Quick Questions

Comments

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Aereidhna said:
    This is more of a 'what's your opinion on housing security question,' but I'm curious..,is it worthwhile making outdoor rooms noprism? I have three garden/outdoor rooms and I realized recently that people can track to me in those rooms, which should have been obvious before but I'm an idiot sometimes. It worries me a bit with regards to security. How do others deal with that? Is there anything I can/should do aside from totems and sigils to improve subdivision security?
    What real security concerns do you have? Unless they happen to have a contract or bounty on you, it's not like random people will be tracking in to kill you. Unless you plan on AFK'ing there and/or have no anti-theft measures, or leave things lying around in your gardens, it's not like they can steal much from you. Unless you have no doors with appropriate permissions, it's not like they can get into the rest of your house. I have outdoor gardens that I make open-air and don't bother to make non-prism, because there's really no damage an intruder can do to me besides be annoying if I wanted a private moment, and that's speaking as an out-of-sub owner, where prism is much more of a problem than in-city.

Really the -worst- that can happen is if your home is in a city subdivision, someone tracks to you, portals their friends in, and starts a subdivision raid. But now that most attacks aren't area-wide anymore, even that's not really a huge threat, and if they want to hole up in there while I round up a defense party for a no-holds-barred cage match in a room with no exits, that's fine by me.

Personally, I always choose RP/realism over metagame security, unless it's really necessary. (And if having an impenetrable fortress is really necessary, RP would probably dictate not building open-air gardens.)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Yeah, my main concerns are not for personal security but more for city security - I don't want to potentially create a target for people who want to raid or cause issues for Cyrene. I don't AFK and avoid leaving valuables lying around, I plan to eventually noprism the whole place. Normally I feel pretty secure, and I do prefer to go for RP realism, but when I realized about tracking it made me second guess the upgrades. I definitely appreciate the insight, it's helpful.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    For me, I suppose it's a pride thing more than anything else and the 'outdoor' ambience messages are the same as indoor in Mhaldor, as far as I can tell, so the only difference would be the weather. I'm okay with sacrificing a bit of realism for some security. Else no one would ever use it anyway because they don't feel safe, which defeats the purpose. 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

That's what people say about househalls, too, and it baffles me. There's usually a lot of really cool stuff in those estates, so I twitch when people say or even imply that they don't go in there for fear of being the one that "lets an enemy in". But as long as intruders can't do any lasting damage, the crippling fear of break-ins just seems irrational to me. Spend the money on no-prism for those rooms that do hold valuables, or that you do want to AFK or have private discussions in, but a 5% chance of a break-in shouldn't ruin the other 95% of your peace of mind.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    househalls also shouldn't be able to be tanked either - so there's not much damage they can do in there except hole up and radiance
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Pride thing, I suppose. Also they can buy stuff from your house denizen. Once they're entrenched there, can be a bit difficult to remove!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• @Aereidhna, I never make outdoor rooms actually outdoors anymore. I have one, that's enough.

• edited September 2015
    Aerek said:
    That's what people say about househalls, too, and it baffles me. There's usually a lot of really cool stuff in those estates, so I twitch when people say or even imply that they don't go in there for fear of being the one that "lets an enemy in". But as long as intruders can't do any lasting damage, the crippling fear of break-ins just seems irrational to me. Spend the money on no-prism for those rooms that do hold valuables, or that you do want to AFK or have private discussions in, but a 5% chance of a break-in shouldn't ruin the other 95% of your peace of mind.
    I know that there's no real harm in letting enemies into the househall, but I also know that I would get in huge trouble if I let it happen.

That's the fundamental problem. It doesn't matter if people know it isn't important so long as they can still be punished by other people who don't acknowledge it.

That's why virtually no one ever uses house halls, which is still incredibly sad to me. If people are going to sit in a spot and idle, I'd so much rather it be in an appropriate spot in a house hall rather than in a gatehouse.
  • AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited September 2015
    I try to balance things and just be vigilant but still use the House hall, I encourage others to use our estate, too because it is really awesome. But yeah, the deep fear of being THE ONE who causes a break in or becomes the target for a raid is definitely there, hehe.
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, that's a player disease that should be eradicated. I've never seriously punished anyone who accidentally let an enemy into my house estates, (or my private ones) and I've actively castigated anyone who tried to shame people for that. Even enemies buying stuff from our tutor strikes me as a remarkably superficial "loss" that people take way too seriously. If that's the price I had pay to get people to use my house estate, then I would put our tutor wares in the House shop for general sale, and advertise them on Market.

It's no different from the city getting raided, and we don't lose our minds or disfavour citizens if an enemy buys from our comm shop, or erect citizen-only doors to protect our stuffed Blu plushes. (Cyrene actually does gripe at folks for poor subdivision security, which I both understand and find stupid.) There's just level of paranoia that seems to surround this topic that exceeds any rationale, teaching everyone to live in permanent fear of open spaces and prism tattoos. If these characters were real people, they'd be afraid to go outside for fear of muggings, car crashes, and lightning strikes.

