Jester Class

Comments

• Jester fits well enough, though some of those abilities need some serious cleaning up in terms of flavour.

Though, to throw a bone to the jesters, they really need to make Suicidemice available to all Jesters if they haven't already. No other class has a requirement that actively takes an ability away from you without allowing you to compensate for it somehow except maybe alchemist. Possibly forestals now, too, with the whole city-forest split thing. The difference is, Jesters would need to join the CIJ. Forestals/alchemists would need to be in a city or not be in a city. At least make them available for purchase or something.
  • Katzchen said:

Aktillum said:
    This thread's a bit of a joke. It sounds like everyone who hates Jester wants them to be a more serious class to fit your serious character RP, because you all roleplay a bunch of badasses or something. You're the people who do INCLINE instead of HELLO, because your character is so edgy and mysterious.

This thread makes me sad. I want to go punch Druid novices in the face now, they're always referring to people as "mommy & daddy" IG which I think is a completely stupid way to roleplay. Delete bloodlines plz.
    Actually we want them to be more neutral so that you can choose your RP, you aren't forced into this stupid clown act.

I already covered that. Giraffes exist for Runaway and the less-than-useful STEP INTO TREES. The reason they are balloons is because then you can still backflip while mounted, which isn't possible with a 200 pound animal squeezed between your legs.

Honestly, the whole argument is like me saying I want to be able roleplay a sexy Apostate and slushy rot-skin totally ruins that for me.

(Even if it is kind of erotic.)image

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

• Xith said:
    Katzchen said:

Aktillum said:
    This thread's a bit of a joke. It sounds like everyone who hates Jester wants them to be a more serious class to fit your serious character RP, because you all roleplay a bunch of badasses or something. You're the people who do INCLINE instead of HELLO, because your character is so edgy and mysterious.

This thread makes me sad. I want to go punch Druid novices in the face now, they're always referring to people as "mommy & daddy" IG which I think is a completely stupid way to roleplay. Delete bloodlines plz.
    Actually we want them to be more neutral so that you can choose your RP, you aren't forced into this stupid clown act.

I already covered that. Giraffes exist for Runaway and the less-than-useful STEP INTO TREES. The reason they are balloons is because then you can still backflip while mounted, which isn't possible with a 200 pound animal squeezed between your legs.

Honestly, the whole argument is like me saying I want to be able roleplay a sexy Apostate and slushy rot-skin totally ruins that for me.

I reckon infernals/apostates are pretty sexy ;)

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited December 2012
    Making suicidemice available to all Jesters isn't a bad idea, it'd just need a good event. Be kind of dumb if mouse-brainwashing centers started popping up for public use, I'd like to think the CiJ has kind of a patent on the techniques. They're a pretty neutral House already, anyone from any city can join.

Although to be completely honest, if you guys really want to make Jesters into a 100% performance artist class, you should keep suicidemice as a CiJ perk because the CiJ do a really great job on atleast trying to enforce the performance artist roleplay, with efftons of house requirements on writing skits and plays and performing them in front of live audiences.

I really think people just want Jester changed so they can take advantage of the awesome PK potential without feeling silly, but that's missing the point of the class. I think we should look to Bonko for inspiration as the ideal Jester. So badass, yet so utterly lulz. The fact that Jester skills are so silly just cements them as the ultimate griefing class. Dude, you just got your head bit off by a dude wielding a rubber ducky.

• Katzchen said:

Xith said:

Katzchen said:

Aktillum said:

I reckon infernals/apostates are pretty sexy ;)

Hi there.

• I always thought Beya was awesome in all honesty. I've never met Bonko or Sobriquet, though they seem to be legends or something. I DO know there is a Jester in the CIJ that I absolutely HATE (I was around when he first started out, I really didn't like him then either), and is the only reason (other than I suck at performance stuff, joke, riddles, etc.) that I dont make a Jester and join the CIJ.
  • Beya IS awesome.

If I had any interest in combat whatsoever, I would SO be sending random tells to Bonko (since I can't tell when he's in realms) of 'Teach me? I love you!' (or random stuff along those lines) because he's the Jester-class Tanris, in the combat sense.

