Shop of Wonders ideas.

Comments

• I don't understand. Can't you just sip mana or health? Or moss?
  • Would be something of a waste, I suppose.

• It would take a lot of sipping/moss to add up to 3 crowns, or even 1.
  • It's more about the timing and refreshing both health/mana simultaneously without having to use moss.  If you really want to make it more worthwhile, it could just be a 1% health/1% mana version of moss, on the same balance and all.
  • So sort of like waterwalking, but still requires you to use the SWIM command? I'm not sure I can see the appeal, but perhaps I'm missing something.
  • EldEld
    edited April 2013
    Would make it easier to take advantage of water rooms for things like stopping beckon, putting out fires, grook health regen...
  • Nerfs beckon in water rooms while removing the movement delay you would suffer with otherwise.
  • I considered that, just didn't think there was any gain from this that you couldn't get from coding toggleable wear boots/move/remove boots. You'd still have to deal with figuring out whether you needed to SWIM or not which (personally) seems like more of a hassle.
  • Really, it wouldn't have much of an effect on beckon in water rooms, since right now you just do "wear shoes;south" or whatever to move.  The difference is it would drop it to one command instead of two, fairly insignificant.  For people with multiple pairs of shoes that do not want water walking on all of them, it would be pretty useful.  It also comes with the bonus of having the swimming flavour text while moving instead of just the regular movement text.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I want to be Achaea's Michael Phelps.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Amulet of Phelps

Allows you to QUICKSWIM in any direction in water, while otherwise functioning identically to GALLOP and SPRINT.
  • Instant swimming would still be worse than waterwalking in many ways (no dash, no evade, etc.).

It would be nice for character customisation/RP purposes and stuff, though, just because it'd allow you to play someone who prefers swimming to waterwalking, or likes to go barefoot, or like Penwize says has many different pairs of shoes, or wants to RP Phelps, or whatever.
  • Hmmm... how about a pack that either has the full function of a Bag of Stasis, or which considerably slows down the decay time of the items in it?

All the good packs have traditionally been sold in the Shop of Wonders, so this placement doesn't seem unreasonable.

Optionally: have a lid like the Dragonskin pack does. BUT do not make the capacity 200 or 150; make the capacity either 50 or 75, 100 at the highest. If its function is fully like the bag of stasis, probably 50 or 75 would be reasonable, not 100. It would make more popular that minor trait that allows you to wear 2 packs at once.
  • edited April 2013
    ...and another: the Welcome Door Mat! To put at the entrance of your subs or out of subs home, with the ability to customize what the rug looks like or says on it, and have a voice come out of nowhere and say something the owning adventurer chooses. It should be said with an accent or voice, with the same choices a player would have, so the player can make the welcome sound like him or herself, or like something/someone else.

Maybe even make a few messages the adventurer can command it to say -- to a friend or city mate or ally, and something to a personal or organizational enemy, etc.

Optionally this could be sold as a Housing upgrade, but in my opinion it has a Shop of Wonders feel to it. Kinda like that pillow that augments beds.
  • Silvarien said:
    Hmmm... how about a pack that either has the full function of a Bag of Stasis, or which considerably slows down the decay time of the items in it?

All the good packs have traditionally been sold in the Shop of Wonders, so this placement doesn't seem unreasonable.

Optionally: have a lid like the Dragonskin pack does. BUT do not make the capacity 200 or 150; make the capacity either 50 or 75, 100 at the highest. If its function is fully like the bag of stasis, probably 50 or 75 would be reasonable, not 100. It would make more popular that minor trait that allows you to wear 2 packs at once.
    Nondecay bag of stasis with 10x (or more) capacity is probably pretty well outside the range of reasonable for something regularly available. Pretty sure similar ideas have been denied before.
  • Silvarien said:
    ...and another: the Welcome Door Mat! To put at the entrance of your subs or out of subs home, with the ability to customize what the rug looks like or says on it, and have a voice come out of nowhere and say something the owning adventurer chooses. It should be said with an accent or voice, with the same choices a player would have, so the player can make the welcome sound like him or herself, or like something/someone else.

Maybe even make a few messages the adventurer can command it to say -- to a friend or city mate or ally, and something to a personal or organizational enemy, etc.

Optionally this could be sold as a Housing upgrade, but in my opinion it has a Shop of Wonders feel to it. Kinda like that pillow that augments beds.
    ^A Welcome Doormat says (.*)$

deleteFull()

Seriously, I think it would be fun for like the first 5 activations, irritating for the next 20, and then homicide-inducingly off-pissing thereafter.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited April 2013
    Sylvance said:

deleteFull()

Seriously, I think it would be fun for like the first 5 activations, irritating for the next 20, and then homicide-inducingly off-pissing thereafter.
    What am I doing wrong that I don't get invited to houses even once, let alone 20 times?

On topic:
    Some form of token that lets you choose your blade name (from the specific first/second word list, or even from a small sample of those) would be nice, but probably unnecessary.

Edited for clarity.
  • Now thinking of an item that would allow one to track to a corpse, portal-like... not if someone is in the room with them, though and not if the corpse is being held. It would help in running for people, but not to the extent that it could replace portals or actual tracking.
  • Silvarien said:
    Now thinking of an item that would allow one to track to a corpse, portal-like... not if someone is in the room with them, though and not if the corpse is being held. It would help in running for people, but not to the extent that it could replace portals or actual tracking.
    There's already an item that let's you locate a corpse (provided it's not being held). Seems like the travel portion should be restricted to those who have the relevant abilities, anyway. I wouldn't want this without also having the ability to see where the corpse is (to check where I'm going to track/portal to) and even then, I doubt the added value would be worth it. Not that I especially object to the idea, but not something I'd be very likely to go for myself.

