Lowering the Barriers to Group PvP

Comments

• Nim said:
    But great Cthulhu be damned to eternal sleep is it painful losing EXP...
    Thing is, at really low levels the amount you lose on death can be easily bashed back in half an hour (or less, depending on arties/class/hunting spots). At dragon or near-dragon levels, the loss from death is functionally insignificant (I died a couple of days ago and only lost... .8% maybe?), and dragon bashing will get it back in pretty much the same amount of time. Plus if you bash places with gold-for-corpse exchanges (Dun Fortress and Tir Murann, for example) you'll come out of it with a decent amount of cash for your trouble on top of the regained experience.

That said, I'll agree that bashing up through the 80s is painful, assuming you're in that bracket.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• I hope you're not trying to win me over by telling me that for the low, low price of a sizable fraction of my evening, I can get the EXP back from a single freaking death.

That's not even something you can convince me of. I play roguelikes where death means losing everything, but roguelikes are fun to play in a way that is very opposite to what bashing in Achaea is.
  • Personally I think any changes to PvP exp in ways gained like the aforementioned suggestions would result in experience farming. Only if this was the case to ensure more active people to join in would be no experience gained or loss. Which could go one of few ways...

First would be everyone will be constantly fighting and very little roleplay will be involved and it'd just come down to primarily PvP which eventually people will get bored of just constant PvP and move elsewhere. 

Secondly would be no one would really go into as the only benefit at this point would be just to flex your e-peen more or less. Which would just result in more RP potentially as the PvP side would just as mentioned for flavor.

Third would be everyone is happy not so much a Bloodbath's happening around sapience and still promote a healthy dose of RP. 

I'm all in favor of really xp staying the same. I think the majority of the reasons not many people flock to PvP would be there's often huge gap differences to basically you have to climb which results in generally either you have to know combat theory perfectly and/or invest a lot of money into artefacts just to attempt to be on somewhat level with someone vastly experienced. Also knowing how to code also benefits greatly and I know many myself included are at times scripting challenged and can only manage simple tasks. 

TL;DR:

There's very steep curve for someone to get into combat both financally, knowledge and time invested. Sadly not everyone is going to go for it no matter what way you stick the carrot...

My two cents on the matter..
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited March 2015
    Sarathai said:
    Nim said:
    But great Cthulhu be damned to eternal sleep is it painful losing EXP...
    Thing is, at really low levels the amount you lose on death can be easily bashed back in half an hour (or less, depending on arties/class/hunting spots). At dragon or near-dragon levels, the loss from death is functionally insignificant (I died a couple of days ago and only lost... .8% maybe?), and dragon bashing will get it back in pretty much the same amount of time. Plus if you bash places with gold-for-corpse exchanges (Dun Fortress and Tir Murann, for example) you'll come out of it with a decent amount of cash for your trouble on top of the regained experience.

That said, I'll agree that bashing up through the 80s is painful, assuming you're in that bracket.
    1 Death at 80 is still less loss than one kill on a dragon at 80.

Also been thinking about this a bit more, as others have said dying as dragon doesn't mean much. So if exp loss from pvp was gone entirely, then people would most likely be getting dragon in the speed as serpents with lupines from pvp. which honestly doesn't seem that high.

• How does it compare to killing someone else who is 80?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Pretty sure I was getting 16-20% off killing Achilles (dragon) when I was around level 81-82ish. I thought that was pretty noms at the time.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited March 2015
    Aedin said:
    First would be everyone will be constantly fighting and very little roleplay will be involved and it'd just come down to primarily PvP which eventually people will get bored of just constant PvP and move elsewhere. 

Secondly would be no one would really go into as the only benefit at this point would be just to flex your e-peen more or less. Which would just result in more RP potentially as the PvP side would just as mentioned for flavor.

I think your scenarios are a little exaggerated, but you're not wrong that there's risk involved with changing the current experience equations around. 

That said, I think the proper solution would be able to largely mitigate that risk. While something like totally removing experience loss might encourage people to fight all the time because they have nothing to lose, some sort of middle ground could likely preserve the feeling of loss as discouragement for this.

For instance, a solution that sped up the rate of experience regain would still allow for a tangible feeling of loss, while making the reality of the situation not nearly as painful. By not creating a huge increase in leveling from pvp, it likely wouldn't dramatically change the fabric of the game, rather encourage a certain subset of players to be more involved in group combat.

Ultimately, the point is that experience loss is a barrier for a certain subset of players, and keeping it exactly how it is will keep players who would otherwise participate in game dynamics from doing so. I find it hard to believe that there's no change that could be made that would at least help in alleviating this problem without risking doom upon everyone. After all, the risk you brought up was that people would be more encouraged to pvp, but the entire premise of this thread was that doing exactly that would be, to a certain degree a good thing. 

