Latest batch of seafaring changes!

Comments

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Sena said:
    Aerek said:
    If all you want to do is generate gold, there are always going to be cheaper/more efficient ways to do that. Monster hunting is group PVE, an exciting team activity that brings folks together in a unique setting that ALSO happens to pay in gold if you're good at it.
    Why does it have to be that way, though? Would it really be a problem if seafaring offered one of the best gold generating activities?
    Absolutely not, and again, I'm not saying it shouldn't. If you guys want to buff Taopa, North Sapphire, and Phocian critters so that I can haul in 300k an hour, I'm absolutely not going to argue with that. I don't think that's at all a reasonable expectation, but I'm absolutely not gonna argue with it. The only argument going on here is about risk:reward in the L1 zones. "Hunting" in those zones is basically AFK fishing, it takes zero effort, comes at zero risk, and you can do it for hours on end. Remember when deep sea fishing first came out? Remember when it was nerfed because people were farming ludicrous amounts of gold doing it? Same thing. If all you want to put into seafaring is minimal effort, you're going to get minimal reward.

I want Seafaring to be lucrative. Personally, I think it is lucrative if you go out and hunt big monsters; I'm just learning that apparently some folks feel that 30-40k/hr is "not worth it", which blows my mind. Seafaring is already an activity where a level 60 with enough Seafaring to shoot a weapon can make as much as Dragon hunting. (As much as I make hunting anyway, but apparently I'm a pleb) I don't think it's a reasonable expectation to want Seafaring to be an activity where that level 60 can make as much as someone looping Annwyn with several thousand dollars of artefacts in tow. I'm not going to say the Admin can't do that, I'm just saying you shouldn't hold your breath.

I'd love to see L2-L4 monsters' gold buffed. I'd love to see the 20min cap on L1s removed, just so I can go Cutter hunt them without getting bored, even if the gold's not great. I'd love to see other ways to earn gold at sea that attracted people to sail. That's all great. I just don't want to "lucrative" to mean "effortless farming", because that just encourages people to AFK fish or solo-grind Mysia, instead of embracing the team aspect of sailing.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • The problem of course is a level 60 with just a tiny bit of seafaring can't even shoot a weapon right now.
  • Cooper said:
    I don't understand people saying seafaring gold rewards are okay currently, or that they shouldn't be increased.

More skill than bashing
    More credit/lesson investment than bashing
    More time than bashing
    More coordination involved than bashing
    More upkeep than bashing

Being able to only pull 30-40k an hour if you're with 2 other people, or less if you aren't, after investing all that time and money in it is a bit silly. That said, I think the recent(ish) and recent nerfs to bashing were pretty silly too. "Hey, you know those guys who have spend a few thousand dollars on bashing arties? Let's nerf 'em so they can't generate gold as fast. Even though if they had just bought credits and sold them on market, 90%+ would have more gold."
    This. So much this.

Comparing gold generation at level 80 to seafaring simply because a level 80 can jump onto a ship and do it is silly. To expand upon the things Cooper listed, there is maintenance costs for weapons, supply costs, ammo costs, crew pay, tokens, maps, flags, equipment, lesson costs, factions you have to learn about and deal with... the list goes on and on. And if you want to own your ship for regular seamonstering, that is going to be 5-10 million, before the cost of ship equipment and ammo.

Then there is also the very real risk of getting plundered and sunk.

Anyone who makes that sort of investment deserves to earn more than mid level bashing for their trouble. It also gives a purpose to city ships and *gasp* city navies. It brings more people out to sea, thus giving the pirates more people to attack and the pirate hunters more pirates to fight. It is win/win for everybody.

