Lowering the Barriers to Group PvP

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I can't participate in the PK scene as fully as I'd like because I haven't complete all of the Azatlan talisman sets. Give them to me without me having to put any effort in.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Vaehl said:
    I am level 91 and have a level 1 sip ring (funny story, I won it for in an extermination contest with 1100 burns and second place was 60. I kept thinking second place was right behind me and went ham).

To be quite honest, even with these things I cannot do well against a lot of combatants of today that rely on damage simply because how artied offense is. The only reason I do win is because I'm an an Apostate (amazing damage mitigation) and I use lolworthy offensive strategies that only work because today's combatants are really defensively retarded.

Higher tier is a standard that is constantly increasing, not because of the many amazing strategies that are available (people hardly even try and innovate these days), but because of pay to win and it is definitely not easy for just anyone to get into it. Especially so for low level 80s, mid tiers, and of course people without arties.

Additionally, there is virtually no low level combat culture to both entertain low level fighters or get them into combat. With knight changes, knight will become a tritrans required class. Affliction classes suffer because server side curing is static for all levels and you need abilities from later in your skill set to defeat. Even damage-wise a lot of classes require trans for finishers and a large number of strong/varied strategies.

• That's very different to your "Couldn't compete in today's PK scene". All he said there was that he couldn't do well against a lot of combatants that use artied damage...? I think that's pretty fair tbh, although it sucks that being artied just costs so much money, but that's a very different issue.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I don't disagree that there's a barrier to entry, I just don't believe it's XP. The lack of lower ability combat scene is more to blame. You either get good damned quick, or get fed up of losing and don't bother any more.

The ability to enter the PvP scene without XP loss already exists, but people are conveniently forgetting it - arenas. I remember from when I played before my dormancy, there were arena events non-stop, restricted to house / city / order / etc that people used to get practice before fighting outside where there are risks.

If you're serious about getting into the PvP scene, start practicing in the arena if you don't want to risk losing the XP so apparently don't see the need to put any effort in to re-gain.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if we're fine with 
    - Vaehl-tier combat skill,
    -tons of time bashing,
    - hanging on to top PKers coattails, or
    - massive money investments
    being our barrier to get involved with group PK (both in city and out), then nothing needs to change and this thread is pointless.

If not, and we would like to improve the number of people participating in group PK, or make PK outside of sanctioned raid defenses be more prevalent, then we need to look at changing some things.
  • Most people are fine with looking at "changing some things", it's just the disagreement over that thing being removing experience loss. 
  • There are some issues with claiming that people should just get good enough to always be able to have net positive experience.

First, it only supports reducing experience costs being less necessary, rather then supporting it being a bad idea. If people waited until they could ensure that they win more then they lose, then we just wouldn't have the problem. There's no reason that reducing loss, or at least making it easier to make up for, would be anything but a positive.

Further, it just means arguing for a high skill barrier. If no one should get involved in group pvp until they're consistently good at it, it's going to make intercity conflict a heck of a lot more dull, with only a small percentage of people able to participate. 

Most importantly, though, it's just probably impossible. You can't guarantee that two groups will be equally artifacted or have equal numbers. Experience loss only exacerbates the disparities made by artifacts because it gives a large time punishment to losing or fighting a force with a higher monetary investment. Making it easy to regain lost experience would only make people who can't afford to do tons of damage, even if they are skilled, more able to participate. There's always going to be disparity between players in one variety or another, and making that less of an issue will only encourage participation.

• edited March 2015
    Not all methods of group combat will lose you experience if you die. 

You can practise combat without losing experience if you die. 

You can acquire experience by bashing every now and again to give yourself some leeway if you die. 

If certain people have already achieved combat skill, participation and relevance despite experiencing the same circumstances that others claim are setting them back and maintaining and even increasing their level of experience, then what's the difference between those two sets of people? I'm genuinely interested in what you think the answer to this question is. 
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Mishgul said:
    How many hours a  day/week are we assuming should be a standard to playing the game and being able to participate in PK and also how much time should be standard for bashing in comparison. Do the rewards outweigh the grind?
    I still want to know the answer to this one too.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited March 2015

Maybe have PvP give exclusively non-XP related rewards of some kind (but also not have any XP loss from PvP).  That way, no one can take away someone else's PvE grinding (because really, the XP pool is built up exclusively through PvE), and the people who are worried about people making dragon because of no XP loss won't have to worry about it. 

