Forays: A Review.

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Kog said:
    Astarod said:
    Kog said:
    Duo and trio feels fine. I'm pretty happy with everything on the lower end, though I know a lot of you are doing max numbers or have more arties than I do.
    They're back to doing 3K damage and have the con of the bosses in some cases (only doing like 1-2% damage). Fortress also doesn't lower the # of mobs like aran'kesh when you add more, which might help when you have only 30 minutes. 

I've been on Fortress, Margam and Barrows so far since the changes, and I've been able to chew through the adds with about 20m left with Nephiny/one other (once sub 80, once dragon). Might be a specific foray issue, or a bad combination of mobs?
    How are you mitigating the ogre dmg? I tried with two sub 80s and anything more than 2 at a time (mage + brute) just wiped. Just now three mages wiped my team of three dragons relatively quickly, also taking around 30-40 seconds to bash down per npc. 

EDIT: Oh, Neph is bard. That helps a lot against most of the mage dmg tbh. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Astarod said:
    Kog said:
    Astarod said:
    Kog said:
    Duo and trio feels fine. I'm pretty happy with everything on the lower end, though I know a lot of you are doing max numbers or have more arties than I do.
    They're back to doing 3K damage and have the con of the bosses in some cases (only doing like 1-2% damage). Fortress also doesn't lower the # of mobs like aran'kesh when you add more, which might help when you have only 30 minutes. 

I've been on Fortress, Margam and Barrows so far since the changes, and I've been able to chew through the adds with about 20m left with Nephiny/one other (once sub 80, once dragon). Might be a specific foray issue, or a bad combination of mobs?
    How are you mitigating the ogre dmg? I tried with two sub 80s and anything more than 2 at a time (mage + brute) just wiped. Just now three mages wiped my team of three dragons relatively quickly, also taking around 30-40 seconds to bash down per npc. 

We also just never pull more than 2 mages.
  • Kog said:
    Astarod said:
    Kog said:
    Astarod said:
    Kog said:

We also just never pull more than 2 mages.
    The brutes also deal non-trivial damage. They can 2 stack kill dragons now too, though. I suppose it was bad RNG, but I still feel like they shouldn't be a 30-45 second bash. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Did a five man Icosse last night with four dragons and one non-dragon and no deaths. Maybe you just need to be better at clearing?
  • Armali said:
    Did a five man Icosse last night with four dragons and one non-dragon and no deaths. Maybe you just need to be better at clearing?
    Icosse is fine. I'm talking about Fortress. Haven't done aran'kesh yet. 

• edited May 2020
    Observation: It is not necessary to do more than 2 ogres at a time with the new mob density in the current balance patch. Seems like if you are, then you're doing something wrong.

• Finally beat Horald. @Nephiny brought balance to the force and insulted me the entire time, which apparently helps. Horald is now definitely my favorite in terms of design- he's mean but mostly fair, though I'll admit certain legenddeck cards helped a ton.

Also, I flipped the boat after we won and I think that might be a tradition from here on out.
  • Can confirm as a two-player Dragon group:
    Any more than two ogres at a time and you're both dead. If you're on a fresh pull and a patrol strolls in, GG. Or in our case, time was steady ticking down and a room with three just would -not- separate so we could kill individually. The damage + hit speed was taking like an extra two or three steps ahead of my curing speed every ~3 seconds.
  • edited May 2020
    Cobault said:
    Can confirm as a two-player Dragon group:
    Any more than two ogres at a time and you're both dead. If you're on a fresh pull and a patrol strolls in, GG. Or in our case, time was steady ticking down and a room with three just would -not- separate so we could kill individually. The damage + hit speed was taking like an extra two or three steps ahead of my curing speed every ~3 seconds.
    This has not been my anecdotal experience based on the three dragon-duo Fortress runs I have done in the past few days since the change, as long as there is not more than one mage. I won't post everything here but think about who in your group is turtling vs. attacking and who you are each targeting. Obviously it's trivial if you have something like a Matic, but even without it, it should be very doable.

But I also agree with Santar that groups of 3 can mostly be avoided with sufficient patience. Lowering the total number of ogres in the Fortress has helped significantly with the timer.

