Seafaring PVE

Comments

• In the iconic words of Jim Jeffries "FUCK YOU, DON'T TOUCH MY NE-NE".

From talking with Sarapis and Tecton the player behind Neraeos simply got to the point in their life where RL became the priority. I think there was a tear the guys eyes reminiscing on how much work the player behind Neraeos did, wrote, contributed as his godly incarnation and various others. They also mentioned that if he was ever taken over it would take an amazing person willing to spend a lot of time and hard work to even be considered for the role and that chances they would find a person awesome enough to fill the ocean sized boots were very slim.

I adore studying lore, however I'm not so great with the grammar/spelling requirement. I would kill to give it a crack but as a triton ambassador to the landwalkers so some gaps in memory can be excused.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I would say as a member of an Order where the God has been played by more than one Celani, and that the current one behind my God played a previous God that is now gone from start to finish... and after hearing the numerous changes that have gone on in Pandora's Order through the different people who have played Her... there is always a chance something significant about that God and their Order will change, and I think people who've been in Lady Pandora's Order way longer than me could attest to that in how greatly her order has evolved from volunteer to volunteer. Some of it had to be explained away with just not remembering after something happening, and a change of heart in having a new focus and a new direction. And you know what? Despite all that, She's still really popular. I regularly get people contacting me out of the blue looking to join or even people who use to be in the Order a long time ago who want to come back despite all that has changed. I really think if there is a new Neraeos (or any other God role that needs to be filled) that you do need to be forgiving and understanding and not expect everything to be followed exactly. You can also help them along and remind them of things nicely, but to expect a new volunteer to be a copycat of the original just isn't going to happen. They need to be allowed to add in some of their own flavour and uniqueness because it is now their role and it should be fun for them, too.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• See, that's your God who you just admitted is nothing like the Neraeos situation.
    I never once tried to say they were the same, but Pandora isn't the first and likely not the last to go through certain changes and a change in some direction when a new volunteer takes over, and I doubt Neraeos would be an exception to at least some degree. Especially since the person behind the god is human and will create different ideas that maybe the previous volunteer hadn't, and will form different relationships with those who remained in the Order, and especially with all the new people who would be trying to join. I'm sure it sucks for people to think of any of it changing when they're used to a God being a certain way and I'm sure I would've had a hard time if Selene stayed as a living God but with someone else taking over and changing things, but I also would've been forgiving and understanding and open minded to whatever new things may come. I'm guessing Aurora and Deucalion aren't quite the same as they used to be, but I don't see anyone really complaining. As far as I can tell from forums, the Targossans generally love their interactions with them.

I'd also like to add that in a way it's selfish to set such insanely high standards. You have to be open to some level of change, or else the role might never get filled just because a handful of old players are being hardcore about details and ends up scaring off any volunteer who might be interested but fear being treated poorly or disappointing because they don't fit the old Neraeos to a T. If it were me I wouldn't even attempt it just to avoid the drama of people being upset over things not being the same. Be accepting and understanding of any volunteer who is brave enough to take on the task, and don't scare them away because there's a lot of people who've never experienced any Neraeos and would love to, and having an active Order is a big difference to not having an active one ever.

• Kyrra said:
    Puzzle pirates so much fun.
    Three Rings (the company that made it) was founded/run by my oldest friend in the games industry. He started in MUDs too.
  • edited January 2016
    It'd be kind of neat to have two Gods of the sea... one who was followed by the pirates and some tritons, one the Nerai/mariners/other tritons.

• @Valkyn I keep trying to get @Aurora and @Deucalion onto boats. Saltwater is more terrifying than Bal'met.
  • Daeir said:
    The only recourse you have then is to introduce new Divine with their own fields and realms, honestly. Can't leave things as they are now.

I'm not sure why you think there are people waiting to take on God roles that aren't currently Gods or aren't currently in the Celani/Demi program!
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    If anything I'd like to see surviving roles in the Pantheon revitalized if it's an option over creating new realms or gods which open the potential for those to then become inactive. I only know the one person to have played Lupus, who was gravely wounded in the whole Bal'met Saga, and I don't know if that was due to behind the scene reasons involving their personal life or part of the story ending, but it begs the question of 'When will he be back?"

