Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• How to deal with blackout spam monk? I'm just shielding, spamming diag, and waiting.
    And manually concentrate 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Dunn said:
    Pretty much it. Or leave area to break lock and return. Depends on if you're limb prepping or momentum, though. Depending on the skill of the monk, I tend to play chicken with blackout. 
    Would you change your chicken-flavored tendencies if you were a limb prepping class? Is it reliable to try to keep count in head?
  • edited October 2016
    Whether or not it's reliable to keep count in your head depends on your own personal ability and your class. I can and do count blademaster in my head. I can't count SnB in my head. I could probably do dragon and sylvan, but monk might be a little problem. 
  • How should you cure against a Magi?  I'm assuming you'll need to swap prios around depending on the route they go, but I can't really wrap my head around it.  I don't know enough about them yet.
  • If the magi is going pummel route: cure legs above hypothermia/frozen, save tree tattoo for any freezes after the leg break(s). When you stand, fly or hinder the magi as best you can while hypothermia cures. If they break torso, just get out of the room/hinder.

For destroy: prio ablaze (lv 1 burn) above everything and you will never get destroyed. The downside is that it's possible to stay prone the whole time, but magi can't really capitalise on that alone. Tumbling away past walls/piety/ghands/etc until you're cured also works very well. Also , if you see  magi drop ret, just leave unless you can get the first hit on them which should be some sort of prone+paralyse or whathaveyou.

there's more, but those are the very basics to fight again magi.

Now to go kill myself for betraying my own class
  • edited October 2016
    In general, you need to prioritize burning and caloric higher than mending breaks because otherwise it becomes relatively trivial for them to set you for their kills. This produces a huge problem if you can't attack with one broken arm, though.

You also need to consider that it's pretty easy for a magi to stack up salve affs, because of timeflux (+50% salve balance times) and their attacks (usually two salve affs per), but it's not quite as easy to prone (only one salve aff when they prone, unless plague gets you). Usually this means 'curing arms when standing, cure legs when prone'. If you always prio arms you'll never stand up, if you always prio legs, you'll never attack. 

In general, curing scalded at all is a bad idea unless you know the magi isn't going to be able to capitalize on the window they get to transfix (scalded is cured AFTER blindness on epidermal to head, which means you need to apply epidermal twice to cure scalded and there's a 1.5s window where they can transfix you). You'll give them free parry bypass, but that's better than giving them free parry bypass AND having your momentum grind to a halt from transfix. You're a druid, so you might, for example, have a priority swap to raise scalded whenever you see them shield/reflect or when you do bind + maul/staff hit and swap it back down after 2-3s.

Magi set ups are fundamentally about abusing your long restoration window (unless you're squishy/they have high int + collar, in which case they can just straight damage you out but that's another story). A common set up, for example, is to prone + break your leg, then do things that stack up non-resto salve affs that lead to their kill condition. For example, prone + break, then deepfreeze (two levels of cold), waterstaff (cold) + hypothermia, then pummel x2-3, or pre-dehydrate, prone + break, then scorch x 3, destroy. This makes it a zero-momentum execution, but it also means that it's vulnerable to fake/no apply/tree/passive/active that something like DSB wouldn't be. You can do things like: use might on prone break to get rid of lingering mending breaks, while saving tree to use on shivering or ablaze, tumble over icewalls, fake apply to legs and tumble when prone + break, and only apply restoration after they've used their follow-up under the assumption that you already did it. Some classes are better at implementing certain strats than others. Runies and Sentinels for example can get away with no-apply a lot better because when they tumble, they can almost guarantee no chase, while people with actives can use the tree stuff to their advantage a lot better.

• edited October 2016
    Jadys said:
    that is the autocome.

I don't think anyone scripts mudsex yet dude. Can we get something going for this, though? I need to maximize my thrusts per second and chase that emote balance.
  • Adeleine said:
    I don't think anyone scripts mudsex yet dude.
    It has been done before.
  • edited October 2016
    Sena said:
    Adeleine said:
    It has been done before.
    No dude, I mean full-on automation. Automatic position changing, curing systems for STDs, inline condom application, the whole nine yards.

I'm going to be SO RICH.
  • Adeleine said:
    Sena said:
    Adeleine said:
    It has been done before.
    No dude, I mean full-on automation. Automatic position changing, curing systems for STDs, inline condom application, the whole nine yards.

