Forays: A Review.

Comments

• Armali said:
    As I understand it, Ictinus will give them the honors line manually because there wasn't one in the first place and they bitched.
     EFA
  • edited June 2020
    He unravelled the Paradox, defeating Phinnis, the Riddle Master, and his magical guardians.

Wooo. I'll take it. Thanks @Ictinus!

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Let's clear some things up -

The first completion didn't have the honours line properly programmed to automatically award and given this foray's nature as something of a special event, the first group to complete it were all manually awarded a custom honours line by me as a result of that oversight. This was a one-off for the first completion.

Subsequent completions had a short-lived similar issue but now appropriately award the person with the killing blow the line, consistent with other honours mobs and things of this nature.

Bitching has very little to do with any decisions we make as a team, if it did I am certain I would be far more popular than I am!

"If you build it, they will come."
  • Ictinus said:
    Let's clear some things up -

The first completion didn't have the honours line properly programmed to automatically award and given this foray's nature as something of a special event, the first group to complete it were all manually awarded a custom honours line by me as a result of that oversight. This was a one-off for the first completion.

Subsequent completions had a short-lived similar issue but now appropriately award the person with the killing blow the line, consistent with other honours mobs and things of this nature.

Bitching has very little to do with any decisions we make as a team, if it did I am certain I would be far more popular than I am!

Did you fix the foray reset bug that Hashan came across?
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Astarod said:
    Ictinus said:

Yeah, that's been fixed
  • Rhivona said:
    Astarod said:
    Ictinus said:

Yeah, that's been fixed
    If you added spiders, we're going to have problems. 

• Can the Paradox Foray potentially get a 2nd instance set up, or some such? It's cooldown is kind of extensive if multiple groups want to attempt it.

That or institute a 24 hr c/d period between attempts (pass or fail) so that others with a map are able to do it.
  • edited June 2020
    Adrik said:
    Can the Paradox Foray potentially get a 2nd instance set up, or some such? It's cooldown is kind of extensive if multiple groups want to attempt it.

That or institute a 24 hr c/d period between attempts (pass or fail) so that others with a map are able to do it.

I agree with this sentiment. BUT, please don't make the map disappear and then return. I like my map. I'm emotionally connected with my map. Please do not take my map away. 

Edit: @Adrik I think it'll have to be more than 24 hours. When multiple groups get paradox figured out, then it might get worse. Hell, we have three maps in existence right now, and because of people wanting to try it (through our two maps), there's a line. I'd much rather have a second instance though.

• Forays are deliberately not instanced content and they will remain so going forward. Competition for them is something that has not been a problem in the past for various reasons but it is also not something we view as a problem now that the fundamentals of the system leave room for it to grow in the future.
    "If you build it, they will come."
  • Fair enough!

Hear that @Astarod ? You're gonna be Grasstarod whenever you go to that foray board >:(.
  • Adrik said:
    Fair enough!

Hear that @Astarod ? You're gonna be Grasstarod whenever you go to that foray board >:(.
    Ictinus just mad that I got 100,000 points on his forays. Deliberate admin bias against Babystarod.

• Phaestus said:

Kog said:
    Let me ring the bell more after Borgron's dead. :(
    lorielan_no.png

Borgron's death is a mighty victory for the Intrepid, and all who have suffered from his reign of
    terror. Your foray is complete!

You swiftly ring a small brass bell and send its tones cascading through the fortress.
    The clanging of a bell tears through the air.

A small brass bell has already been rung.

In response to the bell tones, the figures of the corpse of Lieutenant Kurz, the corpse of Corporal
    Gunyar, the dungeon master, and the corpse of Lieutenant Yarek burst through the southern doorway,
    leaping toward the captain with their weapons drawn.

I won, but at what cost? :(
  • Kog said:
    Phaestus said:

Kog said:
    Let me ring the bell more after Borgron's dead. :(
    lorielan_no.png

Borgron's death is a mighty victory for the Intrepid, and all who have suffered from his reign of
    terror. Your foray is complete!

You swiftly ring a small brass bell and send its tones cascading through the fortress.
    The clanging of a bell tears through the air.

A small brass bell has already been rung.

