Year 700!

Comments

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Tahquil said:
    How about a count down timer for each event? Something you could check with a syntax.
    I.e.

EVENTS

The following events as schedule to begin in :  
     -------------------------------------
    |Drinking contest                          <1 hours  |
    |Twins Tourney*                             14 hours |
    |Foozle*                                          39 hours |
    |Paintball                                      >48 hours |
     -------------------------------------
    That's actually a great idea for this Y700 and future announced events that are given with a GMT time and date! I hope admins see your post and consider it, would be SO helpful.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Valkyn said:
    What Aesi said. My timezone isn't in GMT, but I would much rather convert from GMT than one of the US times. GMT doesn't change with daylight savings for one.

Everyone other than the US tends to know what their timezone is in relation to GMT.
    This especially. Learning to convert quickly from GMT (the most neutral time zone ever) is a good skill to have.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• @Tahquil what she said, good one. 

Can also blast an email to everyone saying "less than 2 hours to tourney!"

IRE email lists is so rarely used. 
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Dochitha said:
    @Tahquil what she said, good one. 

Can also blast an email to everyone saying "less than 2 hours to tourney!"

IRE email lists is so rarely used. 
    Check the IRE Facebook page!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2015
    Jarrod said:
    Valkyn said:
    What Aesi said. My timezone isn't in GMT, but I would much rather convert from GMT than one of the US times. GMT doesn't change with daylight savings for one.

Everyone other than the US tends to know what their timezone is in relation to GMT.
    This especially. Learning to convert quickly from GMT (the most neutral time zone ever) is a good skill to have.
    Speaking as a teacher, do you know how much trouble US kids have even reading non-digital clocks at a middle school age? It is positively terrifying. I am okay with keeping the GMT times for sure.

That said, Tah's idea sounds fairly ideal, too! I am all for it.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Jarrod said:
    Valkyn said:

Speaking as a teacher, do you know how much trouble US kids have even reading non-digital clocks at a middle school age? It is positively terrifying. I am okay with keeping the GMT times for sure.

That said, Tah's idea sounds fairly ideal, too! I am all for it.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I remember making my damned paper plate clock in kindergarten and learning analog time.

#oldmoments
  • Atalkez said:
     ... from the least PvP-centered city in the game ...
    I am loving the fact that the sentiment is rapidly changing.  B)
    Tecton said:
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #4469                                     (12/06/2015 at 06:51)  
    From   : Tecton the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Upcoming events and timetables
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To help remove confusion, and the sometimes difficult task of converting from GMT, we've added a new command to list upcoming events and happenings in Achaea! To take a look, simply enter "UPCOMING". You can additionally pull up further information on an event with UPCOMING INFO <#>.

Credit for the idea goes out to Tahquil, who suggested it on the forums - nice work!

Penned by My hand on the 6th of Miraman, in the year 700 AF.

One of the best updates ever, truly! SO helpful!

• I'm hoping there will be prizes for non first place finishes as well as "Oh look, manage to get this denizen on this card and you have have a chance at a prize" Would be kinda nice.
    Datrius said:
    I'm hoping there will be prizes for non first place finishes as well as "Oh look, manage to get this denizen on this card and you have have a chance at a prize" Would be kinda nice.
    As a Championship event, the top 10 participants will get prizes and championship points!
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited December 2015
    Atalkez said:
    Like Tecton said, the synergy between classes is higher than ever before. The amount of knowledge that is generalized is also higher than ever before. Twins isn't a 2-3 man show with whoever else shows up anymore, anyone can compete. Aerek/Dochitha showed that with how well they did as (Aerek at least) semi-artied people from the least PvP-centered city in the game. Tesha/Tibitha finished second, and I would wager that no one predicted that. While that could be viewed as a good thing (and that's not to take away from their abilities), I think having a re-match will determine a more true winner than a one-off in any scenario.
    That's basically my point, though. A Bo3 would be a "fairer" gauge of skill, but it would essentially return the Twins to that 2-3 team show. An underdog might get lucky and wipe a fan favorite once, but the odds of them doing so twice are very slim if the "big names" get a chance to analyze and adapt for a second round, and that makes the Twins more predictable. Certainly, it sucks to lose it all on one bad match; Doch and I completely choked against Jarrod/Xinna even though we felt pretty prepared for that match. I would have loved a chance for a rematch, but single elimination makes it a thrill and more enticing to people who would otherwise stand no chance in the contest, and probably wouldn't participate at all.

