Adventure Updates - Daily Credits!

Comments

• I wish I was as edgy and cool as you. One day, maybe.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    I wish I was as edgy and cool as you. One day, maybe.
    Dude's profile pic is Deadpool. you got no chance unless you put a TDK Joker quote/pic in your sig and even then it's a maybe.

btw admins, thanks for this system. it's p cool.
  • Late to the party as usual, but I kinda feel like putting my two cents in for once.
    I'm enjoying the new adventure system! Earning 5-10 credits a day is great for me, considering I'm a level 86 unartied Serp with 4060 hp lol. It's much more than I could have feasibly bashed for on my own in the same amount of time I sink into doing them. I cant handle the big stuff, but it's been great going out with citymates to hunt and cheesing the arena adventures. (Seriously admins, please don't fix them anymore, I totally get the minor change with the class specific kills or whatever, I just skip those, but most of the other arena ones are nice and doable even for someone who is completely inept at combat like me.)

Not sure how much my opinion counts considering I was truenew on Cere when I started, and still have plenty to learn.
    I dunno, the cap is just that: a cap. I don't expect to get there, and the people that manage are probably the folks that least need it, but whatever, I don't ever expect to 'catch up' to the more hardcore folks running around with every artie they could possibly need, plus another half dozen I've never even heard of.

Another thing: I like to sail, the adventures listed for seafaring work in nice if I wanna voyage or do the rare decent ship trade, but I don't feel compelled to go sailing specifically because of the adventures. If I'm doing it anyway, it's just a layer of icing on the cake, and if it makes more people go sailing, then I guess that makes it sprinkles on top?

Could the new adventuring system use some work? Absolutely, sure! Am I grateful for it anyway? You betcha.
    Maybe let us trade in the talisman pieces? But real talk, that's just from my own greed, and I get why it's not allowed.
  • Cerenea said:
    Maybe let us trade in the talisman pieces? But real talk, that's just from my own greed, and I get why it's not allowed.
    You can trade them to other players, which means you can sell them. Not quite as easy as redeeming them, but it's a way to get extra value from something you don't necessarily want for yourself.
  • edited February 2020
    Vakvyr said:
    Atalkez said:
    Dude's profile pic is Deadpool. you got no chance unless you put a TDK Joker quote/pic in your sig and even then it's a maybe.

It was an actual pic of me for years up until like a week or two ago so sure, super edgy, generic profile pic havin dude that I've never remotely seen IC.

Edit! I wanna stay on topic: I hope they roll back the cap to 10 bound credits a day to ensure everyone can reach cap easily. That'd be the best route to take.
  • Cobault said:
    Vakvyr said:
    Atalkez said:

It was an actual pic of me for years up until like a week or two ago so sure, super edgy, generic profile pic havin dude that I've never remotely seen IC.

Edit! I wanna stay on topic: I hope they roll back the cap to 10 bound credits a day to ensure everyone can reach cap easily. That'd be the best route to take.
    No.
  • Cobault said:
    Vakvyr said:
    Atalkez said:

• edited February 2020
    I'd probably have a bunch of alts and then bitch, whine and complain about how I can't load them each up with arties for free by doing the most minimal amount of effort in the game every day.

That seems to be something a true genius strives for.
  • Maybe this was mentioned in an announce, but it seems that the renown MSGs have been fazed out whereas the "you've received 1 bound credit" MSGs persist. That's a welcome simplification.
  • Caelan said:
    Seriously... the hypocrisy of shitting on him because he disagrees, while pretending to have the high road for the sake of the community and discourse.  He is entitled to his opinion on the matter.
    While I agree wholeheartedly, that Cobault, and literally everyone else on these forums, is/are entitled to his/their opinion, sharing that opinion by insulting people kind of negates them having to be nice back. He's definitely not the innocent party in any of this.

On topic - The cap should be achievable by anyone, and everyone, willing to put in the work. Some people might have to work a little harder than others to do so, but saying people of a certain level deserve less than people that are 99+ is absurd. I've spent far more money on this game than I'm ever going to admit to anyone, and even I think new players should be given 'some' form of catch-up.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• Vhaith said:
    He's definitely not the innocent party in any of this.