I've met Sobriquet, but haven't seen enough of him to feel comfortable making any comment about him that's relevant to this thread.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • Bonko couldn't kill a fly if it knew how to tumble AFTER OPENING DOORS ( with its wings ). No offence, love you bonko.

• Re: @Bonko and @Sobriquet, they are well known for fairly different things. Bonko was well known for basically being an absolute griefer and a decent combatant, while Sobriquet was known for being a skilled combat jester who was not a griefer. And yes, I do/did know both fairly well, although Sobriquet wouldn't know me by this name :P

• Aktillum said:

I really think people just want Jester changed so they can take advantage of the awesome PK potential without feeling silly, but that's missing the point of the class. I think we should look to Bonko for inspiration as the ideal Jester. So badass, yet so utterly lulz. The fact that Jester skills are so silly just cements them as the ultimate griefing class. Dude, you just got your head bit off by a dude wielding a rubber ducky.

Like this. Was exactly my point.
    Legendary jesters are Bonko for badassery and getting shrubbed repeatedly. Beya for his performance/rp and neat little games. And Sobriquet cause he's all refined and stuff, and old, and his name is cool.

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that your entire roleplaying experience is ruined by someone riding a balloon. They're really not as anachronistic as you think, unless we're debating over the material used. Very early balloons were made out of things like pig's bladder. 

How's that for your mental image? Tasur'ke being sieged and Tingle floats in on a pig's bladder.

• Aktillum said:
    I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that your entire roleplaying experience is ruined by someone riding a balloon. They're really not as anachronistic as you think, unless we're debating over the material used. Very early balloons were made out of things like pig's bladder. 

How's that for your mental image? Tasur'ke being sieged and Tingle floats in on a pig's bladder.
    hmm as interesting as that is, It just feels like your trying to find a some excuse for Jesters having some actual serious RP potential when in fact they are just...annoying.

Sorry Aktillum but you just cant justify ever ability in the Jester kit as having some depth behind it (have you seen the Run away ability??).

They just need a remodeling to be taken seriously in any way.
  • I really don't get any of the reasoning for not changing the flavor a bit. Like, if you enjoy jesters now, you could easily continue playing one exactly like it, you might just have to toss in a few more emotes. If you wanted to play something different, you could do that too.

Can anyone list an actual harm in making the jester abilities a bit less silly in the skills themselves?

edited December 2012
    This is just going to go in circles of "they're annoying" - "They're meant to be" - "Thats a dumb excuse, they're still annoying" - "Your face is annoying".

I don't agree that a class based on overt silliness is a bad thing, nor do I think that the class needs to be transformed into some tightropes and trampolines circus act to be taken seriously. The class isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's meant for people who want to roleplay silly characters, and I'm sorry that it's one of the best PK classes in the game, but that's not a reason to try and scrap the whole thing because you think it's dumb. 

Like I said earlier, it seems most people on the anti-Jester side of the argument would never play a Jester character, and you want to get rid of them because people who play Jesters can be annoying. Or, you secretly want to play a Jester, but like fat girls and scooters, they're only fun until your friends see you riding one.
    Nakari said:
    Can anyone list an actual harm in making the jester abilities a bit less silly in the skills themselves?
    Take your pick, personally I think just changing the bop message would be fine. Not everything has a nose!

