Random Achaea Thoughts

Comments

• The revamped abilities for various classes seem to be a clear case of power creep.  No clue whether the balance/eq times are a balancing factor, though.
  • Full manual curing had some unique advantages like being able to disregard most illusions, better handle weird conditions like aeon and blackout, deal with hidden afflictions by using experience to decide what your opponent would most likely be throwing at you, and deal with trick-reliant opponents more easily.

But there were several cases where it was just not realistic to cure quickly enough. Apostate. Thoth's Fang serpent. BM and alchemist have continued a trend towards faster, more aff-heavy classes. There were plenty more cases where curing was possible, but the margin for error was punishingly low. Automated curing can be exploited, but it doesn't make mistakes: doesn't typo input, press the wrong button, or apply too early.

Assuming manual curing is possible, you still have the problem of handling your offense alongside your defense. That's two sets of complex, demanding input. Most classes have input-heavy offense, and tend to get more complex with skill revamps (not that I'm complaining). There are only so many macros you can map to your keyboard.
  • AdaAda
    edited April 2015
    Crackling motes of crimson shoot in the air from a marble statue of the Righteous Fire, reminiscent of fireworks.

:smiley: 
  • Ada said:
    Where'd the LOL button go :confused: 
    Long gone, along with WTF, agree and disagree.

Also, @Ada: Where have you been? 

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited April 2015
    Penwize said:
    This change will huuuugely alter the amount of time investment required of any new player interested in making their own curing scripts.  Literally hundreds of triggers just got replaced with six GMCP events.  This is a very good change.
    I -think- that I could prob code a fully automated Blademaster bot to win high mid  1v1 fights based on that persons class, what kind of afflictions that person is set on when to go defensive what to cure when to go into turtle mode, what limbs to hit what limbs to prep how many hits it would take and all that mumbojumbo. with time. (I've done it before with mid/low tier fighters actually was just easier hitting the buttons my self then coding it any better)

But I still have no f'ing clue wtf a gmcp is or how to use it with out asking Karai, Daier, or looking up other peoples examples and f'ing it up.. took me like 3 months to figure out how to use gmcp to make sure I was wielding my rapiers before I dsl'd.. Just kidding Achaea totes poped out with wield rapier226 left wield rapier556 right before I could get it figured out.

Kuy said:
    Merador said:
    Kuy said:
    Merador said:
    Cooper said:
    You could definitely make auto offense for any class that is more effective than a person in every scenario, it just hasn't been done yet. There's nothing I can do that a script couldn't do faster and more efficiently.
    I completely agree. I've had to argue with some people recently about what's theoretically possible to automate in the game. I firmly believe that almost everything combat related in the game can be scripted to be done better than any of us could (exceptions being things like capitalising on "Cooper says, "I have no magnesium!!").

It's why I find arguments like "Occultist is one button and can be automated, but other classes require thought!" ridiculous. Any offence in the game can be automated if you're combat smart enough to anticipate the scenarios and good enough at coding to implement it in code. There are systems to fly aeroplanes automatically. Accounting for a (relatively) limited set of scenarios in a text based game seems trivial in comparison. 

The complaint with Occultist is more that it's kill method is entirely linear and full of smart-afflicting.  :(
    Sure, but the discussion should therefore be "Is this class too good when played perfectly?" not "Is it possible to automate this class?". I think that it is too strong when played perfectly (either by a scripted offence, or somebody who's spent tens of hours practicing), so that's why it should be nerfed. 
    But... that's why people are so adamant that it needs nerfed.  Perhaps not even nerfed, but just tweaked.  The people who say "occultist is a one button win class" normally don't have enough of a grip on combat mechanics to even make a judgment call - they're just ranting because they're sour.
    Occultist is extremely easy to automate (in comparison to other classes) The main part about occultist that makes it so easy is your not using afflictions to lock, your not using afflictions to boost your damage your just stacking them to an instant kill. It doesn't matter what afflictions you really use so long as they're part of the set for Cadmus/Hecate/Whipsering/Enlighten.

-- At least my thoughts after understanding how Occultist abilities work (finally after like 2 years or something now) and then looking at combat logs to see how others do it.

While manualing Occultist on the other hand would be 10x harder than automating it since the pets randomly afflict different things you'd be needing to afflict..

• Caladbolg said:
    Just kidding Achaea totes poped out with wield rapier226 left wield rapier556 right before I could get it figured out.
    It's even easier, you can just do "wield rapier226 rapier556".
  • Aldar Diadem OR Aldar talisman: 1200 credits

Shield of Absorption: 800 credits

Thought both of these items would go up a little more than that, but still glad I bought them before it went up what they did.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • edited April 2015
    Actually, disregard.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    When my tailoring stuff gonna come in :(

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Got four designs in.

Momma needs her masquerade outfit!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited April 2015
    @Melodie "you shall not go to the ball!"

