The Bal'met event

Comments

• Has the demigod bit worn off yet? I was at CC in Cyrene soon afterwards and Lynara dropped three Holobombs on us. I honestly wish, as cool as it was, that it had just disappeared soon afterwards for various reasons...
  • @Lynara is kind of a tool. Don't let it get to you. It's at the point where, if we have the abilities, they're only at expert - you're safe to come in.
  • I think I must have been lagging more than most people, because I started off absolutely psyched and about halfway in was like "I should just QQ". It was bad enough that I did not even really contribute.

I remember sending some Tekura combos at Keresis, but the attacks weren't going through. I just kept trying different attacks and they all came through literally ten minutes later and kept firing until she was dead. I had to close Mudlet to stop sending the command.

I loved the start and end but mechanical issues just ruined most of it for me. (And I still appreciate how much work went into the event -- the fate Sarapis consigned himself to seems infinitely more terrifying than the Achaean version of death)

More importantly, got through the entire event without dying to any Dala'myrr/Ormyrr. They aren't that tough, guys. 
  • I hope the admins didn't plan on leaving the refugees to disperse.
  • The lag was bad, yeah, but it wasn't so bad once you understood it.

Achaea was basically grouping up commands and sending them through all at once in the order you sent them (sort of like aeon works in Aetolia if you're familiar with that, though with delays between everything). If you hit stormhammer 5 times, it would stormhammer 5 times over X seconds. If you hit drink health 5 times, it would take the same amount of time as those 5 stormhammers give or take a second or two.

• Wow, just wow. Nothing I do will ever top being a freaking demi-god. Thank you to everyone involved. Amazing.
  • Even once I understood how I could get attacks off, I'd have to send the commands then go do something else from 5 - 10 minutes (before the attacks started landing) and if I wanted to send attacks consecutively I'd have to just hit the command a bunch then go AFK.

Like, I went to eat a slice of pizza when we were killing Keresis because it's not like I was capable of reacting to anything anyway.
  • Tvistor said:
    Even once I understood how I could get attacks off, I'd have to send the commands then go do something else from 5 - 10 minutes (before the attacks started landing) and if I wanted to send attacks consecutively I'd have to just hit the command a bunch then go AFK.

Like, I went to eat a slice of pizza when we were killing Keresis because it's not like I was capable of reacting to anything anyway.
    It was the same with me, Tvistor. I watched as I was slowly but surely taken down by a Dala'myrr without being able to move a muscle. I saw a lot of adventurers landing a lot of hits seemingly unaffected by the lag. I'm wondering if all the things SVO was doing was actually hindering me in this instance. Maybe too many actions like "light pipes", smoking, apply mass etc filling up the queue.

Don't get me wrong, I found these series of events the most wonderful thing ever to happen in Achaea. Just frustrating to be a demigod and stand there like a stunned mullet :D

• edited December 2012
    I had lag problems, but only by around five seconds. It soon became clear that Achaea was batching commands and I worked around it. Sorry to hear that some people had it far, far worse. Must have sucked. :(

I love the fact that the story still has many, many loose ends to tie-up! Makes things more interesting. The RP opportunities this has opened up are incredible.

A request to the admin: Many years ago, it seemed that once a year there would be a mega-event to look forward to. Something on the scale we have just seen is only possible once every few centuries or so, but reverting back to the once-a-year-mega-event formula would bring so much life back into the game. :)
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • Lodi said:
    I had lag problems, but only by around five seconds. It soon became clear that Achaea was batching commands and I worked around it. Sorry to hear that some people had it far, far worse. Must have sucked. :(

I love the fact that the story still has many, many loose ends to tie-up! Makes things more interesting. The RP opportunities this has opened up are incredible.

A request to the admin: Many years ago, it seemed that once a year there would a mega-event to look forward. Something on the scale we have just seen is only possible once every few centuries or so, but reverting back to the once-a-year-mega-event formula would bring so much life back into the game. :)
    Dude, come on... let them take a load off after the Bal'met event before we start the next round of demands..?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sarapis said:
    Halos said:
    Azor said:
    Maya was saying she'll have a mortal life--is there going to be a mortal Maya char or denizen or something? Or do we just picture her quietly retiring in obscurity?
    Deucalion said "Use your powers for good. Go raid." We raided. A bit clumsily, but it felt good getting out and abusing all those cool powers. We died quickly of course. Prayed.

Looks about the same. Maya still there. Huge. Dispassionate. Chatty.

Who is in charge now that Maya gave up Godhood and Sarapis has departed to watch over the Fire Behind The Flame (FBTF)?