• Nim said:
    I hope you're not trying to win me over by telling me that for the low, low price of a sizable fraction of my evening, I can get the EXP back from a single freaking death.
    If half an hour or less is a too-significant amount of time, then I don't know that PvE or PvP would be do-able, at least not extensively. Haven't there been rants just recently about raids lasting for multiple hours at a time?
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."

• Difference #1 is that PvP is fun, PvE is not.

Difference #2 is that one death could be the result of a five minute fight, but cost thirty minutes to recover.

Difference #3 is that PvP is opt-in, while the choice for recovering EXP is hunting or being really good at PvP (or a class with a high chance of scoring group combat kills).

Also, there's more to PvP than raids.
  • With trans skills, 30 minutes of casual bashing should be the upper limit for bashing time from a single death (not heartstop, burst+death, or sitting around as a mana-less soul). If you're far from level 80 (you lose less XP at lower levels, and XP loss caps at level 80 so at higher levels it gets easier to earn XP while the loss stops increasing) or you have artefacts or bash more efficiently or are a knight, it will be a lot less than 30 minutes.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    Nim said:
    Difference #1 is that PvP is fun, PvE is not.

I understand you believe that, but that's your opinion. Some people actually enjoy PVE. Actually, a lot of people must enjoy PVE or we wouldn't have so many dragons who are well over level 100. There's no bonus that comes from being level 103 or beyond except a minimal gain in health to their overall pool. It could be argued dragons continue to hunt to get corpses for shrines, but nobody hunts that much just for corpses (going from 100-101 alone would fill a continent with shrines). 

Difference #2 is that one death could be the result of a five minute fight, but cost thirty minutes to recover.

True. It takes time to recover what you lost, but if your mind is on what you may be losing you're not really in the fight to begin with. You can't approach combat with that mindset. You win some, and you lose some. Everybody does both. But no one has to (see my response to point #3).

Difference #3 is that PvP is opt-in, while the choice for recovering EXP is hunting or being really good at PvP (or a class with a high chance of scoring group combat kills).

Everyone who wants to PvP, in most cases, needs a certain amount of XP to have a decent health pool to have a chance to survive in PVP. But whether you go beyond that is completely opt-in. There are fighters who hover around 80-90 and are completely content to do so because they don't enjoy hunting and don't need the extra health to do what they do enjoy. Of course it's nice to have dragons for group combat, but it's not a must-have; it's an opt-in too. 

Also, there's more to PvP than raids.

I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Once upon a time, sure. But there's definitely less and less 1v1 and fewer small skirmishes than before. Are you talking about contracts, bounties, and shrine defiling? If not, what else is there?
    Beyond this, we've discussed before what might happen to the dragon if XP loss was taken away. The people who put the hours in, despite XP losses themselves, end up with what amounts to a non-achievement. The lack of lost experience during dangerous endeavors (PvP) could easily swell the ranks of dragons to the point that it's just a joke (there are already 300 dragons in the realm) that just about everyone achieves sooner (or later). 
    edited March 2015
    Jacen said:
    How does it compare to killing someone else who is 80?
    At 84ish Dragon true death is 5-6% while a level 80 is maybe 1% or less.

Technically I think Dragons -still- lose more experience than I do on a death but on the other hand with massive crits it means less when they can clear through something that takes me ages to clear through.

• NimNim
    edited March 2015
    @Bluef: The difference between a normal dragon and @Penwize can be a thousand or even two thousand health, so that trifling sum does add up. Dragon health would help me survive certain things that Logosian health would not. Getting to level 80 at all requires a ton of PvP.

Fun is, in fact, a vital consideration. A lot of people find PvP boring or dumb, but PvE does not (except in very limited circumstances) require them to engage in PvP, yet the reverse is undeniable.

You also just listed three things that aren't raids. Duels are also still a thing, as is sparring and other arena games. As a Cyrenian, I get to spar a lot compared to raiding. Also, don't forget that arena matches are how people can win credits through being good at combat.

I'm considering it from an overall perspective that, generally speaking, I lose more EXP than I gain, so it's not a per-fight thing but an overall trend. Of course, this is sort of guaranteed to happen to someone, since PvP is not a zero-sum experience game, but an overall loss of EXP.
  • Nim said:
    @Bluef: The difference between a normal dragon and @Penwize can be a thousand or even two thousand health, so that trifling sum does add up. Dragon health would help me survive certain things that Logosian health would not. Getting to level 80 at all requires a ton of PvP.

Fun is, in fact, a vital consideration. A lot of people find PvP boring or dumb, but PvE does not (except in very limited circumstances) require them to engage in PvP, yet the reverse is undeniable.

You also just listed three things that aren't raids. Duels are also still a thing, as is sparring and other arena games. As a Cyrenian, I get to spar a lot compared to raiding. Also, don't forget that arena matches are how people can win credits through being good at combat.

