The Bal'met event

Comments

• Maya was saying she'll have a mortal life--is there going to be a mortal Maya char or denizen or something? Or do we just picture her quietly retiring in obscurity?
  • Azor said:
    Maya was saying she'll have a mortal life--is there going to be a mortal Maya char or denizen or something? Or do we just picture her quietly retiring in obscurity?
    I'd bet on the latter, personally. Having an IG denizen representation of Maya just spells messy plot lines along with people making pilgrimages to kiss her feet.
  • edited December 2012
    Tanris said:
     Sure it was laggy, but you had over 100 people in one room at points spamming their bashing macro, you can't really expect anything else. 
    Hrm, actually that sounds like an argument against how they did it. If they didn't expect that kind of lag, I have no issues with it. They planned an awesome event and it didn't work out perfectly from a technical point of view. But if they actually expected that to happen, they probably should have done the whole thing differently, with less player involvement.

The disappointing thing was that the epic potential of the event couldn't really be felt as such (at least by me), since it was deeply hidden behind all kinds of mechanical issues that obstructed it. There can simply be no real immersion in a story when the story appears in the shape of a broken gramophone record.

I however do not believe they anticipated quite those levels of lag, so I'm not blaming anyone. They could not have known how precisely it would turn out, since it's an event of a scale that's probably unprecedented. It was courageous of them to do something in this order of magnitude, for which I'm very grateful.
  • I'm just sad I didn't get to assist putting Tarah to rest and that I still don't have my House rebuilt (grumble). Also wondering where the heck SycsomethingfatherofdragonsIcan'tspellforthelifeofme

• Epic!  Awesome!  Well I have to say I had a great time.  I originally wasn't going to come (I'm in the event starts at 4 am crowd), then I thought ... OKAY, bite the bullet, admit to the family that yes I really am going to wake up in the middle of the night for an online game, because I just have to see it with my own eyes.

And it was fun.  Great dialogue (I'll have to read the logs again, it was going so fast), and a chance to, just for a little while, taste a bit of power beyond our ken.  It was cool to play around, create my own spiritshields, phase ... likely the only time I will ever phase ...

And the honours line!  I thought that was fantastic.  Of course we can't stay demigods but it is nice to keep a tiny something to remember the event.  Thanks a whole lot to everyone who put it together!
  • Yea, only thing that bugged me about the finale was the absence of Sycaerunax, figured he'd be somehow involved. I also figured more gods would die than those who did.

• ok so does anyone guess when a lot of these questions after the war will be answered like what about the refugees of Shallam?
    imageimage
  • Seeing how I was lost and couldn't get back into Nishatoba(sp?) because didn't know where the portal was at the time, I'm glad I got to be in a cool battle to save achaea from Bal'met.
  • All in all, I thought it was a great finale.  Yeah, the lag MURDERED me and my future children, but I expected that when the battle started.  200 people in one place sending the same command? It's gonna happen.  And a few people behaving like asshats on the Gods channel and during the battle?  That's gonna happen, too.

This did what any great event should do: got everyone involved, gave them something epic to do, and - bonus - gave us a reward for it! Even with my limited experience, I got to fight with the Gods and wail on ZombiePentharian, ZombieTarah, and a crapton of Dala'myrr, with people from Mhaldor at my side, which is IC-crazy and OOC-awesome.  Probably the last time I'll be in a room with Mhaldorian characters and HELPING them kill something.  Y'know, unless it's little orc children, 'cause screw those guys.

And not a hell of a lot is going to beat being a Demigod: I've harvested, phased, have an Angel by my side, tried every wormhole I could find...it's awesome.

So, thank you @Sarapis and company!  This was a lot of fun!

• Iocun said:
    Tanris said:
     Sure it was laggy, but you had over 100 people in one room at points spamming their bashing macro, you can't really expect anything else. 
    Hrm, actually that sounds like an argument against how they did it. If they didn't expect that kind of lag, I have no issues with it. They planned an awesome event and it didn't work out perfectly from a technical point of view. But if they actually expected that to happen, they probably should have done the whole thing differently, with less player involvement.

The disappointing thing was that the epic potential of the event couldn't really be felt as such (at least by me), since it was deeply hidden behind all kinds of mechanical issues that obstructed it. There can simply be no real immersion in a story when the story appears in the shape of a broken gramophone record.

I however do not believe they anticipated quite those levels of lag, so I'm not blaming anyone. They could not have known how precisely it would turn out, since it's an event of a scale that's probably unprecedented. It was courageous of them to do something in this order of magnitude, for which I'm very grateful.
    We definitely did not anticipate that kind of lag.
  • Shunsui said:
    Yea, only thing that bugged me about the finale was the absence of Sycaerunax, figured he'd be somehow involved. I also figured more gods would die than those who did.
    Yeah, that was kind of an oversight on our part, frankly. We had so much stuff to do nobody realized we had forgotten to write him in until after it was over.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Azor said:
    Maya was saying she'll have a mortal life--is there going to be a mortal Maya char or denizen or something? Or do we just picture her quietly retiring in obscurity?
    Deucalion said "Use your powers for good. Go raid." We raided. A bit clumsily, but it felt good getting out and abusing all those cool powers. We died quickly of course. Prayed.

Looks about the same. Maya still there. Huge. Dispassionate. Chatty.