I disagree. I didn't insult anyone until I was basically already being called names and being told that the fact I worry over my own friends and loved ones first instead of being out here trying to be humanitarian to the world made me, essentially, a piece of shit.

I might be bias but I for real just re-read my first three posts and don't see anything in there that I'd consider insulting. Idk though cus some people are potatoes and some are eggs. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Because your mindset and opinion are based entirely around what is best for you, as a person, and not on the concept of others/the game. Perhaps handing out 20bcr a day is unhealthy, we don’t know, but right now making that harder for others because it’ll make you feel worse is ridiculous. I have a 50k escrow, proficy/cooper/antonius much more, seragorn/mindshell much much more, and for all but ant/mindshell I’ve been told the new system is great for them, novices in mdor and midbies even in other cities that I have helped love it too. You also have access to being ahead of the novices, since they and you can earn 20bcr a day.

keeping it arduous so you can be lazy is ridiculous. If you are afraid of your escrow being made to look tiny you can also participate and push up those numbers. Just because the rest of us had to drop big $, or grind for weeks, or scrimp and save doesn’t mean new or unartied players should just get shunted. I would be more than happy to have few ways for me to cap easily and people with sub 5k escrow the ability to cap in 2 hours. 

Stop worrying about what other people have, or can have or get, or that it sucked for you so it should suck for everyone else. That boomer mentality should be fucking buried, and if that upsets anyone, you are welcome to ping my inbox, I care about everyone being able to catch up to speed, and participate without massive time sinks, or join me sailing/raiding/rping/forays/exploring, not killing 20 different named mobs and curing off in the arena. 

To any player who struggles to cap: hit me up IC or OOC, if I alone can make people depressed about the stature of their escrow, I’m all in, even my own.
  • Minifie said:
    Because your mindset and opinion are based entirely around what is best for you, as a person, and not on the concept of others/the game. Perhaps handing out 20bcr a day is unhealthy, we don’t know, but right now making that harder for others because it’ll make you feel worse is ridiculous.

Stop worrying about what other people have, or can have or get...

But like.. the system was put in place because people felt it was best for them, as a person or would assuage some ridiculous guilt for earning things.  It just happened to be easily colored as "good for the game" too because people like free stuff. Literally made it easier for others because it made you feel better...could be seen as equally "ridiculous". And people posting here were doing so literally because they were worried about what other people have, or can get.  You can keep calling that 'boomer' but then your perspective gets called "millenial entitlement" and we are back to calling each other names (passive aggressively or otherwise).  We were told to move on by Nicola, so let's just do that.

Now, I DO admit the talismans and stuff only made the gulf and paywall that much higher, and this band-aid fixes some of it while allowing newbies and midbies to actually play a game that is advertised as "free to play" despite the obvious fact it is increasingly difficult to do so. Let's just keep it to constructive criticism of the system.  I think it is more than fine as is and we don't need to be handing out 50cr a day or anything crazy.  In its current capacity for bcr it is more than generous to what it was.

• 1: nothing in this system is “free stuff”, you don’t just log in and get given credits for logging in. You still need yourself, or someone/s else to play, to actively go earn said rewards. Believing it is “free” because it doesn’t cost money is flat out wrong. 

2: the stark difference is that no matter what little ones have, the system lets me have that too. Currently, though, even with 50k and level 138 I can cap my renown in an hour and gain gold, and potentially massive amounts of unbound through other means because of my already existing investments. This is fine, but some level 60 shouldn’t be spending 4 hours alone to cap, those bounds are going to unlock basic needs in the game ( skills ). Have you tried doing many of even normal adventures with 2.5k health and fabled tekura? 

3. The only entitlement is the feeling that one’s investment is lessened because of others being able to earn the same through newer and more agreeable methods. The only thing I am entitled to is that I can share my opinions and wants for the game without the devs banning me simply for my thoughts. If you want to make sure those without have to struggle harder, fine, but I WILL call you out on it, and use reason as to why.

Nothing else in my post was refuted, and you still haven’t given any good reasons mechanically why smaller chars can’t also cap their renown in a more time efficient manner, they can’t cap at even 4x the speed i can, or you, or cobault, they can’t do some of the things i can to cap as well as drown myself in additional lucre. The request being made is that capping renown not be something you get for 15 mins, but have a much more diverse path for all, which at this time means the lower escrow/levelled players need more renown/renown earning conditions.

If you don’t want this changed, fine, say as much, but neither you nor cobault have bought up how such change would negatively impact the game, player retention, or how such things would be worse for players, only that said changes would make one feel “upset” that others can earn as much as they have now. Have that mindset if you want, but I will not feel abashed, nor guilty for calling it entitled or dumb. 
  • I think it's absolutely ridiculous to say that it's free renown, either. While some of us are able to do Icosse in 30 minutes, or slay Jeramun/Yuthka reliably, I think the broad majority of players rely on finding denizens who are alive, ships to embark/disembark, or hope someone takes them along. I would love for there to be level based renown rewards (for instance, why would I as a dragon, deign to hunt Kurgo? etc.). I love the idea of a city based renown reward set.

To be brutally honest, I don't think escrow has a huge effect on gameplay. Sure, does it make fighting difficult? Yeah. Is it impossible to kill people who have huge escrows? No. I think that the mentality "They can't have what I have because I paid" is null, since most people who think like that are worthless to the game anyways and pretty unskilled in general. Most heavily (or even mildly) escrowed players (Seragorn, Proficy, Penwize, (now, kinda?) Atalkez) seem to want to have rewards for accomplishing some of the more painful aspects of the game for all players, and I think this change supported that train of thought. 

The only major world-level difference that I've seen coming from this is player retention and player community building. I've connected with plenty of big players, small players, and random players to do renown on a daily basis. I enjoy this change. 

A thought, though, and hear me out. Small players are not supposed to stay small forever. I played a year without these rewards. Perhaps people unwilling to attain dragon, shouldn't be given a handicap because they didn't decide to grow. There is a difference in true novices, and 499 year old sirens who are level 50, after all. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Exactly.

This game already has the wealth generates wealth issue. What we need is a system, just one, where newbies benefit more than veterans. Something that can springboard new players to viability and then taper off once they're reaching critical mass. For people at or above critical mass (like myself), we already had so many advantages. Sub 4k escrow should have 3-5x renown rewards for everything they do. The rest of us can participate in the system at normal rates and let the newbies actually have an edge in a system finally. 
  • Cooper said:
    If the goal was to shrink the gap, lower levels would generate more renown than higher levels/artied.
    So... the thing that people wanted that I was arguing against? Because shouldn't we want a broadened gap between free and paid, since otherwise there would be no reason for a paid model?... Thus, no one would feel inclined to spend money at all?..

I just can't wrap my head around how fixated some of you people get on one thing when someone mentions it. I brought up my escrow as a guideline comparison for where I'm at after years as a pretty damn low spender, I wouldn't even call it casual. That guideline comparison was simply to compare how fast 20 credits a day for a single year could make up for years of what I've gotten. It wasn't me trying to say that it would upset me or some shit because I've spent $ so other people should too- I simply don't give a shit about other people, new nor old, getting quick and easy and fast rewards. (See bottom bolded) It was a comparison of my play time to "value" on my character. You people that are trying to drag your dick by stating how much bigger your escrow is than mine or how much more you've spent do nothing to change the argument, lol. If anything, you are all the ones that feel you have a more entitled opinion simply because "I've spent MORE than you, therefore, you're wrong. Don't bring up how much YOU spent."

But it's for real like you people do NOT look at the bigger picture. You don't look at the future. You don't CONSIDER the longevity nor the balance that must be maintained for the game's health. Don't say you do because you don't. We don't all get to play all fucking day, 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. Quite a few people do. Those people will become "I'll never spend a dime" players on this system, moreso if reaching the cap of 20 a day is made easier (the ENTIRE reason I started commenting and arguing to begin with.) If the admins have said several times that they just barely make enough to pay everyone that gets a paycheck and to keep the lights on, like I said somewhere else- they're gonna at some point "crunch numbers" on adventures, lock them in a spreadsheet, and write up an argument that the system is costing them theoretical revenue. Then it'll be another ruined system due to the changes they'll have to make to adjust accordingly.

And if you don't think people that are in Achaea all day every day can "ruin stuff for the rest of us," I can seriously just point at the shiptrade nerf and the gold cap as two quick and dirty examples.

Y'all are short-sighted and it hurts. Once you got an artie, that's it, you got it - unless you trade it in for some reason. But why would you if you can clear 20 bounds a day pretty easily? I don't mind the bounds a day. That part is awesome. But here's my original argument and I think it got lost somewhere in all the back and forth:

Hitting the cap of 20 a day isn't even really that hard if you just play the goddamn game. There's no reason a brand new player should be getting that 20 EASILY every day. Learn the game, play the game, EARN the game. Handouts do NOT make a game better, it kills a game. If they give with one hand they'll have to take with the other. I can hit half the cap in under 2 hours easy af and not only am I mediocre, I'm not a Dragon. I'm pretty sure if I wasn't on constant baby duty now, I could full cap it no trouble, since it would give me a reason to learn voyages like it gave me a reason to learn how to use Yggdrasil, Nur, where this mob spawns, how to get from here to there, etc. Legit this system is teaching me to get better and better at playing and I feel like that's the thing people should focus on, not the goddamn reward that some people scream "IT AINT ENOUGH" - They can give us all 2k credits tomorrow and some of yall mfs I swear to God would be like "I mean 2k is only two midbie arties so they could have at least made it 3k." or some shit like that.
  • I'm definitely not worried about people getting stuff too easily with this system.

What does somewhat trouble me however is the effect this has on the game environment from a roleplaying perspective. Checking off your daily adventures has a browser-gamey feel to it that doesn't help much with a feeling of immersion in a realistic, breathing world. I don't like people joining arena games and heartstopping, to check off that box. I don't like people dragging others off to Saar-elan to complete an exploration adventure. I don't like people discussing on city channels how they feel pissed that X or Y "stole" their hunting adventure boss, and most particularly, I don't like feeling the need to check if there's an adventure for something before you do the thing, because otherwise you'd "lose out".

It makes the game feel much more mechanical than it needs to, which is a bit of a pity.
  • Passive bonuses versus Embarking I feel solves that issue.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • You can't 'steal' a boss anyway. So long as you're in-room when the mob dies, and have hit it at least once, you get credit. Seems like there's a few who don't realise that, though, I've helped a number of people the past few days who didn't know you didn't need killing blow.

• Power creep is real though. Back when I started playing years ago it wasn't usual for people to be omnitrans, lots of people didn't even get to trans their class skills. Now you need to trans and get a couple of low grade arties to be considered even a marginal threat.

With the entry point a lot higher now than it has historically been (the survival change lowered it by a couple of hundred credits but still) giving  people ways to get up to the basic entry point for the section of the game that has the vast majority of invested resources is a good thing.

• Atalkez said:
    Passive bonuses versus Embarking I feel solves that issue.
    I agree that this would go a long way in the right direction.
  • Atalkez said:
    Passive bonuses versus Embarking I feel solves that issue.

Yes pls. Especially since there's a number of adventures that have virtually the same completion requirement.

• UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    edited March 2020
    Reyson said:
    Now that this has been around a bit, I have to say I'm not a fan of how much the game has turned into a complete-the-adventure grind. I'm sure it'll taper a bit more, as it gets less fun to do the same things over and over, but hunting for renown isn't engaging, story-wise. And while it drives participation, especially in groups (a good thing), it means that people basically don't do anything that doesn't net you renown at the moment (a bad thing). 
    Could be that you're right, but I think that with time it will slow down and not have much bigger impact than other money generating activities have on the game.

Most people don't like to spend 80% (or more) of they're time hunting, but most top ranking xp players do. With the change to adventures people now have an extra avenue for wealth generation, and while it also is a "grindy" one, I don't think it will magically make more people want to spend 80% (or more) of their time grinding. 

What might change is that people who don't like the grind will substitute their irregular hunting with low effort adventures. If they don't really like hunting, I dont see how spending less time hunting and more time on adventures, should make a big difference. People still need experience, so I think it will be a mix for most people of some easy/medium adventures and some regular hunting.

• Renown is hard to come by, speaking as a fairly newbish player who also unfortunately plays off-peak. So, most of the time I can spend in Achaea has to go towards getting renown.