Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

What have you designed today?

1151617181921»

Comments

• PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,384 @ - Epic Achaean
    Jiraishin said:
    It is going to smell AWFUL after a while. 
    Did you miss the part of his sig where it mentions being Eleusian?

edited January 25
    With @Aelyn's help to counter my laziness, I decided to redo some things since I had figurines left over from the promo anyway.
    Appearance: a pair of shadowy corvid wings
    Dropped: Resembling a shadow, a massive pair of wings lies unfurled here.
    Examined: Glorious in their feathered construction, this pair of wings easily spans eight feet in length. A cacophony of slate-hued feathers lines the entire surface, achieving functional organization despite the jutting angles of several primaries. Each vane is packed so densely that the wings are remarkably velveteen to the touch. Corvid in inspiration, the charcoal tones resemble a shadow enfolding the wearer, highlighted by violet streaking from rachis to tip. The sound of flight is muted by the buoyant collection of downy epaulettes fanning across the shoulders.
    Appearance: a winged shield of black diamond
    Dropped: Muting the light around it, a shadowy shield has been left here.
    Examined: Comprised almost entirely of blackened diamond, this shield is impenetrably rigid yet thin enough to be supported by a single person. It is sculpted to flare at each edge in the form of jagged wings, curling sufficiently to provide protection without weakening the barrier. Multiple facets are fashioned over the surface to accentuate the material's shimmering nature. Though inflexible in structure, the marbled onyx and slate tones soften the hues of the otherwise imposing shield. Affixed to the inside are straps of charred leather allowing it to be fastened to the wearer's arm in combat.

• AstarodAstarod Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I designed these myself with the help of @Truax to make me sound more smooth and elegant. You can really tell if someone is used to crafting or not. Regardless, here they are! 

Appearance: A small steel chest covered in arcane runes. 

Examined Description: (chest for house-themed ritualism)

Rectangular in design, this small chest has been fashioned from pure steel, iron, and gold. Powerful symbols that have been etched into the entirety of the container to support potent Aeonic and Shadowmancy spells, primarily to prevent the caster from backlash from the powers of Time and Shadow. The inside of the chest features deep, intricate patterns to keep a person's shadow contained for a small period of time. The small ravines are lined with iron and gold, forming an 8-spoked catherine wheel at the epicenter of the impression, as well as smaller wheels on each side of the inner chest walls. The Iron of the chest is warped, and the lock, sundered. The entire item seems to thrum with an unseen energy.

Appearance: A horrific, igneous bastardsword

Examined Description: (Level 3 artie for my friend!)

Forged from the molten lava of simmering calderas along a scorched isle, this obsidian bastard sword is little more than a massive hunk of raw volcanic glass with jagged edges to shred the weak flesh it is dragged across. An uneven crossguard and hilt of harvested bones is emplaced to ensure a perfect counterbalance to the irregular horrific igneous blade. Heavy, yet resolute in its structure, the blade has been tarnished with the blood and gore of the slain. Amid the gruesome remnants of flesh and ichor, runes reminiscent of a troll's macabre touch are sketched to incite fear.

Appearance: A midnight-black wolf mask of obsidian. 

Examined Description: (My house mask)

This obsidian mask mimics the features of a midnight-black wolf. Small eyeholes provide ample vision for the wearer, while the detailed maw and nostril of the wolf provide areas of entry for air to the wearer's nose and mouth. The wolf's visage is permanently etched into a growl, it's fearsome snarl revealing teeth of silver. Underneath the mask is a smooth surface that fits the face well, giving comfort to the wearer. The mask covers the entire head, its ears and fur portrayed as if the beast were in motion, hunting down prey.

Also, thanks to @Tianondria and @Amunet for the various pieces they've done and helped me with :)

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."
    UrokAmunet
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USAMember Posts: 750 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Astarod said:

Also, thanks to @Tianondria and @Amunet for the various pieces they've done and helped me with :)

No problem. Probably 90% of the reason why I came back to Achaea is because I missed describing things in minute detail. If you start doing that in writing or conversation in real life, people tend to think you're fucking weird. ;)
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
    IliraVender
    Amunet said:
    Astarod said:

No problem. Probably 90% of the reason why I came back to Achaea is because I missed describing things in minute detail. If you start doing that in writing or conversation in real life, people tend to think you're fucking weird. ;)
    Don't worry. We know you're weird even without that.

AmunetCaelan
  • KraetosKraetos Member Posts: 30
    In Aetolia, another game by Iron Realms, I was dabbling in designing. Made a harp guitar for Iatan, my mhun bard. Saw the instrument on the internet, so I went with it.