Who is in charge now that Maya gave up Godhood and Sarapis has departed to watch over the Fire Behind The Flame (FBTF)?

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Sarapis said:
    Shunsui said:
    Yea, only thing that bugged me about the finale was the absence of Sycaerunax, figured he'd be somehow involved. I also figured more gods would die than those who did.
    Yeah, that was kind of an oversight on our part, frankly. We had so much stuff to do nobody realized we had forgotten to write him in until after it was over.
    hope this means we'll see more of him in the future ;)

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    How long was is since Sarapis passed on the mantle to Maya... like 180 IC years ago?  Sarapis will come back in 2018
  • edited December 2012
    It's no bad thing that this event has left some loose ends, as long as they get tidied up eventually (or rolled into another event).

In the meantime, it's all useful fuel for everyone's RP storylines!

At my count:

What will happen with the Xorani illness?
    Where will the refugees of Shallam go?
    How will Dragons be made now?
    Will Lupus recover from his injuries?
    Who is the rajamala from the stars that Apollonia keeps talking about? (OK, we may never know the answer to this one) ;)
    Where are the remaining pieces of the Sceptre of Divinity?
    Will Prospero return from being squished and finally finish the bazaar in Delos?
    Are the ormyrr ALL dead, or will they survive in some corner of Achaea?
    Who do we pray for for salvation now?
  • JamethielJamethiel Adelaide
    edited December 2012

The biggest detractor for me was the lag. I would enter something and some five minutes later it would happen. Yet some other people seemed to have no issues at all, or alternatively I was seeing their actions they wanted five minutes before.

Furthermore, because of the lag it was impossible to keep up with the group that I identified most with (i.e. the Cyrenians) and worse still I stood for a whole 10 minutes (possibly less, maybe longer) in front of 3 dala'myrr who didn't attack me but attacked everyone else in the room. I'm not sure what happened, but suddenly the dala'myyr realised I was there, and yeah, I died; strange as it sounds I'm thankful for that.

I liked the story, the whole weave of it. I understand the difficulty of getting technology to behave, complex code bases and such to do stuff they might never have been designed to do. I'm unsure if I could have done better - I'm certain I could have done worse, but:

1. The lag almost wrecked the event for me;
    2. Having no clear direction or idea of what will become of dragons is even more, well, worrying - it's true that everyone's playing about with their omni-whatever skills but as far as Jamethiel is concerned, this event has suddenly devalued his character and his abilities (and don't yell at me but you're trans/fabled/whatever everything; that'd be fine if I knew I could keep it);
    3. I don't know what is happening if anything at all with the Divine I worship, still
    Actually, apart from the lag, the event was fine.

However, had I known it was going to be so horrendous and the issues so complex, I not would have bothered attempting to move about Nishnatoba. It was frustrating, I crashed a number of times, and I could not quit using 'qq'.

Summary: A good event dampened by circumstances that caused significant lag.

• @Jamethiel I was getting a few seconds lag. Irritating, but not crippling for what we had to do. And I'm pretty far from the servers, though my computer is pretty decent. Not sure why I'd lag less than others really.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• My thoughts about the finale: 

First of all, I liked it over all. I was definitely glad that the event finally finished (even with lose ties). I was not even expecting  for everyone around to end up becoming demigods, nor the fact that Maya and Sarapsis left from the game. 

The lag wasn't exactly unexpected, since pretty much everyone and their mother basically logged in from the event and probably killed the data with the servers causing everyone to lag via commands/movements (seriously, I had to sit there do a command and wait for about five minutes before it was even displayed to me) 

I definitely look forward to seeing the ties straightened out eventually, although, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a bit of time. Since it seems like writing out events, emotions, dialogue, probably takes quite a bit of time and energy to get it written, corrected, and so forth. 

I was probably amused by the zap command the most (not necessarily when everyone decided to zap everyone..and yes I am guilty of this once, I was curious if we were able to use the different layers of zap..needless to say, I found out the hard way that it was not the case)..I always wondered how the command actually works and now I do! 

Very nice job on the event all together, I look forward to seeing what happens in Achaea in the months and perhaps even years to come. 

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited December 2012
    Does anyone have a total list of the Divine that died/left during these events, and who is left?

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    @Jamethiel I was getting a few seconds lag. Irritating, but not crippling for what we had to do. And I'm pretty far from the servers, though my computer is pretty decent. Not sure why I'd lag less than others really.

There were times where it took me about 10 minutes to get a single command through. So, I guess it varied.
  • edited December 2012
    This has been a fantastic event with a suitably epic ending. The writing and storytelling were really top-notch. If it was made into a novel, I'd read it. Well done and thank you to all the admin who helped make it happen - you guys and gals are awesome. 

Playing around with all the skills afterwards was also really fun and a great bonus, so props for that as well.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Great event, the ending today was good, some unexpected deaths (I thought Agatheis was going to make it), Sarapis and Maya both leaving was a bit of a surprise.  Being a temporary demi-god also a surprise.  

Just one simple request, don't drag whatever the fate of the refugees out much longer.  The last 10 days of being cityless has been super boring.  I started to notice a lot of the refugees spending increasingly less time around, just check messages and to see if another event was planned.  Shallam/Good needed a reboot, we got 2 active divine who just played the cool tag team role in this plot and presumeably good momentum from all that.  Don't let up.