Quick Questions

Comments

• Katzchen said:
    Also what damage is ice/fire/poison/lightning, other than dragon breath? Trying to decide which of the four miniskills to trans first, or to raise them all equally.
    PVE: Almost all mages are fire of some kind, druids too. Lightning is like... Slugbeast? Poison is very little, ice is also very little, few things up north. Magic is very few things as well (nel'dorath chanting attacks?), but lowers putrefaction damage.
  • Katzchen said:
    Also what damage is ice/fire/poison/lightning, other than dragon breath? Trying to decide which of the four miniskills to trans first, or to raise them all equally.

Don't forget constitution vs Magical damage.
  • Already have trans constitution for the reduction in putrefaction damage. Sounds like fire might be a winner.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• If you ever raid/raid defend. Get antidotes. Cutting down those arrow damages can make huge difference vs arrows.
  • edited December 2012
    Katzchen said:
    Fire: Staffcast, firelash, holocaust, angel/demon sear, firelord, efreeti, firewall, metamorphosis flame/inferno/incinerate, xoran fire breath, shin annihilation, infuse fire, being on fire (the affliction).
    Ice: Staffcast, freeze, deepfreeze, hailstorm, icebreath (metamorphosis), chill, ague, hugalaz, shin blizzard, infuse ice.
    Lightning: Staffcast, lightning (elementalism), lightning (groves), stormhammer, shin thunderstorm, infuse lightning.
    Poison: Sumac, camus, envenomed arrows, homunculus (mercury).

I'm probably missing some, and there are denizens that use those damage types which could also matter if you bash. Also, the amount of resistance you can get outside of the miniskills varies:
    Fire: Resistance ring, frost elixir, thermal spiritshield (Good only), temperance (metamorphosis).
    Ice: Resistance ring, frost spiritshield (Good only).
    Lightning: Resistance ring, chargeshield.
    Poison: Venom elixir.
  • People are forgetting the ones that I would consider most important: dragon blast and dragon breathstorm.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited December 2012
    Tanris said:
    People are forgetting the ones that I would consider most important: dragon blast and dragon breathstorm.
    Her original question was....

As for my advice I would look at the composition of who you are fighting.  I personally pick imbued because I get hit by stars/dopple warp more than anything save arrows and kai choke.  Venom elixir already reduces arrow damage significantly (and all you have to do is move out of LoS).  
  • And breathrain, if you're ever in a fight involving Deladan (as enemy or ally).
  • Sena said:
    Katzchen said:
    Fire: Staffcast, firelash, holocaust, angel/demon sear, firelord, efreeti, firewall, metamorphosis flame/inferno/incinerate, xoran fire breath, shin annihilation, infuse fire, being on fire (the affliction).
    Ice: Staffcast, freeze, deepfreeze, hailstorm, icebreath (metamorphosis), chill, ague, hugalaz, shin blizzard, infuse ice.
    Lightning: Staffcast, lightning (elementalism), lightning (groves), stormhammer, shin thunderstorm, infuse lightning.

I'm probably missing some, and there are denizens that use those damage types which could also matter if you bash. Also, the amount of resistance you can get outside of the miniskills varies:
    Fire: Resistance ring, frost elixir, thermal spiritshield (Good only), temperance (metamorphosis).
    Frost elixir and temperance, iirc, are the same defense, so don't stack. And for cold resist, there's also caloric.
  • Oh hey, I didn't actually read the question, just the answers. My bad.
  • Eld said:
    Frost elixir and temperance, iirc, are the same defense, so don't stack. And for cold resist, there's also caloric.
    Caloric doesn't reduce damage.
  • Sena said:
    Eld said:
    Damn. I figured, when posting that, that either I'd caught you missing something or I was wrong about caloric, and that the possible glee of the former outweighed the more likely disappointment of the latter. Ah well.
  • Is the shiver damage on cold (in some environments) cold damage?
  • Eld said:
    Sena said:
    Eld said:
    Damn. I figured, when posting that, that either I'd caught you missing something or I was wrong about caloric, and that the possible glee of the former outweighed the more likely disappointment of the latter. Ah well.
    There was always a part of me that wanted more thought I might correct Sena, and thus there was a part of me that was always a fool.
  • I should search through all my old posts and point out all the times I've been wrong about stuff.
  • Sena said:
    I should search through all my old posts and point out all the times I've been wrong about stuff.