I have not really tried with 3 or more participants yet, which might be substantially more difficult.
  • Cobault said:
    This is player error. It is simple to get denizens to spread damage. You can't always just hit KILL TARGET and expect to win.

• edited May 2020
    Axios2 said:
    Cobault said:
    This has not been my anecdotal experience based on the three dragon-duo Fortress runs I have done in the past few days since the change, as long as there is not more than one mage. I won't post everything here but think about who in your group is turtling vs. attacking and who you are each targeting. Obviously it's trivial if you have something like a Matic, but even without it, it should be very doable.

But I also agree with Santar that groups of 3 can mostly be avoided with sufficient patience. Lowering the total number of ogres in the Fortress has helped significantly with the timer.

I have not really tried with 3 or more participants yet, which might be substantially more difficult.
    ehhh, Matic isn't really as good currently. The denizens have so much health that you can burn one-three charges on a single one when you have a group of 3 or more. Duos is -mostly- fine, but you still see them group up in teams of 7-13 ogres. Also, there was a shadow update, so a lot of people are using old logs that aren't applicable anymore, so some of y'all are just blatantly incorrect. 

• Duo fortress with DWC/Serp, only burst on 3 ogre pulls. Bad crit luck and being too lazy to use cooldowns contributed, I'd have been fine in dragon too I think.
  • Did a three man fortress with three unartied dragons. Went smoothly besides a friendly fire accident at the start. Three ogres were almost untankable without splitting aggro correctly, but two ogres were fine, and we never had to do a three ogre pull. The situation Cobault illustrates where you have a patrol wandering in when you're fighting is rare and easy to mitigate entirely.

• 22:55:30 You breathe a long torrent of flame at Phinnis, the riddle master, igniting his skin.
    22:55:30 You have slain Phinnis, the riddle master, retrieving the corpse.
    22:55:30 A curious rift opens in the garden floor, and snow begins to drift through.
    22:55:30 A monarch's ransom of golden sovereigns spills from the corpse, flying into your hands before they can reach the ground.
    22:55:30 You receive a page of aged vellum!
    22:55:30 Your intrepid have braved the trials of Phinnis, the Riddle Master, and emerged successful. Your foray is complete!

No honours line so far... I really hope my entire party gets it if it is one... (hopefully Seragorn's crew didn't take the only honours line). 

• edited May 2020
    Considering we've been enlightened to the fact that various artefacts contribute to scaling on top of highest level, I'm going to just go ahead and ignore everyone telling me I'm wrong.
    My two-man group isn't 100% geared the same way as your two-man group.
    Split aggro for damage was attempted and still led to deaths. I don't particularly care what your argument is at this point about it being 'our fault'

To clarify what I'm saying: Scaling based off arties owned is stupid. I kinda understand why it's there, but don't tell me it's our fault when we did the literal things suggested and still died.
  • Astarod said:

22:55:30 You breathe a long torrent of flame at Phinnis, the riddle master, igniting his skin.
    22:55:30 A curious rift opens in the garden floor, and snow begins to drift through.
    22:55:30 A monarch's ransom of golden sovereigns spills from the corpse, flying into your hands before they can reach the ground.
    22:55:30 Your intrepid have braved the trials of Phinnis, the Riddle Master, and emerged successful. Your foray is complete!

No honours line so far... I really hope my entire party gets it if it is one... (hopefully Seragorn's crew didn't take the only honours line). 
    Gotta be an honors line for that one... there's an honors for Icosse and Margam, so it wouldn't make sense if there wasn't.

i'm a rebel

• Tesha said:
    Astarod said:

22:55:30 You breathe a long torrent of flame at Phinnis, the riddle master, igniting his skin.

Gotta be an honors line for that one... there's an honors for Icosse and Margam, so it wouldn't make sense if there wasn't.
    Sera said @Ictinus had to manually give them the honours line. Wonder what the bug there is.

