Lowering the Barriers to Group PvP

Comments

• NimNim
    edited March 2015
    I'm told dragons lose as much as I do. I get like one crit per each dragon's 10, or something like that. The health difference is considerable as well, I'd be crazy tanky at lv100. The rest of what you said (achievement, not having as much need to recover loss) only emphasizes that it's a positive feedback loop. Negative feedback loops reward you for failure and penalize you for success to keep the game in a balanced state regardless of a player's accomplishments.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Nim said:
    I'm told dragons lose as much as I do. I get like one crit per each dragon's 10, or something like that. 
    Dragons do lose as much as you do.  They have just earned more so it looks like less.  Dragon critical at around 40%. 1 in ten would be like 4%, which is around level 60. Level up more, noob
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Mishgul said:

• yeah I'm pretty sure I don't actually care enough about text levels to get to dragon, so I won't actually be doing that.
  • Nim said:
    I'm told dragons lose as much as I do. I get like one crit per each dragon's 10, or something like that. The health difference is considerable as well, I'd be crazy tanky at lv100. The rest of what you said (achievement, not having as much need to recover loss) only emphasizes that it's a positive feedback loop. Negative feedback loops reward you for failure and penalize you for success to keep the game in a balanced state regardless of a player's accomplishments.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. A PFL is a reinforcing relationship. For example, you hunt, you gain levels, and your health pool increases, your critical hits increase, etc. A NFL is the opposite of this in every way; NLF is a balancing relationship. When something happens, a NFL makes it harder for that same thing to happen again. XP loss would only be a NFL if it was harder for people to regain XP; that's not really the case. 

XP gain is actually a NFL because “negative” refers to the fact that, "a dynamic becomes weaker with iteration." For example, it's harder to get level 90 than level 80 and so on (you have to kill more things between each level).

But none of this has nothing to do with whether XP loss has a positive or negative effect on a player’s standing in Achaea has a PvPer. XP loss right now is actually quite beneficial at maintaining dragon as something that is a longer, drawn-out affair or end-goal for some players the way Elder Dragon has become for new dragons (and in the future they'll be something else to fill that need to quest toward something, I'm sure).

It may be frustrating to try to catch up with dragons XP-wise, but it isn't as though players don't have a chance to do so. That's just a perception and it fades somewhat the closer you get to the prize. XP gain and loss is pretty fair in my opinion - but I'm someone who worked her ass off for dragon and so I feel like anything that artificially intervenes to help others gain it now is something undeserved. 

Of course, Achaea could test the ideas proposed here by simply turning off XP loss (from PvP alone, if that's possible) for a weekend. If people go hog wild and engage in PvP, maybe there's something to it, but that doesn't mean it won't have to be balanced somehow if introduced long-term as changing one thing will generally impact something else that's not been thought of yet -- For example, people leveling up purely through PvP (diminishing PVE all together) due to a lack of repercussions or people wantonly engaging in PvP despite guidelines for justification, etc. 
  • I guess it all just depends on if you want to see more people in non-arena PK. If you're fine with how it is now, that's a perfectly valid opinion. Otherwise things have to change.
  • edited March 2015
    @Bluef, that isn't a negative feedback loop. That's diminishing returns.

ETA: Removing XP loss isn't gonna suddenly open the floodgates to dragon, really because you aren't losing levels upon levels per death. You're losing a few hours' work, I think, in most cases. People who still want to get to dragon will get there; you aren't doing anything except minorly inconveniencing them. Besides, dragon ceased to be an accomplishment so long ago now that there aren't even willing to entertain the notion of custom ceremonies. It's literally entirely automated (arguably like the process itself for a lot of people amirite).

Which is all to say that preserving a minor inconvenience and pretending that maintains the integrity of accomplishing dragon is a farce. You're treating dragon as a positional good when it isn't at all. Nobody else getting dragon diminishes either the accomplishment of dragon generally or your personal attainment thereof. Why are we treating it like one?
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • I've thought about it a bunch, and I think I do sort of agree that xp loss does have some role in Achaea as it is.  I do think that there are alternatives to how it's currently done though that could lessen the impact it has on players who don't have as much time or interest in bashing.  Things like putting a diminishing value on xp loss over a certain amount of time, so that if you get killed a bunch in (for example) a shrine war or an icon war it'll hurt less, but a few one-off kills would be about the same.  Because really, that's sort of where the problems lie.
  • Dragon is for casuals now. The real accomplishment is Double Dragon at lv200. You guys really gonna let @Penwize beat you there?
  • I liked the idea of keeping track of highest xp point and making xp gain 50% faster or something until you reqch that level (you could have the % increase amount vary depending on how close you are). I think that idea has some real merit
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    Jacen said:
    I guess it all just depends on if you want to see more people in non-arena PK. If you're fine with how it is now, that's a perfectly valid opinion. Otherwise things have to change.
    There could simply be a petition for more XP-free events. But now that I'm thinking about it, the same people join even these again and again. PK simply does not appeal to everyone. Making sweeping changes so it appeals to a few seems a little off. 