So... what you're saying is, @Tvistor's somehow even wrong about that?

I'm scared.

• edited December 2012
    Achilles said:
    Tanris said:
    People are forgetting the ones that I would consider most important: dragon blast and dragon breathstorm.
    Her original question was....

That is true, but it still should be mentioned, since dragon breath is by no means evenly distributed between the damage types. I went for Ice Warden with my traits, because blue dragons are often among the more dangerous ones (due to a not insignificant chance of added hindering when they prone-break you). A blue dragon can potentially keep me prone longer than the other dragon types, so I'd like to reduce the damage of their breathstorm during that time. Plus, cold damage is a popular choice for other break-classes as well (e.g. runewardens with hugalaz, infuse ice), for the same reason, so being resistant to it is certainly a good idea. It will also help in pretty much every fight against a magi, since they'll be using hailstorm, no matter what staffcast damage type they go for. (And hailstorm is a bigger factor damage-wise than, say, the fire damage from an efreeti.)

Electricity is perhaps not quite as relevant, but still decent, since many magi use lightning staffcasts and stormhammers hurt. I transed Galvanism almost first of my miniskills because I hated stormhammers so much, but I probably wouldn't do so anymore. Still not a bad choice.

Fire is mostly just good aginst holos, IMHO. There's a great amount of fire-damage sources, but most of them are rather minor. People will rarely attack with fire damage if they have a choice (i.e. infusions, staffcast) since fire already has more globally available defences (frost elixir, resistance ring) than the other damage types already. Fire resistance is good for magi who want to holo a lot and need to be sure to tank it themselves, but otherwise I'd not make it a first priority. Keep in mind that holos tend to be more avoidable than other kinds of magi damage too, if you stay defensive.

Poison resistance is quite irrelevant in 1v1 (you shouldn't die to straight arrows 1v1 if you have a decent defence, and relapsed camus is more a curing issue than a tanking issue), but very important in group combat due to the wide availability of archery and its frequent use in group fights.

That's why I consider poison resistance to be perhaps the most important for group combat, and cold for 1v1.

If we're including magic damage as well: there are a few things it's really good for, most notably occie warps (both against heavily artied occies in 1v1 (which I guess mostly just means Tanris and Dodder?) and for doppie warps in groups), but unless you fight occies very often, I'd say it's not that huge a deal. Not quite sure if Purity and Taint are magical damage too though, or whether they're typeless/unblockable. If they are that might be an argument for it.
  • Taint/purity boosted by collar, so assuming magical.

Firelord is a good reason to get thermology too, although I agree with Iocun's assessment about what you should get in what order.

• Tanris said:
    Taint/purity boosted by collar, so assuming magical.
    Collar doesn't depend on damage type, it mostly applies to anything that's increased by intelligence. I'm not sure what type purity/taint are either.
  • edited December 2012
    Tanris said:

Taint/purity boosted by collar, so assuming magical.

Firelord is a good reason to get thermology too, although I agree with Iocun's assessment about what you should get in what order.

Not everything that's boosted by collars is magical damage though:

Collars:
       - These increase damage done to opponents from abilities that are
         magical in nature. These abilities include chaos storm, cast
         (or grove) lightning, cast firelash, staffcast, stormhammer,
         accentato, holocaust globe, kai choke, distort aura, utter truename,
         warp, taint, purity, decay, star tarot, educe iron, and mind crush.

