited July 2020
    I definitely am getting the sense catching up on the past 3 pages that some players seem to want Targossian players to be OOCly wallowing in defeat and to make them... care more? about losing?

It's a bit weird to see people want their OOC opponents to feel dominated OOCly.
  • I just wish guards being involved didn't mean a non-dragon was ultimately useless. That said, Mhaldor did a great job of giving me things to do to feel involved in other ways.
  • The banners are pretty cool. Placement could be better but I like the fact that they're super brightly coloured to stand out.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    I'm gonna replace my gags with "atalkez sucks lol"
  • - Delete guards! Or like, make them stronger depending on how many enemies vs citizens/allies are in the city. To like, make up the difference, or something.

- Also I don't think we should discredit the font tank ping. Like ok from our point of view, the lvl2 sneaky tank was cool. But if it happened to me, I'd be miffed as all fuck, so imo font tank ping should be a thing 100%

- Give us banners too plz ty
  • Archaeon said:
    I'm gonna replace my gags with "atalkez sucks lol"
    replacing 1 true thing with another true thing, i like
    Rally Point.
    Blanketing the northeastern bank of Blackstone Isle, this spacious section of land acts as a rally
    point for the military force of Targossas. The ground is completely flat, cleared of rocks and other 
    debris. Several inches of mixed sand and soil are strewn liberally across the entirety of the area, 
    carefully raked into perfectly straight lines. From the top of a small wood structure in the very 
    centre of the yard hangs a heavy, silver bell, its sombre knell audible over most of the surrounding 
    isles. Some graffiti has been scrawled here. It reads, "Targossas rules!" A rune resembling a horse 
    has been sketched into the ground here. A rune like an open eye has been sketched into the ground 
    here. A round decorative cushion rests here. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. A 
    logosmas stocking has been hung here, awaiting gifts. A logosmas golden stocking has been left here. 
    Miniature hands clasped patiently, a diminutive homunculus stands here, its features bearing an 
    uncanny resemblance to Ellyna. A large wooden board displays the various bounties the city has 
    placed. Placed in preparatory memoriam, implacable chiselwork marks this gravestone "GARIS". An 
    heraldic pennon flies here, bearing the city arms of Targossas. Placed in preparatory memoriam, 
    implacable chiselwork marks this gravestone "ELYON". There are 4 aklan servitors here. Small gouts 
    of fire blossom from the nostrils of this small humgii, as he snorts in abject disgruntlement. An 
    ornate scroll with silvern corners lies neatly furled. Placed in preparatory memoriam, implacable 
    chiselwork marks this gravestone "ISSAM". Brushing imaginary specks off his pristine uniform, 
    Dawlish struts proudly about. An emerald mist drifts underfoot, swirling with each passing eddy. An 
    obsidian eye sigil is here. There are 3 Brighthold watchmen here. There are 2 Brighthold watchmen 
    here. Atalkez sucks lol The shining figure of a guardian angel floats in the air here. A large 
    barracks is here providing the city's forces with rest and refuge. Magelord Veldrin Crescent 
    Concordia is here.
    You see exits leading south, southwest, and west.
  • I don't like the gaslighting. It's weird to me to say 'you didn't win because you didn't get past stationaries plus constables plus bombs plus breathrain' when the team saying it didn't get a tank at all in seven hours. And it's been pretty constant, there's always some snipe about how we didn't 'win right,' from denying the extension to guard use (?) to now apparently being beaten not mattering. 

A lot of Targossian players at the start waxed high and mighty about accepting consequences IC, and I've not seen a single Targossian IC even accept defeat. By every observable IC metric, defeat was clear as can be, the only barometer that seems to be bandied about is 'this war wasn't as awful as the ones before it so I, as a player, don't feel beaten.' If you can't see why some of us take issue with that, I guess we're just on opposite sides of this topic.

@Sartan put us in some tough spots, but I'm actually happy he did, in the end. He kept it pretty grounded with IC consequences and rationales, even if it put us in a pickle sometimes. Big props to the big guy.

In the end, I really don't think anyone in Mhaldor wants to make anyone else feel despondent or humiliated. But when a war is done and the side that loses is pretending it was a tie (or a win, for some characters), it basically leaves the other team in a spot where the only assumption is that said team is full of lunatics, and that's not an avenue we can make much out of, I feel. 

@Atalkez hit it on the head, though. Anyone can say/act/think anything they want about the conflict and its outcome. We're entitled to express our reaction, though.
  • The IC sentiment is not at all "oh actually we won". In fact, there's some serious flagellation going on IC right now.
  • Archaeon said:
    Rally Point.
    Blanketing the northeastern bank of Blackstone Isle, this spacious section of land acts as a rally
    point for the military force of Targossas. The ground is completely flat, cleared of rocks and other 
    debris. Several inches of mixed sand and soil are strewn liberally across the entirety of the area, 
    carefully raked into perfectly straight lines. From the top of a small wood structure in the very 
    centre of the yard hangs a heavy, silver bell, its sombre knell audible over most of the surrounding 
    isles. Some graffiti has been scrawled here. It reads, "Targossas rules!" A rune resembling a horse 
    has been sketched into the ground here. A rune like an open eye has been sketched into the ground 
    here. A round decorative cushion rests here. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. A 
    logosmas stocking has been hung here, awaiting gifts. A logosmas golden stocking has been left here. 
    Miniature hands clasped patiently, a diminutive homunculus stands here, its features bearing an 
    uncanny resemblance to Ellyna. A large wooden board displays the various bounties the city has 
    placed. Placed in preparatory memoriam, implacable chiselwork marks this gravestone "GARIS". An 
    heraldic pennon flies here, bearing the city arms of Targossas. Placed in preparatory memoriam, 
    implacable chiselwork marks this gravestone "ELYON". There are 4 aklan servitors here. Small gouts 
    of fire blossom from the nostrils of this small humgii, as he snorts in abject disgruntlement. An 
    ornate scroll with silvern corners lies neatly furled. Placed in preparatory memoriam, implacable 
    chiselwork marks this gravestone "ISSAM". Brushing imaginary specks off his pristine uniform, 
    Dawlish struts proudly about. An emerald mist drifts underfoot, swirling with each passing eddy. An 
    obsidian eye sigil is here. There are 3 Brighthold watchmen here. There are 2 Brighthold watchmen 
    here. Atalkez sucks lol The shining figure of a guardian angel floats in the air here. A large 
    barracks is here providing the city's forces with rest and refuge. Magelord Veldrin Crescent 
    Concordia is here.
    You see exits leading south, southwest, and west.
    I don’t mind it. Remind u who ur true mentor is

