Lowering the Barriers to Group PvP

Comments

• edited March 2015
    No point in talking for others.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The problem here is that fixing attitude isn't an obvious quantitative change. It's obvious that whoever has the best circle of OOC friends will do better in PK, but that's also not an easy solution to simply implement into Achaea. I can't provide evidence of fixing attitude making everything better.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    The part where he suggests leaving this as is, suggests he is happy with who we have and the playerbase we want to maintain.

I really don't think the way experience works is a cause for concern in regards to Achaea's playerbase.

If you want to look at 'barriers' for new players, then look no further than the enormous macro-transactions.

• What about the side that doesn't get kills, dies, and then still ends up on negative experience? Assist XP will go a long way to help the side that already wins PK conflicts while providing a small consolation for the side that loses. Do you think that suddenly cities like Hashan, Cyrene and Targossas will change their attitude towards PK if the kill experience was shared among the group rather than individual players who secure the kills? If yes, why? Should we make PvP outside of the arena a factor of the game with no real negative consequence? 
    Santar said:
    Mishgul said:
    The part where he suggests leaving this as is, suggests he is happy with who we have and the playerbase we want to maintain.

I really don't think the way experience works is a cause for concern in regards to Achaea's playerbase.

If you want to look at 'barriers' for new players, then look no further than the enormous macro-transactions.
    This is a given but the business model is outside my comfort zone to put into scope.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    I think it bears mentioning that anything that can be done can be undone; we needn't be afraid to explore different incentives for fear of what might happen. If expanding the (popular?) rules on sanctioned raiding results in a net positive, so much the better. If it doesn't, changing back would leave us no worse off. Why all the hand-wringing over hypothetical problems that haven't even been given a chance to materialize? This thread is addressing itself to what some of us see as a real and existing problem. And turning our guns on the pay model seems to me a red herring, at least in the sense that it's probably beyond the scope of fruitful discussion. 
  • Game of war, clash of clans, farmville, mafia wars, innumerable other apps and games out there get untold thousands of dollars dumped into them; I don't see achaea as stand out ridiculous as far as money-pitting goes. I can and will play the game as is, I just will continue to eyeroll and wander off in boredom if engaged aggressively. Maybe I'm an unreasonably entitled whiner, I dunno, but I don't think that there should be a mechanical penalty for engaging with other players, especially when that engagement is an indulgence of their chosen goodtimes and not mine.

• Rolling your eyes and wandering off in boredom is fine. You don't have to engage with other people who want to impose on your good times. I do the same nowadays, but it's not because of XP - I just have no interest in it.

That's fine, and is a perfectly valid way to play Achaea. You have no interest in something, so you don't get involved in it.

The entitled whiners are the ones who want to get involved but only in a way where they cannot lose anything, because they're bashing to dragon.

We might try harder to avoid substituting ad hominem attacks and name-calling for the normal give-and-take of reasonable people. I think we deserve better from each other and ourselves.
  • Artefact: linen handkerchief
    Restores lost experience from your last death. 
    Syntax: WIPE TEARS
    Taking the linen handkerchief in both hands, you dab the tears from your eyes.

Not sure how much something like this should cost. Seems pretty overpowered, so the obvious solution would probably be to offer it as a unique, one time only auction item before making it available to the rest of the population one month later for ~2500 credits.

• Cahin said:
    Artefact: linen handkerchief
    Restores lost experience from your last death. 
    Syntax: WIPE TEARS
    Taking the linen handkerchief in both hands, you dab the tears from your eyes.

Not sure how much something like this should cost. Seems pretty overpowered, so the obvious solution would probably be to offer it as a unique, one time only auction item before making it available to the rest of the population one month later for ~2500 credits.

• edited March 2015
    I don't understand how many people are going to have to say that we find experience loss a meaningful barrier before people are going to deny that we exist. Or maybe they'd just keep telling us that we're wrong and clearly have other issues that are stopping us from participating instead. I mean, sheesh, the forums are already a fraction of the player base. A handful of people saying they find it an issue should probably highlight that it might, I don't know, actually be an issue.

Or we get this argument:
    @Bluef said:
    Motivation to gain XP comes from within a person in the same way that overcoming losses does. Some people can pull from it, and some people come on the forums and start huge threads about how we need to change the death mechanics system so they feel better about dying. 
    Because really, what we all need to fix is our mindsets. Ignoring the silliness of saying that everyone should just decide to enjoy a part of the game that they dislike (and that even the producers have said is, and always will be, boring), this seems to highlight a rather absurd, unsupported claim that people who argue for the status quo repeatedly make. That is, that experience loss as it is now, particularly after a few previous changes, is low enough that no one should really mind it, or should easily be able to work past it with a little bit of willpower, but at the same time is high enough that it causes dragon to become a meaningful achievement. This is really just paradoxical, of course, since if everyone just changed their mindsets about experience and stopped caring/minding then it would have the same effects on dragon that they claim mechanically changing it would, but the allure of the status quo prevails.

And no, this isn't true either:
    Silas said:
    Leaving things as-is will not harm anybody. The mindset of some people, and the value they place on XP in Achaea when they have no intention of actually achieving dragon (which to me is just mind-boggling), is the problem.
    I am level 80. I used to be 81, but lost it and haven't bothered get back up to it. I don't care about dragon right now, and don't know if I ever will. This does not mean that it doesn't make sense to care about experience loss, however, and it's rather silly to suggest it does. Firstly because, as is noted in that exact post, gaining Logosian is an achievement, one that does take time and makes the game significantly less tedious (as was pointed by @Caladbolg, who seems to even have the mindset that's being advocated for), and one that is significantly more losable then dragon without regular hunting. But more importantly, this is a game where health quite directly is based on levels. A certain amount of health is needed to even begin to participate in combat, level 80 often being bandied about as a decent point where one can start to meaningfully participate. Not caring about dragon does not mean that I can realistically not worry about having to maintain my health pool, and that necessitates valuing experience.

And a lot of these arguments just seem to ignore the reality of the game. for instance, the claims similar to:
    Silas said:
    Lowering XP loss isn't lowering the barrier to group PK. There is 0 xp loss during sanctioned raids, and people still cry on forums.
    totally ignore how much combat, or participation in it, doesn't always happens in sanctioned raids. I can't sit in Mhaldor telling people that I'll defend when it becomes a raid when people are out skirmishing on the isle. And this isn't some minor happening, since three cities have areas that they tend to defend as if it was their city. Not to mention that shrine conflict is heavily pushed for in several cities, and small-scale skirmishing in a city might not cause a sanction. If all group pvp happened in sanctioned raids, no one would care about experience loss (and I'll point out again how claiming that something like the quoted is hugely significant massively undermines the claims about runaway hunters getting to dragon were a change made).

And I am still perplexed as to why so many people seem stuck only arguing against a single implementation (that is, all experience loss removed). Despite multiple people talking about it and suggesting variations on a system that would increase experience gain until someone caught up to where they were, no one has offered a single meaningful critique to it, choosing instead to pick the option that they can most easily argue against, it seems. After all, such a system wouldn't allow for all the doom and gloom about dragon, since if someone caught up to their previous experience in the fight there would be nothing to regain at a faster rate. I honestly am not sure why changing it so that, say, a single death only cost you fifteen minutes of bashing rather then thirty would be anything but an improvement under the current system, and even for people who wanted dragon it would only make pvp engagement slow you down less. (And in case anyone is going to argue "but then everyone will just ask for it to be even easier," I'm going to go ahead and suggest that such a debate would be far more productive after such a change would be tested, and is actually completely unresponsive to whether or not such a change would be an improvement). Seriously, at the very least argue against a solution other then total removal just to make this whole debate a little less repetitive.

If anyone actually has read this far, I apologize if this post is found to be overly snarky or rude or something of the sort. I happen to be rather tired of being told that these claims are
    Silas said:
     the general entitled whininess of some people who think everything needs to be made easier because they're too lazy to do things properly.
    It is ridiculous to claim that it's 'entitled whininess' to dislike being forced to spend long hours on an aspect of the game that the admin have admitted is, and always will be boring, just for the privilege of getting to participate in the part of the game that they claim is what the focus of development is. Especially when conflict, especially in terms of combat, is only being increasingly encouraged. Two cities require participation in group combat, cities are more and more at each others throats, orders are more and more polarized. It's hardly whining to want to be able to participate in what is nay increasingly a huge segment of the game, as well as the rp of entire factions. After all, if I wanted to go spend hours grinding, as Serapis said in a different thread, I should really just go play a game that pours it's entire budget into it. At least then I get to press a few more buttons.

tl;dr: contradictory arguments are bad arguments. Arguing for the status quo in a shifting game landscape in which combat participation is increasingly necessary is probably not the best argument either. And please, if you want to argue for the status quo, at least argue against more then the solution that's easiest to predict apocalyptic consequences for.