I'm not advocating total apathy, here. I'm not going to invite enemies in, I'll teach basic security, and I'll RP like that security is important, but I think as players we need to understand that it's just not a big deal if someone gets into an estate/sub house, as long as you've taken basic steps to make sure you won't lose anything irreplaceable. (Stockrooms and unique, non-resetting items require that security, not resetting items or self-replenishing tutor wares) If we treated our player housing and house estates with the same cavalier attitude that most of have toward death, we'd probably have a lot more fun with them.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Probably! I guess I'm pretty paranoid because I've seen my fair share of people who go overboard with raiding from subs/househall a la Qashar days. I remember a time where I was fighting a group who placed wormholes in every room and had people yank them through wormholes or go through to PK people when they went to cancel the wormholes.

I also don't want people to track into my house or interrupt things that I might be doing in my house, but since non-prism rooms have been introduced, that concern has been mostly alleviated.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

The other reason most people don't linger in Households or even homes is simply that it's more inconvenient and more quiet than being at an accessible open area where you can duanathar at a moment's notice or meet new people from just standing around. I love being in my house and share it with the rest of my family, but unless I specifically drag people there, it's not going to get used much.

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I have suggested before and still maintain that it should just be totally impossible to get into househalls any way other than following someone in.

That way there's still a means of infiltrating, but once you're inside you don't have to worry anymore.

It's not like sitting there in a safe place trying to guess when someone went afk so you could exploit them to get into a househall was ever actually a fun or interesting mechanic.

I don't think it's nearly so big an issue for subdivision houses, which are inherently kind of antisocial, but for househalls, which are supposed to be gathering places for houses, I think it's sorely needed. Even without being able to prism into a househall, it's still not nearly far enough.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

What's the description of the sphere for the Adryn games?

• LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    I have:

Strength: 12 Dexterity: 10 Constitution: 17 Intelligence: 16

in Viridian as a tsol'aa guard.

Two questions:

1. Is a level 1 collar or level 1 sash better at this stage?
    2. The same question if I change to INT-spec tsol'aa (sage), with CON: 15 INT: 18

Thanks in advance!
  • Pretty sure collar at that point. Either way you're high enough to be affected by diminishing returns afaik.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    Atalkez said:
    Pretty sure collar at that point. Either way you're high enough to be affected by diminishing returns afaik.
    For both INT16 and 18?
  • Question:: I want all the classes. Will I ever be able to play one effectively?

• Lothien said:
    Atalkez said:
    Pretty sure collar at that point. Either way you're high enough to be affected by diminishing returns afaik.
    For both INT16 and 18?
    Collar either way, first. Then get int after (probably after lv2) for more lulzy damage.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    According to HELP TUNS:
    2. Any work to be done with the tuns should be able to be completed by anyone
    who has permission to price things in your shop. This means that even though
    only the owner can pick a tun up, anyone with permissions to your shop can
    both fill and empty all the tuns in your stockroom.

So.. how exactly does one empty a tun if they cannot pick it up?

EMPTY TUN -> I don't see that in your inventory.
    EMPTY TUN OUT -> I don't see that in your inventory.

There's no syntax listed anywhere for this and I can't for the life of me figure out how to empty them otherwise.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Just for reference, this is not always the case. I tried to do that while HL in Mhaldor and was refused.

It seems to be a personal case of whether your Divine will allow it or not. Perhaps this has changed now, but this was not a blanket policy at that time to the best of my knowledge.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    So, rogues generally got severely shafted for this event. Which is coo', city focus is important. But just wondering if you guys have any intention of turning the Gauntlet into an occasional world game >_>

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Infiltrating the house estate and getting explorer points is the reward.  Why does the house denizen have to be so stupid he sells to enemies/non house members.
  • Oh ok the realism argument. I'll just stand over here holding 500 vials, 200 suits of armour and several 3000 lb walrus corpses.
  • Rather than turn this thread into something that best belongs in the Sewers, how about we ask @Tecton or @Sarapis whether this is something that is really supported by administration and something we can expect to see spread, or a customization that slipped through when it shouldn't have and a reversal will be forthcoming.
    edited September 2015
    Is it too late to cancel multiclass, destroy all the houses, and go back to guilds? :bawling:

Edit: wrong thread, oops, but still a question!
  • Lothien said:
    Is it too late to cancel multiclass, destroy all the houses, and go back to guilds? :bawling:

Too late. Sci-fi approaching. We are getting sabers soon.
  • Dochitha said:
    Lothien said:

Too late. Sci-fi approaching. We are getting sabers soon.
    Fuck yeeeees

• Lothien said:

You don't really want that.