Nobody. It's all Lord of the Flies up in that universe now. ;)
    That is what worries me :P. Already the Divine in Achaea tend to have the mentality that they are in command of the cities and orgs (and players part of them) they are part of, with the concept of "No restraint" in how far they can go, makes me worry a bit about the future.
  • Sylvance said:
    Lodi said:

A request to the admin: Many years ago, it seemed that once a year there would a mega-event to look forward. Something on the scale we have just seen is only possible once every few centuries or so, but reverting back to the once-a-year-mega-event formula would bring so much life back into the game. :)
    Dude, come on... let them take a load off after the Bal'met event before we start the next round of demands..?
    I don't mean for them to do it, like, now this very moment. :)
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • Asmodron said:
    Sarapis said:
    Halos said:
    Azor said:
    Maya was saying she'll have a mortal life--is there going to be a mortal Maya char or denizen or something? Or do we just picture her quietly retiring in obscurity?
    Deucalion said "Use your powers for good. Go raid." We raided. A bit clumsily, but it felt good getting out and abusing all those cool powers. We died quickly of course. Prayed.

Who is in charge now that Maya gave up Godhood and Sarapis has departed to watch over the Fire Behind The Flame (FBTF)?

That is what worries me :P. Already the Divine in Achaea tend to have the mentality that they are in command of the cities and orgs (and players part of them) they are part of, with the concept of "No restraint" in how far they can go, makes me worry a bit about the future.
    But they are in charge... they're Gods...
  • Well of course people started zapping each other. Making Achaeans Demigods is just like giving roman candles to high school students.

Tvistor said:

eprogkeprogksepromglsdfmg
    Come now, you don't really mean that.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Lodi said:
    Asmodron said:
    Sarapis said:
    Halos said:
    Azor said:

They're Gods, engimatic beings that are generally the representation of a realm. In realistic terms Gods shouldnt even see mortal affairs as important to have a hand in. I like the approach more of a God remaining  an engimatic mysterious being that is 'believed' to exist and prayers are sent to, rather than ones that shout provocations back and forth across the land and involve themselves in player lives.
  • Lodi said:
    Asmodron said:
    Lodi said:
    Asmodron said:
    Sarapis said:
    Halos said:
    Azor said:

They're Gods, engimatic beings that are generally the representation of a realm. In realistic terms Gods shouldnt even see mortal affairs as important to have a hand in. I like the approach more of a God remaining  an engimatic mysterious being that is 'believed' to exist and prayers are sent to, rather than ones that shout provocations back and forth across the land and involve themselves in player lives.
    No way. Its healthier for the IG environment if the Gods (or denizens controlled by them) interact with us mortals often and regularly. Also, there are plenty of myths from all across the world, telling of how Gods got mixed up in mortal affairs because they saw them as being important (or entertaining).
    I guess I dont see it as good IG for gods to zap and push around players with curses and such for pretty much anything, for the game environment :P.

And hot damn we are are making a quote train!
  • You're playing the wrong MUD then, tbh.

• Silas said:
    You're playing the wrong MUD then, tbh.
    You might have a point there actually. I guess it is Dreams of DIVINE lands :P.
  • edited December 2012
    @Asmodron: I can kind of see your point if the Gods where regularly abusing their powers. But I've hardly seen them do that. Sadly, it does happen, but only very rarely.

Some of the best things about this event are the God/mortal interactions that happened during it and will come about after it.

Years ago the Gods used to often post on the public news boards, squabble with each other and interact with mortals far more than they have been of late. I miss those times! Hopefully this event is a sign of things to come.

• As an aside: please remove Aeon from HELP GODS? He's at least as gone as Eris, and the asymmetry is making my teeth itch.

Plus, need to remove references to HELP PENTAD from HELP SARAPIS, HELP MAYA. Much love.

• Big love to the Gods! You guys rock. :)

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2012
    @Silas, careful with scratching your teeth. I hear that lessens tooth enamel.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • From an IC perspective, the lag does kinda make sense, what with Aeon's sacrifice and all. You'd expect time to be a bit messed up.
  • Silas said:
    As an aside: please remove Aeon from HELP GODS? He's at least as gone as Eris, and the asymmetry is making my teeth itch.

Plus, need to remove references to HELP PENTAD from HELP SARAPIS, HELP MAYA. Much love.
    I'd say he's about as far gone as Lorielan also. Either of them could potentially show back up at some point.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Lodi said:
    From an IC perspective, the lag does kinda make sense, what with Aeon's sacrifice and all. You'd expect time to be a bit messed up.

Sure. But as a player it was about as fun as having the New York Nicks run a train on me to the sound of the Birdie Song. The lag, that is, not the event. And, as ever ICness should never come at the cost of immersion. 5 minutes of lag didn't have me thinking about Aeon much.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • @Sylvance: 5 minutes... wow! I only got five seconds...