Neglible XP loss is already available to anyone willing to autobash/powerlevel for a few RL months first. If we decide to continue using this treadmill as the price for purchasing the Linen Handkerchief so many are already using, maybe we should screen new players for the essential attitude required to enjoy Achaea as some of our more conservative voices suggest.  
  • Nakari said:
    It is ridiculous to claim that it's 'entitled whininess' to dislike being forced to spend long hours on an aspect of the game that the admin have admitted is, and always will be boring, just for the privilege of getting to participate in the part of the game that they claim is what the focus of development is.
    It is ridiculous to claim that anybody is forced to spend long hours bashing to participate in PvP.

Silas said:
    Nakari said:
    It is ridiculous to claim that it's 'entitled whininess' to dislike being forced to spend long hours on an aspect of the game that the admin have admitted is, and always will be boring, just for the privilege of getting to participate in the part of the game that they claim is what the focus of development is.
    It is ridiculous to claim that anybody is forced to spend long hours bashing to participate in PvP.

May we appeal upon you to unleash your powers of reason on her other arguments or shall we simply talk past them?
  • Silas said:
    Nakari said:
    I don't think I've ever wanted the disagree button more then I do right now.

The proper response to this would go find and quote forum discussions, house requirements, in-game discussions/wisdom, look at the health difference between 60 and 80, compare those numbers with the damage that some of the new knight specs can easily output, and maybe manage to phrase them all wittily. I'm really hoping that doing so isn't necessary, though.

• edited March 2015
    Silas said:

This is nonsense. The most valued achievements amongst completionist gamers are the ones that are the most difficult to achieve, which generally have the most unforgiving conditions.
    The majority of games today have split PvE from PvP completely (in terms of risks and rewards, generally, if you want PvP perks you have to engage in PvP, and the same goes for PvE) without taking away from the experience of either. Additionally, IRE games are amongst the few remaining games that I play where it is actually possible to lose levels. It is possible to find alternative approaches to death and it is possible that people shy away from PvP because they do not wish to lose some of the progress they have already made. I think this thread would be a whole lot more useful if people tried to offer different solutions to the problem instead of trying their hardest to tell everyone else how wrong they are. Achaea is not a bubble, and if you want to retain new players coming here - which is essential to keeping the game going for forever - then you have to realize that they are going to have vastly different expectations on the game than anyone that has spent the last 10-15 years mudding. This is more a comment in regards to the general attitude in this thread than any specific post (although Silas's post was the one that prompted my response); I have this feeling that people are looking at this from the angle of what they want out of the game, rather than how we collectively can make PvP more appealing to non-combatants.

The only recipe for bringing new people into PvP is changing the ratios of investment, risk, and reward. By making PvP more accessible to people that are not serious combatants, you will be alienating seasoned fighters for giving everyone else a free pass. The general mindset seems to be: I worked so fricken hard to learn combat, why shouldn't they? I personally think the best approach is to make PvP more accessible -- lower experience death on loss, reduce the gap between full artefacts and no artefacts, reduce the gap between omnitrans and tri-trans. At the same time, create new ways for top-tier fighters to distinguish themselves and add tangible rewards for participating in combat at any level. PvP-focused artefacts could be introduced, PvP racial traits could be unlocked, more health/mana/damage mitigation could be provided, PvP-tier credit rewards, essentially, in a mud, you can give a whole lot of useful perks/benefits to people that excel in a specific area and combat should not be an exception.

Regardless of all of that, I somehow doubt that dying in PvP is the main contributor in limiting people from achieving dragon. It may be for some of the more dedicated fighters, but not a huge segment of the playerbase dies in PvP 3-5 times per day.

Santar said:

This is true at the highest tiers of combat, but not so much at the entry level, and particularly so for group combat. Achaea could always take a page out of Aetolia's book by introducing trinkets that do not stack with artifacts (+1 stats, +sip, etcetera) if you want to reduce the gap between non-paying customers and paying customers. Overall, I think IRE as a whole has taken steps in the right direction (the 1,000 lesson packages were great). Anyway, I still think that artefact and lesson prices are not the prime concern here; a lot of people that are playing the game stay out of combat altogether even though they have artefacts or a lot of transed skills. It may be the main issue for some people, but definitely not all.

