Year 700!

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #4467                                     (12/04/2015 at 23:33)  
    From   : Tecton the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Year 700: Foozle
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Foozle is a new event for our Year 700 games, bringing with it a slightly different mode, called Championship mode! Here's the details of how it works:

* Many new items have been added to the foozle card pool. In championship mode, there are tiers of difficulty, and participants will work their way up the tiers, with the higher tiers rewarding higher points per item.
    * Over the past few weeks, we've been adding many new creatures to the areas around Sapience, some of these may be on the new cards. It would behoove you to look around for new denizens that you may not have seen before!
    * Foozle items can not be skipped by passing in this mode, one must complete the box before submitting it. We'll have measures in place to ensure that denizens required for the contest are alive for the duration.
    * The event will be timed (one hour) or will run until ten adventurers have completed the highest tier of items, whichever comes first. Should the time limit be reached, standings will be based on scores at that time.
    * WALK TO, Major movement, movement bonuses, and forest defences will be disabled for the duration of the event.
    * Travelling through the wilderness is enabled during foozles once more.
    * This is a non-PK event.

Penned by My hand on the 24th of Daedalan, in the year 700 AF.

• edited December 2015
    I assume this means no wings/warps/earrings and the like?

What about things like dash/gallop?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    Dash, gallop, runaway etc. will work
  • Disabling WALK TO entirely for the foozle seems like a significant disadvantage to anyone not using a 3rd-party autowalking script (e.g., Mudlet mapper). Any server-side measures to try to counteract their effectiveness would still leave them with the ability to calculate paths to particular areas/rooms, while depriving anyone who normally relies on the in-game version of them. If there's no way to disable WALK TO <denizen> without disabling WALK TO entirely, then I guess I don't see a better option, but it seems unfortunate.
  • Also, regarding wilderness travel, does that mean the usual range of denizens from northern Sapience/Meropis/etc will be included? Or is that just to prevent people from getting stuck after unfortunate Annwyn exits and the like?
    Maybe, and part of the reason!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Tecton said:
    Poor @Kyrra, so many deaths incoming! (just kidding - yes, they're gone)
    But.. but.. My totems! All My Totems! *banshee wail*
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited December 2015
    December 2:
    ~2300 GMT - Year 700 begins with a Treasure Hunt (HELP TREASUREHUNT)

December 5:

0300 GMT - Drinking Contest
    1700 GMT - Twins Combat Tourney (** Championship Event **)

December 6:

1800 GMT - Foozle (** Championship Event **)
    Midnight - Auction begins (I'm not sure if midnight means the start of Sunday or the end of it)

December 8:

0200 GMT - Arena Jousting Contest

December 9:

2200 GMT - Ship arena battle royale

December 10:

1700 GMT - Master Riddle

December 11:

0000 GMT - XP Event starts (** Championship Event **)

December 12:

2359 GMT - XP Event ends (** Championship Event **)

December 13:

1700 GMT - Tumbleraces (** Championship Event **)
    2200 GMT - Quiz (** Championship Event **)

December 14:

2300 GMT - Ship race
    2359 GMT - Lottery Ends (Lottery 24!)

December 15:

~1000 GMT - Year 700 ends
    TBD - Awards Ceremony

December 19:

2300 GMT - Capture the Flag

Schedule updated with lottery and auction info
  • Announce post said the Serenade on Sunday, right? That probably means the Serenade that occurs when it's still Sunday for the US, so I'd guess the switch between Sunday and Monday GMT.
    Antonius said:
    Announce post said the Serenade on Sunday, right? That probably means the Serenade that occurs when it's still Sunday for the US, so I'd guess the switch between Sunday and Monday GMT.
    Correct!
    edited December 2015
    Also, you can keep track of the Y700 twins tourney here: http://challonge.com/Y700Twins

• Suggestion for Y750! Make Twins double elimination/bo3/both?
  • So proud of Targossas. Like holy crap.
    Kiet said:
    Suggestion for Y750! Make Twins double elimination/bo3/both?
    We've traditionally done single elimination due to the time required to run a DE contest, but with the teams having much more synergy and pre-arranged tactics, we can definitely look at going DE in 750!
  • edited December 2015
    Bo3 would be good. Fights are much shorter these days and rely more on pre-planning/last minute decision making, small slip ups cost more.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • BO3 double elimination combo would be ideal!
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I would guess that the reason they don't do this is that it would double or triple the time it took to get the event done. The first match would go quickly, but then there'd be post-match analysis and people would want to brainstorm alternate strategies, or a larger emphasis on delaying tactics/fleeing in subsequent matches when it became clear you were outmatched, and suddenly we're looking at an hours to finish the tourney. I think the only way to make that work is if the Admin stood over each match and held hands to make sure matches happened in a timely fashion, which requires a more hands on deck than just Tecton watching for deathsights.

Single elimination maybe isn't the most "fair" system to see who's really the most skilled, but it lends itself to fast, exciting matches for participants and spectaros both, and allows the event to wrap up in a reasonable timeframe. It also makes it more accessible to mid-tier competitors, since anyone could get lucky once and upset the outcome in ways that a Bo3 would never allow.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited December 2015
    Eh, I think any Championship event that takes 2-3 hours is just fine. The Twins finished in just under an hour (if memory serves, correct me if not) - which kind of makes it more of a fun thing than anything weighty in terms of the Championship events. Most of them are much longer events than the Twins historically. The hunting is a 6 hour thing, per person. 

If there is a foundation put into place to ensure that the fights happen quickly, with a maximum of say 5 minutes between them or something, you could potentially see better matches. Having a spot of lag, or the queue lag bug that's been happening, causing you to lose out for 1.5 years until the next one just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. If you had two or three chances, at least you could try to fix those small issues that can lead to a loss super quickly.

Like Tecton said, the synergy between classes is higher than ever before. The amount of knowledge that is generalized is also higher than ever before. Twins isn't a 2-3 man show with whoever else shows up anymore, anyone can compete. Aerek/Dochitha showed that with how well they did as (Aerek at least) semi-artied people from the least PvP-centered city in the game. Tesha/Tibitha finished second, and I would wager that no one predicted that. While that could be viewed as a good thing (and that's not to take away from their abilities), I think having a re-match will determine a more true winner than a one-off in any scenario.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Eh, I think any Championship event that takes 2-3 hours is just fine. The Twins finished in just under an hour (if memory serves, correct me if not) - which kind of makes it more of a fun thing than anything weighty in terms of the Championship events. Most of them are much longer events than the Twins historically. The hunting is a 6 hour thing, per person. 

If there is a foundation put into place to ensure that the fights happen quickly, with a maximum of say 5 minutes between them or something, you could potentially see better matches. Having a spot of lag, or the queue lag bug that's been happening, causing you to lose out for 1.5 years until the next one just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. If you had two or three chances, at least you could try to fix those small issues that can lead to a loss super quickly.

Like Tecton said, the synergy between classes is higher than ever before. The amount of knowledge that is generalized is also higher than ever before. Twins isn't a 2-3 man show with whoever else shows up anymore, anyone can compete. Aerek/Dochitha showed that with how well they did as (Aerek at least) semi-artied people from the least PvP-centered city in the game. Tesha/Tibitha finished second, and I would wager that no one predicted that. While that could be viewed as a good thing (and that's not to take away from their abilities), I think having a re-match will determine a more true winner than a one-off in any scenario.
    Somewhat agree

at the same time, upsets happen. Part of competition.
  • Anyone know how long the Auctions will run?

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    How did I miss the Drinking Contest if it's December 5 at 10pm EST? It's 9:41 EST right now.

• Would have been December 4th EST time. GMT is ahead and it was 3am on the 5th.

• Kresslack said:
    How did I miss the Drinking Contest if it's December 5 at 10pm EST? It's 9:41 EST right now.
    0300 would be 10pm est the previous day.

0300 - 5 = 22:00 = 10PM EST
  • I've never understood why Achaea has made the time thing so difficult. A very small portion of the playerbase actually uses GMT outside of Achaea. Might as well put it in a format that doesn't make people miss events frequently.

• edited December 2015
    http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter

and -- that would be rather unfair to international users. This time format is in a convertible means that EVERYONE can use. 

For example, someone in London(that is gmt you idiot) Australia would have to convert EST back to GMT, and then to their time. 

While convenience for you, annoying for others. You will never please everyone.
  • What Aesi said. My timezone isn't in GMT, but I would much rather convert from GMT than one of the US times. GMT doesn't change with daylight savings for one.

Everyone other than the US tends to know what their timezone is in relation to GMT.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Or at least a byline that reminds people to check for the appropriate time. I've been so busy and tired I just skimmed the news post and thought, "Cool, I can actually make that one."

• If EST (or PST) is their most common timezone I see nothing wrong with having it in brackets or something next to the GMT, but don't take away our GMT!

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    It is a bit confusing sometimes. I kind of wish there was a way it could change your news and such based on an in-game command to configure your timezone. However, given the way things are currently set up, I agree that setting the news postings to American time zones instead of GMT would be unfair.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.