I'm going to be SO RICH.
    Who uses condoms? Raw-dog for days.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    How should you cure against a Magi?  I'm assuming you'll need to swap prios around depending on the route they go, but I can't really wrap my head around it.  I don't know enough about them yet.
    Keep your health above 1.

How you go about that? I've not a clue.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Bann said:
    Adeleine said:
    Sena said:
    Adeleine said:
    It has been done before.

I'm going to be SO RICH.
    Who uses condoms? Raw-dog for days.
    I mean, why make the investment into curing systems for STDs if you're just going to kill your own business w condoms.

• eww.... so... um... *goes back to that and stares*

right. so. I've been told that as a magi I should intelligence focus... but multiple people have stated that I should focus on con until I'm well into my 90's in level. 

To me it seems counter productive for a magi to focus on con... so what are the pros... and cons?
  • Con for bashing is fine. Int scales all of your damage spells so that's great for PVP. 

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Dunn said:
    Con for bashing is fine. Int scales all of your damage spells so that's great for PVP. 
    Dskin also uses to scale off int (minimally, and I'm sure it had a cap). No clue if it still does though.  Should be fairly easy to test
  • Int affects your damage and some of your defense, but there's diminishing returns as you go higher. The difference between 19 intelligence and 17 intelligence for an Occultist is relatively miniscule, but the two points of constitution I got from swapping between Int and Con spec meant I didn't explode when someone looked at me funny.

If you're still hunting and leveling outside of killing other people, the damage bonus from Int is even smaller and the importance of being able to tank damage even more so.
  • Last I asked Makarios, dskin starts to hit diminishing returns around 13-14. 

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Dunn said:
    Last I asked Makarios, dskin starts to hit diminishing returns around 13-14. 
    The amount that skins seem to scale off int felt very minimal last time I tested it(probably 16-17 range).  I went for more int strictly because quicker kills required less tanking.

If your only focus is going to be hunting, I'd go 12 or thirteen int and dump the rest in con. If PVP, particularly light group fights pique your interest, you'll snake a lot more kills with an int focus.  With artificing(more one on one focused) int is still important(most of the golem attacks scale off of it I think) but it is far less required for one on one now days thanks to golem destroy and pummel hitting like a mac truck regardless. 
  • Have they fixed pummel always doing the torso damage even when it's not broken yet? :(
  • That classlead hasn't even been implemented yet, so there's no bug to fix.
  • It's doing more damage than it used to.

Was taking 60% per pummel with Trans minis, ring, etc. Used to only be ~47%

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Oh. I figured, since I saw logs with increased damage, and I tested it and got that, too. Unless there was a silent buff to pummel's base? In which case, ew.
  • edited October 2016
    Pummel is/was unblockable damage, so none of that stuff should matter. Are you sure you're not lumping staffstrike damage into the pummel and considering it as one big packet? Since staffstrike is affected by str, avatar boosted staffstrikes would do more damage than someone's normal staffstrike.

EDIT: and I suppose it's always plausible Someone made a mistake!
  • Resist all reduce it. I thought it was cold damage so cold resist augment it.

Even still it's higher than it used to be from memory. Don't recall dying to 2 non sensitive pummels ever.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • So I've recently discovered that Backstab damage is influenced by strength for Serpents. Does the stat influence anything else in their skillset? Like maybe... Garrote damage?
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Just backstab. Garrote isn't affected by strength.
  • edited October 2016
    Is there a comprehensive reference anywhere with all the various messages you need for setting up reasonable highlights in combat. All the possible eat/apply/smoke messages, tree, all the passives, etc? I'll be getting into combat soon and farming messages is generally a tedious and unenjoyable process.
  • Vessil said:
    Is there a comprehensive reference anywhere with all the various messages you need for setting up reasonable highlights in combat. All the possible eat/apply/smoke messages, tree, all the passives, etc? I'll be getting into combat soon and farming messages is generally a tedious and unenjoyable process.
    Download Austere's tracker; they're all in there among various other things.

• Cynlael said:
    Vessil said:
    Download Austere's tracker; they're all in there among various other things.
    That was my plan if nobody had what I was looking for, so I'll do just that.
  • Does dual-wield cutting need artie scimitars to be competitive?  If so, what's the minimum investment?