Random Achaea Thoughts

Comments

• @Jacen knew what I was talking about, but I didn't want to even step in those waters, because it raised the same question in my mind and then some. 

• Sarapis said:
    @Tesha I too would love that but it's not really practical for a variety of reasons. It's probably doable but I don't think it'd be a net win for Achaea to require people to play via a specific client. It'd be nice to have the capability though, I'll grant, so that for things like combat tournaments or the Year 600, etc tournaments we could ensure people are on the same level in terms of automated help. 
    Would people get access to the same level of in-game skills and artefacts and equipment in general?
  • Jacen said:
    Could force everyone to use Achaea's own client by embedding some kind of encrypted handshake method in the communication. Then you could easily control what tools the player's have to use.

The real question is whether that version of Achaea is more sustainable or profitable than the current one.
    My understanding is that using an encrypted handshake method like that is a pretty substantial server load with a couple hundred simultaneous connections to a single threaded server. You sound like you may be more knowledgeable there than I am, so you can probably tell me if my impression is correct or not.

Regardless though, technical feasibility isn't the biggest problem with that. Our biggest source of new-to-IRE players are still existing MUDers, and a good chunk of them like to use the client to which they're accustomed.
  • Tesha said:
    Aereidhna said:
    If automated curing weren't a thing, I would not hunt or even try to get into combat at all. Just not worth the time or investment to die to recklessness every time I walk through Qurnok, and bashing is a big part of why I play.
    You would adjust, I am 100% sure. You would learn to suspect recklessness whenever you get attacked but don't lose life. 
    As someone who reached Logosian on a phone without any system (it was before server side curing), I can assure you it's true.

• Nim said:
    Sarapis said:
    @Tesha I too would love that but it's not really practical for a variety of reasons. It's probably doable but I don't think it'd be a net win for Achaea to require people to play via a specific client. It'd be nice to have the capability though, I'll grant, so that for things like combat tournaments or the Year 600, etc tournaments we could ensure people are on the same level in terms of automated help. 
    Would people get access to the same level of in-game skills and artefacts and equipment in general?
    No, those are part of the game. External scripting programs aren't, or wouldn't be in that case.
  • And now I must bail to go enjoy the evening, so I'll have to reply to anything else later tonight or tomorrow. Sorry to cut out!
  • Orzaansyn, what are you getting at?  I mean, it's good to start from the strictest definition of automation and work from there to define different levels and categories of it and then talk about what is and isn't too much (and whether anything can be done about it).  I'm not totally sure if that is your point or not. 

Also, even as a non-combatant, it's exceedingly clear that automation is absolutely huge.  Forum discussions constantly confirm it, even this one.  Just to pick on Kuy for the moment because he happened to be the guy that most clearly confirms it here.  At the top of the page Kuy insists that people who consider offensive scripting a serious barrier (which interestingly, Santar singles out as the most serious problem while maintaining that he uses a fairly minimal amount of scripting in general) are "spewing biased vitriol".  A few posts later Kuy insists he'd actually leave Achaea if admin got serious about reducing the role scripting plays in combat... (this is typical of Achaean discussions in general and is pretty much why RNG forging that produced uber weapons lasted for about 10 years longer than it should have). 

• edited April 2015
    Sarapis said:
    If you were going to implement it but were concerned about the impact on current players, there might be a way you could do it over time so people have more time to adjust. Maybe do it slowly so that it wasn't night and day, to prevent people from being outraged that their stuff suddenly isn't working. Maybe start making some tournaments with big prizes open on that client, then shift Y750 events to that client, then limit PVP through that client, then eventually limit connection through that client. If this was done over the course of 1-3 years or so as opposed to suddenly doing it one day, I think fewer heavily-invested players will get upset and more people would be able to adjust, especially if it's matched with an explanation that it is for the overall health and sustainability of the game rather than a sudden punishment.

I don't have any experience in business though, I can only express my interest in such a game!

i'm a rebel

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited April 2015
    Orzaansyn said:
    Tesha said:
    Aereidhna said:
    If automated curing weren't a thing, I would not hunt or even try to get into combat at all. Just not worth the time or investment to die to recklessness every time I walk through Qurnok, and bashing is a big part of why I play.
    You would adjust, I am 100% sure. You would learn to suspect recklessness whenever you get attacked but don't lose life. 
    As someone who reached Logosian on a phone without any system (it was before server side curing), I can assure you it's true.
    I know people do it, it just would take a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me personally. Manual offensive strategies are actually interesting. Manual curing (particularly against denizens) is like regurgitating a dictionary. It'd be a good way to fight Dragon inflation, I suppose.
  • Sarapis said:

Nim said:
    Sarapis said:
    No, those are part of the game. External scripting programs aren't, or wouldn't be in that case.
    Everything I've personally mentioned doing is possible via the HTML client. If you can set variables, my supplemented offense can function.

