Breaking Credit Market

Comments

• Skye said:
    Tahquil said:
    Remove credits for lessons. Have lessons purchasable purely by gold. People can then still earn lessons via IG means and the credit market will be relegated to the optional extras of life such as artefacts and customisations.

Because of multiclass, credits for lessons is, unfortunately, probably one of the biggest reasons for buying credits OOC or IG at this point. Divorcing lessons from credits is pretty unlikely to happen especially if coupled with turning lessons into a purely IG commodity.

One way to make credit prices drop would simply be to remove the ability to make credit transactions between players and force them to use the market for quick gold. A lot of us still sit on credits because they're treated as the safest mode of transaction. Admin (seem to) take disputes more seriously if they involve transfer of credits and players use this as some sort of insurance. 
    Sell credits, get gold, buy lessons. However I thinking about it this may tank the credit market like a sack of shit.
  • Sarathai said:
    Skye said:
    Admin (seem to) take disputes more seriously if they involve transfer of credits and players use this as some sort of insurance. 
    I prefer them because they're easier to transfer around.

Only somewhat relevant: That's exactly how the in-game currency in Starmourn works, for the reasons you mention.
  • edited August 2016
    I didn't know about diminishing returns.

So I can't level up to dragon and bash up more than 160k gold a day? Seriously?

I mean I couldn't anyway since I work too much, but I was planning on trying to get a million every weekend. Got to try and recoup the retarded amount of gold I've spent on skilling up Armoursmithing to Legendary. I know I'll get some of it back from selling Embrasures but... eh. Doubt I'll get all of it back.
  • @Sarapis you know, this is looking like eternal earth all over again? Eternal Earth: flurries in space DLC.
  • Devran said:
    I didn't know about diminishing returns.

So I can't level up to dragon and bash up more than 160k gold a day? Seriously?
    Yes, you can. You can bash up to about 250k gold/day before hitting the hardcap. 

• @Sarapis maybe you have a tighter reign on numbers than the rest of us because you know when the changes were made "meaningful," but how do you rectify regulating the credit market by limiting gold supply when large things have recently been converted to gold sinks (Ships/housing being the obvious examples)? I mean, 250k gold a day is good, but you're still talking for dragons at average levels 30-40k an hour so 8+ hours to hit the cap then it's 20+ days to afford a ship that can actually fire a weapon then dump on the exorbitant costs of weapons, figureheads, ammo, etc. You need like probably a good 250 hours of straight hunting at dragon (without considering even costs of curatives and existing as a character in the meantime) to get a basically stocked strider, which with the elimination of any combat effectiveness of cutters is even a remotely worthwhile purchase as a gold sink. Now combine that to be a "good" basher you need items that require hundreds of hours of bashing or hundreds of dollars in investment. Your model is quickly becoming ridiculously unattractive to me as someone who has played since I was fifteen. I would never get into this game with the current market. I'm an addict with responsibilities and things that I love about it. It's a wonderful fucking game, and my favorite game that I've ever played, but I think you've gotten pretty greedy as to what is required as a buy in of new players or experienced players. I know that I don't know the numbers and stats that you have, and maybe you can't find a workable model, but the amount of work it takes to attain some of the features in Achaea is absurd, and I really don't like it.
  • @Jinsun I'm not sure how a gold cap hurts the new players. In theory, as they have the least capacity to earn gold, they benefit from this the most.
  • Why isn't the gold cap tiered by level? I can see why those level 130+ or even 125+ are able to generate an absurd amount of gold, but the people on lower levels are paying the price. A gold cap seems reasonable, but maybe it should be adjusted so those of us who were never making ridiculous amounts to begin with aren't the ones paying the price. 

Sub-Level 109: Unlimited gold generation
    Levels 110 - 115: 500,000 gold a day
    Levels 116 - 120 400,000 gold a day
    Levels 121 - 125 300,000 gold a day
    Levels 126+ 250,000

That being said, although there is still a hard gold cap, lets assume credits fall down to 7500 or so, one can still bash 400 credits an Achaean year which I think is quite fair. 
  • Greys said:
    @Jinsun I'm not sure how a gold cap hurts the new players. In theory, as they have the least capacity to earn gold, they benefit from this the most.
    My comment is on the general transactional schema of Achaea. I remember being 15 and reading credit prices thinking "I can never afford half of this stuff." Then I remember getting a job and thinking "I can afford some of this!" Then I remember more and more stuff, new content and promotions every month (which is an awesome thing!) and thinking "I am so behind on buying 'stuff' why the fuck do I put money in this?" If I were coming into this game in my twenties, I feel like my mindset would be "Why would I buy imaginary stuff at -that- price?" and if I tried to bash for it, eventually getting to dragon to make "the good gold" but I knew it was already capped, I'd say "why would I bother?" I think it's a reality that some of us feel, granted some of you would blow your last paycheck on this place, and I think at somepoint it should be faced.
  • Aesgar said:
    Why isn't the gold cap tiered by level?
    Because that would literally punish people for gaining experience?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Player housing, to me, isn't actually living up to its potential as a gold sink. The decision to bottleneck the rate at which one can build a house by using commodities was frankly a bit silly. If housing credits were a direct gold->housing credit conversion, so many more of us would be flushing that much more gold out of the system that much more quickly. 

If they had done that instead of punishing home builders by raising the price for room title and description edits (10k to fix a typo? Really?) we might have seen a bigger and more noticeable shift in the market for people looking to raise a castle in a hurry. 

• @Jinsun But the gold cap only keeps certain members of the community from hoarding the credits. The supply of credits should not be affected. Instead, it gives more of an opportunity to the more casual players. Also, you can still gain gold via interactions with other people (selling reagents, etcetera). So, its just capping the rewards of a mostly solo activity. 
  • I know it's been stated numerous numerous numerous times but.  Gold for Lessons seems like KIND of the logical choice (with it being slightly cheaper for people that don't have that many lessons invested)...  But, uh.

After getting the credit prices back down to a reasonable number (8000), they've been staying there steady and selling.  THANKFULLY it hasn't gone up, because people know that no one will really want to buy it at that price... Though, the best time to buy credits is during a gold auction... and to sell righttttttttttt after.  Or you know, when some new artefact comes out that everyone is clammoring for (Hi Artefact Armour).
  • Sarapis said:
    Cooper said:
    Sarapis said:
    Jarrod said:
    The trend before the cap was continually upward. The cap after was continually downward. You can argue that other things impacted the change more, but you can't argue the change.

Correct.
    Not correct. The average on May 2nd, the day the cap was implemented, was at 8k or very slightly under it.

May 2nd was when the change was officially announced. Early July is when it actually became meaningful, due to an oversight in the code that was rectified as almost nobody was hitting the cap. Virtually immediately thereafter, the price began to drop. 

I have no idea why you have such a hard time with the basic, virtually indisputable concept that reducing the supply of something increases its value. You can look around the world (real or virtual) and see a billion examples of this in practice. Why you think Achaea's gold supply is any different beats me, but it's not. 

Then say early July, not when it was implemented, because those are two very different things.

I don't have a problem with basic supply and value. I don't really know why you think I do either, I've never said anything about decreasing sold supply reducing it's value.

My problems are things (or attitudes) that you've said. Pretty much all of which have been resolved as of now.

Are you sure the gold cap is at 250k right now? Last I was told it was at 160-180k, though you might be distinguishing between diminishing returns and a straight cap.

• I just thought it was amusing I got zapped for selling credits too cheap.

This was supposed to be a: "Haha Zulah you're a crazy dumbass" sorta post. My bad. ; :/
  • Cooper said:
    Are you sure the gold cap is at 250k right now? Last I was told it was at 160-180k, though you might be distinguishing between diminishing returns and a straight cap.
    Saturation kicks in at 160k exactly. Tested that a few times now.

It drops down to like 10% or less after about 240-250k.
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."

• Tiered gold cap still disadvantages the lower tiers in buying credits, auctions, whatever else Sarapis said
  • I just struggle with the logic behind building a system that is trying to handicap the people who are capable of playing for 6 hours a day over those who can only play 2 hours a day. Which in essence is what your doing with this system.  Different people play for different reasons, some only play to hunt for gold to better their character, but your demotivating them to spend extended hours in the game.  Whilst I agree with the theory behind lowering gold into the system to help moderate credit prices, I think the long term impact of the change will likely be worse than the intention.

When I first started playing the whole 'free to play' was definitely a big factor in my decision, simply because I could see how it was still possible to pick up artefacts over time through effort.  I'm less convinced that its possible now, so I'd honestly struggle to explain to anyone entering into the game at this point that they could earn those artefacts eventually without spending a heap of cash.  I know the idea is that they do spend a heap of cash, and some will because they want the quick fix, but without the additional freeloaders and tight arses you lose the community and motivation for the big spenders to stick around.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    If you had a flat advantage over others @Seragorn, I would agree with your point.

However, the people who consistently bash for hours on end (a lot of which do so without much effort, but that's beside the point) don't just have more gold than those who can't. You're working the same limited supply of credits, which means they have to compete with people with those ridiculous reserves of gold that they're generating for the same credits. People who used that to repost credits higher simply compounded the problem. So, because of people generating obscene amounts of gold on the higher end, the people on the lower end experience a significant disadvantage, and have to pay significantly more than they would otherwise. And it's not like you don't have the advantage after the cap. Show me one level 80 that can bash up 250k in a 24 hour period, much less 6-8. At current prices, that's more than thirty credits a day. With the cap. I wish I could bash up enough gold for a veil over two months. And I don't have a clue how it has a negative impact on the people who spend money on credits at all, much less in any significant way that would outweight he benefits of the cap.

If everyone were in that top-tier, it wouldn't be a problem.

If nobody was in that top-tier, it wouldn't be a problem.

If you've got people in both situations, it's a problem.

Clueless rambling over. Enjoy the rants.
    Huh. Neat.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Daeir said:
    Also: if you have to rely on the threat of administrative punishment for "bug" (?????) abuse to stop people from breaking the system, it shouldn't ever have reached production in the first place.
    There's oversights in every system. It's a pretty common policy to take administrative action when people are exploiting those oversights for their own benefit (or in this case to just screw around and make CFS unuseable). Idk why you'd expect absolutely everything to be bug-free, that's simply not realistic.
    Huh. Neat.
  • @Ahmet, I agree, that's why my suggested solution was to deflect the need for everything (lessons in particular) to be reliant on credits only.  I'm mainly trying to point that's its almost impossible to attempt to balance the system so that everyone gets fair shot at the credits available.  The problem here is that people who are accumulating gold better than the others will always pay higher than the average for credits when its the only thing to spend their gold on..

If I'm sitting on 3 million gold because I've been trying to do the right thing and not buy credits, but the price isn't dropping, eventually I just buy the credits anyway because 'papa wants a new class bby', and all those other people who were holding off get screwed even further.  Multiclass has compounded this problem because people like me who want that extra class (at 4 like I am now) will drain 2500 credits off the market for the sole purpose of converting them into lessons, and if there's nothing else for me to spend that gold on, there's no motivation for me to wait for credit prices to drop, they might not, and I might end up spending more.  Hence its my focus because I realise that I am part of the problem, and this is the only solution that seems both obvious and logical.

I also don't see the negative from IRE's side, because someone who wants to get that extra class right now will still need to buy credits from the web site, and has the option of converting direct to lessons, or help put downward pressure on CFS by way of selling for gold then converting to credits.

Some then argue 'but people will just buy their lessons with gold thus not help support IRE by buying credits', hate to say it but those people are already doing that, they're just forced to do it by way of converting gold to credits first, then to lessons, which is where all the needless upward pressure is coming from.

Its not going to crash CFS either because there is still a high need from people who want to buy artefacts over lessons with their credits, and they will be putting upward pressure on CFS.

I'm sure there must be a good argument as to why it wont work, but I still haven't really heard it.

• Daeir said:
    I feel like this was an exceptionally clumsy attempt to fix a problem that would (and has been successfully in other online games) be solved by simply introducing a percentage "broker" fee on using the CFS system. Have a portion of that fee vanish into the ether and suddenly you have a major gold sink on a frequently used in-game system as well as preventing speculation from driving prices far above their natural cap.

I mentioned this before, but whatever.

Also: if you have to rely on the threat of administrative punishment for "bug" (?????) abuse to stop people from breaking the system, it shouldn't ever have reached production in the first place.

One solution doesn't fit all. A transaction fee would absolutely work if all credit transactions could only take place via the market. This isn't the case. Punishing someone for using the prefered method while the other methods stay cost-free is poor design in the context of Achaea.

Consider for example. Let's use an MMO example that has 30000 average players. That's a very respectable number. Say you were selling your sword of ultimate annihilation on the market, and selling it would result in a 3% transaction fee. There's an alternative though. You could go and market it yourself. However, that simply isn't worth it with that kind of playerbase. You're not only paying for the selling vehicle, you're paying for exposure to a vast group of people you simply would not have access to in a timely manner if you went around trying to sell it on an individual basis.

With Achaea on the other hand, reaching the vast majority of the playerbase simultaneously is trivial. We even have the market channel to facilitate that exact thing. You're not paying for exposure because if you're attempting to liquidate credits you have a direct channel to your entire customer base. The credit market is basically a convenience feature. If it ceases to be convenient, people will not use it.

• edited August 2016
    I sorta seeing the DR returns as a version of golf handicaps. Yes some people are better and more efficient at hit balls/getting gold. It's all about trying to level the playing field and trying to make all the people who play roughly hit the same mark at the end of the game/day/month.
  • I flat out don't agree. Someone should be able to bash up as much as they want as hard as they want without breaking any rules.

The argument comes down to "We don't have the time to dedicate to anti cheating systems." That's not a good enough excuse to simply limit EVERYBODY because someone MIGHT be autobashing. That's bad game design.

I say this respectfully to @Sarapis and the other staff. Please don't let my words come across as personal as they are not intended to.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Hate this thread... Damn it @Zulah

• It doesn't limit everyone though. Only those that, yes, can spend 6 hours bashing.
    Makarios or Sarapis would have the numbers of how many people log in for more than X timeframe a day vs how many actually hit DR, and how many hit the cap.
  • Tahquil said:
    It doesn't limit everyone though. Only those that, yes, can spend 6 hours bashing.
    Makarios or Sarapis would have the numbers of how many people log in for more than X timeframe a day vs how many actually hit DR, and how many hit the cap.
    But the thing is if I CHOOSE to on the weekends do marathon bashing sessions, I am now no longer able to do that. That's poor design.
  • Devran said:
    Tahquil said:
    It doesn't limit everyone though. Only those that, yes, can spend 6 hours bashing.
    But the thing is if I CHOOSE to on the weekends do marathon bashing sessions, I am now no longer able to do that. That's poor design.
    A third option to this while leaving DR in place (assuming nobody will entertain the idea of raising it) is to raise the cap but also lengthen the period of time you can get it in. So, for example, rather than 160k to saturation levels every 24 hours, set it at 320k to saturation levels in 48 hours. You're still left with the same limit on how much gold that can be generated, but rather than needing people to log in on both days, those who might work a lot on day one and not have the time could log in on day two when they do have time and bash up to saturation levels in a big marathon session.

Not sure how that would work with the numbers that admin are likely looking at, or if it was considered and discarded for a reason I haven't thought of, but I figured I'd throw it out there.