I'd rather just do no XP loss, honestly, but just looking for something people might go for.  That said, I have a feeling a fair number of people actually quite like taking someone else's grinding exactly because no one likes grinding. 

EDIT:  just to be crystal clear, not suggesting any change to PvE deaths, which would remain exactly as they are, because reasons.

• Mishgul said:
    Mishgul said:
    How many hours a  day/week are we assuming should be a standard to playing the game and being able to participate in PK and also how much time should be standard for bashing in comparison. Do the rewards outweigh the grind?
    I still want to know the answer to this one too.
    It's a bit of a weird question. How much of the time logged in are you going to be spending doing PK? How much time are you going to dedicate to other activities? For every hour you spend doing combat, you can probably spend up to half the time bashing to more than easily reacquire lost experienc eif you have any.
  • Jovolo said:
    Not all methods of group combat will lose you experience if you die. 

You can practise combat without losing experience if you die. 

You can acquire experience by bashing every now and again to give yourself some leeway if you die. 

If certain people have already achieved combat skill, participation and relevance despite experiencing the same circumstances that others claim are setting them back and maintaining and even increasing their level of experience, then what's the difference between those two sets of people? I'm genuinely interested in what you think the answer to this question is. 
    I mean, skill, obviously. You're not wrong that there would be really no problem if everyone got really good in the arena before participating in spaces where they would lose experience (which again brings question to the disadvantage of reducing or removing the loss of it).

Though people being able to get a net increase is also helped by not everyone getting to that proficiency before getting involved. That's part of the problem, that if everyone did reach a certain, rather decent level of proficiency before participating, we wouldn't have a ton of participation.

But really, I'm hoping that you're right about
     Jovolo said:
    Most people are fine with looking at "changing some things", it's just the disagreement over that thing being removing experience loss. 
    I've been suggesting that it would be more productive to critique some of the proposed solutions that aren't just removing experience loss for pages, now. I completely agree that just removing experience loss from pvp outright is probably a bad idea (and removing the gain as well, while fixing the issues, would be boring as heck). It seems that there are a quite a few voices against any change to the status quo, however.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    It's a fair point. At dragon, it's 12ish sidhe to make up for one starburst and the entire sidhe court to make up one true death for me, in the very likely scenario i have taken part in combat (as an apostate, i end up setting up kills for people in the bigger raids, rather than getting any myself). That's around 10-15 minutes of time  spent bashing/travelling for one death assuming the bashing itself goes without incident. 

However that's just from my point of view, and people will have difference experience in the experience gain/lose market.

That said, 10 mins is a fair amount of time to me today. Other people may disagree, and three years ago I would have to because I would spend like 15-16 hours a day playing achaea, but these days (maybe 2-3 hours of time a day) it's long enough that when people raid and I know there is a high chance of me dying, I will quit and play something else because I don't want to be set back 10 mins when I could just not be set back 10 mins instead. Thus I have been prevented from entering PK because I know I will have more fun not entering PK. 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • What are the other proposed changes?

• Remember we're not talking about the top tier of bashing effiency. We're targeting the people who aren't the best at what they do. People who will take 30 minutes to an hour to recover a true death. Takes me 20 minutes at level 95, and I've got a decent set of arties to help me out.
  • Silas said:
    What are the other proposed changes?
    I'm repeating myself, but personally I liked the suggested change about tracking the highest level of experience a person has achieved and then making it easier to reach that level. This could be achieved with either a flat increase of experience underneath this "Highest-Level-Achieved" threshold, such as a 50% increase, or a scaling method that increases experience increase depending on how far away from this threshold you are. A very simple outline would be a %*2 increase for every % you are underneath the treshold, reaching a 200% increase cap if you're an entire level away from the threshold. Very, very tentative numbers as they're just an example.
  • +200% if you're a level away seems extremely high, but I wouldn't care as much about making it easier to bash back what you lose. I still just don't think XP plays a significant part in deterring people from PK.

