Random Achaea Thoughts

18910111214»

Comments

• Jules said:
    Having that many people in any one of the games seems like... Even if the servers could handle it I think I would feel more like I was in downtown New York than in a vast, mysterious magical world.  It would also be more like a large, gritty RL city in the sense that you really would have absolutely no idea who most people were.  And my god the spam... Whether it was in melee fights or just hanging out at CC, it would be overwhelming.  I think the optimum size would be more limited by player experience and how well you could make such a huge population manageable and enjoyable for the players.  I'm pretty sure that would be the case for me.  Just as an example, even as it is now, all of the games would probably benefit from offering (some) melee situations that cap group size.  I'm even more sure of that after hearing it suggested by a combatant in another game, and having combatants here say "yeah, the fights that aren't too huge are definitely more fun".  It's also definitely better for less accomplished combatants. 
    That depends. There's a pretty easy way to counteract problems like that - more cities/orgs. The map certainly has the space for more cities. Hell, we have an entire second continent. If by some miracle the playerbase did radically expand, there are all sorts of neat things you could do - imagine if Meropis was actually a continent on-par with Sapience with its own cities and orgs and you could do all sorts of things with the relationships between Sapients and Meropians. Maybe there's a second City of Good on Meropis - which could lead to interesting dynamics with Targossas. Maybe Meropians and Sapients are, in some sense, opposed - so the Meropis city of Evil is pulled in two directions, toward alliance with Mhaldor and toward alliance with the Meropian cities that it is ideologically opposed to. If Achaea had a playerbase ten times its current size, I'm pretty sure Sarapis and Tecton could come up with some really neat stuff to do with it that would spread it out enough not to be a problem.

And, presumably, it'd mean more resources for IRE (and more mortals to act as mortal builders/celani/etc.) to develop new areas to help keep player density reasonably managed.
  • Maybe, my first reaction is that it's best to do exactly what they did do - which is split the population onto different servers, though that wouldn't necessarily always have to mean a totally different game (since if the games were just copies mechanically, you could still get a lot of the benefits you mention). 
  • I'd bet Sarapis and Tecton would much rather have too many players than the more likely situation of nobody playing. Server splits, additional features (factions, wars, etc), and just straight up making more games. I'm waiting in anticipation to see if the sci-fi server that was sent out gets a big positive thumbs up.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I replied to the email with "OMG SPACE COWBOYS".
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • My eyes are like O.O over Targossas defending Hashan. 
  • Lala said:
    My eyes are like O.O over Targossas defending Hashan. 
    Well, Eleusis had like 12 people in Hashan, and lets be real - its Hashan we're talking about. They have enough trouble with 5 people.

Also seemed like it would be a fun skirmish, and it was! You guys managed to rally and come out on top anyways, and we didn't come back after that, so no real harm done to Eleusis' plans to teach @Amranu a lesson about griefing(?)

• Apparently it was for @Tharvis. The hilarity of this is now I feel bad for solo raided Targossas so much recently D:
  • edited May 2015
    I didn't mind, was fun  :)

Edit : the worldburn while being equal-ish on the other hand.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Antidas said:
    Lala said:
    Well, Eleusis had like 12 people in Hashan, and lets be real - its Hashan we're talking about. They have enough trouble with 5 people.

Also seemed like it would be a fun skirmish, and it was! You guys managed to rally and come out on top anyways, and we didn't come back after that, so no real harm done to Eleusis' plans to teach @Amranu a lesson about griefing(?)
    Most people were just sitting on the tank and waiting until it was ready before we'd pull out, really.

Except someone forgot to properly activate the tank (no, its not DROP TANK). This is what happens when peeps raid without me or @Rangor . I should've logged on earlier, clearly! 
  • I wonder what the Divine do in their spare time (ICly, that is). What exactly are they up to when not dealing with mortals?
  • I didn't mind, was fun  :)

Edit : the worldburn while being equal-ish on the other hand.
    yeah...that was my bad. Sorry :( I recognize it was unnecessary and shouldn't have done it. Glad you enjoyed the first fight though

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Tecton said:
    Alcinae said:
    I wonder what the Divine do in their spare time (ICly, that is). What exactly are they up to when not dealing with mortals?
    Spare... time...? What is that?
    What you do between zaps, obvs

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Alrena said:
    Antidas said:
    Lala said:

Most people were just sitting on the tank and waiting until it was ready before we'd pull out, really.

Except someone forgot to properly activate the tank (no, its not DROP TANK). This is what happens when peeps raid without me or @Rangor . I should've logged on earlier, clearly! 
    That is exactly how they learn!

• edited May 2015
    I and a few others had just logged in and sat there for the tank and army exp. You could always ignore a group that's much bigger than your own and conc bomb them if they start attacking guards.

Edit : but yeah, we had enough to do a lot worse but most of us wanted to afk sit on an apparently inactive tank.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I and a few others had just logged in and sat there for the tank and army exp. You could always ignore a group that's much bigger than your own and conc bomb them if they start attacking guards.

Edit : but yeah, we had enough to do a lot worse but most of us wanted to afk sit on an apparently inactive tank.
    #TalysinSituations
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    The funny part is that we were sitting on that inactive tank for a loong time wondering why it wasn't doing anything. Had it been activated, we probably would've been out of there long before Targossas showed up.