What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• I’ve found a lot of people with arachnophobia are just rationally scared of “bite hurt venom ouch”. I was petrified of spiders to the point of running screaming out of rooms if I saw webs, a lot of patience, deep breathing and profuse sweating and now I’m at “awww what a little cutie!” as well as “oh another spider bite heh.”

love spiders now, and pineapple belongs on pizza unless your taste buds are so dead that your breath awakens zombies :/
  • Dropping by again to apologise to the people I terrified with my previous post.

Just meant to post what this thread was for, but in my excitement at yesterday's IG events, my weirdness got the better of me and I didn't think.
    Everybody has the right to like/ dislike whatever; it wasn't my intention to scare or creep anyone out.
    I'm sorry. Please move along, thanks. ^_^

• Antonius said:
    Only if you want a pizza that's disgusting.

• Gawd, I’ve never seen anything more terrifying...
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• edited July 2018
    Another day of 10 minutes of logging in.   Actually enjoying a nice day outside where I don't have 1000 projects that need to get done immediately. 

Almost caught up on work. 1 more week and these 3 cases should be done and up for review.

Meh, should've been in OOC Rants.

• You have a small critical bonus lasting another 63 days, 23 hours and 39 minutes.
  • With the morale system in place, I've already been hearing speculation that sanctions and losing raids will be a heavy hit to morale, leading people to want to avoid engaging. My fear is that ooc speculation on mechanics will be one more reason people avoid fighting pre-sanction without an overwhelming advantage and lend more support to the idea that the only way to win raids is to not engage, which is a mindset I'd rather not see more of.

While I know it was said that specific numbers wouldn't be shared, and I don't mean to fish for the specific mechanics, would it be possible to get any clarification on this? @Nicola @Makarios @Ictinus
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    People don't need morale to avoid engaging.  They do that anyway! "Raid earlier". Pff, it's just me and @Penwize, guys, and he's soft! 
  • It's probably safest to assume that all actions in Achaea affect organisation morale. We're not going to be giving out specifics of what does and doesn't.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'll probably never experience it, but apart from the intended bonus, are there any immediate (cosmetic or otherwise) effects to the respective morale levels?

• It lets you objectively argue whether the city leaders are doing a good / bad job
  • Asani said:
    With the morale system in place, I've already been hearing speculation that sanctions and losing raids will be a heavy hit to morale, leading people to want to avoid engaging. My fear is that ooc speculation on mechanics will be one more reason people avoid fighting pre-sanction without an overwhelming advantage and lend more support to the idea that the only way to win raids is to not engage, which is a mindset I'd rather not see more of.

While I know it was said that specific numbers wouldn't be shared, and I don't mean to fish for the specific mechanics, would it be possible to get any clarification on this?
    This is just speculation, but I'm going to assume complete non-engagement would actually have a harder impact to morale than failure would.  At least, I would sure be more demoralized if my military just decided it didn't feel like defending against an invasion, rather than trying and failing to defend. 
  • I hope guard bashing doesn’t have an effect on it, raiding yes but I’m just not keen on more guard bashing.
  • Penwize said:
    Asani said:
    With the morale system in place, I've already been hearing speculation that sanctions and losing raids will be a heavy hit to morale, leading people to want to avoid engaging. My fear is that ooc speculation on mechanics will be one more reason people avoid fighting pre-sanction without an overwhelming advantage and lend more support to the idea that the only way to win raids is to not engage, which is a mindset I'd rather not see more of.

While I know it was said that specific numbers wouldn't be shared, and I don't mean to fish for the specific mechanics, would it be possible to get any clarification on this?
    This is just speculation, but I'm going to assume complete non-engagement would actually have a harder impact to morale than failure would.  At least, I would sure be more demoralized if my military just decided it didn't feel like defending against an invasion, rather than trying and failing to defend. 
    Why?  Morale wise I would rather not engage and have very limited damage than have multiple citizens killed and potentially lose a room because people felt compelled to fight.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Penwize said:
    Asani said:

Why?  Morale wise I would rather not engage and have very limited damage than have multiple citizens killed and potentially lose a room because people felt compelled to fight.

Because it proves a willingness to learn. Not engaging is accepting defeat without even fighting. You could argue its smaller losses, but its still a -guaranteed- loss even if the raiders just smudge and leave.

I think this Morale system looks awesome, I'm excited to see how it plays out! I will say, I don't like the idea of only the highest morale city getting whatever bonus, I think I'd rather see all the cities that get their morale high enough reap the rewards.
  • You've just set a new record for this year for that catch!
    You've just set a new record for that catch!
    You've just set a new all-time record for that catch!
    This record, until beaten, will be shown on RANKINGS FISHING ALLTIME
    You reel in the last bit of line and your struggle is over. You've landed the Ausun ray weighing 526 pounds and 12 ounces.

First day of fishing ever, and this is the result. I think I'm gonna enjoy this!
  • I'd rather not fight than fight terrible odds.  Unpopularopinion.jpg
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Generally speaking giving up on a fight before it even starts is going to be more damaging to a group's morale. You're basically saying "Yeah we suck let's not bother" which uh... yeah that's going to be worse than just saying "Let's try we might learn something new."

• It depends. If you have two people and they have ten and you're just saying "Yeah, not possible. Let's do something more productive with our time and beat them later," you're not really saying that you suck at all. You're just being realistic.

But this all just goes back to "morale is very subjective." There's no set formula to determine a city's actual morale. It has a lot to do with perception, how they frame things for themselves, camaraderie, etc. It will be interesting to see how this actually works, but I hate the idea of a "state of mind" being imposed upon cities with a status line based on arbitrary factors and potentially conflicting with how the city actually feels.

• Farrah said:

It depends. If you have two people and they have ten and you're just saying "Yeah, not possible. Let's do something more productive with our time and beat them later," you're not really saying that you suck at all. You're just being realistic.

I would wager they accounted for this when they designed the system... I think it'd be obvious these situations aren't what we were talking about, though, when I stated the above.

• How do you distinguish them mechanically, though? I'd be surprised if the system both punished non-engagement and somehow measured whether the non-engagement was due to the fight being imbalanced too much.
  • edited July 2018
    Farrah said:
    How do you distinguish them mechanically, though? I'd be surprised if the system both punished non-engagement and somehow measured whether the non-engagement was due to the fight being imbalanced too much.
    I mean have you seen just how much is actually tracked behind the scenes? They even have rankings for who've won the most pet battles... It wouldn't really surprise me in the slightest, if they have things to track how many people are available to fight at any given time.

I never said they wouldn't get punished, I was more implying it would probably be a lighter punishment than if say... Dunn and Jhui went to raid Eleusis, and they had 15 army people around yet decided not to defend. (arbitrary points, to state a point, not saying this actually would happen. Don't hurt me please)

• Considering Eleusis, Dunn, and Jhui, nonengagement probably is the wiser move. Of course, there are easy workarounds, such as resigning from military but still going for defenses.
     <3 
  • The sun seems to shine just a little more dimly upon the streets of Hashan.
  •                 

• Maybe it's not so much morale as city influence which is less subjective depending on what actions are being considered. I'm excited to see what the top morale city gets as a bonus

• Maybe we should just take note of this

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."