• Lemme talk about entitlement, since a bunch of the arguments (not all of them, but I'm happy to hear and discuss objective arguments, this post is just not about that) against removing XP loss boil down to "you're whiny, entitled, and lazy."

Just about all of the people arguing this are basically dragons with some sense of entitlement that because they reached dragon, that achievement should never be "tarnished" regardless of the reason, who feel entitled to insult people who think otherwise or who even come close to thinking otherwise (most people have not even argued it should be easier), and feel that somehow, they're entitled to have their opinion outweigh others.

With these accusations, @Mishgul has now been called entitled and lazy. You know, the guy who helped a ton of people even get into combat via omnipave, who gave it out for free so people had a free alternative to SVO. He's lazy and entitled and needs to fix his mindset. That is what you are arguing.

Being entitled in a video game is par. Everyone expects it to be fun, because, get this, Achaea ain't the only game out there, or even the only free-to-play one. If it's not fun, nothing stops you from doing something else instead. It's not about entitlement, people are suggesting ways of making the game easier to enter and play because, get this, they want it to grow - or, at the very least, they want to personally be more part of it.

Insulting people for striving for something like that is basically garbage, especially with the quality of some of the players you're implicitly insulting.

• Silas said:
    What are the other proposed changes?

Rip said:
    So, this is a thread I started about player killing... PKing - Improvements

Some awesome new things happened around here to help break down this PK barrier...

-Server Side Aliases complete with multiple commands and variables (so awesome)
    -Server Side Queuing System (Freeing up lots of lag issues)
    -Server Side Curing System (Less need for 3rd party scripts)
    -Many bug fixes and adjustments

My thoughts on XP...

First, keep the Experience Ranking system as it is, make it only effected by denizens.  If they kill you, you lose XP, if you kill them you gain XP.

Second add new XP bracket, for PK, we will call them "Notches"

- Reduces by one level every Achaean day if you had no Player kills, or if slain by another player.

- You gain 1 notch per player killed, 25 maximum points allowed per month.

- 1, 5, 10, 15 , 20, 25....6 cool perks.

(Just some ideas on how it could work...)
        - 1 Notch - Infamy! with a Notch in your *belt.  Opening you up to the Mark/Infamy scene.
        - Each kill you get another notch...
        - 5 Notches! More Infamy! with a Cooler Notch in your belt plus 5% XP gain for killing denizens, but suffer a 5% health loss due to your insane thirst for player blood!
        - More notches...
        - 10 Notches!- MORE INFAMY! With an even COOLER Notch...Little skull or something...BUT...Your inflated ego causes you to lose 10% of your mana pool, but you damage denizens with 4% critical bonus.
        - Even more notches...(You are showing off your belt now, knowing if someone kills you, your ego is goooooone......
        - 15 Notches!!! - MUCH MORE INFAMY!!! Awesome Notch added, 10% XP gain, 10% Health reduction...
        - 20 Notches!!! - More Infamy...more pros and cons...20% mana loss... 2% extra critical... 
        - 25 Notches! - Major Infamy!!  Bragging Rights! Fighting for your life to keep your notches +1 Strength etc. etc... (I would like at this point to add some cool Assassin/Hero Mark system, denizen assassins that show up and try to kill the player, they automatically have a Hire on them...things like that.)

Anyway, if a player kills you, you don't lose the XP you would gain or lose from hunting and killing denizens.  

If you are actively PKing, you are winning and losing notches, that have perks or work in some fashion to reduce the winning player's vitals a bit but make them effectively better at hunting with critical bonuses and XP boosts.

Or something similar. 

(*Belts sold separately...)

Sena said:
    Nakari said:
    I can't have been the first person to suggest it, but what if the game remembered what your highest point of experience gained was, and it was easier to catch back up to that point? I don't know, just altering the numbers for loss, at least in pvp, seems like it would go a long way towards helping.
    I've suggested this a couple times before. It would also allow XP loss to be drastically increased (so people would regularly lose multiple levels) and the cap removed (so dragons wouldn't be immune to XP loss), since the loss could be effectively temporary. It keeps the "risk" for dying, but with minimal lost time.
    Penwize said:
    I've thought about it a bunch, and I think I do sort of agree that xp loss does have some role in Achaea as it is.  I do think that there are alternatives to how it's currently done though that could lessen the impact it has on players who don't have as much time or interest in bashing.  Things like putting a diminishing value on xp loss over a certain amount of time, so that if you get killed a bunch in (for example) a shrine war or an icon war it'll hurt less, but a few one-off kills would be about the same.  Because really, that's sort of where the problems lie.
    Nim said:
    How about we fill this topic with discussion and new ideas?