(As an aside to Ahmet, I've dumped more money into my ships over the last year than the cost of a few low level dragon bashing arties, and I have already said I agree that fully decked out dragons should earn more. This includes a 500cr bait bucket and a 200cr ammo rack to achieve the rather lowly level of profits I was getting pre-change, which was well below dragon).
  • edited June 2016
    Cooper said:
    That said, I think the recent(ish) and recent nerfs to bashing were pretty silly too. "Hey, you know those guys who have spend a few thousand dollars on bashing arties? Let's nerf 'em so they can't generate gold as fast. Even though if they had just bought credits and sold them on market, 90%+ would have more gold."
    As far as I understand it, nobody has actually been affected by the most recent changes yet. Obviously they're not going to give out information on exactly how it works, but it seems like it looks at the amount of gold you've made over a long period of time, so you'd need to not only be making a high amount of gold per hour but doing it for a LOT of hours in a row.
    Aerek said:
    Personally, I think it is lucrative if you go out and hunt big monsters; I'm just learning that apparently some folks feel that 30-40k/hr is "not worth it", which blows my mind.
    It's not just gold (though that is a primary motivation, personally) but experience and essence, too, which makes hunting more attractive. I earn (far) more on all three counts hunting than I suspect I ever would killing sea monsters. There's also the ease of starting and stopping when I'm hunting. I can get everywhere I want to hunt in under a minute, and if I need to afk, leave entirely, or handle something else, I can do that immediately without worrying. Seafaring is too large a commitment to doing one single activity without a large enough reward to make it personally worthwhile.
  • The idea is something along the lines of taxing the 1% to protect the 99%. 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • As I have mentioned on other threads, it doesn't necessarily have to be a gold faucet (in fact doing so just makes it all the more clear how its an inefficient form of hunting). There are a slew of items that could be acquired at sea(pets, mounts, etcetera) which could be traded between adventurers. Just yeah the harbour trades are pretty poor when an avid mariner like Greys found only 1 within the past 2 years worth completing. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    That would mean perpetual extra-work for the admins to keep stuff fresh and as such would sooner than later go the way of hats that no one wants. I much prefer my gold faucet.

Related question: Is it legit to plunder a ship, sink it, then go back to salvage it, then repeat the cycle? Specially if the owner of said ship is actually dormant? Seems like a broken way to gain swashucklers experience. @Nicola, @Makarios.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Shirszae said:
    That would mean perpetual extra-work for the admins to keep stuff fresh and as such would sooner than later go the way of hats that no one wants. I much prefer my gold faucet.

Related question: Is it legit to plunder a ship, sink it, then go back to salvage it, then repeat the cycle? Specially if the owner of said ship is actually dormant? Seems like a broken way to gain swashucklers experience. @Nicola, @Makarios.

Ahhh, I see someone figured out what I was trying! I did it a few times to figure out what the cool-down on plundering was, and didn't actually want to resink (granted it would eventually sink on its own, anyway), but I couldn't figure out how to unhook! Some bugs I noted (and Bugged):

A ship that had long been at the bottom of the harbour has seemingly-permanent swashies on high alert.

Exp gained from plundering is virtually nonexistent (Not really a bug, just kinda sucky)

No way for the ship firing hookshot to untether (no tethers to chop) and SHIP DISENGAGE does not work as it is still based on the grapple mechanic.

SHIP DISENGAGE does not work alongside a ship because it is still based on the SHIP GRAPPLE mechanic. 

All in all, I tried it on a couple of downed ships, and only was able to plunder one because of the high alert issue, and I made 50 gold off of it and no exp.
  • I was under the impression that raising a ship with the intention of sinking it again (or allowing it to sink) was deemed illegal some time ago. A raised ship being sunk again means a totally annihilated crew with a complete loss of crew XP. It is also a really slippery way to side-step plunder limitations.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Anaria said:
    I was under the impression that raising a ship with the intention of sinking it again (or allowing it to sink) was deemed illegal some time ago. A raised ship being sunk again means a totally annihilated crew with a complete loss of crew XP. It is also a really slippery way to side-step plunder limitations.
    Fairly certain that neither ship that I tested on had a crew. They were very, very old ships, and neither really showed signs of a crew except for the high alert cool-down. It's not really a way to side-step plunder limitations considering that it doesn't side-step them. Also crew loss is entirely dependent on the number of tokens stored. You can still have -way- more than enough for a subsequent sink after the first sink. So, no it's not a total, automatic annihilation.
  • Jinsun said:
    You can still have -way- more than enough for a subsequent sink after the first sink. So, no it's not a total, automatic annihilation.
    Just as the attacker can keep raising the ship and sinking it until the token stores are exhausted. Plus the attacker has no way to know how many token stores the target has. Hence why it was deemed illegal.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Anaria said:
    Jinsun said:
    You can still have -way- more than enough for a subsequent sink after the first sink. So, no it's not a total, automatic annihilation.
    Just as the attacker can keep raising the ship and sinking it until the token stores are exhausted. Plus the attacker has no way to know how many token stores the target has. Hence why it was deemed illegal.
    No desire to -keep- doing it after testing. When was it deemed illegal, and more importantly, where? Though if you were just spam doing it, it would be obvious griefing.
  • edited June 2016
    Jinsun said:

No desire to -keep- doing it after testing. When was it deemed illegal, and more importantly, where? Though if you were just spam doing it, it would be obvious griefing.
    Some time ago, a certain pirate I wont name (he can name himself if he likes) raised Elone's ship the Prosperity over and over again only to sink it over and over again and wipe out her elite crew. Since then it has been generally understood that this activity is a no-no. It was also something Artanis used to make a career out of doing any time he couldn't find a convenient target when he was in the mood to shoot at something.