Handspring          Leap at your foes in neighboring rooms.
    Props               Wish for the props that every good jester needs.
    Balloons            Float to the skies with balloons.
    Slipperiness        Let your bad self shine on through.
    Bop                 Bop your enemies with a blackjack.
    Giraffes            Twist a balloon into a giraffe. Wheee!
    Backflip            Flip over obstructions like a monkey on kola.
    Hocuspocus          Cast coloured illusions to dazzle those about you.
    Runaway             And thou didst beat a brave and hasty retreat.
    Concussionbomb      Momentarily stun everyone in the room.
    Butterflybomb       Blast people from the skies and trees.
    Balloonhandoff      Launch your foes to the clouds with a big red balloon!
    Backhandspring      Leap out of the room striking someone on the way out.
    Balancing           You're like a cat, you are.
    Smokebomb           Choke all in the room with a plume of smoke.
    Juggling            Damn, you're good.
    Webbomb             Explode strands of rope to bind everyone in the room.
    Acrobatics          Leap and bounce to make yourself a difficult target to hit.
    Badjoke             It's everyone ELSE that has the bad sense of humour!
    Mickey              Slip some poor sucker a mickey.
    Traps               The ability to search for traps in your location.
    Disarm              Attempt to disarm a trap.
    Graffiti            Doesn't everyone deserve to share your wisdom?
    Somersault          Quickly somersault past obstructions, even when bound.
    Arrowcatch          Pluck arrows from the air with the greatest of ease.
    Bananas             Litter the floor with slippery banana peels.
    Firecracker         Construct festive firecrackers.
    Itchpowder          Uurch...ergh! *scratch scratch* Arrgh! *scratch scratch*
    Dustbomb            Numb the sense of your victims with a bomb.
    Jack-in-the-Box     An innocent musical toy with a vicious bite!
    Timers              Give your bombs a delayed effect.
    Suicidemice         Brainwash mice to carry bombs on their backs. Groovy.

• If someone wants to roleplay silly then all they have to do...is roleplay silly. There are alot of "silly' people in the game. A class doesnt have to be themed to be silly, angry, heroic, etc. just so people that enjoy that RP can play it. Take Sylvans, their abilities are very neutral in theme and we have seen them over a wide spectrum, from chaotic to evil to nature to neutral.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    it's not necessarily bad RP, it's just annoying for certain players to see it. 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited December 2012
    P.s. Major shout out to @Blackharp, @Sheetaa, @Sillias, @Knucker, @Cacilia and @Eilethil, all who have made the entire experience of the CIJ worth my time.

To clarify, I'm not ever going to give up on the CIJ and will continue it into its next iteration when it comes. People need to be more patient and tolerant.

EDIT: It is further to note that such changes cannot and should not be forced onto the CIJ, but should come naturally. You can't just kill off the house denizens or chuck them back into Bopa and seal it up. That's like forcing a transvestite to wear jeans. I'm sure there's a solution somewhere.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • edited December 2012
    -double post-
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • I've got your back Beya!

Let's do this motha
  • Suicide mice are pretty much the best ability in this game. You use cheese as bait to fish for a mouse. Then you brainwash it into doing your bidding. Then you strap a bomb to its back. That's just. There's nothing better.
  • edited December 2012

Achaea is a high fantasy environment, and jesters are actually a magic class, not just acrobatics. Balloon giraffes typically can't sprint on their own. It's bringing magic to a performance art such as balloon art. Puppet performance is tied in with the Vodun skillset to control opponents that way. We still 'laugh darkly' when we add our 50+ fashions.

"Hocus pocus" desperately needs its flavour text changed to something less hammy. I've never liked that from the start.

I'd like to see a marotte offered as an alternative to the standard blackjack, which is why I had to customise mine.image

There are obviously bits and pieces that need reworking, but for the most part, we don't care. And that's part of the beauty of jester too. It's the middle finger class.
    Badjoke                It's everyone ELSE that has the bad sense of humour!

I don't perceive the Pranks skillset as a far cry from this archetype.

So if you have a problem with killer clowns, SHUT. UP.
    So queue up your dislikes. Cause contrary to popular belief, we're not just here to entertain.

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    edited December 2012
    This was all I got out of @Xith's post:

Macros containing cursing still contain cursing. Sorry! To preserve the meaning of the post, the replaced macro could be summarized as: a strange-looking clown wondering bemusedly and in a mildly aggrieved fashion how roleplaying works.

So, I give up. Sorry, @Beya, but it looks like you're fighting a losing battle. 
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!

• Xith said:
    Pranks and jesters are magic. It's like this:

[Harley Quinn and the Joker]
    ok
  • Delphinus said:

Xith said:
    Pranks and jesters are magic. It's like this:

[Harley Quinn and the Joker]
    ok

Abraham Lincoln said:
    Four score and seven years ago, that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.