Seafaring PVE

Comments

• Sarapis said:
    Kyrra said:
    Puzzle pirates so much fun.
    Three Rings (the company that made it) was founded/run by my oldest friend in the games industry. He started in MUDs too.
    If they could just put that damn game on my phone I'd be all over it. (I know they tried ipad unsuccessfully for whatever reason)

Its just not a "sit at my pc" game for me. :anguished: 
  • This looks awesome.  As someone who's never sailed in Achaea before, this definitely makes me want to give it a try.
  • Tahquil said:
    If anyone is interested this is what it looked like when Aerek and I went out and nearly lost my cutter testing the waters.

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/d25aa464
    What am I looking at? This Just like any other conversation with Taraus.
  • Query, do people dousing get credit for helping with the hunt? Do want to let those with fewer lessons in seafaring get involved.
  • Pretty self-explanitory, but: 

We found a monster in the Phocian reaches and danced around it as we learnt about how scarily close you have to be to them to be in range. We got a few shots in, Aerek died and the ship itself had a very narrow escape as its hull was reduced to splinters help together by force of will alone.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Brings up a question: Would it be possible to revise the syntax for using a spyglass? at the moment it is either INFO <direction> or INFO <direction> <thing>.  I'm not entirely sure but does this work in an 8 or sixteen point direction. Do you have to move the ship until it aligns with a compass direction to see the monster?

I thought it may be handier if we could INFO <thing> of in case of multiple targets INFO <thing> <direction>.

Would be easier to use (for me at least) because I can see this happening with my clumsy fingers.

Crewmate : Captain! Sea hag to the west!

Tahquil swings her spy glass to the east, her muttering about hallucinations cut off by a surprised squeak as a tentacle yanks her from the deck.
  • @Tahquil The crew (yay ship jokes) is looking into making this a bit less clunky as we speak.
  • edited January 2016
    @Lorielan : Cooooool. Would the crew (yay recycling jokes) also be looking into exposing some of the more hidden components of sailing?

I.E. I know that you can FILL BUCKET WITH WATER while on a ship if you have an empty bucket and a rope commodity, however, that was knowledge passed on by sailor to sailor and I can't find it explicitly written anywhere. Are there more handy little trick like this the general populace doesn't know about?

2nd I.E. Amphoras! I know I was told you can somehow envenom ship ammo with them.. somehow.....
  • My favourite is leaping from the crow's nest into the rigging. (That's as much as you'll get.)
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    edited January 2016
    Bring a Druid. Reclaim the ship (For NATURE!!!!!1!1). Smother all ship flames in one fell swoop.

Have tested this thoroughly. Can completely envelop a ship in vines at no sacrifice to hull health or ship aerodynamics.

However, vines can't reach riggings or crow's nest, so have a backup plan for those.
  • Has anyone killed a creature  on a solo run on a cutter?Is it even possible?

• I think you'd have to find the weakest one to try.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited January 2016
    Kayeil said:
    I think it'd be cool to add a wiki article for information's sake
    Done. http://wiki.achaea.com/Category:Sea_monsters

edit: there are at least twelve kinds?

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    @Tibitha sent me a letter with some sea monster descriptions, but I'll let her post them, or I'll post them later if she gives permission. :)
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• It would be interesting if they dropped something a ship could use to either repel or attract sea monsters. Gives us something to put on the open market.
  • I have to say that this change has actually made me interested in Seafaring. May delay investing lessons in Magi a bit longer and Trans it.
  • Kayeil said:
    @Tibitha sent me a letter with some sea monster descriptions, but I'll let her post them, or I'll post them later if she gives permission. :)
    Oh! Go ahead, they're somewhere in my logs at home.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited January 2016
    This wasn't too bad. View from a galley:
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/e2aba8d0
    (it's maybe the last part)

This was horrible (and awesome):
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/263dc4cd

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"

• - 2016/01/20 08:13:07 - Gina's death goes unnoticed, inconsequential to the leviathan of legend that
    caused it.
    - 2016/01/20 08:14:12 - The flickering candle of Greys's life has been snuffed by the rising of the
    wine-dark sea as it also received his ship's twisted wreckage.
    - 2016/01/20 08:14:12 - The flickering candle of Halos's life has been snuffed by the rising of the
    wine-dark sea as it also received his ship's twisted wreckage.
    - 2016/01/20 08:14:12 - The flickering candle of Morthif's life has been snuffed by the rising of
    the wine-dark sea as it also received his ship's twisted wreckage.
    - 2016/01/20 08:14:44 - Distressing images from the Phocian Reaches of the Eusian Ocean override
    your senses as they depict the narrow escape from death at sea of the crew of The Righteous Fury,
    captained by Greys.
    Ouch.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    These are what @Tibitha sent me in a letter, some may be copies of what is posted above.