Appearance:
    a beautiful eighteen string harp guitar
    Dropped:
    A beautiful eighteen string harp guitar lays here, silently.
    Examined:
    Made of a light, warm colored wood, this instrument is a combination of a harp and a guitar. Its eighteen strings are divided between two necks, one for a harp and one for a guitar. The harp's neck is elegantly curved, with the likeness of vines etched on its surface. Long and narrow, the guitar's neck has the words, "Make Myself A King" written on it. A leather strap is attached to the back, for the musician to strap the large instrument to his body.
  • BuscadorBuscador Member Posts: 19 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    edited March 2
    Hi all,

First time post so go easy! I've been looking at customising my shield as I have an ice figurine but could really do with some pointers before i submit it, and someone IG pointed me in this direction.  I've spent a while thinking of the design and an hour or so writing this up, but any suggestions would be extremely welcome!  I'm a Grook Occultist in Ashtan by the way:

APPEARANCE   - a grotesque shield of horkval chitin
    DROPPED      - Attracting a number of flies, a patchwork bundle of chitin lies here
    EXAMINED     - Fashioned into a rough triangular shape and with a slight scent of decay permeating the air, mottled green Horkval chitin of various sizes have been bonded to create this small, grotesque shield. Pulled together from the spoils of war, scratches, dents and pits full of dried blood are clearly visible across the surface of each piece, expertly stitched with strips of leather and stretched taught over a macabre framework of bone. Curved sections of carapace, possibly from the chest of the original owner, aim to deflect incoming blows to one side and allowing a comfortable position on the forearm. Two deer-skin straps have been fastened to the inside to help keep the shield steady during combat, with a third allow a fist to grip and keep the wearer in control.

Thanks!
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,769 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2
    You likely won't get away with that DROPPED description since it doesn't say what the item actually is. Probably better to just change it to include the word "shield" in there before you submit it.

The APPEARANCE uses "horkval", but the EXAMINED uses "Horkval"; pick either one so it's consistent between the two.

In the second sentence, "taught" should be "taut". In the third sentence, "allowing" should be "allow". In the fourth sentence, "allow" should be "allowing", and "wearer" should probably be "wielder" instead.
    BuscadorJethanShirszae
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 3,171 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Change "of various sizes have been bonded" to "of various sizes are bonded"

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Buscador
  • SyndraSyndra Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    They won't allow scent to be part of a design. I've tried :(

You have two pieces of passive voice. How I would fix them would be:

"chitin of various sizes bond together to create.." or even "fuse together" instead of "have been bonded".

And: "Two deer-skin straps fasten to the" or even 'latch' instead of "have been fastened".

edited March 4
    Weird, I've had scent in a plethora of designs. My old shield (on page19) had 'the unmistakable metallic scent of blood' - maybe it's just certain scents. Some of the ones I've done for Thiev have scents as well, I'm pretty sure. If you try to enforce a feeling about the scent, you might have issues, but I don't think describing what something smells like is a problem.
    Pretty sure 'deer-skin' isn't supposed to be hyphenated as well.

• SyndraSyndra Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I tried including the faint scent of curing oils, maybe two weeks ago at most and it was denied saying scent isn't something we can pick up in a design. I think it's less what you try to do, and more who decides to curate it. 
    Sure, you can't pick up the scent from a design of something, you can from the finished product however. Sounds more like an anally retentive approver than anything.

• CeceliaCecelia Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to the help of some people I got my license and designed my first commission. Nothing super important/great, but I thought I'd share my first ever design!

Appearance (short_desc)
    delicate green slippers

Dropped (long_desc)
    No longer of use, small green slippers lie here abandoned.

Examined (extended_desc)
    Small in frame with a tapering midsole, these slippers seem tailored specifically for the feminine
    foot. Made from soft green chambray cloth, one larger cut stitched to a smaller makes up the tongue. 
    Ensuring steady footing regardless of terrain, a slim piece of leather covers the bottom of the 
    footwear. A simply designed flower carved into the underside of the heel allows an impression of the 
    marking to be left in the wearer's wake. Embroidered with yellow thread, the topline is lightly 
    decorated to provide some more visual appeal to the otherwise monotone colour.
    FinchyShirszaeTahquilJiraishin
  • JiraishinJiraishin trapped in a thawing block of iceMember Posts: 1,658 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Some of my favorites from what I've designed recently (minus Achi's bow, which he already posted on the 'Unique items' thread).

a soft grey shirt

Sewn from a soft blend of cotton and silk noil, this sleeveless, collarless shirt is an equally soft, unobtrusive grey in colour. Loosely fitted and long enough to be tucked into trousers, the garment is entirely unadorned save for a tiny bow-and-arrow embroidered near invisibly near the hem.
    Sometimes simplicity is good.

an eerily mirrored mask

From forehead to chin, this silvered glass mask emulates the unlined face of a young adult mhun, or perhaps a sharp-featured human. Its austere features are schooled to an expression of utter impassivity, and its curved, mirrored surface reflects a distorted version of all that stands before it. A mouth slot and a pair of nostril holes facilitate breathing while the mask is worn, while two almond-shaped eyeholes allow the wearer to see. A black cotton ribbon extends from each side of the mask, allowing it to be worn; a small bow-and-arrow emblem is embroidered in silver at the end of each ribbon.
    ...but sometimes I want to show off a little.