• Eld said:
    Silvarien said:
    Now thinking of an item that would allow one to track to a corpse, portal-like... not if someone is in the room with them, though and not if the corpse is being held. It would help in running for people, but not to the extent that it could replace portals or actual tracking.
    There's already an item that let's you locate a corpse (provided it's not being held). Seems like the travel portion should be restricted to those who have the relevant abilities, anyway. I wouldn't want this without also having the ability to see where the corpse is (to check where I'm going to track/portal to) and even then, I doubt the added value would be worth it. Not that I especially object to the idea, but not something I'd be very likely to go for myself.
    I have that skull, I just wish I could go to the corpse as easily!
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Silvarien said:

Eld said:
    Silvarien said:
    I have that skull, I just wish I could go to the corpse as easily!
    Wings/Armband of Celerity?

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Ptv.
  • edited April 2013
    Paelhan said:
    Sylvance said:

deleteFull()

What am I doing wrong that I don't get invited to houses even once, let alone 20 times?

On topic:
    Some form of token that lets you choose your blade name (from the specific first/second word list, or even from a small sample of those) would be nice, but probably unnecessary.

Edited for clarity.

@Paelhan

You can solve your first problem by joining the Muds3x Clan. Then you'll get invited to houses all the time.

As to the second, I made a thread dedicated to precisely this. The answer was 'No', but names will be (are?) more faction-specific than they used to be.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited April 2013
    This one will need a bit of discussion, and I am not sure it's viable. It may be OP.

Ruby-encrusted whistle. The rubies are detachable, and can magically attach to any artefact you want. Depending on what will be decided, you purchase the rubies separately, or the whistle comes with a number of them, and you remove the ruby from the whistle and attach it to the target artefact. I will refer to the rubies as "tokens."

Basically, a token-driven whistle that recalls artefacts. It can only recall artefacts that have one of your tokens attached to them. If the Garden thinks it's not OP, it may be allowed to attach tokens to Collars of Lupus, dragging the mount to you along with the artefact itself. Maybe Pets too. This would be a form of reissuing the Platinum Whistle for a while, although only collared loyals would be affected.

You could put the token on an artefact that already has resetting, making the reset instantaneous at your leisure. I remember @Trey commenting that if one is Forced to drop an artie weapon, the owner could potentially lose it for WAY too long. This is a big problem during a raid, on either side. Other uses would be drinking horns and other such items, which contain stuff one might want people to have, but which one might want returned a little faster than usual.

One of the key questions here is, should these tokens be a one-shot thing, effectively granting the branded artefact resetting; or should the tokens be detachable, so you may forego your resetting on one item to grant resetting to another. Detachable tokens would mean buying a "pool" of tokens for the long-haul. One time would probably mean buying even more tokens because of future stuff one doesn't yet have, with the understanding that as a Shop of Wonders item, the tokens will not always be available to buy. A third option is to simply make a whistle come with a number of tokens with it -- 5 for example. If one wants to affect more than 5 items, (s)he will need to get another whistle.

There may well be stuff I am not thinking of right now that makes this dreadfully OP.
  • Silvarien said:
    Stuff
    Badge of Returning: 5 Mayan crowns
       - Attaching this to any collared companion or artefact pet will reduce
         the reset time by 50%. (The item is destroyed upon use.)

If you're suggesting that this be used on artefacts as well, it would likely be prohibitively expensive.

I also have no idea why you said silver tokens. They were nothing like this.

It seems like you're trying to say that it will make non-artefacts reset... No. Spend 100cr to non-decay/resetting it.
  • Rispok said:
    Silvarien said:
    Stuff
    Badge of Returning: 5 Mayan crowns
       - Attaching this to any collared companion or artefact pet will reduce
         the reset time by 50%. (The item is destroyed upon use.)

If you're suggesting that this be used on artefacts as well, it would likely be prohibitively expensive.

I also have no idea why you said silver tokens. They were nothing like this.

It seems like you're trying to say that it will make non-artefacts reset... No. Spend 100cr to non-decay/resetting it.
    This would be instant return, though, not delayed.
  • So a 35mc item that Peak and Kez (who could afford it) won't buy. Deal.
  • Asmodron said:

Delivery Pigeon: With this helpful bird, you may send letters from wherever you are, no longer requiring those pesky postal stations.

Dew Drop: This magical drop of water may be used to enhance the plant growth in a room, much like a druid enacting the Fertility Rite. Consumed on use, will reset.

Painters Kit: With this Kit you may paint the portrait of whomever you wish in the room, so long as they remain standing still for a time. Once done you would have a lovely portrait of the individual that you could HANG within a home if you choose.
    The delivery pigeon is my favourite. I would Kill for something like that. Not crazy about a pigeon, though. Maybe there could be a few different types of birds offered, or something you could buy to make any pet you have into a delivery-animal. I already have a budgie, if I could just slip a collar on it or something to make him deliver letters, that would be awesome. Or even my pegasus, heh. An alabaster pegasus swoops into the room and lands before <person>, bowing gracefully before depositing a letter into your hands. Or something like that. 

Also, the dew drop is a neat idea, especially if I could use it and fertility at the same time and double the effect.

The painters kit is neat too, but I'd like it more if it could be used to paint and area or room, not just a person.