Personally, I generally preferred group combat over individual combat when I played muds. Raids against cities are stressful because you are obligated to participate and they sometimes stretch on for a very long time. Temporary objectives (Aetolia), or territorial skirmishes (Wheel of Time-mud), or even miniboss/capture the flag objectives can be a lot of fun. I have no idea how sanctioned raids work in Achaea, but I'll try to participate when I have the opportunity.

EDIT:
    I JUST WON THE 100 COMMENTS BADGE! I AM INDOMITABLE! ^_^
  • So, this is a thread I started about player killing... PKing - Improvements

Some awesome new things happened around here to help break down this PK barrier...

-Server Side Aliases complete with multiple commands and variables (so awesome)
    -Server Side Queuing System (Freeing up lots of lag issues)
    -Server Side Curing System (Less need for 3rd party scripts)
    -Many bug fixes and adjustments

My thoughts on XP...

First, keep the Experience Ranking system as it is, make it only effected by denizens.  If they kill you, you lose XP, if you kill them you gain XP.

Second add new XP bracket, for PK, we will call them "Notches"

- Reduces by one level every Achaean day if you had no Player kills, or if slain by another player.

- You gain 1 notch per player killed, 25 maximum points allowed per month.

- 1, 5, 10, 15 , 20, 25....6 cool perks.

(Just some ideas on how it could work...)
        - 1 Notch - Infamy! with a Notch in your *belt.  Opening you up to the Mark/Infamy scene.
        - Each kill you get another notch...
        - 5 Notches! More Infamy! with a Cooler Notch in your belt plus 5% XP gain for killing denizens, but suffer a 5% health loss due to your insane thirst for player blood!
        - More notches...
        - 10 Notches!- MORE INFAMY! With an even COOLER Notch...Little skull or something...BUT...Your inflated ego causes you to lose 10% of your mana pool, but you damage denizens with 4% critical bonus.
        - Even more notches...(You are showing off your belt now, knowing if someone kills you, your ego is goooooone......
        - 15 Notches!!! - MUCH MORE INFAMY!!! Awesome Notch added, 10% XP gain, 10% Health reduction...
        - 20 Notches!!! - More Infamy...more pros and cons...20% mana loss... 2% extra critical... 
        - 25 Notches! - Major Infamy!!  Bragging Rights! Fighting for your life to keep your notches +1 Strength etc. etc... (I would like at this point to add some cool Assassin/Hero Mark system, denizen assassins that show up and try to kill the player, they automatically have a Hire on them...things like that.)

Anyway, if a player kills you, you don't lose the XP you would gain or lose from hunting and killing denizens.  

If you are actively PKing, you are winning and losing notches, that have perks or work in some fashion to reduce the winning player's vitals a bit but make them effectively better at hunting with critical bonuses and XP boosts.

Or something similar. 

(*Belts sold separately...)

• edited March 2015
    Nakari said:
    Silas said:
    Lowering XP loss isn't lowering the barrier to group PK. There is 0 xp loss during sanctioned raids, and people still cry on forums.
    totally ignore how much combat, or participation in it, doesn't always happens in sanctioned raids. I can't sit in Mhaldor telling people that I'll defend when it becomes a raid when people are out skirmishing on the isle. And this isn't some minor happening, since three cities have areas that they tend to defend as if it was their city. Not to mention that shrine conflict is heavily pushed for in several cities, and small-scale skirmishing in a city might not cause a sanction.
    That you "can't" avoid defending or participating in shrine fights is a feature of playing a character in Mhaldor. Nobody else in the game has any obligation to take part in those kinds of encounters. You say that other cities defend areas as if they were their city proper, but that's only true of people from those cities that want to do so. As far as I'm aware, there's no penalty for playing a Targ character who doesn't want to defend random rooms in the Eastern Reaches. Those that do will be rewarded, I imagine, but not doing so is a right that they can choose to exercise. A number of cities don't even punish their citizens for not defending against raids within the city itself. Mhaldor has its own problems of forcing people to take part in PK that they don't want to. 
  • For those that unequivocally oppose changes discussed within this thread, what changes would you see made to make the Achaean PK scene more embracing?
  • edited March 2015
    I don't think any changes need to be made.