“There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

Harmonia said:

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Harmonia said:

“There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

Harmonia said:
    Melodie said:
    Harmonia said:

• Ayami's thoughts are really interesting, and make a lot of sense.  It does sound like that's a way to avoid extreme automation.  Unfortunately, the solution apparently forces us to play speed poker, which I am also not super excited about :(
  • What I took from Ayami's post is that AI is already better than any of us at linear logic where there isn't unknown information.  But at least (some) humans do excel at guessing unknown, non-random information (computers are also apparently getting better and better at games like rock paper scissors, because humans are terrible at being truly random). 
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Jules said:
    What I took from Ayami's post is that AI is already better than any of us at linear logic where there isn't unknown information.  But at least (some) humans do excel at guessing unknown, non-random information (computers are also apparently getting better and better at games like rock paper scissors, because humans are terrible at being truly random). 
    Everything in regards to automation is unknown..there is not quick cut and dry where we know 100% what they have at all times(unless you are doing afflictions from every cure category and never doubling up.  If there were, everyone would be rolling serpent and using one button kills.  Expert diagnosing being removed would be a very good step in this direction.  The number one class everyone is complaining about being automated(occultist) is so full of random factors, I refused to even do triggers for half of it.  AI will never replace the human in Achaea(at least in my opinion).  There are too many things that should be based off feel and gut.  The fact the other person is attacking you at the same time goes a long way.  Also, a simple table that loops through a preset attack order is just as strong, if not stronger, in some circumstances.  If you rely strictly on the numbers, you will waste afflictions. 
  • edited April 2015

I thought that Ayami's point was similar to what you are saying.  That's what I meant by "speed poker" (vs. the analogy Ayami made with chess, which is linear with no unknowns, and which computers excel at, while humans can still win against a computer at poker).  I think what you're saying is that Achaea already has at least some of those poker elements.  My only real point in my original comment was that it avoids the AI problem, but also selects for a very specific kind of player (i.e. probably someone who could play speed poker).

EDIT:   I think my use of the word "speed" is causing some confusion there.  Computers are always faster than us, of course, and all I meant by that was that in Achaean combat (even if they slow it down some, as has come up in this thread), we still wouldn't be sitting there eyeing each other over a hand of cards. 

• Speed has very little to do with it. As was mentioned. Achaea could have 20 second balance times and AIs wouldn't really benefit (because the 2-3 second balance times now are already slow enough for a half-decent computer). The important part is that computers are bad at guessing, especially when it's based on holistic patterns. Coincidentally, human brains are excellent at that, and most modern competitive games are based around that concept. So the method becomes 'design for what humans are good at and computers are bad at'.

That said, I disagree, Austere. The fact that Aetolia has 1button offenses (and I do mean hit one button then you can go afk), and Aetolia is not that different from Achaea, proves that it can happen. The only difference is that it's a lot harder in Achaea still because there's some unknown information. Like you said, expert diagnoser is probably a step in the wrong direction. Occultist is still easy to automate though, because like someone mentioned it doesn't really care about what afflictions you have for the most part, just a number. And all cures currently give a third person message, so it becomes simply 'have they cured more times than I have afflicted?' Because it has no real alternative offensive paths, there's no reward at all for not automating, either. You can skip steps sometimes, but there's not much truly different you can aim for.

That said, the ideal is not to rely on truly random things like "which affliction got cured?" but to rely on psychologically random things. You want people to be put in situations where by defending against move A, they're making themselves vulnerable to move B, and predicting what your opponent is going to do becomes the best way to choose which to worry about. Some of the new class redesigns seem to be trying this (magi, maybe, though I have no actual knowledge of the class, just the announce from a while ago + posted ab files), but if the goal is avoiding full offensive automation it needs to be a  principle applied to all classes in an extensive way. This would maybe make Achaea's combat even more complicated, though.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Ayami said:

That said, I disagree, Austere. The fact that Aetolia has 1button offenses (and I do mean hit one button then you can go afk), and Aetolia is not that different from Achaea, proves that it can happen. The only difference is that it's a lot harder in Achaea still because there's some unknown information. Like you said, expert diagnoser is probably a step in the wrong direction. Occultist is still easy to automate though, because like someone mentioned it doesn't really care about what afflictions you have for the most part, just a number. And all cures currently give a third person message, so it becomes simply 'have they cured more times than I have afflicted?' Because it has no real alternative offensive paths, there's no reward at all for not automating, either. You can skip steps sometimes, but there's not much truly different you can aim for.

I appreciate you taking the time to ensure I understood the viability of a one button offense. You do realize that I am the only person with a public script designed just for this, right? 

You can disagree all you want,  it doesn't change the fact that occie doesn't even need automation. A human can perform just as well as a script.  Of the top occies right now,  there is only one that actually has an accurate(accurate is subjective,  I do mean perfect) affliction tracker(to my knowledge), and by your own admission, it doesn't even need to be accurate.  It just needs to count afflictions.  Quite honestly,  I don't think having a script count your afflictions for you is really automation. I equate it to a limb counter.   You don't even need it to select your offense if you understand your skills.  There is little benefit. The less benefit gained, the less wide spread use there will me. 