Regardless, this is something that needs a proper fix since the honour system really doesn't work. How about when a ship is salvaged with salvageops it is returned to its last harbour directly, instead of it being raised on the spot that it sank? This would be particularly helpful for people who don't have shipreturn set, since forceboarding is no longer an option, and it would make salvageops in a seamonster zone viable. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    @Anaria  You can still extend plank and cross plank to board a ship next to yours if you have permissions or are the captain of it.

Not that I disagree with making salvaged ships move automatically to the nearest harbour or something.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Anaria said:
    Jinsun said:

Some time ago, a certain pirate I wont name (he can name himself if he likes) raised Elone's ship the Prosperity over and over again only to sink it over and over again and wipe out her elite crew. Since then it has been generally understood that this activity is a no-no. It was also something Artanis used to make a career out of doing any time he couldn't find a convenient target when he was in the mood to shoot at something.

Regardless, this is something that needs a proper fix since the honour system really doesn't work. How about when a ship is salvaged with salvageops it is returned to its last harbour directly, instead of it being raised on the spot that it sank? This would be particularly helpful for people who don't have shipreturn set, since forceboarding is no longer an option, and it would make salvageops in a seamonster zone viable. 
    How would that make salvaging in seamonster zones viable? You'd still have to hold the ship completely still while trying to salvage, unless it sank in the super easy zone, most ships couldn't salvage. 

Also, if Ship Extend Plank was working properly (it presumably will be after bug fixes), you don't need forceboard to salvage and board a ship that you have perms on.

Lastly, as to the presumed rule, this has become kind of a problem in Achaea. There's been many "rules" that aren't listed in help files or news announces but are talked about, taken as common knowledge, and sometimes even enforced on issues (That part still boggles my mind). Granted raising a ship ad nauseum to sink it, like I said. would be obvious griefing. However, if it's a rule not to salvage an enemy ship to plunder -at all- it needs to be actually written somewhere that people can see before it is openly talked about or enforced. I think it's a fine rule, it just needs to actually be a rule and not hearsay.
  • Jinsun said:

How would that make salvaging in seamonster zones viable? You'd still have to hold the ship completely still while trying to salvage, unless it sank in the super easy zone, most ships couldn't salvage. 

Once the Salvaging ship defeats a seamonster, it has 10 minutes (or 20 in an L1 zone) to salvage a ship before another seamonster will appear. However, this timer is applied to an individual ship and not the zone itself. Seamonsters spawn in response to ship movement. If the salvaged ship drifts even slightly, a new monster will appear and attack it. The mere act of salvaging might be enough to cause this to immediately happen when the raised ship appears. The raised ship may be sunk again very quickly, and may have lost stores in its original sinking - meaning there is a risk of crew annihilation. Either way, the ship has to escape a zone that has already proven too much for it's captain without being sunk again, making it a very unattractive option to salvage by ship.

Jinsun said:

Lastly, as to the presumed rule, this has become kind of a problem in Achaea. There's been many "rules" that aren't listed in help files or news announces but are talked about, taken as common knowledge, and sometimes even enforced on issues (That part still boggles my mind).
    I am in complete agreement with the this statement and I also find it profoundly frustrating.
  • Jinsun, why didn't you just get a friend with a ship that you could test with? Then you'd get data from both sides of the plundering transaction.

A lot of these seafaring problems people are having seem to have a simple, common answer. Have friends.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I personally subscribe to the school of "if at any point even the thought that 'I am so going to get in trouble for this/God damn people are going to be pissed' crosses any part of my conscious or subconscious mind,  I probably shouldn't be doing it."

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    That's where I fell on it. Raising two separate crewless ships to test on them and sinking one once and one twice (Even while repeatedly asking on LDT "Is there really no way to untether from a ship?") then saying "Ok, I know what to bug." to me is a bit different from Raising someone's ship and sinking it until I am positive they have no crew left because fuck them, as described in @Anaria's story. To all the people who ascribe to the Jinsun should just play nice and make friends to test pool. I've been asking people pretty repeatedly on CT to work on ship stuff and Ashtan is a ghost town right now. Poor leadership combined with no patron for irl years while other cities get multiple patrons is really strangling that town. I also asked over pirates and tried to ask some Mhaldorians and have a couple of -hopeful- crewmembers.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited June 2016
    Most communities seem to use Wheaton's Law to cover the whole "presumed to be something you shouldn't be doing," and I can't say I disagree. If you're doing something with the intention of rigging the system to someone else's detriment, or you're doing something just to totally fuck someone's day up, it's a safe bet you're probably not going to be viewed favourably by the administration.

