Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• To be fair you can probably still just get one of the promo mounts for next to nothing. Still gotta learn riding though
  • If you turtle the 30s for a boosted preempt to wear off, you get ~10s of preempt free time to bail. Any method of moving multiple rooms works as well... BM bounding, for instance.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    @Antonius dash/sprint/gallop procs all movement balances regardless of how many rooms you move.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Aerek said:
    Yes, if you are one of the 3 classes that can Dash/Runaway, or pay 550cr for Riding+Collar+Mount
    While it doesn't change the price much, Anklet of Dashing is 500cr, no need for riding/gallop.
    You can get a collared and badged mount for 50 credits, tops, out of crates.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited December 2016
    Does using the Sawbones trait take EQ/limb balance? Also, does it give information about every single limb or do you have to probe each one specifically?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • It uses balance or equilibrium, can't remember exactly which (I think it's eq). Shows all limbs but it's not super precise.
  • It's most useful to check to see if there is any damage at all on a limb. I think with monks it might be accurate enough to tell if a kick will break a limb too.

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Its eq and it shows all limbs in four stages undamged, damaged, heavily damaged and one hit from breaking. Think it might actually show current breaks too but no idea why youd blow eq on a break to see.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
    (I can send you lines i have when i get home if you want specifics)

• Dunn said:
    If you turtle the 30s for a boosted preempt to wear off, you get ~10s of preempt free time to bail. Any method of moving multiple rooms works as well... BM bounding, for instance.

This. The counter to preempt if you don't have shackle/dash is survive for 30 seconds, then leave. I don't think it's unreasonable. Makes things more interesting when thoughtless running isn't a perfect solution.

That being said, preempt ignoring elevation differences sounds like a bug. I know if you catch up to the person, it keeps going, so if you fly and they fly, they'll still follow. But if you land then move and they're in the air, preempt should not be following you while you're at different elevations, I assume.

I was surprised to find preempt followed through walls too, and wouldn't mind that changing.

For the most part, I think it's fine though.
  • That's not the only method of defensive play. 

• ct deliver
  • pt come
  • Farrah said:
    pt come
    My personal favorite, except that @Tesha leaves me to die more often than not D:

• You guys are way overcomplicating this. Dragon already has access to the three tools to break out of preempt without far travel. Leg break and breathgust, walk away. Timed dragoncurse and enmesh, rend breathgust for ropes, and walk away. Or just dragoncurse/rend x2 and again, walk away.
    edited December 2016
    Rip serpent. The fact that preempt follows evade is stupid. Also, does preempt not fire while prone? I thought it did.

ETA: It's not actually stupid. I'm just salty.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I quit calling for help on PT because @Atalkez left me to die so often I got a custom emote made.
  • edited December 2016
    Pt come doesn't work for me should I issue this?
  • edited December 2016
    Everyone forgetting about pierce the veil too. Gotta time the curare pretty well and we all know people that play DW are all really really bad. 

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Mindshell said:
    You guys are way overcomplicating this. Dragon already has access to the three tools to break out of preempt without far travel. Leg break and breathgust, walk away. Timed dragoncurse and enmesh, rend breathgust for ropes, and walk away. Or just dragoncurse/rend x2 and again, walk away.
    PTV works, but I kinda consider that a de facto forfeit of the duel, since they have no recourse to follow; like someone fleeing to Clouds when I don't have Wings.

As for the others, that's all technically true, but it takes time and prep. If I blow a leg to escape, I'm ruining my own Bite prep, and they can replace their lost momentum faster than I can replace that leg prep. For Enmesh>Rend/Gust or Rend/Curse x2, that takes 4s to enact, and DWs can kill you in about 20 seconds, so if you're in a position where you -need- to run, you probably aren't in a good position to wait 4s to do it, and timing it right is not a given with their considerable hinder. Can't view things in a vacuum, context matters.

Mostly I agree with @Farrah. If Preempt was stopped by walls, I could live with that. It could even automatically Leap/Mountjump for you, if you had those abilities, as long as it incurred the .9s balance loss and didn't just ignore walls as though they weren't there.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited December 2016
    Aerek said:

If I blow a leg to escape, I'm ruining my own Bite prep, and they can replace their lost momentum faster than I can replace that leg prep. 
    This, yes.

When a prep class has to sacrifice their prep to survive against a momentum class, they are sacrificing all the advantages of being a prep class.

EDIT: Yeah, there were other ways suggested of getting out of it that didn't involve wasting your limb prep, I'm just saying that I don't consider sacrificing your limb prep to be valid as an actual combat tactic.
  • I like the fact that running isn't the right answer all the time. Coming from serpent to dw that's what stuck out to me the most. No more cheesy let me slow prep you. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • Dunn said:
    Everyone forgetting about pierce the veil too. Gotta time the curare pretty well and we all know people that play DW are all really really bad. 
    Hey man I'm trying
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
    So, unartied dragon vs unartied dw vs unartied serpent (and I mean zeeeeeero combat arties). Which is the most viable for 1 on 1 pvp? Which is going to be easiest for someone who knows the mechanics and how shit works but has very little actual pvp experience? Leaning away from serpent because of complexity (plus the fact that I'll have to drop a shitton more lessons to actually be useful at all). Which kill strat should I be going for on class of choice?
    Huh. Neat.
  • In terms of kill strat, dragon is very simple and easy to follow. You can add in a little bit of flair with dragon curse, but the basic strategy is prep limbs via rend (rend does 25% limb damage no matter health), then gust for prone and bite to death. The execution is more complex and someone who fights as a dragon could give you details, but that's the basics. 

I can't speak about dw since I haven't played with it at all, but it is momentum like other aff classes, versus the prep of Dragon, so depends on which kind of kill style you'd be aiming to get into. 
    Isras pretty much got it. Dragon if you want aby sort of prep but otherwise DW is the better choice. Dragons simplicity damage and tankiness are offset pretty heavily by hiw easy it is to avoid getting killed by. DW has a lot of good stuff going for it and is harder to avoid kills plus multiple kill paths but if someone wants to run theyre gonna run and unless they have no access to trees or flying youre gonna be real annoyed.

• It's so easy to avoid being killed by dragon and it's amazing how few people actually do the things necessary. I've devoured @Farrah for example, @Krizal's devoured @Dalran, @Aegoth -- I like fighting in dragon just by the virtue of it having a prep route and being absurdly resilient to a lot of kill routes played right.
  • dragon devour is certainly viable, and always unexpected
  • Ahmet said:
    So, unartied dragon vs unartied dw vs unartied serpent (and I mean zeeeeeero combat arties). Which is the most viable for 1 on 1 pvp? Which is going to be easiest for someone who knows the mechanics and how shit works but has very little actual pvp experience? Leaning away from serpent because of complexity (plus the fact that I'll have to drop a shitton more lessons to actually be useful at all). Which kill strat should I be going for on class of choice?
    Obviously you can do dragon and something else. Assuming you take nimble as a trait I think dw is your best bet. You can spec for dex and do some crazy things as dw. Locking and dictation strats don't really gain that much from Artie's. You could argue more passive damage to pressure health while eating mana. But not at all needed. As much as people are intimidated by dw your gonna struggle against other affliction classes that are even a little faster than you. Obvious gonna be at a disadvantage against prep classes as a momentum. But you have so many tools to get the job done. My favorite aspect of the class is how you can chase two kill paths at the same time. 
    Cooper said: