Latest batch of seafaring changes!

Comments

• A rotating disc glides away from "Drowning Grace" at a flying sheilei, wreaking havoc across its 
    body.
    A flying sheilei is defeated and begins to sink to the depths.
    As a flying sheilei slowly sinks to the depths below, the crewmen swarm over the remnants, 
    retrieving 13 wardiscs and a golden sheilei scale for safe keeping on the ship's deck.

Also got a red septacean.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited June 2016
    I managed to hunt a few megalodoons and other Tapoa monsters without sinking. Which makes me happy.

But wow, between maintaining hull and shipwarning, I lost absolutely all my endurance for the first time in forever. And with just five monsters, too...

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I'm not totally convinced maintain hull actually does anything. It is heavily bugged in another sense, which I reported via BUG and won't go into here.

My concern is if they improve it even slightly, it'll just become the new hull gird in ship to ship battles. However the insanely high endurance drain will mean that only high level characters will be able to effectively use it. Meaning... higher character level will translate into better ship health and/or damage reduction, which I think is a terrible idea! In its current form though, I'm not sure its worth it.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Hullmaintenance hasn't changed, has it? It was working just fine before. A small but exceptionally useful bonus.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Isn't that the point of leveling? Having more health, mana, endurance, and willpower to do things with? 
  • Morthif said:
    Isn't that the point of leveling? Having more health, mana, endurance, and willpower to do things with? 
    I guess it really depends on what we want seafaring to be, but personally I don't like the idea of character stats directly translating into ship stats. A ship is an object, not an extension of my character. 

• Your ability to run around and patch up holes is not the same as ship health. And trust me, patching a hole in a sinking ship takes endurance. 
  • @Morthif Ok, I'll bite. What experience IRL has given you an personal appreciation for the rigors of such a task.
    It honestly seemed like a very minor buff to repairing for the freaking big drain. I'd favour making the drain even bigger, though, if it meant making the effect noticeable. Short but good sort of thing. 

• Greys said:
    @Morthif Ok, I'll bite. What experience IRL has given you an personal appreciation for the rigors of such a task.
    The USS Buttercup! It is/was the Navy"s training "ship" for how to patch a hull breach  No real danger but a pretty real experience minus the fear or adrenaline rush. 

I did JROTC in high school so we got to do a lot of cool shit with the Navy. 
  • edited June 2016
    @Morthif Where is the USS Buttercup? The fake ship the Navy uses for training (that I know of) is called the Trayer, in Great Lakes, IL.
  • Norfolk, Va
  • @Morthif Neat, I have a friend who does the underwater scuba repairs. Pays wicked well, no surprise.
  • @makarios @nicola : the website said the final batch of seafaring changes are live but ... but...  but ... Diving Communications are still restricted!

-puppy dog eyes-
  • Morthif said:
    Your ability to run around and patch up holes is not the same as ship health. And trust me, patching a hole in a sinking ship takes endurance. 
    It is hard to image a more ludicrous scene than a dragon, which by all rights should not even fit on the deck of a ship, running around patching holes with its super dragon endurance. 

Shirszae said:
    It honestly seemed like a very minor buff to repairing for the freaking big drain. I'd favour making the drain even bigger, though, if it meant making the effect noticeable. Short but good sort of thing. 
    As I said in my post I don't really know what it does, if anything. It definitely has no effect on repair speed though. Unless the effect is some kind of bonus to your shipmates which caps out at Elite XIII, in which case it would only be valuable at lower levels of crew experience. 

The general consensus seems to be that it is a very small damage reduction buff. Maybe. Seamonster damage is so wonky and random it is very hard to verify this. 
  • edited June 2016
    The endurance drain is from the dragon desperately trying to stay balanced perched on the railing of the ship to prevent its claws ripping more holes in the deck.
    I actually had another sailor, a Mhaldorian, mention their hull maintenance isn't really working at all either. I encouraged them to go ahead and bug it since it seems it's popping up across the board.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Smash your ship into the shore, turn on hull maint, watch your hull points go up.
  • Kinilan said:
    Smash your ship into the shore, turn on hull maint, watch your hull points go up.
    You know, I decided to just do that. 

Hull repair continues. The hull is now at 74% health.
    Hull repair continues. The hull is now at 75% health.
    Hull repair continues. The hull is now at 76% health.
    Hull repair continues. The hull is now at 77% health.

Each 1 point of repair took 8-11 cycles all the way back up to 100%. The endurance cost was basically everything I had at level 95.

• SHIP INFO gives you a better read on the repair rate as you can look at hull points.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    One thing to give you guys a heads up that I bugged. The other day I extended plank on another ship with perms but it was saying I didn't extend plank. 
  • Is there any possibility of getting some clarification on what the cooldown on ship trades implies?

Personal vs. Ships makes sense but does that mean you can only personally pick up one trade a month? Does it mean you can only turn in one trade a month? Does it mean you can turn them in on all different ships in one month or two or three months? 

I mean we can figure this out, ultimately, by trial and error but I wasn't sure if it was okay for that to be clearly made known.

RIP Mayan Crown trade deal.  

My crrrrrowns. :(

I really hope they re-do the crown trade in some fashion that still makes sense, or replace it with something equally amazing. I'm really sad about that. The trades were generally rare enough to not really influence the market too heavily.
  • @Saeva
    Previously the cooldown was per ship, so you could only take and complete one trade per  IC month period. This is how the trades marked with a SHIP cooldown currently function. Personal ones can only be completed by a single captain once, but the same ship could be used to complete multiple of these in a single IC month. A shiptrade that is both personal and ship (these are relatively rare) combines both.
  • The crown deals I had on a few ships went poof! That's what I get for epic procrastination.
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    @Nicola

I think you've been getting a number of issues/bugs/forumrage on this, but since it wasn't mentioned in the update, I'm curious what were the 'measures' that have been taken regarding salvage-sinking. Supposedly something had been done to address this 'oversight', but Artanis was still doing it as recent as 12 hours ago.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Skye said:
    @Nicola

I think you've been getting a number of issues/bugs/forumrage on this, but since it wasn't mentioned in the update, I'm curious what were the 'measures' that have been taken regarding salvage-sinking. Supposedly something had been done to address this 'oversight', but Artanis was still doing it as recent as 12 hours ago.
    Has someone bothered issuing him in the meantime?

• There are a number of what we consider to be 'wrecks' around the oceans, these are ships that are long sunk and forgotten outside of the occasional trainee crew who raise them for target practice. Raising these is fine. The oversight that was fixed now requires a salvaged ship to make it to harbour before it can be plundered once more.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Also (for the benefit of people who will argue that 'admin never said I couldn't') what about a more public statement of salvaging non-wreckages for the purpose of sinking them again?