ETA: Assist XP would be fine, but it will snowball things the other way, as stated before, since the people who are winning now will be rewarded more for winning.

• edited March 2015
    Merador said:
    Nakari said:

stuff
    That you "can't" avoid defending or participating in shrine fights is a feature of playing a character in Mhaldor. Nobody else in the game has any obligation to take part in those kinds of encounters. You say that other cities defend areas as if they were their city proper, but that's only true of people from those cities that want to do so. As far as I'm aware, there's no penalty for playing a Targ character who doesn't want to defend random rooms in the Eastern Reaches. Those that do will be rewarded, I imagine, but not doing so is a right that they can choose to exercise. A number of cities don't even punish their citizens for defending against raids within the city itself. Mhaldor has its own problems of forcing people to take part in PK that they don't want to that needs addressing in a different way when considering mechanical changes.
    You're not wrong that I could avoid combat better in a different city. The point here wasn't so much that combat is unavoidable, but about how to make people want to participate in it more. (And in places like targossas I'll admit that I don't go find people and get the minutia about how much I can skip fighting and still be legal. Not only does it not look good, but I'd rather not portray all my character as lazy/pacifistic just because I don't like spending hours with my bashing key for company).

Further, if the preferable scenario here is that people just stick to sanctioned raids, then we should already be causing all the problems that are being associated with reduced experience loss. If it were really that easy, there would be no problem with encouraging other forms of pvp as well.

• edited March 2015
    Herenicus said:
    Silas said:
    Nakari said:
    May we appeal upon you to unleash your powers of reason on her other arguments or shall we simply talk past them?
    Her other arguments are much the same. 'I haven't bothered to bash back up to 81 since I lost it.' Says it all, really, with regards to these ideas catering to people who are just lazy. If you can't be arsed bashing, don't - but don't act like that -50 health is preventing you from PKing.

• edited March 2015
    Nakari said:
    Silas said:
    Nakari said:
    I don't think I've ever wanted the disagree button more then I do right now.

The proper response to this would go find and quote forum discussions, house requirements, in-game discussions/wisdom, look at the health difference between 60 and 80, compare those numbers with the damage that some of the new knight specs can easily output, and maybe manage to phrase them all wittily. I'm really hoping that doing so isn't necessary, though.
    You should ask Vaehl how many hours he spent on bashing before tearing up many of the "top tier" fighters.
    How many hours a  day/week are we assuming should be a standard to playing the game and being able to participate in PK and also how much time should be standard for bashing in comparison. Do the rewards outweigh the grind?

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Silas said:
    Herenicus said:
    Silas said:
    Nakari said:
    Her other arguments are much the same. 'I haven't bothered to bash back up to 81 since I lost it.' Says it all, really, with regards to these ideas catering to people who are just lazy. If you can't be arsed bashing, don't - but don't act like that -50 health is preventing you from PKing.
    Really? That just says that I don't mind losing the level I gained solely so that I'd have a level of experience in between where I am and Logosian. It was designed to be able to be lost. 

The problem is that I can't afford to lose the next or I'll lose what I spent a rather long time earning, and if I didn't regain that the health drop would start to become significant. This means that I can't just engage in group pvp without upkeep, this costing time.

Then again, responding to this is rather silly, since it's a textbook ad hominem attack. You literally just said that you shouldn't have to answer my argument because I'm too lazy for the rest of anything I said to matter. It's called a logical fallacy because who I am, or whether I'm lazy, or whatever doesn't change the rest of the arguments made. It is quite literally fallacious to suggest that your claim here is at all an answer to anything in my post.

And heck, at worst you're right, and I, and everyone else who doesn't like experience loss is lazy, but maybe that doesn't actually change the situation? Regardless if one's motivation to not wanting to hunt is time, lack of interest in that specific aspect of the game, or laziness, that still makes for a group of players who would otherwise like to participate in pvp and currently feel disincentivized to do so. If a reasonable solution can be found that gets these players involved without significantly reducing the work it takes to get to dragon, I still fail to see how it would be anything other then a benefit to the game.

• I could be wrong, but hasn't Vaehl said before that he couldn't compete in today's PK scene with the lack of levels/artefacts he had then?
  • No. Just that it's more difficult because the gap between "skilled" and "automated" is growing smaller. I won't give away alts but he recently proved to the contrary of your statement.