• As I understand it, Ictinus gave them the honors line manually because there wasn't one in the first place and they bitched.
  • edited May 2020
    Armali said:
    As I understand it, Ictinus gave them the honors line manually because there wasn't one in the first place and they bitched.
    I mean, it's definitely the hardest/challenging/time consuming foray out of the ones I have mastered. You guys didn't have to deal with riddles/monsters since Phinnis has a bug where he doesn't reset from attempt to attempt, talking with Adrik, it looks like some of the doors stayed open too. I hope we get the line (if there is one) though, since we had to do the entire foray and kill all the bosses.

There isn't a special talisman piece, nor anything else though. If there's no honours it'll be hard to motivate people to try to figure it out IMO. I can't say if it's harder than Margam, but anything that takes 6 hours + and 200+ deaths should give some form of a reward for completion :(

• It is by far the hardest one when everything is working right. From reports I’ve heard, both of you got by spots we had to puzzle out without doing anything.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited May 2020
    Atalkez said:
    It is by far the hardest one when everything is working right. From reports I’ve heard, both of you got by spots we had to puzzle out without doing anything.
    They reset our rooms halfway through so we had to do everything, sometimes things twice, and even one thing three times. 

Adrik's group just pk'd Phinnis in the first room. I'm jealous :(

• Astarod said:
    Atalkez said:
    It is by far the hardest one when everything is working right. From reports I’ve heard, both of you got by spots we had to puzzle out without doing anything.
    They reset our rooms halfway through so we had to do everything, sometimes things twice, and even one thing three times. 

We did just PK him in the first room, yes. The Foray is horrendously buggy, and I'd love to do it with things actually working instead of not being reset from Astarod's 36 hour attempts.

I want to see the entire thing-- and figure out wtf the Obsidian Keep is. >:(.
  • Armali said:
    As I understand it, Ictinus gave them the honors line manually because there wasn't one in the first place and they bitched.
    TIL expecting consistency and voicing that expectation is bitching. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I'm so curious about all this stuff! Having only done Aran'kesh, Fortress, and half of Margam (the group leader I was under having blamed me for someone else going east twice...), I'm REALLY loving Forays so far and want to do so so much more.

If I go donate a ton to Targ or Hashan, can I get in on Astarod or Adrik's cool guys club? ;_;
  • Meriet said:
    I'm so curious about all this stuff! Having only done Aran'kesh, Fortress, and half of Margam (the group leader I was under having blamed me for someone else going east twice...), I'm REALLY loving Forays so far and want to do so so much more.

If I go donate a ton to Targ or Hashan, can I get in on Astarod or Adrik's cool guys club? ;_;
    Yes. Please. Thank you. Xoxo
  • No. Your half-light wings are an abomination.

i'm a rebel

• edited May 2020
    Love you too! <3

Edit: I put 'half-light' as the descriptor because I couldn't put "twilit" or "twilight" without, y'know... The Connotations™, and dusk/dawn didn't feel quite right. :p It's really not as horrifying as you think! Besides, full light burns, hiss, boo, stay indoors or something.
  • Astarod said:
    Atalkez said:

Why would you be jealous that the foray was bugged such that we couldn't do it? Why would anyone want to walk into Paradox and get a free complete? That is not why we took the foray...

We are waiting for the bug to be fixed so we can do the actual foray. :(
  • Farrah said:
    Astarod said:
    Atalkez said:

Why would you be jealous that the foray was bugged such that we couldn't do it? Why would anyone want to walk into Paradox and get a free complete? That is not why we took the foray...

We are waiting for the bug to be fixed so we can do the actual foray. :(
    I was teasing. I would hate to be in your shoes. I just wish our completion would get manually fixed (honours line), since we did all of the tasks. No point in trying it till the honours is fixed after you figure out all the tasks, though. 

• 17:45:33 Icraa rips into Phinnis, the riddle master with his massive, deadly claws.
    17:45:33 Phinnis, the riddle master has been slain by Icraa.
    17:45:33 A curious rift opens in the garden floor, and snow begins to drift through.
    17:45:33 A monarch's ransom of golden sovereigns spills from the corpse.
    17:45:33 You receive a page of aged vellum!
    17:45:33 Your intrepid have braved the trials of Phinnis, the Riddle Master, and emerged successful. Your foray is complete!

We did the whole foray again. They definitely altered some aspects to make it harder. Can we get the honours line now?