Breaking Credit Market

Comments

• Sena said:

Besides that, I'm not sure speculation is really a big enough problem to focus much attention on. 
    We're not sure either to be honest. Nicola and Mak came up with and wanted to run this experiment to see what would happen. Ultimately I am reasonably sure that this is mostly a matter of supply and demand, but 'mostly' still leaves room for other factors.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I think Tah hits the nail on the head. Once you hit dragon and have elder, there's very little reason to bash except for gold, or in some instances, for essence (but that's super limited). I haven't been in a mood to really bash much, but I know if I was, I'd be a bit discouraged to be hitting the cap.

That doesn't mean I think the cap needs to go away - I think overall, it's good thing. But I definitely think more bashing rewards, like the talisman pieces or others, would definitely help mitigate the "well wtf am I going to do now" feeling a lot of our consistent, high-time bashers have.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I'm curious what the life cycle of a credit is, before it's finally spent or converted. Are credits on CFS sold back and forth multiple times? If that's the case, making CFS credits bind on purchase could have the opposite effect from what people want, by completely drying up CFS.

Credits function as a secure investment: unlike gold they can't be stolen, admin will guaranteed always back you up if someone tries to rip you off when credits are involved, you can access them anywhere, transfer them to anyone anywhere, easily liquidate them anywhere. The main downsides are limited supply and price fluctuations, but the price is never going down over the long term so there's little risk.

If you want to see credit prices drop I think two things need to happen:

1. More credits on the market.
    1a. Mitigate the effects of long-term regular monthly non-credit promos.

2. Create something big and desirable that's sold for gold, not credits, to give people a reason to dump credits for gold. (Ships did this, lots of people dumping enough credits for 5m gold. Housing - maybe not popular enough.)

Melodie said:

Once you hit dragon and have elder, there's very little reason to bash except for gold
    Sounds like they should add lairs???? and instead of gold you bash for resources to build up your lair??????
  • Dragons??? and Lairs???

Will I get an awesome horde as well? (jk me ever hitting is a joke, I'm too busy with doing house work to keep interviews going on and recording stuff)
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    so should i buy like 1000 credits in anticapation of new class or should i buy 15000 lessons :/ oh garsh

• RE: the post by @Tahquil and talismans, I wouldn't mind seeing more talisman sets dropping based around where you bash. For example, Ivory Mark stuff from Ivory Tower, Quisalis Mark from Quisalis Den, Seafaring from trades, Conclave from up north in the Tundra areas (maybe, not sure on placement for these, maybe some islands?), Death in UW. Have Dragon & Wonders as the "everywhere" ones, and so on.

It would add additional reasoning for people to bash after reaching Dragon with some greater variance in talisman sets than just Elder or Azatlan. Or just create some new talisman sets along those lines, if Mark/Death/whatever are still desired to stay linked to website purchases. Even just adding Wonders to the Elder and Azatlan might help vary things up.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Heh. A fair few of these talisman sets have such OP shit that I wouldn't want to see proliferate, personally, but the Wonders and Historical sets could be cool, since that was all just flavour stuff for the most part.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Anything put in as a bashable talisman set should only give short term buffs. If you make them permanent items you fall into the same thing that happen with the elder sets. Bash it up, cross it off and then never think of it again.

Example :  deathcape that takes 4 seperate level 5 pieces - lasts for 5rl days before decaying.
  • Not getting into the gold cap debate, but credits were headed down until the anti-speculation policy went in. Now they're back to 9k+. Something broke. 
  • Tahquil said:
    Going to put this out there:

There is four main reasons people hunt. XP, gold, get dragon and talisman pieces. Once you hit dragon there is only two. If you want to be an elder dragon you churn away for that then you are only left with one : gold, a goal that gets handicapped after a certain limit.

Whatever happened to talismans? From all reports everyone was excited when they came out as they were toted as being another type of reward system for bashers instead of gold. The atzlan and dragon pieces were put into play, conclave pop up in a event for a limited time, and now they are only added to the game via OOC purchases.