I'm considering it from an overall perspective that, generally speaking, I lose more EXP than I gain, so it's not a per-fight thing but an overall trend. Of course, this is sort of guaranteed to happen to someone, since PvP is not a zero-sum experience game, but an overall loss of EXP.
    There are very few dragons at Penwize's level or with his health pool though. 

Duels are completely opt-in. Sparring and arena games don't in any way impact XP, which is what we were discussing. 

As I already mentioned, PVP does not require you to engage in PVE beyond a certain point. There are lots of fighters who gain levels beyond a base (for the health pool) primarily off PVP. If you want to PVP and push well beyond that base, then you're going to have to either kill a lot of people or hunt. If making it so that's easier for you is the goal, then the thread title should be changed to "Lowering the barriers to dragon," as your argument against XP loss doesn't have anything to do with actually entering PvP; it has to do with people being deterred by something (XP loss) they shouldn't be and allowing that to impact their willingness to enter into situations that result in combat.
  • edited March 2015
    Nim said:
    @Bluef: The difference between a normal dragon and @Penwize can be a thousand or even two thousand health, so that trifling sum does add up.
    Yes, the health does add up.

However, Penwize is level 136. The next-highest is level 123 or so. Below that it drops really fast. Jhui is #5 and level 116. Klendathu is #15 and 110. Just from #1 to #5 is a huge nosedive. From there, the levels continue to drop, and fast.

While I can't speak for everybody above 100, the dragons start at #297 and go down to #222. The dragon lords start at #221 and go down to #143. So of the 297 active dragons, more than half of them are "normal" dragons in terms of health gain from levels (arties will throw things out, obviously). And from there going up, it's another nosedive (there are only forty at 101st).

Basically, I don't think the health difference in super-high-level dragons should matter for the majority of PvP.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Again, i'm talking on the assumption people are serious about lowering PvP barriers. If people are happy with how the barriers are and limiting the amount of people that are involved in PK, then my post is meaningless.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited March 2015
    I'm not from the xp loss matters and you shouldn't care about it group, I was just sayig that you don't need to be a dragon to approach PvP with xp loss in mind and still enjoy and participate in PvP as many people actually do. XP loss itself I genuinely don't care about, you can keep it or remove it, whatever. Tecton seems to think it serves some purpose, I'm curious what that purpose is.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Jovolo said:
    I'm not from the xp loss matters and you shouldn't care about it group, I was just sayig that you don't need to be a dragon to approach PvP with xp loss in mind and still enjoy and participate in PvP as many people actually do. XP loss itself I genuinely don't care about, you can keep it or remove it, whatever. Tecton seems to think it serves some purpose, I'm curious what that purpose is.
    XP loss gives some meaning to dying. You might say that it's trivial for dragon level characters, but dragon level characters have gone through the hardship of bashing to get to dragon level. Some dragon level characters went through the perceived hardship of getting to dragon level when XP loss was far greater than it is now, when there were far fewer dragons because it was a lot more difficult (less areas, higher XP loss, etc) to get to dragon level.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the whole situation. Keep XP loss, reduce it, increase it, whatever. It seems to me that those people moaning that "it's not fair, it's too hard, wah wah wah" will find some other reason to carry on complaining one way or the other.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    It seems to me that those people moaning that "it's not fair, it's too hard, wah wah wah" will find some other reason to carry on complaining one way or the other.
    I kind of disagree with this.  I'd actually argue that we've seen a marked increase in interest in PvP since the days of things like damnation forced prayer, praying costing you HUGE amounts of xp, tree costing you almost as much, etc.  That should, at the very least, demonstrate the value xp has for people and its effect as a deterrent to participating in losing PvP.
    edited March 2015
    Penwize said:
    Klendathu said:
    It seems to me that those people moaning that "it's not fair, it's too hard, wah wah wah" will find some other reason to carry on complaining one way or the other.
    I kind of disagree with this.  I'd actually argue that we've seen a marked increase in interest in PvP since the days of things like damnation forced prayer, praying costing you HUGE amounts of xp, tree costing you almost as much, etc.  That should, at the very least, demonstrate the value xp has for people and its effect as a deterrent to participating in losing PvP.
    I think alot of that also had to due with the less amount of douchebags we have around now than we did before too, We still have a few not gonna name people but unlike when I played before the people in this game have turned into a pretty good community.

To be fair though when you have people like going to just throw out assumptions here, Jacen who is currently level 95 assuming aiming for dragon who would like to get into pvp related things but he's facing off against the Mighty Van Helsings, (Me and Draqoom) and is almost certain to die. He loses experience and the alternative here is to A bring a large group with him, B die and lose hours of boring work or C make his city look weak and like cowards because the guy doesn't want to give up 5 hours of bashing fighting people who can't really do anything but stand there and go HA HA! if you don't attack them.