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    u mean seragorn?
  • @Niraaeth You were a very fun opponent! I enjoyed doing the mind battling thing with you, and I can safely say you absolutely improved tons over the last three weeks. Targ's very lucky to have you! 
  • Guard Hiring time should be the exact same as Guard Stationing time now.  Since they both have the same penalties (like. Literally the same.)

Also this thread is good. Keep it up.
  • edited July 2020
    I do TOUCH PENIS for amnesia clearing because the return is hilarious to me. “You have no penis.” That’s been a trigger since... 2010? 

Won’t defend the other comments. I was commenting on the thought process behind sapiencing me as a non leader. 

Felt the need to clarify the touching thing though because that’s just childish humor. I do apologize, though. 

• edited July 2020
    Reyson said:
    I don't like the gaslighting. It's weird to me to say 'you didn't win because you didn't get past stationaries plus constables plus bombs plus breathrain' when the team saying it didn't get a tank at all in seven hours. And it's been pretty constant, there's always some snipe about how we didn't 'win right,' from denying the extension to guard use (?) to now apparently being beaten not mattering. 

A lot of Targossian players at the start waxed high and mighty about accepting consequences IC, and I've not seen a single Targossian IC even accept defeat. By every observable IC metric, defeat was clear as can be, the only barometer that seems to be bandied about is 'this war wasn't as awful as the ones before it so I, as a player, don't feel beaten.' If you can't see why some of us take issue with that, I guess we're just on opposite sides of this topic.

@Sartan put us in some tough spots, but I'm actually happy he did, in the end. He kept it pretty grounded with IC consequences and rationales, even if it put us in a pickle sometimes. Big props to the big guy.

In the end, I really don't think anyone in Mhaldor wants to make anyone else feel despondent or humiliated. But when a war is done and the side that loses is pretending it was a tie (or a win, for some characters), it basically leaves the other team in a spot where the only assumption is that said team is full of lunatics, and that's not an avenue we can make much out of, I feel. 

@Atalkez hit it on the head, though. Anyone can say/act/think anything they want about the conflict and its outcome. We're entitled to express our reaction, though.
    Why are you giving so much OOC power to Astarod or anyone else that says you didn't "win right"? Why put any weight into what they say? It's part of human nature to explain things in a way that's comforting and consistent with your perspective, just like risk aversion is part of human nature.

Throwing the term gaslighting around is an example of how seriously you seem to take this and how much you seem to value Astarod's opinion of your character's victory. In my experience, gaslighting is a term used most commonly for extremely abusive relationships, most often emotional abuse. Accusing us OOCly of gaslighting is so wildly unexpected that I don't even know how to, or if I even should, respond to it. Maybe you're using it in a way in line with what you understand it to be and that's different from what I view it to be, but the notion that you think we are even in a position to gaslight you is just ... what? Gaslighting in my perspective is a very serious accusation, so to see you accuse people on the forums of it was very surprising to me. It's not a casual word to me.

If people don't respond to what you're doing IC in the way that you want them to, that's okay. Whether that's making light of a post by hammering on a character's history, minimizing the loss by pointing out tactics, or simply not engaging with it, that's their call. React to that ICly. If people don't view game mechanics of a war system in a text game as meaningful, that's okay too. You said this leaves the other team in a spot where the only assumption is that (the other) team is full of lunatics. I'm going to hope that you mean IC, and say that's no different from anything else. Of course Targossas is full of lunatics. Mhaldor is, too. Achaea is a game where literal genocide is commonplace. What are you looking for, here, on the OOC forums?

What are you hoping to gain from all of this OOC posturing?

i'm a rebel

• An alternative would be to eliminate the constable kind of soldier and reduce the total number of guards a City can have, but instead allow MoS + Aides (maybe council members?) to call five constables on a universal cooldown, so that you can have support for a rush. That way, raiding isn't centered around pulling constables and re-arranging them. Not having to station also has the happy benefit of cutting down on having to station mid-battle, which is just five minutes of nothing fun for anyone. 
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    Dunn said:
    I do TOUCH PENIS for amnesia clearing because the return is hilarious to me. “You have no penis.” That’s been a trigger since... 2010? 

Won’t defend the other comments. I was commenting on the thought process behind sapiencing me as a non leader. 

Felt the need to clarify the touching thing though because that’s just childish humor. 
    I had some of the newer citizens touch hope, courage, brain, balls, heart, life and so on which made them bring yours up

Dunn said:

Felt the need to clarify the touching thing though because that’s just childish humor. I do apologize, though. 
    touch penis master race
  • edited July 2020
    I haven’t noticed a refusal to accept consequences in game myself yet, and that was never my point in my posts. You’re right, I can’t expect anyone to lose the way that I think they should or that I would. I just find the whole gag thing to be bad form. It’s fine if people disagree with me.

• edited July 2020
    edit: actually maybe spoilers