Jester Class

Comments

• The CIJ (and future incarnations of it) would benefit from the rest of the world having the murine training rooms. It would reduce the amount of people who just want to join the house, ignore the important life lessons and performances just to skip to the cool blow-things-up part. The skill needs cleaning up in flavour and mechanics. Right now it's still very over powered, but I shan't go into that. The flavour needs to be more concise. Think more of the end of Wanted than Tom and Jerry. They were depicted great in that film.

Sorry the scene is so short and out of context.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • I like the jack in the box... it's creepy as all hell, but in a good way.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• edited December 2012
    I hope this doesn't come off as elitist, but I dislike the 'yay pancakes, lol! you have a nose! rofl!' Jesters, just because I don't feel it contributes anything to the game atmosphere. Which is fine in itself, but other classes do contribute to the game atmosphere.  Things just do not have to be inanely childish and silly to be funny. Light-hearted characters are fine, and can be refreshing at times, but it becomes grating when it is all I see in most Jesters. I hope you guys don't interpret this as attacking the silly people, in all honesty I'd just like to see more Jester fighters. 

I consider Jesters to be unpredictable and incredibly dangerous fighters that can kill someone in so many different ways they have no idea what to expect. That is how I tried to play Rean during his time as a Jester, and I hope that is how most people viewed him. Unfortunately, there are so few serious Jester fighters that this is more of a dream - most Jesters just aren't dangerous on any level. 

(also wow, you guys touched on like everything possible. Well done!)
  • I actually should have included Rean. He dueled me when I was still randomly envenoming with terrible illusions, JITB'd and was very polite about it all.

I never got the 'jester' vibe from him though. It was more like 'this is a dangerous combatant who happens to be using the jester skillset at the moment'.
  • The thing is, there are going to be "silly" characters who play in all classes. I can think of a few rogue occultists who like nothing better than to rofl all over central market in Ashtan and talk about cookies over CT. No reason for the immersion of the various classes to be sacrificed for that small segment of AchaeaChat users.
  • Awww, <3 you too Beya. Now go back to sleep.

As the New Guy (or one of, at least!) to this whole debate, I can't speak to the jester class (as I haven't played it) but I can speak to the state of the CIJ; Beya touched on most of the points I'd want to make, but I want to emphasize the fact that "jestering" as a profession (and not just a class) is something quite a few of us new folk would like to take more seriously, and I'm hoping we see a shift in things as time goes on. I know that I joined the CIJ as a Serpent, not only because I've always loved the class (I played Achaea, oh, back five or six years ago, briefly), but also because I wanted to take half a step back from "oh ho ho, silliness" jestering and really look at things from a performer's viewpoint, since it's one that I have quite a chunk of experience with. I've pushed Knucker as a stagehand and a dramaturge, partially because I suck at actually GOOD improv comedy, but because I really view my goal as a "jester" to be holding up a big old mirror of satire to various occurrences in Sapience. I really love the idea of the CIJ getting more involved with the Beirdd in a "friendly rivalry" sort of way, as it gives all the performers a chance to get to know each other and play off each other, which is hugely important in putting on good performances. Furthermore, it does bring forward a sort of back-and-forth between Serious Theatre and Satirical Comedy, and while there are elements of both in each group I do think keeping something of an air of satire and "poking fun" is important for the CIJ.

However, more importantly I like pushing goals and aims of the CIJ as a performing troupe because it can feel odd to be part of the house and not be a jester, and I'd really love to see more performers in the house who AREN'T jesters (bards in particular!). Just as has been said already here, it's the difference between standing on street corners juggling and telling mediocre jokes, and starring in the big-top or onstage with your fellow performers. Being able to come together as a troupe, and hold up a big ol' satirical mirror to Sapience, is really how I see the CIJ in a perfect world.

But hey, what does the novice know, eh? Ah heh heh heh.

To be honest, as a relative youngster on the face of Sapience and not particularly any good at fighting, I see my best defense being writing hilarious satire full of biting wit to destroy my enemies. Not only is it fun, but it lasts a heck of a lot longer too!
  • I don't think Rean ever in his life used bop. He will not kill something by poking it in the nose - that's something to save for humiliation kills. Also, dagger throwing is just stylish. It's easily the biggest thing I miss about Jester (death tarot comes to a close second, followed by bombs.)
  • Dagger jester... I like it... would go well with the juggling.