While skill is certainly a theme of the YX games, the worst thing that can happen to these events is for everyone to know the 2 or 3 likely winners before they even start. The changes this year to make some events more "accessible" speaks to the Garden's attempt to avoid that, I think. Better to be fast, fun, and have a larger chance for someone new or unexpected to come out of left field and shock everyone, than to risk the games stratifying around the few heavy hitters we all expect to win anyway.

Also did I just get called a scrub?
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited December 2015
    The excitement of bo1's is always only there for the people who haven't been obsessively practicing that skill for years, though. There's no reason to cater to luck/'exciting' viewership in an event that comes only once every 1.5 years and has a tangible effect on the game by giving one city an overpowered combatant.

There was no actual 'upsets' even in this year's event with BO1s, really, other than Jhui/Dunn running into a bug. Tesha knows what she's doing and Tibitha has some clue, priest/monk is extremely strong. The other top teams either fought no one they had bad odds against or were expected by everyone to place highly anyway.

At any rate, if you still want to keep 'upsets' in so badly, then simply do double elimination. That way no one has to fight the same team twice (except maybe in semis/finals) while still accounting for luck.
  • edited December 2015
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/d681e198

I was panic'd, no lie.

Taraus is my hero for real.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

Totally sucked in the foozle, but it's all good. Was not expecting at all to get anywhere near top ten anyways. lol. Was woefully unprepared. Thanks to @Aesi and @Gamden for helping me with some of them!

• Daeir said:
    That was fun as fuck.

Bar the raccoon/worker fiasco, of course, but that was still fun.
    here it comes... foozlegate.
  • Racoons could still be foozles on the Atavian sky island place and the Mhun worker did repop/return but you could have gone to Ulangi.

:)
  • KelloniusKellonius Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Tahquil said:
    Racoons could still be foozles on the Atavian sky island place and the Mhun worker did repop/return but you could have gone to Ulangi.

:)
    Nice herring, I shall call him "Red." What you said is not what was promised.
  • The herrings were in Phereklos.
  • You could have also went to Thraasi to get a dock worker.

• KelloniusKellonius Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Kazu said:
    You could have also went to Thraasi to get a dock worker.
    You guys are missing the point. All of the workers and all of the raccoons were killable, so was the Jarbo, and everything else.  
    Kellonius said:
    * Foozle items can not be skipped by passing in this mode, one must complete the box before 
    submitting it. We'll have measures in place to ensure that denizens required for the contest are 
    alive for the duration.
    REDO! REDO!

• or you know.. disqualify the killers..  ;)
    Question time.... since jousting changed at some point... I am quite curious as to how this works, and what determines it now like with your own character and the mount type and its level like if it's legendary or lower?

• It was a really enjoyable event. For next time, it would be nice if there was a bit more clarification about the rules in event of tiebreakers, or if things are dead, etc. I think this was the first time the championship foozle has been held so it's totally understandable that there would be hiccups here and there (and I vastly prefer the foozle over the bandersnatch). Jarrod mentioned scoring based on when people arrived at cards/foozled items rather than by points, and I think that's a great idea but it might need different code so it doesn't have to be done manually. In any event the next one will be even better, thanks for the refreshing game! The new denizens were quite interesting to try to find. :)

i'm a rebel

edited December 2015
    Yeah, we weren't expecting such a cluster at the one score, so those results and tie-breaking mechanisms were not something we had accounted for (being the first time we've run this championship mode). We'll definitely be improving things for next time!