I think that part of the dilemma is that gods disappear, sometimes for very long periods of time, and players don't understand why. They have to speculate that either the volunteer had to move on willingly, or something happened that forced them out of the position. 

On the one hand, not knowing the details behind the scenes keeps the integrity of the roles intact for the most part. It's really no one's business why a volunteer vacated a role, and the past has shown that sometimes peeking behind the curtain and knowing such details affects things in the game, which shouldn't be the case.

So it seems to come down to a delicate balancing act of maintaining the illusion of an ever present if but busy (they're away doing important god stuff and therefore can't meddle in mortal affairs right now) pantheon in a massive world like Achaea, and making people understand the difficulties that come with maintaining such an environment.

It's a very demanding part of the game, and to be honest, the playerbase has a lot of potential to make it a lot less difficult if they'd consider the needs of the game over the wants of their own self. If you would rather a potentially great position remain unfilled simply because you don't think it can live up to the expectations of the past, you're only looking out for your own interests, which does nothing to cultivate an environment where the community wins at large.

• I dunno' - my desire to take the Celani plunge waxes and wanes. Not that I'd be picked out for it or anything, but the first step is the application. When it comes to the notion of giving up the only character I play here, and all mortal ambitions, and (more importantly) all of the mortal friendships and rivalries and ties...Yeah, I waffle more than IHOP on that point. :frown: 

• Bronislav said:
    I dunno' - my desire to take the Celani plunge waxes and wanes. Not that I'd be picked out for it or anything, but the first step is the application. When it comes to the notion of giving up the only character I play here, and all mortal ambitions, and (more importantly) all of the mortal friendships and rivalries and ties...Yeah, I waffle more than IHOP on that point. :frown: 
    Understandably!
  • Sarapis said:
    Daeir said:
    The only recourse you have then is to introduce new Divine with their own fields and realms, honestly. Can't leave things as they are now.

I'm not sure why you think there are people waiting to take on God roles that aren't currently Gods or aren't currently in the Celani/Demi program!
    A...

God's are scary...

• Tried it and enjoyed it so far! Its a lot of fun and a decent challenge with some colourful descriptions. Only issue is the 5k gold reward is a bit underwhelming for how much time is involved especially the tougher beasties.  It would be cool if there was also some things they dropped that weren't automatically cashed out but could be traded (working perhaps similar to the rare minerals but different functionality).
  • AnnwylAnnwyl Vancouver, B.C.
    It looks like the value of a windcutter has just bottomed out since they're incapable of dealing with monsters effectively. Flares stun momentarily, but wardiscs don't do anything, apparently. Maybe, once all the areas where the monsters may be found are identified, sailing a cutter won't be too bad, but the fun is reserved for the big, expensive ships.
  • @Annwyl

- Ballista darts and war discs will do damage to the seamonster.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Deathsights for sinkings just look like regular sinkings. Any chance we can get deathsights that at least indicate what seabeast ate them? 

• Skye said:
    Deathsights for sinkings just look like regular sinkings. Any chance we can get deathsights that at least indicate what seabeast ate them? 
    Wait, you mean all this time I've been sinking PEOPLE?!

Oh God! I'm such a monster!
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    So, is there a way the monster rage could be incremented just a tiny bit. I understand they are not mean to be herded away from their areas, but as it is right now you risk losing them with the slightest maneouvres to put some distance between you and them.

Or, if not, some kind of warning that you are sailing away from their range? Could even be a differently worded attack like, "A sea hag bats at you mildly as she starts to lose interest'

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
     "A sea hag bats at you mildly as she starts to lose interest'
    lol ..
    but yeah..totally agree with this request

Anyone taking note of the sea monsters and their descriptions? I think it'd be cool to add a wiki article for information's sake, and maybe for the crafters to use to introduce more seafaring themed items into the game. Or even just posting it on a thread for someone who knows how to make an article would be neat, too.

@Jarrod - Thanks so much for sharing. That's awesome!

@Elowin - would you mind sharing yours as well?

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Jarrod said:

We saw a leviathan that sank Shirszae, but decided to continue sailing away before taking another pass to check its description.

Like that, except more hysterically. >_>