It's probably assumed that's an external scripting program too, though.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Jules said:

Orzaansyn, what are you getting at?  I mean, it's good to start from the strictest definition of automation and work from there to define different levels and categories of it and then talk about what is and isn't too much (and whether anything can be done about it).  I'm not totally sure if that is your point or not. 

My point was simply to state what automation is and is not. My precedent messages were not about if it is bad, good, too much or not enough.

And be certain that server side curing has been a blessing for me, I am even able to fight and defend raids from my phone with it.
  • edited April 2015
    I mean this with all due respect, @Sarapis, but bro...

Achaea is a text game, involving nothing but text. It's literally designed as "Learn2Code" on a basic level. Hell, even the novice guide teaches you how to make aliases / triggers on the HTML client.

If queuing is 'Automation', then I - and virtually anyone not logged in from Telnet - are all 'automated' to an extent.

There's two massive trains of thought on that term. What I presumed on first reading is that you, like the majority of the playerbase, don't like an offensive system being a 1-key press and kill metric. There needs to be some tactic to things.

With that in mind, however, unless you're manually typing in every single action (outrift bloodroot, eat bloodroot, envenom scimitar93493 with curare, jab dave)  - you're using some sort of 'system' that you've made. Most people have 'bashing' attacks that often stand, and then stab your enemy.

This has gone from an alias that does 

send("jab dave")

to

send(queue add eqbal stand|queue add eqbal jab dave") -- and just snowballs to compound to larger attacks.

Most monk combos used to not be able to be done without sending 3 different commands minimum. (SDK Dave, UCP Dave, UCP Dave)

Since the early days of zMud, and MudMaster, Aliases and Triggers began to take a stronger foothold on things. By typing LU, I can now stand, lunge, and engage my enemy all at one time. I can pre-envenom with a second alias, envenoming both of my weapons with a pre-set list of venoms that I've picked, and attack with macros based on limbs. The turning point for most people isn't even affliction tracking, as all that is doing is catching what I haven't coded into blocks of color : afflictions and cures. It's all just information.

With a quick glance, you can see what afflictions your enemy has - and more importantly, what they don't. I don't view this as automation at all, but I am 'on the wall' about auto-envenoming based on a pre-set list of desired afflictions and their priority. This one is arguable. 

What most of us are against, however, is the one button press kills that slip into Achaea. The problem, however, isn't one of technical ability - as why SHOULDN'T you be able to code your own actions? The problem is, instead, distribution of said systems to other people that YOU didn't author yourself.

Achaean combat these days relies entirely on your opponent making a mistake, versus you levering your own ability to yield an advantage and ultimately victory. That's the point of classleads, as to balance everything out.

You're absolutely insane if you think I'm going to type out MANUALLY: 

"dsl Jinsun curare gecko"   or whatever venoms I need, every 1.7 seconds.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• edited April 2015
    decided to delete this.

• Its important to keep in mind that banning automation doesn't mean banning automation and keeping PvP and PvE exactly how they are now. Both aspects would have to be completely overhauled and likely wouldn't even remotely resemble the current systems.

So, making the point that having to type out manually everything your system/serverside handles for you now won't get you very far.
  • edited April 2015
    Aereidhna said:

I know people do it, it just would take a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me personally. Manual offensive strategies are actually interesting. Manual curing (particularly against denizens) is like regurgitating a dictionary.

This has a really important point in it and reminds me of discussions on how to make sure that pilots using autopilot don't get bored (and therefore complacent).  And yeah, Achaea would be pretty tedious without some automation. 

Santar, that's pretty incredible.  I tend to believe you, but I also think you're a freak.  That said, I wish you'd gone more into why you single out aff tracking as most problematic/harmful to the game as a whole, unless you detailed that already in the flurry of people posting.    

• I also seriously doubt that forcing us to type out every command in verbose format is even on the table.  I kind of feel vindicated that some people are (I tend to believe willfully) taking Sarapis completely literally. 
  • Jacen said:
    Its important to keep in mind that banning automation doesn't mean banning automation and keeping PvP and PvE exactly how they are now. Both aspects would have to be completely overhauled and likely wouldn't even remotely resemble the current systems.

So, making the point that having to type out manually everything your system/serverside handles for you now won't get you very far.
    Yes, but the implications of such a rebalance involve either slowing down combat to a pace that draws the combative line at who has a faster typing speed or the simplification of the Achaean combat mechanics that are both incredibly complex and accessible. It would literally shift the Achaean combat system to an entirely new niche in the world of MUDs.

I will not play Achaea Combat Lite. I will just go back to MateriaMagica.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Chasing balance and relying on muscle memory is fun, yo.
  • Herenicus said:
    Chasing balance and relying on muscle memory is fun, yo.
    More fun in a fighting game. :)

I prefer my Achaea like a game of speed chess, where emphasis is on developing tactics under pressure, not typing fast.
  • Cooper said:
    Kuy said:
    Jacen said:
    Its important to keep in mind that banning automation doesn't mean banning automation and keeping PvP and PvE exactly how they are now. Both aspects would have to be completely overhauled and likely wouldn't even remotely resemble the current systems.

Yes, but the implications of such a rebalance involve either slowing down combat to a pace that draws the combative line at who has a faster typing speed or the simplification of the Achaean combat mechanics that are both incredibly complex and accessible. It would literally shift the Achaean combat system to an entirely new niche in the world of MUDs.

I will not play Achaea Combat Lite. I will just go back to MateriaMagica.
    You're already playing Achaea Combat Lite if you're relying on automation so hard that you'll leave the game without it.
    What you're still failing to accept is that I don't have this magic one-button offense that does all this magical auto-winning for me. I've poured quite a bit of time and frustration into not only learning how to write my scripts, but learning how to use my scripts the way I do, on top of learning how to fight halfway decently. I do it because it's what's fun for me.

My statement in no way belittled you or anyone else, nor have I once condoned a single person in this thread for enjoying the game in their own way. For you, of all people, to say something with the sole intent of insult is very surprising to me.
  • That awkward moment where you're idling where someone camps ALL of their alts to log in for two seconds one aftere ach other to get the iron elite lessons.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    The problem is that these hard-won scripts can be copied between characters, magically transmuting lead into gold (ok, maybe bronze) and we're still supposed to play along with their warrior RP. 
  • NimNim
    edited April 2015
    Herenicus said:
    The problem is that these hard-won scripts can be copied between characters, magically transmuting lead into gold (ok, maybe bronze) and we're still supposed to play along with their warrior RP. 
    Perhaps, but it's not as though people are selling scripts that turn you into Santar. They're mostly just tools. I'd compare it to getting artefacts, where amongst people with less skill than you, having them can help ensure your victory, but you won't suddenly become amazing.

Except curing systems, of course. That's a huge benefit, since it does about half the work for you, and does it better than almost any human ever could.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere

God damn, I wrote this giant wall of text on my phone and accidentally touched the wrong link. Okay so here it goes again:

I started playing and getting into combat a little after @Kez 's first character and I feel very much the same as her in regards to PVP and exploration. This was around the time people were making a shift to zmud and queued curing. It was also just before the advent of ACP for zmud, which was (as far as I know) the first broadly distributed system (or the framework of one), and also later followed by the proto-SVO, vadi-system which was (I believe) multi-client and favoured by MUSHclient users such as myself.

On my part, my 'system' on MUSHclient as a newling Jester-turned-Magi consisted of a sipper/mosser by... either Larkin or Iocun I can't remember who, a handful of aliases with rudimentary targetting and a badly cobbled together pipe management thing that I had to manually refill via aliases because all the pipes looked the same and I didn't know how to differentiate them, and a carefully accumulated bunch of triggers that were unqueued so basically I was eating and smoking double of what everyone else. The triggers would pick up whatever I had and I had to manually pick up and cure the rest.

I actually had a lot of fun back then. I liked going back to look at old combat logs and slowly pick apart what I did wrong and how I could have responded better. When 'reviewing' such spars, I could genuinely ICly say that I'd panicked or I screwed up. Or that I'd *gasp* actually never seen that attack before in my life. I was responsible for every action I took, and every decision I had to make in those moments. I could actually tell you what cured what and would still be able pick up on things enough to cure myself and run away while doing so if things went southwards.

It was enough that I could have been considered a combatant. I wasn't fantastic or anything mind you, I was easily in the bottom 30-40%, but it was still enough that people could still say 'that's a Tempest' or 'I'd like you to get more involved in combat', or even 'ohey wanna be our MoS'.

Today, I couldn't do any of those things. Each time I've gone dormant and come back, the PVP scene has evolved to the point where it's very nearly unrecognisable. And every time I've tried to dip my toes back into it, I'm immediately repelled by how script heavy it's gotten and how fast paced everything moves. It's gone from "do you understand how this shit works" to "do you understand how to break that guy's shit". I'm pretty sure that by now, the most IC reason you could give for dying in combat apart from 'jumped me while I was bashing' is 'I didn't leave the room on time' because the only other thing you could possibly say is 'my system broke'. :/

• Treyal said:
    That awkward moment where you're idling where someone camps ALL of their alts to log in for two seconds one aftere ach other to get the iron elite lessons.
    Unrelated, I hear you've met @Merador.

• Trey said:
    Treyal said:
    That awkward moment where you're idling where someone camps ALL of their alts to log in for two seconds one aftere ach other to get the iron elite lessons.
    Unrelated, I hear you've met @Merador.
    OH IT'S YOUR FAULT.

I've been wondering since I created why I keep getting miss-messages, pretty much daily. One day I'm going to get something good.