Hail, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Cyrene

Comments

• ArlandaArlanda Member Posts: 269 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Daeir said:
    That's not quite the point I wanted to get across. It's great that these things are done, but they should not be a necessity or used as a crutch in order to establish interaction. The other cities all have causes or other things to align around in order to spark that stuff off, what does Cyrene have?

I don't know. Maybe that's the point of Cyrene, a neutral housing for people with commitments to other organizations.
    For example it could be Mhaldor does things that revolves around Evil, Shallam did things that revolved around Good. Cyrene does things that revolves around what we want to do. Simple as that.
    Averi
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,276 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Which apparently, is nothing!
    ArlandaIdelisaMelodieFrizticBeyaElowin
  • TvistorTvistor Member Posts: 2,885 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited December 2012
    @Lodi

That's deep, man.
    I'm a postgraduate machine learning/cognitive psychology nerd now and am open to neato Achaea-based statistics/programming projects. PM me if you have any ideas.

I'm currently working on an implementation of a pathfinding algorithm for blind sailors trying to navigate chops and dock at ports.
    Lodi
  • KadenKaden Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Which is a long way of saying: we may be doing nothing but it's our nothing, damn it! 

Addendum: And you can keep your daily four hour raids! 
    IdelisaAveri
    Daeir said:
    Well I would have to disagree, the purpose of Cyrene's creation was for it to be a haven for people who do not want to get overly involved in all the Good-Evil fight. People who want to perhaps hunt, quest, cook, tailor and whatnot in peace without having to worry about being ganked suddenly on the highway.
    SiggeMelodie
    Arlanda said:
    Daeir said:
    Well I would have to disagree, the purpose of Cyrene's creation was for it to be a haven for people who do not want to get overly involved in all the Good-Evil fight. People who want to perhaps hunt, quest, cook, tailor and whatnot in peace without having to worry about being ganked suddenly on the highway.
    Bah, you don't get it. You can have a central theme that doesn't revolve around doing nothing. Like having the city cater towards craftsmen or artisans, or as a city of art, or something of that calibre. Isn't Hashan formed on the same value of neutrality as well?
    Daeir said:
    Arlanda said:
    Daeir said:
    Bah, you don't get it. You can have a central theme that doesn't revolve around doing nothing. Like having the city cater towards craftsmen or artisans, or as a city of art, or something of that calibre. Isn't Hashan formed on the same value of neutrality as well?
    Central theme: Do what you want as long as you don't step on the toes of others. 

And as long as the Cyrene citizens like it then its fine. It's sort of like someone saying that you can't sit at home and do nothing but play achaea because it is equivalent to doing nothing. Your reaction would be then: 1) It isn't nothing, it is something I like 2) Even if it is nothing as defined by you, as long as I like it then so be it
    Arlanda said:
    Daeir said:
    Arlanda said:
    Daeir said:
    Central theme: Do what you want as long as you don't step on the toes of others. 

And as long as the Cyrene citizens like it then its fine. It's sort of like someone saying that you can't sit at home and do nothing but play achaea because it is equivalent to doing nothing. Your reaction would be then: 1) It isn't nothing, it is something I like 2) Even if it is nothing as defined by you, as long as I like it then so be it
    That sounds a lot like the Freedom that Ashtan is supposed to represent, minus the toe-stepping bit. You're still missing my point - there's no central theme to Cyrene for no real reason. You have one of the most active Divine as your Patron and there was only very limited interaction with him from what I saw whilst I was a citizen for 8+ months. Every House kind of did their own thing and none of them really fit in with the city very well except for the Wardens, which convincingly enough has the same Patron that the city does!

I am saying that there is no binding aspect to Cyrene beyond proximity, and that really does not yield any meaningful interactions in the long term.
    Very limited interaction with the Patron? o.O Prepared to get bombed by the Cyrenians... There is so much interaction to the extent sometimes he wants us to shut up and not say hello to him
    Arlanda said:
    Very limited interaction with the Patron? o.O Prepared to get bombed by the Cyrenians... There is so much interaction to the extent sometimes he wants us to shut up and not say hello to him
    Again, you miss my point. I'm too tired to go into this any further - it is nothing wrong with any individual person or groups within Cyrene, it's just a short-falling of not having a common ethos to unite under beyond "we're Cyrenian and we stay out of things". I don't really know how to phrase this any differently, so we'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. I'm only saying how I feel about the matter in any case.
  • TvistorTvistor Member Posts: 2,885 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited December 2012
    Hey, "We're Cyrenians and we stay out of things" is a perfectly legitimate form of roleplay.

In Mhaldor we have a group of people who think "We're Mhaldorian and should thus be jerks about things" which is arguably more harmful.

What are we talking about again? I lost track.
    I'm a postgraduate machine learning/cognitive psychology nerd now and am open to neato Achaea-based statistics/programming projects. PM me if you have any ideas.

I'm currently working on an implementation of a pathfinding algorithm for blind sailors trying to navigate chops and dock at ports.
    LodiFrizticErasarielAveri
  • IdelisaIdelisa Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Looks like more rain today!
  • TasleusTasleus Member Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Aerek said:
    Daeir said:
    We don't get it? You're kidding, right? You're implying that Hashan is more cohesive and productive than Cyrene? I usually try to avoid sounding this dismissive, but do you actually play any characters in either of those cities, or are you just playing armchair analyst?

For a city with "nothing" as its ethos, Cyrene has the best sense of community and culture in this game. We have our problems, but we act more like a real city than Ashtan or Hashan ever has, and we don't have the crippling political conflicts that plagued Shallam. Mhaldor might beat us in cohesion and unity, but they do it with 4 like-minded houses and an oppressive regime. We have 4 diverse houses that could easily hate each other with a burning passion, but because of the substantial roleplay, culture, and loyalty to that "nothing" ethos, we all get along reasonably well.

I agreed with your principles at the start of your input, but now that you're trying to get into details, I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    aahahahaha. Oh, man. So seriously, Aerek just kinda let you have it, but what it boils down to is that you really either love or hate Cyrene.
    Aerek said:
    Daeir said:
    We don't get it? You're kidding, right? You're implying that Hashan is more cohesive and productive than Cyrene? I usually try to avoid sounding this dismissive, but do you actually play any characters in either of those cities, or are you just playing armchair analyst?

For a city with "nothing" as its ethos, Cyrene has the best sense of community and culture in this game. We have our problems, but we act more like a real city than Ashtan or Hashan ever has, and we don't have the crippling political conflicts that plagued Shallam. Mhaldor might beat us in cohesion and unity, but they do it with 4 like-minded houses and an oppressive regime. We have 4 diverse houses that could easily hate each other with a burning passion, but because of the substantial roleplay, culture, and loyalty to that "nothing" ethos, we all get along reasonably well.

I agreed with your principles at the start of your input, but now that you're trying to get into details, I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    I have 11 different alts. One of them was a Warden under your IC toutelage, playing for roughly 3 RL months. I have a HR5 character within the Arcane Kindred, and another HR3 within the Mojushai, both of which I play actively. I'm sorry, but I have to continue to disagree with you. I actively sought out and looked for RP opportunities on all three characters and still continue to do so (bar the Warden char which I stopped playing due to the House inactivity in my timezone, no hard feelings or anything) and the only solid opportunities I found were from organisations external to the city such as Orders and players from Houses in other cities (except Hashan). The only cohesion I ever saw in Cyrene was in a select few cabal of about 5-6 people whom regularly contributed to the Senate and not that surprisingly, seated in the leadership or assisting it therein.

Yes, you get along well and have a mild sense of community. I never disputed any of this. What irks me the most about Cyrene is that there is no fundamental drive to do anything. The Houses provide that in their tasks and requirements, but feed so little back to the City and what little they do feed back is so ruefully given and forced that so few people even bother participating in them. The Wardens are hands-down the only truly Cyrenian House by proxy of their theme and central ethos (ie, the protection of Cyrene from outside threats). You could happily remove the Arcane Kindred and the Mojushai out of Cyrene and there would be little implication to city interaction overall. Ty Beirdd had its heyday in the distant past from what I hear, but I have never been a member of it and thus cannot comment about it.

You seem be assuming there's some sort of ulterior purpose behind my posts, like I'm trying to look down on Cyrene and the people who play within it or something. A third of my characters are Cyrene and until recently, my main-ish character was Cyrenian for nearly 2 and a half years - about as long as I have been playing Achaea, period. I am simply stating what I have seen and observed, and what I wish would change. Cyrene needs something to kick it off again, like how protecting Theodelinda's tome in our library from the Ashtani was a central RP point for the city for months, and activity flourished as a consequence. Stuff needs to happen - excusing the city's lack of central drive point by saying its community is great is like excusing a pear from being rotten because its skin is green somehow.
    Sigge
  • SiggeSigge Member Posts: 53 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    I would like to point out, that as far as I know, just because you are a memeber of a City does not mean you HAVE to do things, you CAN just be a resident in that City, you are not obligated to join a House or anything (except in Mhaldor I think).
    Trilliana
  • NakariNakari Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    sometimes it is possible for a city to be a place to live, and not a place that should define one's role in the world

Rangor
  • ErasarielErasariel Member Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Well, now I see Aerek's point.

I realize that making Cyrene start doing things in a regular manner would be unnatural of it - but prodding it to do something every now and then is great.

Maybe I should take this into account next time I log in. Maybe the "Days of our Lives" Cyrene we have is alright.

It'd be a while before I can convince myself that though. :P

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
    Elowin
  • BeyaBeya Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Don't stand in Cyrene if you want me to interact with you. It's miles away from any universe spot, and it's a chore to get to Center Crossing where nobody does anything but stand. In addition, it's cold.

That's my input.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
    SiggeDaeir
  • TasleusTasleus Member Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited December 2012
    Beya said:
    Don't stand in Cyrene if you want me to interact with you. It's miles away from any universe spot, and it's a chore to get to Center Crossing where nobody does anything but stand. In addition, it's cold.

That's my input.

We do much more than just stand in Centre Crossing. Like uhh. Uhm. Hmm.

Um.

what.

Okay. Centre crossing is still the bomb though.
  • KatzchenKatzchen MhaldorMember Posts: 2,000 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited December 2012
    Tasleus said:
    Beya said:

That's my input.

We do much more than just stand in Centre Crossing. Like gossip.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

TasleusTrilliana
This discussion has been closed.