My personal suggestion for EXP loss is thus:

1. Instead of losing EXP, you gain "negative experience," known hereafter as NXP.

2. Whenever you have NXP and are about to gain EXP, a fraction of that EXP goes to reduce your NXP instead. You gain the other fraction added to your EXP (as well as any left over from getting rid of all your NXP). We can dubiously put it at half for now, but a third, quarter, or fifth all work just as well.

3. Whenever you gain NXP, you gain a death point. These go away over time, and reduce all further NXP gains. Arbitrarily, we might say that they go down at a rate of once per six hours, and to keep the math down to something I know Achaea can do, cause EXP to go something like NXP`=NXP*6/(counters+6). Just an arbitrary calculation to show what I mean - not balanced or definite numbers, or even a suggested final formula.

NXP cannot make you lose levels, since it is not EXP. It just reduces your EXP gain until you pay it off. The only issue I see is that someone could accrue a huge amount of NXP and be stuck paying it off forever (insert student loan joke here), so maybe there could be some expensive or esoteric ways of removing it all at once. People'd totally pay credits for that.

The reason for #1 is so that you never actually lose something. Don't care about leveling up? You don't have to! The reason for #2 is so that a PvP failure never unduly punishes a PvE player, and so that PvE failures are not wasted time but merely obstacles that slow you down in the future. An economist might point out that it's still wasted time, but you still always advance. #3 is to encourage activity.
    Bah, original quote nested weird there. But this (as well as any reduction of losses that isn't total) should be the compiled list of  discussed alternatives, unless I missed something.

Unsurprisingly, I'm still for regaining experience faster after it's lost. As @Jovolo and @Sena have shown, it's relatively easy to tinker with the numbers and specifics. Personally, I like it because it should provide no change for people who gain net positive experience in a fight, instead only helping the people who fell behind to catch up, which makes combat no more lucrative in terms of gaining dragon. Additionally, it maintains the feeling of loss, keeping the psychological factors of actually losing something from dying in play.

• I so wish that either posts like the one Nim just made happened more often (because that is almost a unicorn right there, and there are very good reasons for that), or simply didn't need to be made.  The hypocrisy of some of Achaea's forum power players is just absolutely infuriating.  And it's more infuriating because they almost always get away with it.
  • The problem with your argument is that Achaea's existing playerbase is what has maintained its continued relevancy for the last 10+ years. Tarnishing the dragon achievement, and yes that's a good way to describe what was being discussed previously, might mean that some very long-time players don't have the same impetus to continue playing, to encourage others to play, etc. So while some ideas may be aimed at hoping to swell Achaea's base with new players, the overall impact could be much more negative. 

As for the topic of entitlement in games, the MMORPG blog had a recent article on this very topic, but it criticizes exactly what you're suggesting, arguing that "a large number of players feel entitled to being entertained, and this situation appears to grow larger as time passes by." While persons on this thread may not be arguing that they want to get something for nothing, there is the perception that they are complaining about having to work hard for something (and/or purchase artefacts, which is another hot topic, even though these actually support the game's maintenance and continued longevity).
  • edited March 2015
    Bluef said:
    The problem with your argument is that Achaea's existing playerbase is what has maintained its continued relevancy for the last 10+ years. Tarnishing the dragon achievement, and yes that's a good way to describe what was being discussed previously, might mean that some very long-time players don't have the same impetus to continue playing, to encourage others to play, etc. So while some ideas may be aimed at hoping to swell Achaea's base with new players, the overall impact could be much more negative. 
    I'm actually curious if this claim holds up. We've seen experience loss get dramatically mitigated in all instances before, did a good number of existing dragons quit the game when that happened or soon after? It seems like we can get the data to support one side of this argument or another. Heck, do people personally feel that their achievements have diminished in the wake of those changes?

Of course, all that aside, focusing this on dragon is a bit silly. If the people who cared about pvp xp loss wanted dragon, they'd just get dragon so that they wouldn't have to care about it anymore. No one is asking for that achievement, we're just discussing things that could have an impact on it. I.E. it would be more productive to discuss changes that could lessen the impact then to argue that the only good answer is to not change anything for fear of tarnishing dragon even a little (which, again, everyone adopting the mindset that pve is cool and they should do more of it and getting up to dragon to cease their xp worries, as seems to be commonly suggested, would do anyways). Not to mention that the chances of a solution being so drastic that it would make pvp be more efficient at gaining experience quickly then pve are pretty low.

Honestly, I think it's more entitled to claim that an achievement that you earned must never become easier then it was when you earned it, even as a consequence of a change not directed at it. Achievements aren't always going to have the same value, and if a change to the game, intended to affect a different segment of it, just happens to alter the value of your achievement, that's probably the cost of an improving game. Or should we never have moved away from guilds because it was harder to gain skills back then and, consequentially, harder to get dragon?

(though again, the best change would have almost no effect on the thing, so it's a silly focus of complaint)

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    Nakari said:
    Bluef said:
    The problem with your argument is that Achaea's existing playerbase is what has maintained its continued relevancy for the last 10+ years. Tarnishing the dragon achievement, and yes that's a good way to describe what was being discussed previously, might mean that some very long-time players don't have the same impetus to continue playing, to encourage others to play, etc. So while some ideas may be aimed at hoping to swell Achaea's base with new players, the overall impact could be much more negative. 
    I'm actually curious if this claim holds up. We've seen experience loss get dramatically mitigated in all instances before, did a good number of existing dragons quit the game when that happened or soon after? It seems like we can get the data to support one side of this argument or another. Heck, do people personally feel that their achievements have diminished in the wake of those changes?

Of course, all that aside, focusing this on dragon is a bit silly. If the people who cared about pvp xp loss wanted dragon, they'd just get dragon so that they wouldn't have to care about it anymore. No one is asking for that achievement, we're just discussing things that could have an impact on it. I.E. it would be more productive to discuss changes that could lessen the impact then to argue that the only good answer is to not change anything for fear of tarnishing dragon even a little (which, again, everyone adopting the mindset that pve is cool and they should do more of it and getting up to dragon to cease their xp worries, as seems to be commonly suggested, would do anyways).
    If your game's end achievement suddenly becomes the subject of mockery due to a massive change in mechanics, I would wager people would re-consider the large amount of time and money they've invested in it, yeah. I know I would. Several posts mocking the concept of XP loss in this thread support that.

There are so many ways to change death mechanics that don't interfere with XP loss or gain in a way that would impact dragon achievement. Some of those discussed here have some potential merit. But none of them, so far, focus on the heart of what many posts have revealed about the initial push for this discussion: That people want to be more entertained by bashing and want to feel less frustration when they die in PvP. Both these things can be influenced by mechanics, but at the core of them both are perceptions and a mindset about the game that not everyone agrees on.
  • I wouldn't call pushing a button X times to get Y EXP hard work, but that's just me.
  • Achaea's last words: "Damnit, if only our players had changed their mindsets!"
  • Yawn. 

• Cahin said:
    This game should be easier so that everyone can play it easily without having to invest time learning to play. We need a class revamp so that skill is no longer a barrier to getting into combat if you don't have a big checking account or a lot of time to bash. Here is my proposed idea for the new class system.

Yeah, @Nim has the right idea here. Bashing isn't hard, and no one wants the game to be easier/simpler. Heck, as it's often stated, the most efficient bashing is when you're not at risk of death.

Really, all anyone is asking for here is to to be able to engage in the fun challenging stuff without having to pay for that participation with as much of the boring, easy tedium. The admin have directly stated that pve is never going to be the focus of the game. It's never going to be as hard or as challenging or as unique as Achaean pvp is. All reducing the cost of fighting does is make it so people can play the hard parts more.

• Welcome to MMOs...?
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."