Jester Class

Comments

• If you all want it a different so bad, why not re-write it yourselves and if the Gods deem it all worthy then maybe they'll use it? Put all that energy into something other than complaining about it...
  • Daeir said:
    Sigge said:
    If you all want it a different so bad, why not re-write it yourselves and if the Gods deem it all worthy then maybe they'll use it? Put all that energy into something other than complaining about it...
    Challenge accepted.
    I actually had this skill re-design concept I once made for jesters...wonder where I put that file.
  • Tanris said:
    People saying that jesters should get a dark set of flavour abilities are only serving to highlight the issue. That being, the class skills should not force a particular playstyle upon that character: if you are needing to have separate sets of abilities for the same class, that is a failed design. That is what emotes and tmotes are for. Jester flavour text should be similar to all other classes: generic, good writing with the potential to expand in any direction the player chooses (within reason). Necromancy is actually fairly similar to this (vivisect diabolical laughing), but is generally disregarded because the vivisect looks cool, whereas most jester things just evoke the urge to cringe.

While occultists have to be secretive and learned. Every class has its given roleplay, but people are always welcome to draw outside the lines. In fact, there is nothing that violates a Mhaldorian gloom-and-doom persona in the flavor text itself. Jitb is plenty gruesome and wicked, albeit in a playful way. But jester skills (pranks/puppetry) are sadistic in their theme, so it's not a mechanical issue.

The way I see it, if you have a problem with certain people, it isn't because they're jesters. They'd likely play their character similarly by any other class. Some people like to be loose, others prefer to be uptight. I've seen jesters who are both. But to be honest, I find the pk-jesters to be boring because their profession contributes nothing to their character. (I'm doing it right.)

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Delphinus said:
    Babel's religion is 10% heat death, 20% Lovecraft, and 15% concentrated power of will. The Principia Discordia and Robert Anton Wilson really had nothing to do with it.
    Page 00045 of the Principia -

10. During and after the Fall of the Establishment of Bureaucracy was the Aftermath, an Age of Disorder in which calculation, computations, and reckonings were put away by the Children of Eris in Acceptance and Preparation for Return to Oblivion.

bam.

• In summary: Jester skills are silly, not funny.

The only skill I ever see a jester use that actually aids jester RP is hocuspocus, and even that is spoiled somewhat by the extremely stupid muttering. Hocus pocus? Really? Apart from that it is just giraffes and all hail Overlord Malifuus.

Best jester in the game, hands down.
  • edited December 2012
    @Tvistor While I don't necessarily disagree,

Sobriquet would like a word with you.

Edit: oh, do you mean current jester? Haven't seen either of them in a while. :/
  • Xith said:

While occultists have to be secretive and learned. Every class has its given roleplay, but people are always welcome to draw outside the lines. In fact, there is nothing that violates a Mhaldorian gloom-and-doom persona in the flavor text itself.

I dare you to try to look like you should be taken seriously while riding a balloon giraffe

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited December 2012
    You're starting to understand the fnords, Sohl. There's hope for you yet.

I will concede that giraffe balloons are pretty stupid, and I'd happily trade them for 50% chance to fling double aeon w/Devil.

• My two favourite classes are occultist and jester.

Jester DOES need a non-facepalmworthy flavour makeover, in places. And a class loyal that feels more like a partner, also wouldn't go amiss. Serpents have snakes, knights have falcons, jesters have... balloon animals and exploding mice? Saddest day of Bo's life was when she was told she couldn't use her ents as actors, back when she was an Occultist.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • In all my time playing Achaea, I have seen precisely one funny Jester.  Yes, this is mainly down to bad RP rather than flavour text, but the fact remains that the flavour text absolutely shatters the fourth wall in many cases.  I also now feel something of a Fool myself having said that CIJ was the only thing that rescued the class, to then have a bunch of folks come pouring out of the woodwork and telling us all that the whole point of the House comes down to three badly parodied and cringe-inducing words:

Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Nakari said:
    Xith said:

While occultists have to be secretive and learned. Every class has its given roleplay, but people are always welcome to draw outside the lines. In fact, there is nothing that violates a Mhaldorian gloom-and-doom persona in the flavor text itself.

I dare you to try to look like you should be taken seriously while riding a balloon giraffe

That's the beauty of jester though. You laugh at them, and then they chomp your f%^&#*$ head off. You can totally turn balloon animals into a thing of fear, except that jester has been on a nerf streak for a little while.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited December 2012
    Xith said:
    Nakari said:
    Xith said:

That's the beauty of jester though. You laugh at them, and then they chomp your f%^&#*$ head off. You can totally turn balloon animals into a thing of fear, except that jester has been on a nerf streak for a little while.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing you can do to make a balloon animal into a thing of fear.  Don't make me go and buy a LOLNEEDLE artefact.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • lolol <3 Tvistor

• Syntax: SLIPPERINESS

Once you've activated slipperiness, you will be able to WRITHE out of bonds such as web or hanged
    man tarot more quickly than otherwise. Additionally, your agility will allow you to partially avoid
    attacks from denizens, reducing your damage taken. There is no ongoing cost to this ability.

slipperiness
    You're quite the slippery little fellow aren't you?
    Shoot me, shoot me now.
  • I could totally play an evil jester if pranks was something... less lame. Puppetry, Tarot, and Acrobatics? Shrug. And lose the damn blackjacks. Or make it so a jester with a scimitar or something would be at least as efficient if they put the lessons into weaponry.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Syntax: RUNAWAY <direction>

While you are riding your inflatable giraffe, you may beat a hasty retreat, going up to 10 rooms in a straight line.

runaway nw
    You kick your giraffe in the haunches and scream, "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"
    hahahahahhahahahaahhaha
  • Asmodron said:
    Syntax: RUNAWAY <direction>

While you are riding your inflatable giraffe, you may beat a hasty retreat, going up to 10 rooms in a straight line.

runaway nw
    You kick your giraffe in the haunches and scream, "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"
    hahahahahhahahahaahhaha
    When I had pranks via an ember, I did that with my gryphon.

It was glorious.
  • gotta love bopping  people on the head with a blackjack.
  • Is Jester an alright class for hunting?
  • I wish Blackjacks were more like the Riding-Crop (Small leather bag filled with lead, or lead weight on the end of a a flexible stick) kind than the the Sap (Limp) kind...
  • Not a funny joke either.
  • Arlanda said:
    Is Jester an alright class for hunting?
    No, terrible hunting class.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.