I think the original idea of talismans as another form of bashing reward needs to come back. In an attempt to nix our relic problem in the same broad sweeping stroke here as the relics only reward 1-4 bashers out of hundreds and are largely inaccessible to the majority of the playerbase. This is what I propose: 

- Event where the relics are destroyed. Some disintegrate completely while others leave behind the dust of themselves.
    (Prune back the potential relic pool)

- Dust settles on select denizens. Now when these denizens are killed they dropdust / talisman pieces of the relic set.
    (Basic kill a mob, may drop a talisman set up)

- People can then build fragments of the relics with talismans and use them for 24 hours before they are destroyed.
    (Once built, they start to decay, thus if people want it they need to keep rebuilding them instead of the one and done system)

- No, people are not PK when holding a fragment.
    (Because that would stop some from engaging in this reward line)

- Relics are out, relic talisman set is in.

That sounds pretty cool.
  • Sena said:
    Is the most common/problematic method of speculation really to buy credits and immediately put them up at high prices? To me, that seems like a lazy and not very effective way to do it, while normal (from my perspective) speculation still works fine with these restrictions; buy credits when they're not too expensive, wait for the current/average prices to get higher, then put them up for sale at now-reasonable prices. Unless it's near the end of an auction or something and you won't be around at the right time, and want to take advantage of the chance that someone will end up buying your credits at 20k. Outside of situations like that, it seems rare for the far-above-average credits to actually sell, or impact the market much (and even in those extreme situations, the prices usually bounce back pretty quickly).

credit arbitrage has been pretty dead for me since about christmas. When credit prices were more stable at around 6k you could bet on prices falling back to 6k and pocket the difference.  I believe plenty of the aforementioned achaean whales actually practiced arbitrage on cfs - it was a pretty safe way to make a fair amount of gold.  But for various reasons, credit prices have not really hit a new equilibrium price that people widely agree on as 'fair value.'  

Every once in a while, some guy will get crazy and think they'll make a profit by driving cfs up thinking they'll make a killing.  I don't think it's a great idea to do that as while it's relatively easy to drive cfs up - its not nearly as easy to drive cfs back down. So while you can accumulate  alot of gold, getting credits at a 'reasonable' price through this method is generally a hassle.  You can still make some gold by selling high and buying low, but the flow is much more unpredictable - a few thousand gold here and there. And while free money isn't anything to sneeze at - its hardly moving the needle compared to the millions (of gold) you could make through arbitrage previously.

• Sarapis said:
    You understand only a handful of players are affected by the softcap, right? And that those players were generating huge amounts of gold, making it harder for everyone else to earn credits with gold.

The cap makes it easier for the overwhelming majority of players in the game to buy credits with gold, not harder.

Yes, fully understand this, I also know those people have always been there, yet this problem has not..

Sarapis said:
    We're not sure either to be honest. Nicola and Mak came up with and wanted to run this experiment to see what would happen. Ultimately I am reasonably sure that this is mostly a matter of supply and demand, but 'mostly' still leaves room for other factors.

That hit the nail on the head.  Its a supply and demand problem, and what I've been suggesting from my very first post.  The extra demand has been introduced by the inclusion of multiclass.  The decrease in supply surely a result of the style of promotions that have been run most recently where people are purchasing globes, caches or artefact carts instead of credits.

I tend to agree that the promotion styles you've been running make sense, you cant deny the popularity of them and I have to assume that equates to better income.  Hence my focus has been on attempting to alleviate the pressure added via multiclass, rather than penalizing the people who have been there all along and not having that overwhelming impact on CFS.

• When I brought up the supply of credits being down the last time we talked about this, I pretty much got called an idiot by Sarapis and told I didn't have a clue how basic economics worked and that credit sales were bad for the game.

So don't point out that CFS was stable for years until the string of promotions that weren't credit sales that reduced the supply of credits, or the introduction of multiclass that increased demand.

It is clearly people bashing too much that is the only problem so the only possible solution is to restrict anyone from doing that.