Destroyed rooms can be fixed, Guards can be re-hired, 5 hours of bashing is alot of boring work. 

and honestly I'd say some of these others who are trying to get to dragon also would prefer not to  fight the Mighty Van Helsings, when the risk of dying is pretty huge and the bashing is a harsh consequence for just wanting to defend your city. and while yes sanctioned raids eliminate the loss of exp for non marks, it does take a few deaths that cost exp to get there.

While I still think that if we remove experience death from pvp the world will be over populated with dragons, but then again it's ALREADY over populated with dragons, it's just like a reward for doing a mind numbing service (no offense penwize since you seem to like it alot)

However, I think a change that might help with this would be for city deaths against players to make your experience loss none all the time (unless mark) and kills inside cities to give no experience.

On the other hand, I really got into pvp when I was in shallam and I happened to kill a dragon and get 6 levels off it. Was like being a car salesman who sells his first car and is hooked on it. just some things to consider.

Pretty much, We can keep things the way they are now, Turn pvp exp into something along the exp rates of serpent lupine snipers or, something along the lines in the above way.

Also for the record if dying in pvp didn't give exp loss I would be happy, I have a.. .8ish kdr and maybe in the 12ish years on and off playing this game i'd actually get to be a dragon.

Klendathu said:
    Jovolo said:
    XP loss gives some meaning to dying. You might say that it's trivial for dragon level characters, but dragon level characters have gone through the hardship of bashing to get to dragon level. Some dragon level characters went through the perceived hardship of getting to dragon level when XP loss was far greater than it is now, when there were far fewer dragons because it was a lot more difficult (less areas, higher XP loss, etc) to get to dragon level.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the whole situation. Keep XP loss, reduce it, increase it, whatever. It seems to me that those people moaning that "it's not fair, it's too hard, wah wah wah" will find some other reason to carry on complaining one way or the other.
    I feel like you are complaining about people complaining, and using it as some sort of argument. 

That one aside, how can you argue that xp loss is meaningful and then say that you are ambivalent to it. I assumed that something being meaningful implies that you would not be ambivalent about it. Unless the definition of meaningful changed recently, as I am assuming meaningful means something that people care about.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    edited March 2015
    XP loss gives some meaning to dying. I am ambivalent to the arguments to increase / decrease XP loss.

Ambivalence doesn't mean not having any feelings at all. Ambivalence is a state of having simultaneous conflicting reactions, beliefs, or feelings towards some object or issue.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Fair enough.

What kind of meaning does XP loss give to dying? What do you expect people to learn from losing XP, that they could not learn from simply dying?

-

As drawn by Shayde
    What is the negative consequence of starburst? Having to redef? Without some kind of penalty, death has no meaning.

The negative consequence of starburst is that in the majority of situations that you starburst, you will likely die again, in my experience. I lose a lot of my abilities on starburst, preventing me from being useful in a fight if I am in one, such as my baalzadeen, or viridian.

I can't answer your second question.

There are penalties to death currently, beyond losing xp. Losing xp just happens to be another penalty. Being not alive is not a useful state of being for one. When you die you the lose time that you spent up to being dead trying not to be dead. You may have lost resources such as curatives, essence and whatever else you may have used to try not to be dead up until you died. If you do not have someone to rezz for you, you lose the time spent dead that you could be using to play the game. Even if you have someone to rezz you, you will still be wasting a fair amount of time not being alive.

That is a lot of negative effects on your gameplay already. 

The people who do not care about these things, and the people who like/do not care/are ambivalent towards XP loss are all pretty involved in PvP already. If you are talking about lowering the barrier to PvP, then XP loss, in my opinion, is the next biggest barrier in terms of getting people who play the game on a more casual basis involved.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • @MishgulThat's pretty much exactly my take on it, as well, and I don't think I could have put it better.  Completely agree.
    If there's zero xp loss, then who cares if you die a second time after starburst? You probably won't have re-deffed so you won't lose many more curatives. Speaking of which, let's make curatives free too. Then we can get rid of praying time. Then there's no negative consequence for dying at all and we can all ride off into the sunset on our rainbow unicorns singing I'm a Barbie Girl.

I fail to see how any of those things are relevant to the removal of XP loss as I have defined it (the time barrier). I have definitely not argued for the removal of negative consequences either. If this is an elaborate troll, then well done for reminding me why I should not have taken the time out of my day to argue with you.

-

As drawn by Shayde
    Curatives cost gold. Gold has to be acquired, either through making and selling things, sale of credits, bashing (oh no, not bashing, it's the devil's work!), questing, etc. It can be argued, albeit reducto absurdum, that if XP loss is removed due to it being a negative consequence that takes time to regain, that curatives costing gold should also be removed because it takes time to get the gold back.