You read what is written on a silver-embossed letter:
    The serpentine body of this sheilei shimmers with translucent golden
    scales, measuring more than nine feet in length. Its tail fin nearly
    doubles the length, however, lashing back and forth like a cat's tail. A
    pair of broad, flat pectoral fins extend outward like aqueous wings,
    delicate in appearance yet powerful enough to propel the creature out of
    the water. The most striking feature of the monster, however, is its
    broad jaw and enormous mouth, filled with three rows of razor-sharp
    teeth that curve and twist, locking together like a tangle of briars.
    A flying sheilei appears slightly worn down.

Almost a league in true length, the serpentine motions of this great sea
    snake hide half of its sinuous coils beneath the surface of the waves.
    Iridescent fins frill along the undulating body, enabling propulsion
    through the deep waters of the ocean and churning up pallid seafoam with
    their passage above and beneath the surf. Akin to its landbound cousins,
    but much multiplied in size, the monster's head is that of the classic
    snake's in shape, but larger than a troll. Black eyes stare dully out
    from the blue mottled scaling, and a great forked tongue tastes the
    tidal spray, flickering from between a terrifying set of fangs.
    A foam-wreathed sea serpent appears grievously hurt and beaten, nearly
    beyond repair.

Little more than a flat black glob of slime, the distinguishing feature
    of this tentacled creature is a patch of crimson surrounding two beady
    eyes. Seven serpentine tentacles twitch beneath the shapeless body,
    curling and twisting as it searches constantly for prey.
    A red-faced septacean appears grievously hurt and beaten, nearly beyond
    repair.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• So much fun but so painful. I feel bad for Morthif as we went the whole way with finding only 1 monster then run into that. Well, hopefully can help him cover the costs but this is going to be an expensive venture.
  • Greys said:
    So much fun but so painful. I feel bad for Morthif as we went the whole way with finding only 1 monster then run into that. Well, hopefully can help him cover the costs but this is going to be an expensive venture.
    Harbour salvage is still free right now. Just costs tokens I think.

• pfft, nothing a holocaust can't handle
  • Aegoth said:
    pfft, nothing a holocaust can't handle

• If you blow up your ship with a holocaust, technically the leviathan can't sink you.

Technically correct, the best kind of correct.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Skye said:
    So.... the infamous ship sinking leviathan. As seen from a distance while running the hell away:

Adjusting your spyglass for greater detail, you see:
    The sheer size of this oceanic leviathan defies all mortal perception. The mind only processes fragments: a vast blackness that blots out the sea, howling winds that follow the rippling of its oily outer membrane, a submerged presence that sucks the air from your lungs. The mindless, formless heaving and thrashing of the beast crafts tidal waves and whips the air into a hurricane-like frenzy of destruction.
    A legendary leviathan appears to be brimming with health.

D:

One day, you and I will get it.

There may be thirty others and ten ships involved, but ONE DAY SKYE.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Valkyn said:
    Greys said:
    So much fun but so painful. I feel bad for Morthif as we went the whole way with finding only 1 monster then run into that. Well, hopefully can help him cover the costs but this is going to be an expensive venture.
    Harbour salvage is still free right now. Just costs tokens I think.
    and my poor cargo hold
  • Jarrod said:
    Adjusting your spyglass for greater detail, you see:
    This ship is large but sleek in design, able to cut nimbly through the waves despite its size. Manned 
    by a motley but efficient looking crew, the ship is equipped with an onager, ballista, and Arcanian 
    arm thrower: sufficient weaponry to intimidate any ship caught unawares.
    A pirate ship is bleeding lightly from shallow wounds.

Just found this one!
    ...One of you is a fucking traitor.