Mathonwy said:
    Removing XP loss isn't gonna suddenly open the floodgates to dragon, really because you aren't losing levels upon levels per death. You're losing a few hours' work, I think, in most cases. People who still want to get to dragon will get there; you aren't doing anything except minorly inconveniencing them. Besides, dragon ceased to be an accomplishment so long ago now that there aren't even willing to entertain the notion of custom ceremonies. It's literally entirely automated (arguably like the process itself for a lot of people amirite).

Which is all to say that preserving a minor inconvenience and pretending that maintains the integrity of accomplishing dragon is a farce. You're treating dragon as a positional good when it isn't at all. Nobody else getting dragon diminishes either the accomplishment of dragon generally or your personal attainment thereof. Why are we treating it like one?
    The idea that dragon isn't an achievement is your opinion. The Garden, from my understanding, didn't automate dragon because it wasn't an achievement anymore - they did it because the admin had to balance things that they actually had to work on with each individual dragon's ceremony. When no one was around to do the ceremony, or if you wanted to wait for RP reasons to have a specific divine handle it, you had to wait around for it. That was inefficient and didn't make a lot of RP sense anyway.

Contrary to your opinion, that it will be much easier to get dragon because players won't have to face XP loss would be an undeniable result. True, not everyone will work toward it but that doesn't negate the fact we'd be lowering the bar for it through such a change. Having played one of the other IRE games where everyone is pretty much dragon-level, I can tell you from personal experience that there is no real accomplishment associated with gaining it because it has become a norm.  

As one of the 300 people who put in the time and effort to obtain dragon despite XP losses, I would find that to be a gamechanger that would probably make me question whether I want to put anymore into 'achievements' in Achaea that were so easily cast aside to appease others' sense of entitlement to convenience. 
  • What is XP and where do I buy some?

• Why do these discussion perpetually devolve into most of the people discussing "xp loss exactly how it is now" and "0 xp loss." It seems like there is a whole ton of in-between space that workable solutions can be found in.

I mean seriously, this isn't the US congress. We can actually discuss solutions that both 'sides' think is productive without name-calling. :/

• Bluef said:
    Jacen said:
    I guess it all just depends on if you want to see more people in non-arena PK. If you're fine with how it is now, that's a perfectly valid opinion. Otherwise things have to change.
    There could simply be a petition for more XP-free events. But now that I'm thinking about it, the same people join even these again and again. PK simply does not appeal to everyone. Making sweeping changes so it appeals to a few seems a little off. 

Mathonwy said:
    Removing XP loss isn't gonna suddenly open the floodgates to dragon, really because you aren't losing levels upon levels per death. You're losing a few hours' work, I think, in most cases. People who still want to get to dragon will get there; you aren't doing anything except minorly inconveniencing them. Besides, dragon ceased to be an accomplishment so long ago now that there aren't even willing to entertain the notion of custom ceremonies. It's literally entirely automated (arguably like the process itself for a lot of people amirite).

The idea that dragon isn't an achievement is your opinion. The Garden, from my understanding, didn't automate dragon because it wasn't an achievement anymore - they did it because the admin had to balance things that they actually had to work on with each individual dragon's ceremony. When no one was around to do the ceremony, or if you wanted to wait for RP reasons to have a specific divine handle it, you had to wait around for it. That was inefficient and didn't make a lot of RP sense anyway.

Contrary to your opinion, that it will be much easier to get dragon because players won't have to face XP loss would be an undeniable result. True, not everyone will work toward it but that doesn't negate the fact we'd be lowering the bar for it through such a change. Having played one of the other IRE games where everyone is pretty much dragon-level, I can tell you from personal experience that there is no real accomplishment associated with gaining it because it has become a norm.  

