Comments

• I practically do that now.
  • RipRip
    edited April 2015
    Arg you gif wizards!!! HOW!

• This thread went downhill so fast :(

• RipRip
    edited April 2015
    Actually it might have pushed the Garden into something "ironic"...down hill yes...exactly where water flows.  Nice random thought  @Antidas...

Edit: You know..grammar...

• Rip said:
    Random Thought: All new players should start at the age of 1, and use cry (instead of tell)...crawl instead of walking...thoughts?

I would be so thrilled when I took my first rat down by throttling it with my tiny, toddler hands. 
  • RipRip
    edited April 2015
    Let us not forget suckling a breast...Antidas could come change our diapers?

EDIT: Waiting for announcement 4308... 

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    @Rip has us there, fellas. This is a stream of consciousness thread, like What Happened To You Today? with a lower bar to entry. You created a monster, @Exelethril!
    What was the word count in the sarapis@achaea.com inbox in re: recent bans? Can someone make a book? 
  • 4308, PHEW...was totally excepting Sarapis to shrub us all...<- romps around!

• Instead of the trial of rebirth, you should have to go through the trial of birth, where you fight your way out of the womb, leaving a path of destruction, and emerging covered in gore. 
  • edited April 2015
    From   : Tecton, the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: New GMCP additions
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We've just loaded up a new addition to Achaea's GMCP implementation - afflictions and defences!
    You'll see this used to great effect in the next version of our HTML5 client, but we've opened this
    up for you all now.

How it works
    ============
    Afflictions
    -----------
    * When you receive an affliction, you'll get a Char.Afflictions.Add GMCP message. Masked and hidden
    afflictions (Loki venom, for example) will not send this message.
    * Symptoms of masked afflictions will reveal the presence of the affliction and send the Affliction.
    Add message.
    * Using the DIAGNOSE command will reveal the presence of all masked afflictions and send a Char.
    Afflictions.List message.
    * Curing afflictions will send a Char.Afflictions.Remove message.

Defences
    --------
    * Using the DEFENCES/DEF command will send a Char.Defences.List of all of the defences you currently
    have active.
    * Losing a defence will send a Char.Defences.Remove message. Silently stripped defences will not
    send this message.

Penned by My hand on the 25th of Lupar, in the year 680 AF.

Yep, a bit ironic. :)
    Jules said:
    Instead of the trial of rebirth, you should have to go through the trial of birth, where you fight your way out of the womb, leaving a path of destruction, and emerging covered in gore. 
    Probably just need more fiber in your diet.
  • Random thought: Mutton is overrated...it's all about the placenta...

• @Sarapis The problem you're faced with has nothing to do with automation. It's an issue with how the game is designed, not with misbehaving or exploitative players. People who play this game for combat are those who enjoy the certain properties that are common in many MUDs: sophisticated and in-depth PvP. They're going to do what they do best, which is find new and innovative ways to give them a competitive edge, or not play.

If you don't like any form of automation, then the onus is on you, the game developer, to change the way in which the user can play the game. It's not our responsibility to change how we play the game simply because other people feel it's unfair. It's obvious that you want to attract more players and retain current ones, and the way you feel to do it best is to lower the barrier of entry for new players. 

So, you'd rather alienate the small group of people that you feel are the problem. Makes sense from a short-term business perspective. It's unsustainable, though, and ill-advised. The group that does this automation is also the very same group that keeps the combat spirit alive. If you get rid of them then your game's combat experience suddenly seems much less compelling. 

I think you need a more elegant solution than banning automation and enforcing that from the top down. 
  • Eigen said:
    @Sarapis The problem you're faced with has nothing to do with automation. It's an issue with how the game is designed, not with misbehaving or exploitative players. People who play this game for combat are those who enjoy the certain properties that are common in many MUDs: sophisticated and in-depth PvP. They're going to do what they do best, which is find new and innovative ways to give them a competitive edge, or not play.

If you don't like any form of automation, then the onus is on you, the game developer, to change the way in which the user can play the game. It's not our responsibility to change how we play the game simply because other people feel it's unfair. It's obvious that you want to attract more players and retain current ones, and the way you feel to do it best is to lower the barrier of entry for new players. 

So, you'd rather alienate the small group of people that you feel are the problem. Makes sense from a short-term business perspective. It's unsustainable, though, and ill-advised. The group that does this automation is also the very same group that keeps the combat spirit alive. If you get rid of them then your game's combat experience suddenly seems much less compelling. 

I think you need a more elegant solution than banning automation and enforcing that from the top down. 
    Judging from the latest announce post, I'm thinking that's probably not the direction they're going anyway.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Not a coder / not knowledgeable of how to take advantage of GMCP exactly, what does this change benefit?

• Aktillum said:
    Not a coder / not knowledgeable of how to take advantage of GMCP exactly, what does this change benefit?
    It basically means that the game will tell you when you get a specific affliction, instead of you having to use crazy regex and guesswork. There will still be room for crazy regex and guesswork for "masked" afflictions, though.
  • edited April 2015
    It makes coding curing systems easier. It basically eliminates the need for class based affliction triggers, and also allows client side systems to completely ignore illusions.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Random thought: I always wondered, if the divine were suddenly mortal characters with no access to divine powers by any means, would they actually enjoy the game? Would they actually be capable of hacking it in modern Achaea to a degree to be more than another nameless alt?  I wonder which God would be the first to complain about artie prices or something being op. While I am sure they would all excel at roleplay,  would any of them still have the gumption to attain dragon again or be the highest ranked combatant? 
    Eigen said:
    If you get rid of them then your game's combat experience suddenly seems much less compelling. 
    Compelling for who? Couldn't a combat spirit exist that doesn't dovetail with recreational programming?
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Treyal said:
    Aktillum said:
    It basically means that the game will tell you when you get a specific affliction, instead of you having to use crazy regex and guesswork. There will still be room for crazy regex and guesswork for "masked" afflictions, though.
    Ah okay, so simplified curing scripting basically? Kk

• edited April 2015
    Aktillum said:
    First thought is that you could do away with a lot of triggers or use it as affliction affirmation -- i.e.: I -think-I got paralysis, but I won't believe it until GMCP tells me I do. Pretty neat for us coders.

@Trey: maybe. Radical changes to rules are not uncommon to game communities like this. Hell, look at how bigger companies treat other games...Sony accidentally killed Star Wars Galaxies. The game died after they changed how you could become a Jedi.

This is why I don't do game dev, stressful af

@Herenicus: Do you think eliminating the top 25% of players would help grow the community or leave it bitter? Maybe temporarily compelling for the other 75% until they find that the game is either: boring, not competitive enough, or not pliable enough to be interesting.
  • I for one welcome Achaea as a modern-day, text-based successor to battlebots.
  • Austere said:
    Random thought: I always wondered, if the divine were suddenly mortal characters with no access to divine powers by any means, would they actually enjoy the game? Would they actually be capable of hacking it in modern Achaea to a degree to be more than another nameless alt?  I wonder which God would be the first to complain about artie prices or something being op. While I am sure they would all excel at roleplay,  would any of them still have the gumption to attain dragon again or be the highest ranked combatant? 

I wish they did play, and somewhat regularly.  That's how guilds went away (not too long before I started playing).
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Treyal said:
    I for one welcome Achaea as a modern-day, text-based successor to battlebots.
    Me too.  Coding in fail safes for every single one of my trackers means that no one can use my bot design against me.  Welcome to the thunder dome,  bitches. 

<\joke>
  • Random Thought: I thought Bonko was a Garden player to just get me to buy a veil....