I released my script because I understand that at least half of the top tier is using automated offense selection to some degree(and don't blame this on one city, I have spoken to a lot). This is not a new problem.  It's just more open now.  Now that everyone understands how it works and what the problem is, we can either all play on the same field with automation or we can change how combat works. Quite frankly,  I want combat to return to a simpler, more linear time, but I am prepared for either. I have offered my assistance in this thread to nerf(outlaw and track for shrubbing if it comes to that) affliction tracking once and received no divine response (they never respond to me anyway on forums). It's our place to play with the tools we have and within the rules they set.  This is not something we can fix as players.  It needs to come from the top. 
  • Ayami said:
    Speed has very little to do with it. As was mentioned. Achaea could have 20 second balance times and AIs wouldn't really benefit (because the 2-3 second balance times now are already slow enough for a half-decent computer).
    I think the people who have brought up the idea of slowing things down are hoping it would help humans compete rather than the other way around. 
  • So I made an alt, and I keep typing "pray for salvation" when I die. Old habits die hard.
  • Austere said:
    Ayami said:

I appreciate you taking the time to ensure I understood the viability of a one button offense. You do realize that I am the only person with a public script designed just for this, right? 

You can disagree all you want,  it doesn't change the fact that occie doesn't even need automation. A human can perform just as well as a script.  Of the top occies right now,  there is only one that actually has an accurate(accurate is subjective,  I do mean perfect) affliction tracker(to my knowledge), and by your own admission, it doesn't even need to be accurate.  It just needs to count afflictions.  Quite honestly,  I don't think having a script count your afflictions for you is really automation. I equate it to a limb counter.   You don't even need it to select your offense if you understand your skills.  There is little benefit. The less benefit gained, the less wide spread use there will me. 

I released my script because I understand that at least half of the top tier is using automated offense selection to some degree(and don't blame this on one city, I have spoken to a lot). This is not a new problem.  It's just more open now.  Now that everyone understands how it works and what the problem is, we can either all play on the same field with automation or we can change how combat works. Quite frankly,  I want combat to return to a simpler, more linear time, but I am prepared for either. I have offered my assistance in this thread to nerf(outlaw and track for shrubbing if it comes to that) affliction tracking once and received no divine response (they never respond to me anyway on forums). It's our place to play with the tools we have and within the rules they set.  This is not something we can fix as players.  It needs to come from the top. 
    I didn't clarify what I meant by one button offense as an attack on your  scripting prowess, but simply that there's a difference between 'hit one button as a main attack to autoselect afflictions for your doublestab/curses/etc.' and 'literally start this script and be as assured a win if you went afk right now as if you didn't' and I wanted to be clear with my writing. I was only disagreeing with you about whether an AI could outdo a human in Achaea, and I believe it absolutely could with some classes and very basic coding knowledge.

With a class like Occultist, a human has absolutely no advantage over a properly coded AI. There is no point to a human even bothering with its offense when an AI can do it as well or better for no effort and minimal setup/coding. Relying on 'well it's not absolutely needed' is a bad idea, because necessity isn't what drives people to code bots for chess, poker, counterstrike, whatever. You need a more active approach to dissuading automation. Otherwise, I guarantee eventually there'll be fights where human input is completely minimal and an AI absolutely will replace all human input for some players during a one on one fight. Obviously over a long enough time that'd happen anyway, but the proper path is to try to stall that as long as you can, or you run into chess's issue.

Making offense simpler/more linear unfortunately doesn't dissuade automation in the long run. Just because a human can play perfectly well doesn't mean someone won't come that is simply more interested in coding a bot than any other part of Achaean combat. The ideal kind of design is something that's both simple to grasp and favors human capabilities over computer capabilities, which is the opposite of Occultist.

Jules said:
    Ayami said:
    Speed has very little to do with it. As was mentioned. Achaea could have 20 second balance times and AIs wouldn't really benefit (because the 2-3 second balance times now are already slow enough for a half-decent computer).
    I think the people who have brought up the idea of slowing things down are hoping it would help humans compete rather than the other way around. 

Oh, I was just addressing the 'speed' poker part. It doesn't even have to play like poker or anything, really, it just needs variety in offensive actions.
  • Tael said:
     But it is absolutely, unquestionably possible.
    Unfortunately true. Also true of Go and poker (though not with current software), and at some point just like chess bots basically ruined online competitive chess, poker/go bots will ruin online competitive poker or go. The difference between the two will be that the poker bot still will lose individual hands to vastly inferior players because of the RNG (via card dealing) in poker, which does not happen in chess or Go. (Long-term of course, the outcome will be pretty much the same.)