As one of the 300 people who put in the time and effort to obtain dragon despite XP losses, I would find that to be a gamechanger that would probably make me question whether I want to put anymore into 'achievements' in Achaea that were so easily cast aside to appease others' sense of entitlement to convenience. 
    It sounds a lot like your enjoyment of your own accomplishments is contingent, in some way, on its inaccessibility to others. I'm not sure that's a healthy way to look at anything, let alone a game people play for fun.

On the whole, as far as penalties for dying go, XP loss is a boring mechanic. It's cookie-cutter by design, feels bad to lose, is boring to bash back up, offers nothing special to the game itself, and drives up issue incidents. There's literally no benefit to having it in the game; in much the same way that stealing credits from someone isn't possible, neither should it be possible to steal time from them. There's also a sense in which, if you have a bad day in PvE or PvP or are having lag issues etc, you literally would have been better off not logging in at all. I don't think that's a pattern of behavior you ever want to reinforce for your game.

(There may have been some benefit to having it in the game when the XP cap was in place at level 100 or something, because that was literally the only way to get it from someone who had it and it made sense within that context, but that doesn't mean there couldn't've been a better way to make that happen.)

Some version of essence loss, I would postulate, actually is a good deterrent against death (assuming 1. you had to be essence positive to use shrine powers, 2. you're in an order that cares about such things, and 3. that you once again lost essence while bashing). It's an optional mechanic with decent perks that rewards involvement but doesn't impede progress in other areas of the game. Extended praying sequences are also a pretty good way to ensure death remains meaningful, especially if the extensions accumulate to a cap, in both PvE and PvP. It gives you time to cool down/think about what happened and what could've gone differently, and in the case of PvP, gives raiders/defenders a chance to take objectives.
    Saeva said:
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • How about no levels at all? Might as well only have bashing for gold purposes really. Give different health per stats but give the same baseline for everyone...

(Sarcasm)
  • How about we fill this topic with discussion and new ideas?

My personal suggestion for EXP loss is thus:

1. Instead of losing EXP, you gain "negative experience," known hereafter as NXP.

2. Whenever you have NXP and are about to gain EXP, a fraction of that EXP goes to reduce your NXP instead. You gain the other fraction added to your EXP (as well as any left over from getting rid of all your NXP). We can dubiously put it at half for now, but a third, quarter, or fifth all work just as well.

3. Whenever you gain NXP, you gain a death point. These go away over time, and reduce all further NXP gains. Arbitrarily, we might say that they go down at a rate of once per six hours, and to keep the math down to something I know Achaea can do, cause EXP to go something like NXP`=NXP*6/(counters+6). Just an arbitrary calculation to show what I mean - not balanced or definite numbers, or even a suggested final formula.

NXP cannot make you lose levels, since it is not EXP. It just reduces your EXP gain until you pay it off. The only issue I see is that someone could accrue a huge amount of NXP and be stuck paying it off forever (insert student loan joke here), so maybe there could be some expensive or esoteric ways of removing it all at once. People'd totally pay credits for that.

The reason for #1 is so that you never actually lose something. Don't care about leveling up? You don't have to! The reason for #2 is so that a PvP failure never unduly punishes a PvE player, and so that PvE failures are not wasted time but merely obstacles that slow you down in the future. An economist might point out that it's still wasted time, but you still always advance. #3 is to encourage activity.
  • edited March 2015
    Have it decay over time like infamy instead of batched at the end of X hours.

ETA: or introduce perks that are convenient but nonessential and have the ability to use those perks docked for X hours or Y experience or something.
    Saeva said:
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
  • If by batched you mean "all of them," I actually meant one death point per six hours.

It was just an estimate. It could be three hours. It could even be losing 1/5th your points (rounded up) every five hours.

Lost over time, gradually, in some way that (as mentioned above) encourages players to stay active rather than give up after a death, because player activity is important.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Santar said:
    If you PK responsibly, you should go up in experience, or at least not lose very much due to how much you'll gain from killing higher level people. 

What fun would it be to pk responsibly.
    Cleaving people in a 10v10 or 15v15 fight.
    Running in and trying to shin annihilate people into the city.
    Running in and forcing people to leap into the city.
    Going infront of mhaldor and trying to double block before they beckon.
    Using my 800 credit artifact wings and hitting a totem+retardation everytime in clouds.
    being a bard.

Those things are fun, and will generally get you killed alot.

Klendathu said:
    If there's zero xp loss, then who cares if you die a second time after starburst? You probably won't have re-deffed so you won't lose many more curatives. Speaking of which, let's make curatives free too. Then we can get rid of praying time. Then there's no negative consequence for dying at all and we can all ride off into the sunset on our rainbow unicorns singing I'm a Barbie Girl.
    Back in my day 1 moss would cost you like 40 gold. Which was personally a huge turn off to pvp because well 150 moss = 1 creditish, Nothing was cheap at all I think Moss and Ginseng was the top of the cost list with both being about equal.

So you know what alot of ther serpent playerbase did? Yeah they just kept looping Ginseng over and over and laughing because it costed so much.

• Speaking solely from personal preference, I'd rather have experience be lost and then regained faster then have no loss and have any future gains be slower. I don't really have an argument as to it being better that way, but I suppose I just enjoy watching the numbers go up much faster then usual more then I think I'd enjoy crying at it being even slower if I ever did decide to hunt.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    Mathonwy said:

It sounds a lot like your enjoyment of your own accomplishments is contingent, in some way, on its inaccessibility to others. 
    How is achieving dragon inaccessible to anyone? It's not. Therefore the argument that my enjoyment of it being premised on that is both a misleading and false dilemma. 

That said, I've been suggesting for over a page now that dragon is an achievement in-game that people are erroneously trying to tether to PK barriers. Let me put it to you this way: If someone completes 2 out of 3 of Lorielan's mazes, should they get credit for all three? Or perhaps a better analogy: If the mazes are changed and made easier for everyone to make their way through, should they get the same honours line as those who went through before them?

Dragon and honours lines are obviously not exactly the same, but the basic proposition that I'm making is: Attaining Dragonhood is a lofty goal and a great prize for those who reach level 99. The notion that people can't get into PK because of XP loss - and then arguing on about how we shouldn't care how that impacts how quickly may gain dragon because who cares it's just dragon - is an exercise in circular logic. We don't care about dragon! It's not an achievement! We want to keep our XP so we can gain dragon too!

And around and around we go. 

Death may be inconvenient, the added hunting when you die may be boring and frustrating, but dying adds meaning to the decisions we make and actions we undertake in Achaea. Games that have no real consequences are not interesting. They offer no opportunities to learn from your mistakes or the gratification that comes through rewards for your progression. Changes to the death mechanics in Achaea may revitalize it somewhat, but completely wiping away XP loss may also unravel it. This isn't WoW. We're not seeing a high enough number of new players every day to suggest that removing it would result in anything other than the majority of players at very high levels. If this is the goal, rather than the stated purpose of this thread, then I guess the idea is on-target. 

There are benefits to death too that few people are talking about. Having to pray or wait for a resurrection, and then renounce grace offers a cooldown to conflict. It gives you a moment to regroup both mechanically in terms of where you are, what state your system is in, and also emotionally. There's also essence loss, as was mentioned previously, and death itself is a deterrent to bad behavior. Burn a forest, you die. Steal or harm someone, you die. Without meaningful repercussions, what will happen? People will become frustrated about new things, probably the lack of vengeance potential in the game for wrongful acts, and I'd guess we'd see a whole lot more issues.

I've already mentioned previously that PK events are not incredibly popular. When people join them, the majority of those who join do so and either a) try to outrun assailants or b) join just to freebie try to kill others, ignoring the basic goal of the game all together. It makes me wonder how successful negating XP loss all together really would be for lowering the barrier to conflict, especially since what seems to keep most people out are other things like lack of combat skills, lack of confidence in the abilities they do possess, and a negative attitude toward losing. 

As for the concept of "negative experience" that's been proposed, you're basically asking for a cosmetic life experience bonus with "Whenever you have NXP and are about to gain EXP, a fraction of that EXP goes to reduce your NXP instead. You gain the other fraction added to your EXP." Death points? How would these be introduced in an in-character way? Thoth suddenly decided to throw out purposeful living and make living and dying a game?

Motivation to gain XP comes from within a person in the same way that overcoming losses does. Some people can pull from it, and some people come on the forums and start huge threads about how we need to change the death mechanics system so they feel better about dying. 
  • Bluef said:
    Dragon and honours lines are obviously not exactly the same, but the basic proposition that I'm making is: Attaining Dragonhood is a lofty goal and a great prize for those who reach level 99. The notion that people can't get into PK because of XP loss - and then arguing on about how we shouldn't care how that impacts how quickly may gain dragon because who cares it's just dragon - is an exercise in circular logic. We don't care about dragon! It's not an achievement! We want to keep our XP so we can gain dragon too!