steel scaled gloves 

These splendidly armoured gloves are lined with soft black leather and completely covered by overlapping, irregularly shaped scales of steel: from wrist to fingertip, variegated bands of polished blue and argent steel are flecked with scales of duller, darker, metal, forming a flexible surface reminiscent both of scale mail and the skin of some strange, metallic reptile. One scale near the wrist of each glove has been engraved with a tiny bow-and-arrow.
    ...and sometimes I want to show off a LOT.
    For those who didn't follow the saga of those gloves on the rants thread, I made those myself through customisation and designed a cut-rate tailored version to sell in my shop. Behold.
    argent scaled gloves

Small, overlapping scales of silver-painted leather cover the outer surface of these splendid gloves, their argent lustre periodically interrupted by scales of steel blue. The overall effect is reminiscent less of scale mail and more of some strange, metallic reptile. The gloves are lined with supple black leather, and the lining of each is branded with a bow-and-arrow emblem.

I'm not sure if I can call this bracelet an original design, since I based it heavily on a bracelet I remember @Jurixe had way back when, that I always really liked. Still, I'm not planning to craft it for sale, and it's stylistically very much my own.

a serpentine sigil bracelet
    Sinuously twisting glyphs reminiscent of dancing serpents have been deeply carved into the thick, blue steel links of this heavy bracelet, each groove filled in with a crimson alloy. Only the bracelet's flat, circular clasp is not so marked, bearing instead the engraved image of a bow-and-arrow on its outer surface.

Sometimes I feel like doing something for no reason other than creativity and aesthetics, hence this pendant that I made with no one in mind and that probably no one will buy from my shop. 

an iridescent beetle pendant

Exquisitely carved from ammolite into the likeness of a thick-shelled, glossy beetle, the brilliant green of this pendant flashes with scarlet iridescence. It hangs from a thin gold chain, allowing it to be worn. A tiny bow-and-arrow has been engraved on the chain's clasp.

And finally, this artie mace I made for Mezghar:

a sombre iron mace

Artfully adorned but grimly functional, this mace consists of a heavy, skull-crushing ball of iron etched with a repeating pattern of flames and affixed firmly to a solid oak haft. Images of embattled vatazhi, their claws extended and fangs fiercely bared, are carved into the wood, and both flames and vatazhi glow with energy.

Other designs not shown that I've made since my last post here: scarlet shikudo gi trousers, a scarlet shikudo gi shirt, a black leather belt clasped with white jade, a grey doeskin belt, formal black military boots, handsome boots of wine-red leather, grey doeskin boots, a fiery opal ring, a vial-adorned wedding ring, a fiery guardian angel pendant, a Harbinger's ivory robes (won a contest to design the Harbingers' new official robes, woo prize money), elegant grey formal robes, an ash and ember mantle, an ash-grey mantle, a cloth of gold mantle, a magpie wing cloak, a dignified cape of grey and gold, a Luminai officer's cape, a tunic of cobalt cotton, a burgundy dress shirt, an embroidered crafter's apron, a steel-reinforced longbow, and a keyring of oathbreakers' fingers.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a crafting addiction.

Within a collapsed river grotto

Tumbling from the striated limestone cliff above, spring waters from the Zaphar River create a sparkling waterfall. The cerulean waters form a natural pool created when the dome of the underground river collapsed. The pool is surrounded by large slabs of limestone that rest by the water's edge; large stalactites grow from the ceiling high above. The ceiling and surrounding cliffs of the grotto are home to moss, maidenhair fern and cliff swallows. A soft tinkling can be heard from beneath the cavern behind the curtain of the waterfall as small rivulets traverse the pocked limestone. The jade pool slowly feeds outwards, reconnecting with the Zaphar River creating a welcoming beach of varying sizes of eroded rocks. The forest grows wildly around this oasis, hiding it from prying eyes.

*Based on Hamilton Pool near Austin, TX*

Stream amid honeysuckles

Curled hazelwoods twist and corkscrew forming a tunnel of branches that lead from the gate; honeysuckle bloom and flourish among the archway, tickling the nose and bringing reminders of summer. The archway opens to a hushed meadow full of vibrant wildflowers and wild fruit trees. Tucked inconspicuously among the northern edge of the treeline, a simple cottage built from clay and other natural materials stands resolute among the forest edge. Stick figures in elaborate scenes of hunt, handprints, and drawings in bright paints cover the lower half of the cottage contrasting against the muted earthen colours of the clay; an artefact of young children growing up and playing in the area. The trickling stream winds along the southern edge, disappearing downwards betwixt rocks and what appear to be natural stairs eroded from limestone and strengthened with mudpacked earth and tree roots.

LaedhaThaisen
Sign In to Comment.