• Tvistor said:
    No, no, no. The dumb part is mouse-brainwashing centers exist. As captivated as I was initially by the concept of mice consigning themselves to humorous oblivion at the behest of their jester overlords, the novelty wore off to be replaced with incredulity and a deep-seated conviction that Tom and Jerry were omni-trans jesters.
    Are you serious? It's a fantastic ability. It's an original idea. It's genuinely funny. It's a wonderful, evocative visual: a scurrying mouse with a fizzing stick of dynamite strapped to its back. It's one of the few abilities in their kit that nails the aesthetic, that careful balance between cartoonish and practical, a mildly silly idea legitimised through excellent execution. I find it completely plausible that a 15th century court jester/spymaster could train pigeons to carry notes. If pigeons, why not mice? If notes, why not bombs? I hate a lot of things about jesters, but I feel the opposite about suicide mice.
  • To put it simply, it is silly. My objection is nothing more than that the very idea of brainwashing mice is too comic villain for Achaea. That is arguable but I am going to just repeat "No, I'm right" with my hands over my ears, so there.
  • Katzchen said:
    Dagger jester... I like it... would go well with the juggling.
    Yes, it was always epic to throw three x/155+/230+ daggers in a flurry and follow it with a fourth skill. I wish I saw Jesters doing that more.
  • Love those ideas. That would be an awesome class. Not sure what you mean by 'red smile' though, and like I said, I love jack-in-the-box.

• +1 Trey, except suicide mice. I'm with Bluji on this one, they've got great flavor as is.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • +1 to daggers, bearings, taunt, and the hocus pocus rework. Excellent ideas there. It'd be great if they were reworked like that.
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • edited December 2012
    Katzchen said:
    Love those ideas. That would be an awesome class. Not sure what you mean by 'red smile' though, and like I said, I love jack-in-the-box.
    If we're giving Jesters daggers, I figured a timed insta where they slip behind you, wrap their arms around your head and slit your throat from ear to ear would be fun. It's admittedly more sadistic than neutral, but it fit the jester theme.

at 157s

• Trey said:
    Katzchen said:
    Love those ideas. That would be an awesome class. Not sure what you mean by 'red smile' though, and like I said, I love jack-in-the-box.
    If we're giving Jesters daggers, I figured a timed insta where they slip behind you, wrap their arms around your head and slit your throat from ear to ear would be fun. It's admittedly more sadistic than neutral, but it fit the jester theme.
    Ah, makes sense. I'd say it's more 'rogue-ish' than sadistic though. No worse than most other classes anyway.

• edited December 2012
    I'd like more context given to WISH FOR <item>. It's been my opinion that anyone with low credibility should be outright denied by the Divine when they ask them for props.

@Trey: Launch. "Grabbing Delphinus by the shoulders, you tumble backwards, pulling him with you. Gathering your legs up to your chest, you kick out as you roll, launching him skyward."
    +50 to this message. I can really visualise it with this description.

Needs one for themselves;

You tumble and roll, gathering momentum. Landing in a crouch, you feel the power in your legs and kick off against the ground, sending you high into the air.

The Redsmile name takes away any preconceptions of what jack-in-the-boxes are. Fantastic and what the skill needs.

Thoroughly approve of the daggers. While I'm all for supporting blacksmiths, I'd be concerned about a jester's only bashing skill relying upon attaining a dagger and keeping it. Knights and bards can hold onto their weapons. Perhaps wishing for a single dagger at a time. Further, reserve daggers from blacksmiths could be sheathed in different clothing types for drawslash-like attacks. A kalmia dagger in the hat, a slike dagger in the boots...

Drawing your dagger from a pair of leather boots, you sweep it across Trey's neck in an arc of movement.

With a flick of your hand you pull an obsidian dagger from a red belt and plunge it into Trey's stomach.

Indeed, the slice ability could derive from the amount learned in pranks and the player's dexterity as opposed to the dagger's stats (as per the current blackjack).

As to runaway, I'm all for it being another flavour for dash, but balloon giraffes also gave a swing up ability which should be included too. Other benefits include not drowning when you're in water, but I think that can be overlooked (or, by virtue of your acrobatic prowess, your ability to swim is heightened). 

Honestly, though, the swimming thing can be overlooked.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Should clarify my dagger comment:

500 gold to WISH FOR DAGGER.

500 gold for five daggers from a forger.

Convenience vs sensible investment.
  • I always thought "wishing for" stuff and getting it was stupid anyway, tbh. 
  • It would be better to make itchpowder from dust, ballbearings from iron, mickeys from ginseng or an Alchemical alternative.

Jesters should still be able to produce their own weapon for a bashing attack, even if it's more costly than visiting a smith.
  • What about replacing Puppetry? I always found it rather annoying that it was just Vodun with a make-over, and that it really didnt even make sense for a jester to be sewing up a doll to try and spiritually control their opponent.

Replace Puppetry with a more useful un-copied skill, yea or nay?
  • Asmodron said:
    What about replacing Puppetry?
    Jesus, Asmodron. One step at a time.
  • Beya said:
    Asmodron said:
    What about replacing Puppetry?
    Jesus, Asmodron. One step at a time.
    Strike while the Iron is hot!!! >:D
  • edited December 2012
    -Wall of text removed-

Puppetry is very useful, and the flavour text is well drawn.
  • I like puppetry. And it does make sense for jesters to use puppets. Perhaps if you think of it as more of a metaphorical 'pulling' of the person's strings, it seems more appropriate?