In response to the bell tones, the figures of the corpse of Lieutenant Kurz, the corpse of Corporal
    Gunyar, the dungeon master, and the corpse of Lieutenant Yarek burst through the southern doorway,
    leaping toward the captain with their weapons drawn.

I won, but at what cost? :(

My beautiful darling wife, 
    I cannot apologise enough for my actions,
    I realise the gifts were a bad idea, 
    Please come back to me, and forgive my mistakes.

• Astarod said:
    Rhivona said:
    Astarod said:
    Ictinus said:

Yeah, that's been fixed

Don't worry, all 32 small black spiders are safe and sound in my taxidermied humgii pack, not sure where the medium hound-sized jumping spider ran off to, though, hm.
  • Rhivona said:
    Astarod said:
    Rhivona said:
    Astarod said:
    Ictinus said:

Yeah, that's been fixed

Don't worry, all 32 small black spiders are safe and sound in my taxidermied humgii pack, not sure where the medium hound-sized jumping spider ran off to, though, hm.
    Fyte me.

• Can we talk about how ridiculous it is to have to search thousands of wilderness rooms to get to a foray?

• Cooper said:
    Can we talk about how ridiculous it is to have to search thousands of wilderness rooms to get to a foray?
    This x 1 Billion.

*Although, of COURSE in true Achaean style... there is a talisman that allows you to bypass this searching

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I think searching for the forays is fun.

They can do a couple things to make it better though, such as make forays distinct from random wilderness exits.

Still though, even searching alone, it's never taken me more than 20 minutes to find one.

And with a group, usually it's only 2-3 minutes of looking.

• I agree that making foray exits distinct would be better. Maybe like, a gold (mountain-esque, but full) background with a bright red foreground ? exit character. Something obvious. As it stands, I use the sea map to make sure an exit is an exit and not a foray, just so I don't have to start the timer and weaken my group's attempt to check an area.
  • I just want to do PERFORM FORAY and have it autocomplete all of them please.  Kthx

• Just add them to survey.
  • Gallida said:
    Just add them to survey.
    Amazing idea!

@Ictinus

• Another thought would be to have foray entrances appear differently on wilderness than the usual exits (e.g., have the ? symbol be colored differently for forays).
  • Distinguishing it by colour might be a problem for sight-impaired players. Of course, the whole wilderness map is probably not easy to deal with for them... Dunno how that works with screenreaders and stuff.
  • edited June 2020
    Iocun said:
    Distinguishing it by colour might be a problem for sight-impaired players. Of course, the whole wilderness map is probably not easy to deal with for them... Dunno how that works with screenreaders and stuff.

Maybe just simply "!" instead of "?"

Also, @Phaestus could you check for a fire rate bug on Fortress Mage and Brutes for teams of 6? Seemed like a huge step up vs 5.

• Astarod said:
    Maybe just simply "!" instead of "?"
    "!" already denotes a player. Honestly having it show on SURVEY would probably be the best solution. For sight-impaired people uh ... Wilderness map in general likely doesn't play well with screenreaders.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• I know someone in Cyrene uses a screenreader and has something set up for wilderness exits, I'll check with them and see what they do.

I suspect they're already processing the map though, somehow, so putting a red background color is just another check in the trigger?
  • It now displays on SURVEY at close range. (10~15 tiles?)
  • Adrik said:
    It now displays on SURVEY at close range. (10~15 tiles?)
    Gonna do paradox now or what?

• It's a little disheartening when you complete a foray talisman, and it ends up not working. In this case, spending several times and doing about a dozen runs of the Margam, rounding up a crew in hopes of finding out where the wheel talisman leads us... only to find it doesn't work. There's been no feedback, but if there's any kind of reward or honours line on being first (and there absolutely might not be, which is also fine), we'd lose our lead as we wait for a bug report that hasn't seem to have budged ever since the ISSUE ME was converted to one.

I originally didn't want to post at all, since I probably sound pretty entitled now considering there's a lot of bigger things going on and I'm sure there's bigger issues and bugs to tackle. But after the effort put in and all the excitement of finally going to find out what would happen it's... a bit of a bummer.