Tl;dr: Don't be a dick.

ETA Clarification: ^ In response to Jinsun's "mind boggling" rules bit, since I got ninja'd.
    Huh. Neat.
  • The owner has long since quit and has no fucks to give. If Jinsun wanted to game the system we'd line up all the PoM ships and "train" the crews off each other.

We break shit, we report it, it gets fixed. Put the pitchforks away kids.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Kinilan said:
    The owner has long since quit and has no fucks to give. If Jinsun wanted to game the system we'd line up all the PoM ships and "train" the crews off each other.

I was referring to Jinsun's post about the "implied rule" that you shouldn't salvage someone just to sink them for the sake of fucking over their crew, and how it "boggles his mind" that rules like these aren't explicitly stated but are still enforced. Wasn't calling him out for testing u.u.
    Huh. Neat.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    edited June 2016
    Ahmet said:
    Kinilan said:
    The owner has long since quit and has no fucks to give. If Jinsun wanted to game the system we'd line up all the PoM ships and "train" the crews off each other.

I was referring to Jinsun's post about the "implied rule" that you shouldn't salvage someone just to sink them for the sake of fucking over their crew, and how it "boggles his mind" that rules like these aren't explicitly stated but are still enforced. Wasn't calling him out for testing u.u.
    Well, I did point out numerous times that doing it repeatedly to fuck the crew would be a violation of help griefing. Obviously griefing someone and getting called for it does not boggle my mind. What does boggle my mind is there are several rules that are "unspoken" that are enforced in instances much less drastic. I have been popped before for killing someone and being in violation of a pk rule that was announced in another ruling like when Lathis was taking questions or was "understood" but was not listed in a rule, and to be honest not (understood) by everyone. I've landed on both sides of the fence with it where I've said "That's not actually been formally announced in the help files as part of the rule" and I've gotten a warning and had the file changed, and I've also had "That's part of the rule" and the help file was changed to reflect it after the issue and punishment.

edit: enforced not in forced. It's early, I'm tired.
  • Excuse him. He had to deal with "Cause" as a boy.
  • Sinking and raising to resink is clearly covered under the "Dont be a dick" rule though. 
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    edited June 2016
    Morthif said:
    Sinking and raising to resink is clearly covered under the "Dont be a dick" rule though. 
    Missed the part where they were very old, crewlsss ships and that the tether system was broke so I had to sink to get untethered, didn't you?

Your bug report (detail: some new bugs I noticed with the hookshots sorry did not mean to submit that. 1. Is there no way to untether when your ship has hookshotted someone? You can't chop from your own ship and ship disengage does not work. Also the SHIP EXTEND PLANK COMMAND still requires grappling, but you cannot grapple because of the new tether mechanic) - has been fixed. The following notes were included: Thank you, this has been implemented. The syntax is going to be SHIP DISENGAGE once this goes live, and it will be used to simultaneously clear all tethered hookshots fired into other ships.

Edit: edited to fix mobile copypasta 
  • I'm not saying it applied here just where the implied rule is covered. 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Salvaging a ship with another ship should not move it to the nearest harbour. There's a harbour option for this for a reason. Now, it -would- be nice if there were some conditions (not bloody stationhold) which determine if a ship could be salvaged.

A Cutter being able to salvage anything else but a Cutter is bloody ridiculous. How is that even managed? There's not enough bulk of the ship to provide the buoyancy, nor the capable crew size to accomplish such a thing. Galleys should be able to salvage any ship, Striders should be able to salvage Striders and Cutters, and Cutters should be able to salvage Cutters.

Additionally, with tethers working to slow ships dependent on certain situations, it would be great to have the ability to salvage and then tow a ship to a harbour.

Also, there are a couple of ships which have eternally been housed at the sea floor, dredged up when necessary for testing or training purposes. They were used well before the time of the Sea Arenas and until their owners rise from their watery graves to claim them once more, there is no reason why these ancient and abandoned vessels can't still be put to some use in the meantime.

It's easy enough to say "get a friend with another ship and test things out", but it's much more difficult to orchestrate in game with variance of play times and a general lack of interest in seafaring, which frankly is something that has always plagued Ashtan, and every city in varying degrees. At the end of the day, sometimes you have to make due with what you have instead of waiting for someone to come along and show as much interest as you.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    People need to quit bitching at Jinsun for raising a derelict ship and then sinking it. Unless it was your ship, you can go ahead and get off that pedestal you built yourself and be glad that he didn't decide to test on your ship.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • And deprive our community SJWs of making fools of themselves? Mosr no :(