• Aethele said:
    Not getting into the gold cap debate, but credits were headed down until the anti-speculation policy went in. Now they're back to 9k+. Something broke. 
    Or the market has spiked when people bought a lot and then found its way back to 8500 pretty quickly. It's happened twice now, people need to stop taking a single window where nobody is buying credits as the 'new average'.

Also  (unrelated to quote), I'm pretty sure relics/minerals had a bigger impact than any lack of credit promos. Given bashing DR did bring down the average credit prices and it's been about 2 months since the change we won't know what will continue to happen. There's still a shit ton of new gold in the system from people who got full effect of braid/ahmetite for RL months, so we might never see them drop below the average they're at now unless a big sink that targets those people specifically is put in.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• This new system is discouraging and inconveniencing as a seller of credits. How is it beneficial to anyone to prevent significantly undercutting the market for a quick sale?

If I take a hit to potential revenue, then that's on me. If someone wants to turn around and flip those credits, then my part of the transaction is over. If you don't like the economics of the situation, deal with them. If someone else uses those credits to increase the power of their character, then the credit life cycle is closed and again, why is it an issue?

Sourpuss summary: The lower bound is far too tight on credit sales using CFS.
  • Mindshell said:
    If you don't like the economics of the situation, deal with them.
    That's exactly what the admin did. It sounds like now you don't like the economics of the situation.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• They've implemented a regulatory policy on the system, no one has been dealt with.

The intention behind it to put downwards pressure upon CFS, while restricting the volitility of that pressure.

Don't try to call me out on disagreeing with the intent, when the system is in a place where it needs to be bypassed to go to market direct.
  • Months with globe promos 0 city credit sales. Months with credit promos, loads of city credit sales.
  • Not going to get into this too deeply again, as most of this has been hashed in other threads.

Multiclass, I believe to be the main culprit here. Even leaving lesson packages on the web would alleviate quite a lot of pressure I have to assume.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Omg guys it's clearly broken in the other direction now!!!!!1!

Total credits for sale: 635 shown (635 total)  (Average sale price: 7635)

(Hopefully we can stop making sweeping generalizations over fluctuations that last less than a RL day)

• Jarrod said:
    Omg guys it's clearly broken in the other direction now!!!!!1!

Total credits for sale: 635 shown (635 total)  (Average sale price: 7635)

(Hopefully we can stop making sweeping generalizations over fluctuations that last less than a RL day)
    Nope, it's already going back up, you're clearly blind!

Total credits for sale: 604 shown (604 total)  (Average sale price: 7681)

• 7660 COME ON BABY.

• I think the credit promo + city credit sales has just as much to do should the credit prices be dropping this month. I'm pro any effort to remove speculation from CFS though.
  • There hasn't been much overt change over the month, probably some though. It's been pretty close to 8500 since a few weeks after the DR 'fix', a few hundred in either direction at times.

• I like Cooper's point about a possible bonus once the DR cap has been reached to appease the small playerbase percentage that enjoys bashing relentlessly. 

Maybe a tiny experience bonus(10-15%), so those that invested in bashing arties/talismans don't feel complètement gimp eduard

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I like Cooper's point about a possible bonus once the DR cap has been reached to appease the small playerbase percentage that enjoys bashing relentlessly. 

Maybe a tiny experience bonus(10-15%), so those that invested in bashing arties/talismans don't feel complètement gimp eduard

I'd prefer an increased chance for talisman drops, honestly. After dragon, who really cares about experience?
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Karren said:
    I like Cooper's point about a possible bonus once the DR cap has been reached to appease the small playerbase percentage that enjoys bashing relentlessly. 

I'd prefer an increased chance for talisman drops, honestly. After dragon, who really cares about experience?
    After elder, most don't care about talismans. The Azatlan ones are only available on outer islands, meaning they're awkward to get to, so only the truly dedicated bother to go for them and three of the seven are minipets and one is a sacrificial dagger (having said that, I'm 98% of the way to completing all seven)

The suggestion that most interests me in this thread is the one regarding more talismans available from bashing, even if they only give a temporary effect. Just make the temporary effect worthwhile, otherwise it'll be another wasted opportunity.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."