Quite a few of these obviously have other damage types. The abilities themselves are magical, but their damage types aren't necessarily.
  • Just noting that the vibes that cause damage and I believe the one that saps mana (not 100% sure on this one) are both magic damage.
  • edited December 2012
    @Katzchen @Sena I'm almost certain miniskills (and Avoidance) give either 12.5% or 13% resistance. The amount granted is based on how close you are to Transcendent, rather than per skill rank, so going from Inept to Novice will give you almost no benefit, while spending 50% of the lessons needed to Trans the skill will give you 50% of the total resistance.

edit: Actually I'm not sure if the second part of what I said is correct or not any more, I might be mixing it up with Concoctions and the sip bonus... Not very helpful, sorry!
  • @Katzchen @Sena I'm almost certain miniskills (and Avoidance) give either 12.5% or 13% resistance. The amount granted is based on how close you are to Transcendent, rather than per skill rank, so going from Inept to Novice will give you almost no benefit, while spending 50% of the lessons needed to Trans the skill will give you 50% of the total resistance.

edit: Actually I'm not sure if the second part of what I said is correct or not any more, I might be mixing it up with Concoctions and the sip bonus... Not very helpful, sorry!
    When checking resistance values, I noticed equal gain per lesson spent, no matter at what rank. That is to say when I spent 1 lesson, the damage would go down by 1 or 2 points. When I spent another lesson, it would go down another 1 or 2 points.
  • edited December 2012
    If it always went down by the same absolute value, that wouldn't be an equal gain per lesson spent though, since resistances are relative to the damage you're taking. You should look at how many percent the damage is reduced, not by how many points. Hard to say by just looking at damage decrease from single learned lessons anyways, since there's so much rounding involved then. Better look at the gain from spending, say, 60 lessons or so to reduce rounding errors.
  • edited December 2012
    Ooh, correct Sena game. I'm in, let's see....

Sena
    said:

Some of the above bolded abilities don't deal any damage at all (IE: Freeze et al), though the regular disrupting tic may be cold damage, but I've never tested.

Strangely, I recall testing (like in 2003) that the disrupting cold tic only damaged in certain cities (maybe areas in general), while not in others. And the ones that did for varying damage. Maybe something to do with ancient weather/wind while flying system.

Also, Runelore Hugalaz and Elementalism Hailstorm are purely blunt damage, and apparently neither from magical source.

And I'm pretty sure Necromancy Decay is cold, too.

• I thought I remembered ague doing damage, but it's been 5-6 years since I was an occultist, so there's a good chance I'm remembering wrong. I wasn't sure about the other freezing abilities, but listed them just in case. I forgot about hugalaz/hailstorm changing back to blunt (or being bugged, if that's the reason).

Ring of the Magus description in HELP ARTEFACTS DEFENSIVE lists decay as magic damage.
  • Daeir said:
    What does the wild walker trait grant exactly? Increased rooms/sec in the wilderness?
    Less of a delay on entering difficult terrain (like hills, mountains, tundra, etc.).
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Does the armband of celerity still work while mounted?

If so, it is highly possible this will be my first "fun" artefact in a while.

... and even if it doesn't, still very tempting.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • It still works while mounted, yes.
  • As an Atavian blademaster with a level 1 belt these are my current stats:

Ephram Sparrow, Cherished Horai (male Atavian Exemplar)
    You are level 93 (3rd Order of the Hyperphysical) and 35.6% of the way to the
    next level.
    Health: 4715/4715  Mana: 3741/3741
    Endurance: 21790/21790  Willpower: 17605/17605
    Strength: 13  Dexterity: 13  Constitution: 14  Intelligence: 11

And traits:

Racial:   Winged
    Level 20: Nimble                  
    Level 30: Health weaver           
    Level 40: Triage                  
    Level 50: Empty
    Level 60: Empty
    Level 70: Empty
    Level 80: Empty
    Level 90: Empty

Do I go for robust or improved physique as a major trait? For bashing?

And any other suggestions would be welcome.