And around and around we go.
    I must not be the person you're arguing with.

I want to keep my EXP so I can PvP, because levels are a prerequisite to not dying in PvP.

If I suddenly had a PvE HP, derived from levels, and a PvP HP, derived only from constitution (and artefacts and other health-affecting things, but not level), I would suddenly not care about levels much at all.

Being a dragon is unappealing to me for a multitude of reasons. The time it takes to become one is not the sole reason - there's a good chance I would just refrain from becoming one if I ever miraculously did reach the required level.
  • Bluef said:

I agree that I don't think the admin are going to do anything abut XP loss and I'm happy about that. With the loss of so much history lately due to the destruction of Houses via the Renaissance, nerfing the dragon achievement by putting its acquisition on easy mode would probably be the last straw for some long-time players.
    This discussion has been really interesting to read, but seeing arguments like this just makes me cringe -- there is no evidence in mud I've played (Achaea or otherwise) that suggests that lowered experience loss upon death would result in a diminishing playerbase. At best, this is speculation. In fact, a lot of the people I know don't find levelling an immersive and fun experience, but rather thinks it is tedious.

Anyway, I bashed all the way to dragon and it is hardly some sort of grand amazing achievement just at the very edge of what can be humanly achieved. It takes some time, sure, but less time than it takes (or took) to reach max level and get some decent gear in some of the popular MMOs out there. Granted, I did most of my 80+ levelling during an increased experience event, but I'd like to claim that the addition of these events have 'nerfed the dragon achievement by putting its acquisition on easy mode', without a negative impact on long-time players.

I suppose I just find it odd that the counter-argument to lowering the penalties of PvP are centered wholly around PvE. I think an interesting option would be to introduce PvP levels or ranks of some sort. Killing a person grants a number of points, while dying removes these points. As you level up, you earn new perks/benefits/health/artifacts/whatever. A lot of games have a system of this sort, but not Achaea.
  • Oh, that's idea #2.

Some crazy Thoth currency shop where you can buy temporary artefacts ala Link Between Worlds, but if you die, you lose a bunch. Some of the artefacts would be incomplete versions of the ones you can normally otherwise get (like maybe a veil piercer, or wings that only work for X time after someone else uses their own), some of them would be new things, and some would be one-use items.

This would be instead of gaining or losing EXP. You'd gain a basic one token plus a portion of your target's, and maybe extra if they're a mark to encourage killing marks.

I'm not super crazy about it, but it's a thought!
  • Mathonwy said:
    It sounds a lot like your enjoyment of your own accomplishments is contingent, in some way, on its inaccessibility to others. I'm not sure that's a healthy way to look at anything, let alone a game people play for fun.
    This is nonsense. The most valued achievements amongst completionist gamers are the ones that are the most difficult to achieve, which generally have the most unforgiving conditions.

Nobody gives a crap about getting 5 gamerscore for turning a game on, but people would be pissed if it was changed so that the guys on the plane in the Mile High Club achievement had their guns switched out to nerf guns and couldn't actually kill you anymore, because that ruins the perceived value of the achievement to cater to the people who won't put in the effort to do it as it is now.

Dragon is that type of achievement in Achaea - increasingly so with the continued nerfs to reduce its actual value - and dragon (and level 80 for no sleep) is the real only allure in the grind for XP. The extra 50 health per level is not substantial enough to be its own reward.

This is also why I shake my head when people talk about end-game content for Achaea, as if Achaea is World of Warcraft and everybody should need to hit level 99 to participate in some part of the game. Dragon is not end-game for Achaea. There is no reason to make dragon end-game, or to continue to devalue it as an achievement for those people who care about it.

Leaving things as-is will not harm anybody. The mindset of some people, and the value they place on XP in Achaea when they have no intention of actually achieving dragon (which to me is just mind-boggling), is the problem.

That, and the general entitled whininess of some people who think everything needs to be made easier because they're too lazy to do things properly.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    yes but we are talking about lowering barriers. Is this your argument against lowering barriers? Do you think achaea should exclusively be accessible to the people you approve of?

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I would say it's an argument against the specific suggestion of lowering experience loss as a means to lower barriers into PK, so fairly relevant. I don't really understand what that has to do with a desire of exclusivity over the entire game.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The part where he suggests leaving this as is, suggests he is happy with who we have and the playerbase we want to maintain.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae